PDA

View Full Version : Transpore tape

Ashley in Virginia
08-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Everyone says this stuff is so great, but my experience with it yesterday has me thinking twice. It hurt like a MOFO taking it off and it left a tape residue on my skin I can't get off.

Help!.....

Ava Mouse
08-13-2005, 09:51 AM
1) Cut your hair real short or remove it completely. Long hair will get tangled in the tape strands, so unless you want to 'wax' there, short hair is best.

2) Use a soft plastic sandwich baggie or condom to protect the most sensitive bits.

3) A glue remover, like that used in breast form adhesive will work on the residue. Have not tried anything else, but perhaps you can try baby oil or makeup remover. Alcohol or acetone might work, but they will sting...

Julie
08-13-2005, 10:01 AM
<------------- Ashley a little petrol/gasolene like in your avatar on a cloth will do the trick.

Julie

Sigrid
08-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm really surprised to hear that. I use it and only have problems removing it if when it sticks to the hair. If it's just skin, it shouldn't hurt so much... it's really not that sticky and most certainly shouldn't be leaving a residue.

Just as a sanity check, the label on my roll of tape is labled; 3M Nexcare First Aid, Transpore, Flexible Clear Tape.

Wendy me
08-13-2005, 10:24 AM
thats the ting that i don't like abought glue or tape ......yuck .....

Ashley in Virginia
08-13-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm really surprised to hear that. I use it and only have problems removing it if when it sticks to the hair. If it's just skin, it shouldn't hurt so much... it's really not that sticky and most certainly shouldn't be leaving a residue.

Just as a sanity check, the label on my roll of tape is labled; 3M Nexcare First Aid, Transpore, Flexible Clear Tape.

That is the exact product I used. I have tried rubbing alcohol, soap, Gojo, dish soap and windex. My skin is so red it hurts alot. But the residue is still somewhat there. I guess I will just tough it out and hope I can keep it hidden.

Mx Justina
08-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Everyone says this stuff is so great, but my experience with it yesterday has me thinking twice. It hurt like a MOFO taking it off and it left a tape residue on my skin I can't get off.

Help!.....

Heh heh heh...(sorry, not a pain sadist...but this ouch topic is a bit funny)!...

Compared to electric epillators and leg waxing...using transpore for extended periods shouldn't be so "wrenching" an experience!

I am not a regular user of the stuff...but I did once have to use industrial strenght grey duct tape underneath a tie-from-behind halter top (although I had lost too much weight, I was deadset on accompanying someone to Manhattan, at the time en femme)...

J.

cindybarnes
08-13-2005, 06:13 PM
I have leftover acitone I used to remove some nails done at a salon, it wipes the glue reside right off and feels just like acohol evaporating as it drys.
I used a non-breathable tape while out one night and it blisterd my skin after about 5 hours. It took weeks to heal,hurt like hell, and I swore I would never try that again just to boost the twins LOL
The 3M transpore wont do that, and after a couple years using it I can say the slight discomfort taking it off is nothing ! I have shoes that hurt more LOL

Cindy

Ashley in Virginia
08-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Slight discomfort my a$$. It blistered the poop out of me. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but this was just kinda not expected. I will try the acetone tomorrow if it doesn't come off on it's own.

DanaJ
08-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Ashley, if your skin is irritated, the acetone will sting pretty good if you put it on broken skin - just a warning.... where on your body was the tape?

This may sound crazy, but use Ronson lighter fluid for Zippo lighters.

DanaJ

Lauren_T
08-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Dana, you beat me to it :bonk:

Lighter fluid dissolves most adhesives, won't sting you, it evaporates quickly and it's a Hell of a lot safer than messing w/ gaasoline or acetone!

Put a bit on a paper towel et voila!

