PDA

View Full Version : Question about your male wardrobes.

ReineD
03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi all, my question comes from having read this thread (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128323). I understand having no interest in a male presentation if someone is TS, and it is hard to tell exactly how each of the respondents in the thread identify themselves.

But I often wonder why, if a CD identifies alternatively as a guy and as femme, or specifically if s/he does goes back & forth happily and does not begrudgingly appear as a guy because she feels she has to, then why would there be no interest in the male clothes? In the thread, many people seemed proud of the fact they don't have suits or dress shirts. It seems as if this would limit the places that a CD can go to as a guy, where people do dress up a little more such as a nicer restaurant, a benefit, a wedding, or whatever.

Isn't limiting the male wardrobe also limiting the male experiences? Might this be done subconsciously? Again, this question does not apply to those who have no interest in being male.

Ashley Allen
03-17-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure I am going to really answer this... myself, except for the fact that I work in an office and have to be dressed professionally, I would be content in jeans and a t shirt.

I found my fasination with checking out womens clothes shopping magazines an oddity, until I started actually purchasing a feminine wardrobe. The oddity was always because I could care less what I wore. In fact my SO has been picking out my wardrobe as long as we have been together.

So window shopping, I have always done, and then when I actually went shopping for my own fem wardrobe, I was bewildered by my own behavior. I enjoyed shopping. After some thought on the subject, I have determined that men simply have boring wardrobe choices. 1 suit looks like the next, with only subtle differences, and shoes are pretty much the same, I do not own a pair of mens shoes that I like, and as such I may as well settle for whatever is on the clearance rack.

Is this because I think I am a feminine soul in a mans body, which I do believe, or is it simply because men DO have boring clothes choices. I don't know.

But I didn't own a suit until after I started dressing, never had a reason to, many men are this way, why own something you will probably wear once. Wardrobe usually isn't too restricting, as men that don't like to "dress up" don't like going where they have to "dress up".

Now I am more aware of how my clothes make me feel, and so even in man mode, I desire to look my best. Except on those sweat pants and t shirt feeling days.

melissacd
03-17-2010, 02:22 PM
when I moved out from living with my ex wife and because I work for the most part from home, I decided to throw away all of my male clothes and construct a sorta male look as needed from my female clothes. So yes I even threw out the dress shirts, the male shoes and the suits.

So far, I have been able to get by just fine because there are so few occasions that I require to dress male that my makeshift attempts to construct a male look work. I have been completely shut out from the old social network which was in fact my ex-wife's family and friends and so there is no need to accommodate them. My kids know and have seen me dressed so there is no problem there. I have been separated from my ex for going into my third year and I have yet to meet a dressing challenge that required me to buy male anything which is a great relief to me because I hate male clothes and I see purchasing any as a big waste of resources that could be allocated elsewhere and for better purpose.

So it is possible to not have any male clothes and still get by just fine.

AllieSF
03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
I am not one of those who detest, or said softer, dislike, their male clothes. I always wore a suit and tie to work and liked how I looked and enjoyed dressing up as a guy. My non-work clothes included good quality and looking, more classy than trendy, clothes, plus the requisite Levis, shorts, tee and polo shirts. Now that I am semi-retired (kinda) I have regressed to the stereo-typical male habit of wearing the same Levis forever, the same shirt until even I get tired of it. I think that most of this came on because I started crossdressing (3 years ago). So, my focus has been exploring my styles and looks (on a thrift store budget) and having a great time, and I do. When necessary, I still like to get dressed up in guy mode in something stylish, though what I have now is on the verge of being out of style!

To clarify, I am a crossdresser, not wanting to be a woman and I easily go back and forth with some telltale traces (clear coated nails, trimmed eyebrows and shortened and bleached arm and leg hair during the warm months) carrying over from my femme side to my male side. I just enjoy dressing up, looking good, at least in my opinion where it counts the most, and going out to mainstream venues to interact and interface with the real world out there. I also know very few males who do not make some minimal effort to try to look good in male mode. That may be attributed to the type of people who are my friends and acquaintances and what type of places I frequent. Who knows? I do think it matters a lot to those who are really into their femme side and dream, wish and/or truly want to move more and further in that femme direction away from their male side.

TNRobin
03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I have suits and whatnot, and I dress/present myself as a guy most of the time. I like both sides of me, but to be honest, men's clothing is pretty boring.

Think about it. The last suit that I had made the guy that I usually deal with handed me the fabric samples and as you go through them you'll find 200 different shades of gray, or 75 different shades of black. There's really not much variety in suits at all unless you count ties and owning a number of really nice ties is incredibly expensive, and I just don't find it very expressive.

Now when you get to women's clothing you have TONS of variety, different cuts, styles, colors, etc. Much more interesting.

suzy1
03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
That’s an interesting question. I love being suzy but I also enjoy the “other bloke” and like to dress in good clothes, smart shirts and trousers. The funny thing is as time goes on I am getting more and more interested in Suzy’s clothes. But that’s because I can now live as suzy whenever I want and have the money splash out a bit.

SUZY

eileendover
03-17-2010, 02:36 PM
... But I didn't own a suit until after I started dressing, never had a reason to, many men are this way, why own something you will probably wear once. Wardrobe usually isn't too restricting, as men that don't like to "dress up" don't like going where they have to "dress up".

Exactly, Ashley. I have one nice suit that I only wear for job interviews, funerals, and weddings - and I have a small selection of ties to go with it. For any just-kinda-fancy place (like a restaurant), I usually stick with a nice shirt and sweater.

For better or worse, today there are very few places that require jackets and ties, and guys just seem to naturally stay away from those places.

Oh, and guys have no problem looking the same from one time to the next, or looking like any other guy. Makes life such simpler, but not really less fun.

Miranda09
03-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Well, my male wardrobe is limited, but not because I dont like to present as a guy...because I do, but because I just don't have time to go shopping for clothes. Besides, guy clothes are boring!!!!!! :) However, after saying that....I need to go guy shopping soon!!!!! :D

Sonia_cd
03-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Reine, I would have to agree with you. I am quite fond of my male wardrobe and though not as diverse or colourful as my CD wardrobe, there is some variety there. As a matter of fact I completely enjoy dressing in a suit should there be an occassion or being smartly attired when at work or because I felt like it. Do I wish I had the freedom to wear the skirts that I wear as Sonia? Sure, but that's a totally different issue. There is no dislike towards my male wardrobe.

Sonia

ChainedJane
03-17-2010, 02:42 PM
In my opinion limiting or completely eliminating male clothing would limit or suppress the "male experience." We are what we wear, as they say, and a lot of us like female clothing for the feminine experience, and likewise would shun male clothing if the male experience wasn't wanted.

