PDA

View Full Version : The "world" is not ending, just your world...

eluuzion
03-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Just another observation noted as I am "window-shopping" forum posts...

This really has universal application to any "crisis" or period in our lifes when we must wrestle with challenging issues which appear to have no palatable resolution...

One of the pitfalls to be aware of when dealing with a crisis is the tendency to engage in "catastrophic thinking". In other words, blowing things out of proportion with regards to their impact on the "big" picture. The current "crisis" at hand can easily be viewed as an enormous and all-consuming event. Everything that is happening around us is caused by, affected by, or the result of this issue.

It is an easy trap to fall into when we are in an emotionally charged mental state. The longer the issue remains unresolved, the more it is viewed as "the cause" of everything happening around us.

Obviously, this is not logical thinking.
But it occurs, nonetheless.

I think we all could have avoided some of the things we have done to make things "worse", due to actions taken when in this frame of mind. Sometimes the time taken to "sit down and regroup" to return to reality thinking would have allowed us to avoid pooring gas on a fire.

What do you think?

Nicole Erin
03-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Know all about that.
Just went thru having my ex wife and kid move out of state.

Believe me, I felt like doing some crazy crap. Though of ways to kill myself or force someone to kill me out of their own self defense.
Well, I decided to just talk to her about all this, and while there is still hurt, I now know it isn't the end of the world. It was when we were 1/2 way thru the move and stopped for the night.

See another thing - usually several "challenges" hit us at once and it is depressing. On top of physical separation, there was the move coming and the fact that I would return home to a mostly empty place that is not home anymore.

OK so, the move itself went perfectly smooth, I did survive them leaving, so now, the only thing left is, what to do now? It is a blank page...

gabimartini
03-19-2010, 05:28 AM
What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Does an emotionally-charged state of mind create a fecund garden for crisis to sprout, or does crisis by itself contributes to prolong an emotionally-charged state of mind?

I get what you are saying, am just not sure which feeds off the other.