Personally, I have two sides to my personality: the manly man Patrick and the girly girl Jane. Most of the time, I'm Patrick who likes playing violent video games, listening to metal and watching war movies. Sometimes I feel... girly... and enjoy dance music, romantic comedies, and feeling pretty. Women's clothing allows me to indulge my feminine side completely, becoming the woman that I sometimes wish I was. But I love being a man and men's clothing as well. I would wear a nice tailored suit every single day if I could. Those who call men's clothing boring just haven't experienced the joys and true extent of men's fashions. Or maybe it just isn't their bag.

The clothes make the man, or in a lot of our cases, the woman. :battingeyelashes:

Sarah_GG
03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Sorry... it's a bit boring that I'm always speaking on behalf of my SO... it's just that my SO doesn't tend to come here preferring to spend any free computer time looking at women's clothing sites! :D

A couple of weeks ago my SO bought three new pairs of jeans/casual work trousers (exhibition industry doesn't do suits) and proudly stated "that'll probably do me for the rest of my working life" :eek: His male side does always looks very well turned out.

However... the female wardrobe is a continual work in progress. In the last week I would guess that at least 40 items - from full-blown Danny La Rue outfits, countless pairs of shoes, to MORE peignoirs from the States plus two successful auction bids on mixed lots ("right bust size") that have yet to be collected - have been purchased at not inconsiderable cost. And that's not unusual.

I worry that we're going to be engulfed in sequins, netting petticoats and shimmering silk. The majority of it is second-hand and has a certain... perfume to it!

I'm wondering whether I should tell my SO to slow down or quit or whether to just let it take it's course? After all, he has spent a life time hiding his CDing and is entitled to a little indulgence. But how many wedding dresses is enough?

EnglishRose
03-17-2010, 02:55 PM
I've had an irrational hatred of ostensibly male clothing for many years. I think the last time I wore a suit was for an interview for my current job. They're functional items at best.

Reminds me of my friend's sister in junior school. One morning she was forced to come to school in a dress and she was crying her eyes out about it. :(

eileendover
03-17-2010, 02:57 PM
... But how many wedding dresses is enough?

Three. Any more than that is really extravagant.

Sarah_GG
03-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Three. Any more than that is really extravagant.

Three... hmmm... wonder if that applies to GGs too?! :devil:

Oh. And that number was superseded a long time ago.

sherri52
03-17-2010, 03:02 PM
I have kept a suit and if I ever need it again I hope it will fit. The last time I wore it or a dress shirt was three yrs ago 3-16. I go to church every Sunday and the closest anyone dresses in the church is some of the men wear a collard denim shirt, maybe a flannel

eileendover
03-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Three... hmmm... wonder if that applies to GGs too?! :devil:

Oh. And that number was superseded a long time ago.

I knew a GG who bought three wedding gowns, all for the same wedding! Every time she found the perfect dress, she'd later find one that was even more perfecter.

More than three? Just think of how much extra space your SO would get back by unloading the surplus!

Chloe Renee
03-17-2010, 03:20 PM
I think male clothing is boring, I have added colors and patterns. However, I still find male clothing restrictive stylewise.
I really need to buy a suit, but have been putting it off, due to weight loss and changing styles. I don't want to give another suit away without wearing it.
I do what I need to do, I've been in costume for years.
I limit my "male" clothes as follows: I hate polo shirts they are sloppy looking. Same goes for sweat suits.
I try to look neat, a button down at work, at home jeans and tee's. I am the same when it comes to girl clothes, just add peasant skirts, poet shirts and capri's.

As I identified as CD up until recently, I finally admitted to myself that I am TS and have been for years. I haven't talked to a therapist yet so therefore I don't know clinically.
If I were single I would of started RLT probably years ago. I tried to fix myself and found my soulmate. She married a man, a man whom wasn't honest with himself and by proxy lied to her. I carry guilt about the lies but, we have talked since, I admitted to myself what I may be. I respect her wishes and am proceeding at her pace.

I hope this answers some the question.

There would be emoticons but this is from my mobile.

SouthernBelle.GG
03-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Like Sarah GG, I feel like I'm always answering for my SO. Like hers, mine also prefers other sites to visit while online nowadays.

My husband dresses quite well for a man. He's always in dress pants and button down dress shirts. Always. He really likes to present himself well no matter if he's in male mode or en femme. Although, he does have more feminine apparel to choose from. It's just more fun to shop for girly stuff! I'll give him that.

So, the limiting of male experiences because of the limiting of male clothes really isn't an issue here. He likes being a guy and looking nice as a guy. Yeah, I'm no help. :heehee:

Lynn Marie
03-17-2010, 04:24 PM
I like both sides of me and do my best to present myself well. My male wardrobe is considerably bigger than my feminine one. I really like western wear and the choices are terrific. I have 6 pairs of western boots from python to calf skin. When I went looking for a new pair of brown regular shoes last year, I could only find 1 pair that I even half way liked. There's just nothing out there for men anymore.

I have to look a little harder than most for tall sizes and then have to get my jackets altered for sleeve length. My SO appreciates my looking good as I do her efforts.

Part of this may be a delayed reaction to the fact that my ex was a hoarder and slowly squeezed me out of our closet and finally out of our house. Now I've got two closets, all mine, and the hairy ape I live here with.

ReineD
03-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Thank you so much for all your responses! :hugs: And please keep them coming!

I can certainly understand that unless money is no object, men's clothing is limited and drab compared to women's and of course for a CD they are not as much fun to wear. Also, men's suits are expensive, so it would cost a fortune to have the same amount of variety. I am not suggesting this at all. :)

I also get that guys in general would much rather bang around in jeans than have to dress up. Two of my sons are like this. In fact, it wasn't until one of my sons was in college that he looked forward to wearing a collared shirt on occasion ... and that was because his girlfriend encouraged him.

Still, the men I know have a smallish variety of clothes just there, at the ready for when the occasion demands it. It is true they do not experience the intense pleasure out of wearing them as a CD does in wearing a pretty dress. But I do not believe they hate wearing them either. I would liken the extent of my brother's, my father's, my ex's pleasure in wearing the fancier clothes, when required, to mine. It is something that covers the body and it follows the event's decorum. I like to wear pretty things that set off my figure and flatter my complexion, but once I put them on, I don't think about them much. The focus then turns to the experience at hand, whatever it may be. There is no dopamine release for me when I wear clothes, no matter how stylish, except perhaps knowing that seeing me in them might have an effect on my SO. :)

So my question is altered slightly. For those of you to whom it applies, is there an objection to wearing the male clothes (when indicated), or just having them around at the ready, because it doesn't measure up to the pleasure derived out of wearing femme stuff?

Does the impulse to seek an ever improved femme look cause a resentment in keeping a most basic variety of men's clothing?

Just for the record .. my SO and I do have a very casual lifestyle. There is no need for dressing up when we are out in guy mode. But, she did agree to buy a guy outfit for fancier events. We just haven't got around to it yet. :)

Jocelyn Quivers
03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I look at my male wardrobe more as a means of functionality. Meaning for non work situations I have a T shirt, jeans and a pair of shoes. Nothing more is really needed and it allows me to do anything and everything I need to while in male mode. Work attire consist of a few boring suits, shirts and ties (nothing too loud, very conservative in nature). Again it serves the same purpose in that it allows me to conduct business while in male mode.

I have always primarly been of the view point that I did not like spending money on my male wardrobe regardless of my gender issues. When I was younger I would have preffered to spend every cent I had on video games as opposed to clothes. That still hasn't changed except that I now prefer to spend every cent I have on my fem wardrobe.

Basically my male side never has and never will be the type of guy that is interested in sporting the latest Tommy Hilfiger, FUBU, Polo, or Rocawear outfit. Maybe it's the one benifit that my male side does have in that I can wear very bland boring clothing and have no limitations as a guy.

kaitlin
03-17-2010, 05:26 PM
I guess the best way to answer this is to say that I have a nice collection of both male and female clothes. Pretty much what ever comes up I've got something to wear. The only thing male I do not own any of is underware. I only wear cotton, microfiber or silk panties!

Ruth
03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
I guess I would agree with Jocelyn that functionality is the word when it comes to my male wardrobe. I like my male clothes but they are very much costumes for the various roles I carry out as a man.
My female clothes on the other hand are mostly not functional but are just to express my feminine side. I do have a few outfits that I bought purely to have something sensible to wear when I go out as Ruth, on shopping trips etc.

Cheryl T
03-17-2010, 06:08 PM
In my case I have always worked in areas that either required a uniform or where dress attire was not the standard. I do own a suit but rarely wear it as our circle does not include venues where such attire is required or the norm.
I suppose that is why I pay more attention to my female wardrobe and take greater delight in being able to wear pretty things and look my best.

eileendover
03-17-2010, 06:22 PM
.... For those of you to whom it applies, is there an objection to wearing the male clothes (when indicated), or just having them around at the ready, because it doesn't measure up to the pleasure derived out of wearing femme stuff?

Does the impulse to seek an ever improved femme look cause a resentment in keeping a most basic variety of men's clothing?

Nope, no objection or resentment at all to having and wearing male clothes - whatever the occasion calls for. I do indeed like that "the occasion" usually doesn't call for much variety. Guys are fine dressing just like every other guy every day. Whenever it makes sense, I'll even buy multiples of exactly the same item of clothing in the same color. Simple is good.

Dressing femme is completely different, and I would never buy two of the same thing. Different looks are kinda the point, even when not "required" by the occasion.

Cassandra Lynn
03-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I pay slightly more attention to my clothes in the fall and winter, when there is a better chance to be stylish, but as others have stated my clothes are as functional as need be. My summer attire (it gets very hot here) is basically shorts (denim or cotton blend/khaki) and a tropical type button down or a tee. I've really no need for a suit. Don't do weddings, or have an office job, and most of the better restaurants round here have a casual dress code. Most of the folks who have passed away didn't require me to don a suit to go see them off. I like to look presentable enough but casual cause i'm that kinda guy. :straightface: mj

Alice B
03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I have suits, sport coats, lots of dress shirts and even a tux. When I'm dressed as a male (Most of the time) I like to look my best in all situations. The same applies when I'm dressed as Alice. My feeling is that one should always take pride in how they look.

Imogen_Mann
03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
My male wardrobe... Ok, I don't have a dinner jacket, and I don't have anything resembling a dress suit, but then I have never needed to own such things. I do have two suits that are worn for Hatchings, Matchings and dispatchings but luckily for me, my work is a non suit tidy casual environment. That's not lucky for any pro-fem reason... I just don't like wearing suits that much, they are not comfortable for me for other reasons.

What I do have is a fair stack of neat and tidy clothes that I wear 'everyday'. They are either smart, or casual but all in good condition and although not 'labels' they are mostly good quality and all comfortable.
I do also have a heap of old untidy clothes, but I often spend upward of three hours on my back under one of my classic cars, and I wear these warm scruffy clothes under my overalls when its cold.

One last pile of clothes... the wonderful "should have grown out of that" pile, the slogan teeshirts from years ago, the Black leather bikers jacket I got when I was 17, the jeans I was wearing the day I caught fire etc. Kept more for sentimental value than any real use as clothes.

Should I need to dress up for an occasion I would do, and would have no problem looking smart. Probably presenting better as male than female to be brutally honest, as I have the right body shape for male cut clothes.

Given the option I would love to dress fem much more than I do, but I don't let that detract from my looking at least presentable as a man.

Barbara Dugan
03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Most of my male wardrobe is just my work uniform..most of the time I just wear a white or black t-shirt and jeans

jenifer m.
03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
i would say that i enjoy both modes of dress.i have almost equal amounts of clothes.however my thing is i mix almost every day.for example i might do a ball cap a mens tee shirt,with womans jeans,pantys,some hose,and some mens or womans clogs or flip flops,and of course i always wear a toe ring and clear nail polish.so i would say i like both ways so much that i choose both at once.

Loni
03-17-2010, 07:13 PM
most of my male clothing is over 5 years old.
i am not a ts due to i want to keep my extra bits, but i just find calm while dressing in women's clothing.
on a odd occasion i will buy something male...but just have so many jeans, slacks and shirts...my mom just keeps buying me T-shirts, got a big pile on the shelf, must be 100 of them, some never worn.

only real mens clothing i wear is work clothing, (provided by my company).

i add to loni's side almost every week. can not go into the store and not buy something....and i got the check book to prove it. :eek::heehee:

t-girlxsophie
03-17-2010, 10:59 PM
I have enough of a male wardrobe to get me by in my male life.I never feel the need to go and buy more as i cant raise any enthusiasm for this chore.but I wouldnt say I disliked my male clothing.Usually Xmas time,and presents of male clothing fills my wardrobe up every year

On the other hand,give me a full purse and a shopping mall,and Im there all day long,I just find theres far more colours,fabrics,looks etc to give me more pleasure in anything to do with my female wardrobe

PS I really should stop saying my female wardrobe,its MY Wardrobe

Veronica Nowakowski
03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
My femme wardrobe is both more expansive and nicer than my drab wardrobe. Though I do have several dress shirts, they're basic, nothing special. I have what I need for work and a few t-shirts that have messages or anime I care for. My en femme wardrobe is thought out and varied.

Rachel2000
03-18-2010, 04:50 AM
As odd as this may seem, my male wardrobe is probably right on par with my female wardrobe.

When I think about it though, I only started to improve my male wardrobe after I came out to my wife. Prior to that, the 3 or 4 suits that I owned at any given time were good enough for work and some ratty old jeans or sweats were good enough for weekends.

These days I have at least 15 taylor made suits, every pair of jeans I have are a designer label as are all the shirts I have (tees included). I don't know how many pair of mens dress shoes I have but its at least 10.
The reason for the change?

Well to be honest my male side seems to be a carryover from Rachel who like any other woman refuses to wear the same thing twice in one week and so goes the same for my male persona.

Just as I have to look my best as Rachel, I also do the same for the guy in me.

Go figure.:brolleyes:

StarrOfDelite
03-18-2010, 04:26 PM
I have a huge wardrobe full of men's clothes. In my case, at least, it's a matter of economics and occupation coupled with inclination, rather than sexual orientation.

Just like women, men at a certain employment level aren't dressing for women, they're dressing to impress and intimidate their co-workers and competitors. Very much the same reasons why women dress in elegant clothes to go to parties.

The folks who say men's clothes are boring have never felt the hand and weave of a really good, custom tailored B2 or Oxxford or RLPolo 3-piece suit, or a cashmere crew-neck over a silk turtleneck, or the complete comfort of a well-fitted pair of Allen Edmonds shoes. Those suits cost around $2000 each, and the shoes round $300-350 a pair. Good men's clothes and shoes are Expensive.

I enjoy Casual Fridays as much as the next person, but wearing a faded, tissue-thin T-shirt, worn out Faded Glory jeans, and sneakers held together with duct tape isn't stylish for anyone.

Looking good is looking good, no matter what gender you feel like. If you're a slob as a man, why would anyone expect you be fastidious as a woman?

Sherry Lynn
03-18-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't understand how someone who dresses in nice women's clothes can be shabbily dressed in mens. When I go out I always do a little overdressing whether it be male or female. I don't even own a pair of jeans or wear t-shirts.

Dee2U
03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
I wish I could afford to be a true metrosexual. I enjoy fashion, period. I prefer women's clothes (duh) but appreciate and wear men's wear with a classic, preferrably European styling. I have a slender frame and look good in men's wear.

The problem is there are no inexpensive places for finding top quality men's fashion anywhere but in the largest of centres where they have the outlet stores. I live in a small city and just dont have access. I cannot afford $300 shoes, especially if I want a femme wardrobe too....Dee

Ruikki
03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Actually I have a very strong investment in my male wardrobe. I am VERY particular about my clothes and I think that I will be taking that into my consideration when shopping for women's clothes. Ive always been considered metro... The thing is. I LOVE clothes. Ive just transitioned/expanded my love from the Mens side of the store to the Womens (il just walk in between!)

ReineD
03-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Thank you everyone! :)

As always, there is not one rule that applies to all. Some threads in the MtF seem to indicate a very strong dislike for the guy side, which seems odd to me, unless someone of course is TS.

Rachel Morley
03-18-2010, 06:59 PM
My 2 cents in all of this is that while I don't own any suits and ties (not anymore anyway since I changed jobs) and also I don't even own a button down shirt either, I don't feel bothered one way or the other. I don't feel deprived at all and I know my wife would like me to own some nice guy's semi formal dress pants and shirts but we haven't gotten around to getting me any yet as we don't really go out anywhere nice for me to wear them (not in boy mode anyway). Even at nice restaurants, here in Sacramento, everyone dresses down and dresses very casual. If the need arises, then I'll buy some but until then I'll stay as I am.

To be completely honest, I would say that IMHO, buying guy clothes for me is almost a waste of time as even in my boy mode it's unisex girls clothes, even at work.

sissystephanie
03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
First of all, I am a MAN! Yes, I am also a Crossdresser who loves to wear feminine clothes. But as a sales person who primarily calls on the elderly as a man, I do have to wear suits. Actually I like to wear suits!

But I also like to wear dresses, skirts, and other feminine apparel. There are 3 bedroom closets in my house, plus 3 other portable closets in the finished basement. My male clothing is located in 2 of the bedroom closets and 2 of the basement closets. But if I put it all together, it would fill maybe one of the portable closets! All the rest is Stephanie's clothing, not to mention all the drawers filled with lingerie, stockings, etc.! I do have 6 suits, and numerous sports coats and slacks. There is many more dresses than suits, and way more skirts and tops than sport coats!

So yes, I am a man! But I sure do love wearing feminine finery!!

AmandaM
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
It can be somewhat cultural. Where I hang or work, it's usually a maximum of "corporate gear", collared shirts and slacks. But most of the time, it's blue jeans or shorts. Most of the places I've worked, it's normal to see shorts and even sandals on guys, and I have an office job. This is SoCal so there is a certain suit-phobia. Ties are considered ancient history, or "east coast". Personally, as a surfer/biker type, I view ties as "slave clothes". This brings me back to the cultural thing. If I was a woman, although I like dressing up, I'd prefer to wear tops and jean skirts. Everyday. No need for more clothes unless I'm going out. I did buy a suit a couple of years ago, but I only wear it to funerals or job interviews. I would never wear it anywhere else. There could be a wedding I suppose, but I've also gone to weddings on the beach where everyone was barefoot in Hawaiian shirts or less.

Sheren Kelly
03-18-2010, 08:14 PM
My male wardrobe is larger than my feminine wardrobe mainly because male clothing is something I need to have as part of my work life. I have to loook the part to keep my job and good relations with my family. Feminine clothes are something I enjoy on a personal level. Not much more than that.

AKAMichelle
03-18-2010, 08:21 PM
I own the suits, ties, dress shirts and multiple shoes in male clothing. Since I work out of the house most of the time, I end up wearing sleep pants and T-shirts mostly. When out blue jeans and either a T-Shirt or polo shirt is the required uniform.

It takes 5 seconds to figure out what to wear in male mode. The clothes last longer because a polo shirt looks the same for years. If the shirt is taken care of, then you don't have to buy another one. There is just no excitement in male clothing. I guess like you say below it is just clothes.

It is something that covers the body and it follows the event's decorum. I like to wear pretty things that set off my figure and flatter my complexion, but once I put them on, I don't think about them much. The focus then turns to the experience at hand, whatever it may be. There is no dopamine release for me when I wear clothes, no matter how

Jenny Beth
03-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Interesting question. I wouldn't say I was proud of the fact I don't own a suit or tie, I just don't. Part of the reason is I've hated dress shirts and ties ever since I was in school, it was mandatory and I was a bit of a rebel. And I live in a very rural area, anyone seen dressed up is either going to a wedding or a funeral. I've rented suits the odd time for weddings, three or four times in the past ten or fifteen years but who's counting. Fancy restaurants? Decent slacks and casual shirt...no not plaid. And for funerals, well I have had several friends pass away in the last few years and none of them ever saw me in a suit so I figure I'll pay my respects in the way they knew me. Which brings me to a friend who passed away just last summer. No one ever wore a tie in his house or the scissors came out. At his memorial out came a pair of scissors, it's what he would have wanted. So I'm not alone in my aversion to ties.

ReineD
03-18-2010, 10:07 PM
This is SoCal so there is a certain suit-phobia. Ties are considered ancient history, or "east coast". Personally, as a surfer/biker type, I view ties as "slave clothes". This brings me back to the cultural thing. If I was a woman, although I like dressing up, I'd prefer to wear tops and jean skirts.

Agree, on all points. :) Suits and ties aren't worn all too often anymore. I do like the look, but only under certain circumstances.

This is what I was thinking of earlier: there is no collar, no tie. OK maybe the sneakers with it are a bit much for some people, but the rest looks great, especially with the bag. Or maybe without the bag. I love the long coat best.

http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/fashiontribes_fellow/images/mens_fashion_25.jpg

Opinions?

Most of the clothes I wear are black or ivory too. It it simpler for me to accessorize this way.

Joanie_Shakti
03-18-2010, 10:09 PM
I love the look and feel of women's clothes. When I get a catalog in the mail, I drool over the pretty women and their pretty clothes, wishing I looked like that. Though I'm often disappointed when I see something I really like that doesn't come in my size, I'm also relieved becaust then I won't be tempted to spend money on it. I've mentioned in other threads that in the past year, I've spent more money on women's clothes than I have on guy clothes in probably the past ten years.

That said, I'm still a guy, and don't go out as Joanie. Living in the Arizona desert, it's hot, so the town is pretty casual for guys. My work clothes are jeans, walking shoes, and a sports shirt. Off work, I'm usually in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and flip flops. If it's a bit cool outside, I'll trade the flip flops and shorts for boat shoes without socks and jeans. I'd love the opportunity to dress up but I don't have a local girlfriend to dress for and most of the social activities are Dockers casual at best.

When on vacation in San Diego or Phoenix, I'll trade my cheap Hawaiian shirts for silk shirts, Tommy Bahama's, and higher end sports shirts. Still in shorts for day wear though. I'll also wear these shirts locally if I want to look a bit nicer for a movie or social occasion. I have a good GG friend in the San Diego area and we always go to a fancy restaurant and clubbing when possible, and we also enjoy seeing plays. I'll dress up for her on those occasions and I enjoy it. I only own one suit, my "Funeral suit," which was bought in 2001 when my grandmother died a couple of days after September 11. So that one isn't that enjoyable to me to wear. I like sportscoats, but where I live, it's too hot most of the year for them. And I got into ties for a while, after discovering Jerry Garcia ties at the San Diego swap meet years ago. Again, too hot where I live for them and most guys don't wear them except when work demands it. And I've even stopped wearing them in San Diego as most people at the clubs we go to are more casual than that.

I'd love to have an Armani suit or one of similar design, but due to the frequency of occasions to wear it and the fact that I keep gaining weight, I can't justify spending money on something like that. I'm even a bit disappointed that a sportscoat I bought ten or so years ago that I really liked doesn't fit anymore.

So I don't resent my male side and I enjoy wearing fine men's clothing. But due to where I live and my activities, I save my nice shirts and sportsjackets for rare occasions.

darla_g
03-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I have lots of male clothes because that is what i wear normally. I try and look nice, but no expensive suits or anything.

I don't have an extensive CD wardrobe. To be honest i don't get to do it enough to justify it. I get such a laugh when i hear someone who says they have like 145 panties. I know most women (GG) who don't have that many!:Angry3:

AmandaM
03-19-2010, 01:01 AM
For me, it's seems kind of retro English punk. But it would work for me if I was a thin white guy with, oh, dark hair. I'm more of the sport coat with suede elbow pads when I wear serious clothes. Interesting though!

This is what I was thinking of earlier: there is no collar, no tie. OK maybe the sneakers with it are a bit much for some people, but the rest looks great, especially with the bag. Or maybe without the bag. I love the long coat best.
[URL="http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/fashiontribes_fellow/images/mens_fashion_25.jpg"]
Opinions?

tonixd
03-19-2010, 01:15 AM
hummmm..... this is an interesting question.
I generally avoid my masculine clothes as a rule. I still own them and will wear them, (i.e. if I have to be on stage) But, I far prefer my sundresses and skirts to pants and a t, those pants and t be masculine or feminine.
Hope it helps.

And, yes i know, I haven't been on in a long time. Been very buzy... omg.

Nicole Erin
03-19-2010, 01:49 AM
Very simple - a CD takes male clothing for granted.

Most CD's just don't care as much about their male looks as they do their femme side.

Now I am sure I will get a reaming for THIS statement but really, I imagine if most CDs really had to choose, they would probably opt to be female. Why? Cause once again, a GM takes the maleness for granted.

ReineD
03-19-2010, 02:22 AM
But it would work for me if I was a thin white guy with, oh, dark hair.

lol. Everything works if you're a thin [insert race] [insert gender] [insert hair color]. :)

SusieK
03-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Being a guy, presenting as a guy takes no effort - you 'pass' regardless.
Being a guy, presenting as a girl takes effort.

Even to fool myself I have to pay careful attention to body shape, colour matching, trying to consider the ensemble rather than just individual items.

When shopping for clothes (rarely in either mode to be honest) I find that I don't actually like much of what's out there for either gender, but at least I have an interest in the female stuff.

Susie

Satrana
03-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Isn't limiting the male wardrobe also limiting the male experiences?

Sadly no. Men really do not need a variety of clothes, we can get away with just a few items. This is not just a CD issue, it can be found throughout the male community. There is nothing in the male upbringing that encourages them to become fond of clothes or their appearance in general. Indeed to spend any attention on your appearance immediately make you a suspected gay. So men basically just ignore clothes in favor of computers or cars etc. Clothes simply do not present most men with any excitement or pleasure.

Most men left by themsleves would only shop for clothes once a year and that is just to replace those which are worn out. In fact once men are married their wardrobes are usually updated by the wife so they may go many years without ever buying anything for themselves.

And of course for a CDer, all the focus is on building up the female wardrobe. Without a money constraint, CDs routinely buy hundreds of outfits. I would say this is part of the girly validation process knowing you have outfits for every conceivable occasion even though you will never have the opportunity to wear it.

For myself, if you ignore the dress shirts and pants I need to wear to work, my causal male clothes consist of 6 jeans and say 20 Tshirts/polo necks many of which are old.

gabimartini
03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Reine, I also don't get what's to be proud of about not having male clothes, CDers-wise anyway. To me, transgenderism comes from within, regardless of the apparel sitting inside my closet. So, not owning a suit freaks me out as much as not owning a dress, because it limits my ability to fully express either side of me.

ReneeT
03-19-2010, 07:03 AM
I do have two suits that are worn for Hatchings, Matchings and dispatchings

LOL! You Brits definitely have a way with words!:)

gigiluv
03-19-2010, 08:02 AM
I think that any guy is pretty happy with one suit just in case, a couple of dress shirts and a couple of ties. Then for regular dress most of us just wear jeans (the older the better) and pull over shirts from polo to T. It's just the way we are.

As a guy (I speak for myself) I am a very pragmatic dresser. Comfort is the main word. Aesthetics is just unimportant.

As en femme, I care what I look like. I will be uncomfortable for a while if it makes me look good. As a girl, that is what I do. In other words some discomfort is worth making me feel good inside because I look good (or I perceive that I do). As a girl, it is just the way I am.

Jessica2010
03-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I find it amusing that a number of posts in here state things like "most men want x" or "most of us need y". Maybe the irony of such statements on a forum for people expressing their individuality isn't apparent.

My hubby has an extensive male wardrobe, and usually wears suits or at a minumum dress shirt and tie when he's at the office. Dressing smartly and presenting himself in a professional manner is important to him... That's probably why he also wears elegant lingerie and stockings under the suit :o

For those men who condone going out in old jeans, t-shirts and sneakers: Are you the same guys who bemoan the fact that women don't dress to the nines in nylons and petticoats any more? Tell you what... If you start to take pride in your male appearance when you're in "drab" mode, I'll make sure I'm wearing the LBD and killer heels, okay?

brittany michelle
03-19-2010, 09:25 AM
as a guy I like camouflage & black cargo pants, leather combat boots, and converse chuck taylors, t-shirts that are funny or have a cool picture / design, Leather trench coats, top hats, fedoras (real ones),derbys, zoot suits and so-on

as a girl I like pleated pink dresses, Pink Babydolls, bikini style panties, strappy 3 inch heels,mary janes, easter dresses pleated cheerleader's skirts as opposed to the sausage skin ones I’ve been seeing
:404: lol

IM NOt GAY just a Compact Disc LOL :brolleyes:

meow

victoriamwilliams1
03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
We I have more womans clothes then mens however I do hate to go back to male because I do not get enough time as a woman.

Now if male clothes had more verity that would be nice:)

AmandaM
03-19-2010, 08:25 PM
lol. Everything works if you're a thin [insert race] [insert gender] [insert hair color]. :)

OMG! You are so right. LOL!

Joanne f
03-27-2010, 06:08 AM
I do not really know if this go`s here but it is a slightly different slant on your question but still dealing with it in a sense.
We are preparing to go away on a holiday which i know will be special for my wife so we went clothes shopping (for both of us), knowing that my wife is looking forward to it i thought that i should put in some effort and buy some male clothes , OK i find it very difficult to get motivated to buying male trousers but still kept at it looking at different ones but in the end did not get any (yet), on the way back to the car my wife said to me " do you mind if i say something" i jokingly said "well you usually do without asking", to my surprise she said " you are looking at manly trousers and i do not like that as i am not use to you in them .
So i do not know what to do quite yet .

Carroll
03-27-2010, 07:03 AM
I do not own any suits or ties. I can not stand to wear suits (the last one I wore was back in 2000 and it was my USAF class A dress blues and only because I had to). I can't stand ties or anything around my neck. My male clothing consist of jeans, tee shirts and gray hoody sweatshirts. I have khaki slacks and polo shirts for work.

LaurenB
03-27-2010, 07:28 AM
To me, it's a bit like the dichotomy in Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mainenance. Classic vs. Romantic.

Mens clothes are for function and do not have an asthetic component. They are classical, practical; with no extra features save what they are designed to do. They are tools. Womens clothes are purely romantic. They serve to support a wonderful fantasy, an illusion or projecting an image. This of course includes make up and heels and gloves and accessories and the myriad of fanciful designs. Men's clothes are about survival. Womens clothes are about attraction and mating.

Personally for me it's essential to be able to cleave the world and step from one mode (wearing GoreTex lined, vibram soled boots) to the other (wearing patent leather pumps).

It's good to be a man and it's good to be a woman.

Tina B.
03-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Yes I am one of those that have a much larger female wardrobe, than male, properly 3 times bigger. I do own a couple suits, but have not worn them in years. I doubt if they even fit anymore. Small town, no place to go that requires more than a pair of slacks and button down shirt. use to try dressing up but always found myself feeling very over dressed. I have nothing against my male wardrobe, but the stuff seems to last for ever, so no reason to replace or add to it. Although the wife does get me a new shirt from time to time. I don't remember the last time I bought any.
We both buy for Tina, and that must be why my female wardrobe is so big.
I did look a while back, but every thing looks just like the stuff I have had for years, now my new skirts are all different than anything I have seen in years, so it's a lot more fun.
Tina

ReineD
03-27-2010, 09:57 AM
to my surprise she said " you are looking at manly trousers and i do not like that as i am not use to you in them .
So i do not know what to do quite yet .

Oh boy, I can read so much into this. I will likely get it all wrong, :p but here goes anyway:

She could have said this in acknowledgment of her gratitude, knowing that looking for guy clothes is not your favorite activity. She might have wanted to soften the blow of having you feel you need to do this, by saying something that indicates her support of the CDing. She might also have felt some guilt, feeling badly for her need to appear in public with the guy side of her husband. If she is like me, a part of her wonders why she should care about what other people think.

She might have sensed your unhappiness over having to find guy clothes, and is feeling guilty about this too.

docrobbysherry
03-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Of course, I live in a beach community. So, shorts and flaps r normal attire here, for males AND females, all year round.:straightface:

When attending evening symphony concerts at our formal concert hall, I've stopped wearing ties. But I always wear dark dress pants and coat, and black dress shoes. Many older men wear complete suits. However, I'm increasingly seeing younger men in Hawaiian shirts, a variety of jeans, casual pants, and recently, shorts! Usually ALL in lite and/or brite colors!:eek:

I recently met a real estate broker at his muti-million dollar listing. He was wearing a wrinkled, casual shirt, grubby shorts, and boat shoes. Looked like he hadn't shaved!:sad:

I have a closet FULL of fancy dress shirts, jackets and suits! May as well give THEM to Goodwill. Oh wait, I'll save ONE outfit to be buried in!:brolleyes:

It's NO WONDER some of us enjoy dressing to the 9's in LADIES GEAR!:D

markinhose
03-27-2010, 10:44 AM
my wardrobe is definately more female than male. for work im required to be in uniform but i wear female garments underneath. the male clothing i have is purely functional when needed to be just that.

Joanie_Shakti
03-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I wrote earlier that my usual attire are shorts, Hawaiian shirts, and flip-flops. A new night club opened in town that was advertised to have a dress code. Since there are mainly dive bars in this town, the night club, a blues themed place, is highly unusual. As I was going to attend the monthly Bollywood movie at at theatre only a block away, I decided to check the place out afterwards. Highly unusual for me - 50 years old, somewhat a hermit, and had my share of the local dives in my 20s.

I wore kaki Dockers type of pants, a designer sports shirt, and brown and black saddle shoes. Apparently, the dress code was that you had to be dressed in clothes! :laughing: Except for a few guys in suits, who were mainly employees and band members, I was one of the better dressed guys there. I guess the dress code is to keep gang related items out. As I was leaving, I saw the doorman make a guy hand over something, which he put in a glass display case. I looked as I left and it was a ballcap.

The women in the place were dressed to the nines, but s majority of the guys were their usual sloppy, small town Arizona selves.

Dee2U
03-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Its nice to push the envelope a bit. Hey ReineD...Saw the pic....I got a great trench at Winners last weekend that pushes the metrosexual edge. Double breasted, extra zippers. Wore out today with skinny T, skinny jeans, hose, and women's heeled oxfords. Metrosexual or androgynous? Just plain fun for those of us in the closet....Dee

Sarah Doepner
03-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Being a guy, presenting as a guy takes no effort - you 'pass' regardless.
Being a guy, presenting as a girl takes effort.

Even to fool myself I have to pay careful attention to body shape, colour matching, trying to consider the ensemble rather than just individual items.

Susie

I think Susie has part of the key to the issue. There is a big functionality concern here. Since passing as a guy is no issue, we automatically slip to the next level. What is required by the situation we are dressing for and is it possible to be comfortable while meeting those requirements? At work there was a dress code that didn't require a suit, but I had to wear button shirts, slacks, dress shoes, a tie and occasionally a jacket. I tried to find ways to be comfortable and wear the most outlandish ties I could find. Not much but it was a bit of color.

Away from work there were different requirements. Not going to wear slacks to mow the lawn or go hiking, so jeans, shorts, tee shirts boots, polypro underwear, goretex, etc all work in. For dinners, weddings, funerals and the opera standards had changed enough that the better end of the work wardrobe served nicely. Whenever I have the option I pick something from my collection of 'Aloha' shirts, the closest thing to women's fashion that a guy can wear without any trouble at all. So I'm not a fashion horse when in male clothing, but then it was never needed.

However, when I want to wear women's clothing I want to present as close to the image of a woman as possible. The focus in that effort requires all manner of tricks and experimentation with fashion options that can help me get there. The challenge adds quite a bit to the pleasure of the experience. There isn't anything else that even comes close to the satisfaction of finding the right combination of padding, makeup, hair and clothing that create that illusion of femininty. Add to that the textures of the clothing and pleasing scents and I'm just really happy. Once I've been somewhat successful with one outfit, then it's time to see if I can extend the range of my skills and try something else. With the wide variety of womens fashions, it's not surprising that many of us have more women's clothes than mens.

Sometimes Steffi
03-28-2010, 08:43 AM
I present almost exclusively as male. I work in an office, and always wear dress pants and a dress shirt. I also have all the requisite suits, jackets, and ties that any guy would need, but I'm not even sure that my suits would fit since I haven't worn them for so long.

When I first started working, requisite dress code was either a suit or a jacket and tie. Then it went to shirt and tie, then to open collar shirt. A lot of guys at my office wear jeans and polo shirts. I used to wear suits for special occasions, like customer meetings, but even that has gone by the way side.

In men's clothes, there's just not the selection as in women's clothes. I have pants in blue, gray and brown, actually several shades each, but mostly interchangeable, except that some are in lighter colors or fabric more suitable for summer. I used to wash clothes on alternate weeks, so I needed 2 weeks worth of shirts. I was never the white shirt type of guy, so I had (and still do) have shirts in all colors, solids and mostly patterns, and I have a nice collection of eclectic ties, including a number of World Wildlife Fund ties with whales, giraffes, zebras, and wild cats.

When I started getting into women's clothes, I found that there were just so many more choices. Many more colors, types (skirts, dresses), lengths (long, medium, short), and styles (V-neck, scoop neck, etc). So, I may have a larger variety of women's clothes then men's.

Veronica Lacey
03-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Hi ReineD...

All of my life I have cared not to wear suits, collared shirts or attire that requires extra care beyond t-shirts and jeans. To think I have to take extra care to not stain a comparitively costly dress shirt or tie etc, taking it to the cleaners is a headache. Dirty a t-shirt? Into the laundry. Stained beyond cleaning? That $8 shirt is not so bad to toss. I keep one male suit, two shirts, two ties and one pair dress shoes for special occasions but otherwise find no joy in wearing such things. Contrary to what past girlfriends, friends and my wife say I generally have always thought that I do not look very good - or comfortable - in such things.

Yes, female attire requires some extra care but the worlds they are worn in are different. I only dress at home so the likelihood of damaging the clothing is minimal. I do not necessarily look any better in a dress or skirt and blouse than I do in a suit but I feel better.

For a few years now I have attempted to address the clothing inequality in my mind. I would like to actually take some time to refine my male wardrobe to something more respectable for the sake of my wife while also continue gradually growing my female wardrobe.

I sometimes think/hide behind/credit/blame being a Gemini for flopping back and forth. One day I want to look good in male mode, the next I don't care. One day I enjoy my silks and satins and wish to wear them perpetually, the next I am rather indifferent.

So no, I do not resent my male wardobe although I do enjoy wearing my female wardrobe much more. I am striving to find symmetry between both sides of my wardrobe and the desires to live in both of them comfortably. As a side I admit...I much prefer to shop for dresses and the like rather than a suit and such. Much more fun to browse garter belts, panties, skirts and blouses than sift through ties, tie clips, suspenders and slacks. I enjoy looking at all the colours and styles found in the female fineries and speaking with female sales associates is always more fun than talking to a fellow in a suit. Still a guy at heart, I guess :)

Thanks for offering this thread.

Jolene
03-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Like Sarah GG, I feel like I'm always answering for my SO. Like hers, mine also prefers other sites to visit while online nowadays.

My husband dresses quite well for a man. He's always in dress pants and button down dress shirts. Always. He really likes to present himself well no matter if he's in male mode or en femme. Although, he does have more feminine apparel to choose from. It's just more fun to shop for girly stuff! I'll give him that.

So, the limiting of male experiences because of the limiting of male clothes really isn't an issue here. He likes being a guy and looking nice as a guy. Yeah, I'm no help. :heehee:

I have a couple of suits, a sportcoat, and other male dressclothes here. When I need to, I enjoy dressing up in nice male clothes and presenting myself well as your husband does. But I do enjoy shopping for my fem clothes more than my male clothes.
Must be a Lady Thing. :)

AmandaM
03-28-2010, 09:03 PM
However, when I want to wear women's clothing I want to present as close to the image of a woman as possible. The focus in that effort requires all manner of tricks and experimentation with fashion options that can help me get there.

I second this. I dress to the nine's to look as much like a woman as possible. If I could turn into a hot chick at will, I would wear what they wear in Southern Calif. Practically nothing. LOL. Seriously, just skirts and tops, shorts, jeans, flip-flops, wedges, and nail polish. Nothing else required. Half the time I decide not to crossdress, it's cause it's so much work.

TxKimberly
03-28-2010, 09:29 PM
I would have to admit that my male wardrobe is a sad thing. I have a fairly small closet, most of it stuffed with female things, and maybe two to three feet of hanger space devoted to the male. This has actually come to bother me lately because I can't shake the feeling that this says something profound about me, though for the life of me I can't figure out what.
I have sort of made up my mind in recent months that I need to devote more thought and effort to my male clothing. I've even considered the shirt and tie thing though that would make me a target for laughter in my office. Of course I spend a good deal of time away from the office and so can experiment with my male wardrobe without worrying about that sort of thing when I'm on the road.
When I was in the Army, we often had to wear class A dress uniforms with ties and the like, but since I went civilian, I've only worn a tie twice - to my job interview 15 years ago, and when I went to a Halloween party as the scariest thing I could think of - a Republican. ROFL

suchacutie
03-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure that having a femme side, especially one that is really separate from a masculine side, needs to have any effect on the dressing behavior (or any other behavior) of that masculine side.

OKOK..I can hear the chorus now: but the brows are thinned and the hair is shaved and we moisturize, some where matte-finish nail polish (and some not matte-finish), but when in guy mode, we're in guy mode, whatever that mode may be. Some guys just can't stand a tie around their necks, but make is a gold choker and I be there wouldn't be a problem in femme mode. I'm thinking along the lines of "when in Rome, do as the Romans do!".

Having said that, I had no known femme side until 5 years ago, so that part of me seems to have manifest itself partially in using the male wardrobe to my advantage. I love tuxedos, colored shirts and ties, three-piece suits, well-shined shoes, etc. I had male thongs before I had female thongs! So, since that's the way my male self was before Tina, that's still the way he is.

So, when I'm male and out in public, I like looking good. Ok, looking good now might be some lovely tight woman's jeans and tight polo shirt, which look great after losing 35 pounds, or it could be a spiffy suit with a pink shirt and a purple tie!

I guess, for me, clothes is the one thing my male and female sides share :)

tina

Toni_Lynn
03-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Odd duck here -- I try to populate my male wardrobe with girls stuff that looks like guys stuff. For example I saw a girls blazer style pin-stripe jacket and just had to have it to wear in boy mode.

I guess its because I have this thing about girls in guys clothes. I find them incredibly hot. Therefore, if I want to look that good in guys clothes, they have be girls clothes. :confused:

I think I'll go lay down to figure this one out

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

SusieK
03-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Another thought,

One clothes budget, two genders - somethings got to give.

Hey - guy self - sorry you can't have that pair of trousers you need - not to worry, these old ones are just fine :straightface:.

Hey - girl self - sorry you can't have that new skirt you've set your heart on - :eek:

Susie

Samantha B L
03-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I wear male clothes for grubby day to day stuff like keeping up with all the chores in the place where I live. Yet I far prefer the look and feel of female clothing items. I wear male stuff as I go throughout my day because it's a lot more durable for work purposes. And cheaper. If it gets barbeque sauce or cigarette ashes smeared all over it. I've been rebuilding my wardrobe for a couple of years. My wardrobe got left at my SO's house hundreds of miles from here and she passed away 5 years ago. So I've got my wardrobe nearly rebuilt and you don't think I'm gonna sacrifice it to peanut butter,ketchup or dog doo. But if there was a way I'd dress ALL the time.

Lynneth Lee
03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm may be different due to my age. Beeing 75, I grew up in an area when men almost always dressed in a white shirt & tie, even at baseball games, if you can believe it ! I was a mechanical engineer and was required to wear a shirt & tie to work. The U.S.A.F. required a uniform. I got used to being dressed nicely, so I don't mind it even now. Heck, I have a set of "White Tie And Tails" that I ocasionally wear when playing the organ in public. Then again, I love my female clothes for much the same reason all you other girls do. I'm happy either way, but do prefer CDing. I'll even be happier when I finish losing weight and can buy a new wardrobe for Nanette. :daydreaming:

NANETTE FAYE :love:

Kerigirl2009
03-31-2010, 12:19 AM
I seriously think for me it is not the male clothes that I have in my wardrobe. My problem is that they are all the same, sure they are different colors but really no matter the style of mens clothes they are just plain boring. No real other style at all. I have about 20 polo style shirts made by different companies, YET tey all look and feel the same. then I have some button down shirts, pretty much the same only some have a pocket or even two but who cares they look the same. I f I get to dresss up here it is a pair of pleated pants, a button down shirt with a tie followed by a sports jacket. Then the 1 pair of shoes that I have.

Why do they all have to be the same. Same cuts, same styles just different colors.

Now for women think about it different colors, cuts, style, materials, and so many choices of accessories. then think about the shoes so many choices for pretty much every mood.

Women have choices galore in every type of garment they choose to put on to suit each and every mood, Mens clothing on the other hand is all made from the same cookie cutter pattern.

And if you want variety, great you can get a v neck t shirt.

I guess I want more choices, not all men want to look like a rugged outdoors man. Just my :2c: worth

Keri

Karin9
03-31-2010, 01:00 AM
Frankly, I am obsessed with clothes. I used to drive myself mad trying to find men's clothes that I thought were nice and filled up several wardrobes and changed looks several times in the process. I ended up on a kind of metaller look. Still pretty boring. Then I found the answer: change gender (and the long hair came in handy). It's like I have to be very male or very female.

jennCD
03-31-2010, 01:42 AM
I was never one to dress up (besides "dressing up", y'know). That's just how I've been and everyone knows me as a very relaxed (yet stressful) casual person.

I'm not sure how that relates to my TG-ness but it's not something I worry about... barely concerns me really, tho I'm sure my wife would love to see me all "studified and dapper" but in the situation, I'd love to see her wearing a skirt or dress or makeup or heels or all of the other "girly" things that she generally avoids.

:)
jenn

LisaMallon
03-31-2010, 03:14 AM
I compartmentalise and I'm totally practical: work clothes, camping clothes, getting dirty clothes (not that 'dirt' , real dirt).

Work: suits, several of them, all black, shirts, ties, etc. Ditto shoes, all very good quality (cheaper that way I usually get 5-10 years out of a suit or shoes).
Camping: depends on weather so I have a range for hot weather, rain, freezing, desert, etc, stuff.
Dirty: leftovers of stuff that has worn out, perfect for getting paint, oil, etc over you.

I have never been really interested in how I look in drab. Smart, presentable of course in work and occasional casual modes.

As Lisa I really look at clothes and wonder "how would that look on me", "gosh I'd look cute in that", "I'd love that but it wouldn't work for me .. sigh", etc.