~ King Crimson, Indiscipline

Jen_TGCD
08-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Next time, Ashley (if you try it again :rolleyes: ) be sure to use an astringent to clean the area before using the tape. Lotions, moisturizers, aftershave, etc. will cause the glue to breakdown and leaves a sticky mess. I found that out while doing a facelift with tape. I finally got it off with Jojoba Oil... actually, any oil should loosen it enough... and then use dish soap to get rid of the oil. (In a pinch... even mayonnaise will work.) Also, if the tape sticks too tightly... jump in the shower and the hot water will help to soften the bond. Take it off sloooooooooooowly and you won't lose so much skin! :D

I'm really surprised about GoJo... it works on "EVERYTHING"!!! I cut down a dead pine tree this afternoon and it even got the sap off of my hands. I don't recommend this... but I heard that some TGs use it to take off their makeup! :eek: And... with all that pumice... you exfoliate at the same time!!! :rolleyes:

Mx Justina
08-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Ashley, if your skin is irritated, the acetone will sting pretty good if you put it on broken skin - just a warning.... where on your body was the tape?

This may sound crazy, but use Ronson lighter fluid for Zippo lighters.

DanaJ

Then again (without humour)...you all well-meaning souls may be piling suggesttion after suggestion for for chemical applications to what may be a skin condition/reaction equivelant to a chemical burn (you know as in 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree skin damage)... Perhaps keeping the area water-flushed, cooled, and gently dried...and testing carefully for chemical sensitivity (to what's about to be applied)...maybe safer.

I'm reminded of a past personal event, where I innocently put a paint-thinner soaked rag in a rear pocket, and kept painting for several hours...only to later discover a very sensitized (angry-red and painfull to touch) skin area just where my rear chemical-soaked rag containing pocket had been positioned... That rear welt remained visible for months.

J.

FionaAlexis
08-14-2005, 12:54 AM
I have problems with tapes too especially in hot weather.

I've used Transpore, Leukoplast and a friend also suggested using ordinary hardware store masking tape. The masking tape is actually easier to remove as it is less adhesive. But they all blister my skin in summer. I now use a combination of the right bra, velcro and a small length of tape if necessary.

The residue doesn't particularly worry me too much though it is hard to remove.

Fiona xx

Tristen Cox
08-14-2005, 12:58 AM
...or you could use duct tape.... :whistle:

:lol:

FionaAlexis
08-14-2005, 01:15 AM
quack - quack. ;)

Ibuki_Warpetal
08-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Acetone, gasoline, lighter fluid... sometimes I forget who posts here. :confused:

Just take a hot bath and scrub.

I got gas on my [insert injury from repeatedly jabbing things] thumb (well, everywhere) while changing my fuel filter and it stung for two days whenver I touched something.

It's not something you want to be rubbing on your already irritated skin.

That is.. unless you are some sort of macho guy. ;)

Felicity
08-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Ashley, I'm no doctor, but I think it's possible you had an allergic reaction to the adhesive. Of all the tapes I tried, I had one that irritated the hell out of my skin. It was sore for a week or two. The surprising thing is it was the 3M skin tape that is waterproof. I don’t remember the name, but the inside or the roll says 3M Healtcare. I have had no sensitivity issues with the other tapes I have tried to include my experiments with duct tape.

DanaJ
08-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Acetone, gasoline, lighter fluid... sometimes I forget who posts here. :confused: Well, Cross Dressers post here generally - why do you post here?

It's not something you want to be rubbing on your already irritated skin.

Ashley, if your skin is irritated, the acetone will sting pretty good if you put it on broken skin - just a warning.......already covered that:)

Just take a hot bath and scrub.:confused: ...and this is supposed to be good for irritated and broken skin???

DanaJ

Ashley in Virginia
08-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Update:

Still have red marks from the tape, although they are starting to fade. Tried acetone, didn't do much but burn like a mofo for a second. It is slowly coming off in wear. I have taken 4 showers so far, hot water and scrubbing does absolutley zip for it. Thinking about breaking out the sand paper. :)

Tristen Cox
08-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Don't use the dremel!!!!!!! :eek:

Ashley in Virginia
08-14-2005, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't dare break out such a wimpy tool. I have an angle grinder for sanding. :)

Tristen Cox
08-14-2005, 02:58 PM
8" mud hog would help, after all it is used for 'bodywork' Lmao!

Ibuki_Warpetal
08-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Well, Cross Dressers post here generally - why do you post here?
That's irrelevant. I just think it's odd for you girly types to be recommending people pour cancer causing flammable liquids on themselves to break away tape residue.

:confused: ...and this is supposed to be good for irritated and broken skin???
I didn't say scrub with a rock. :rolleyes:

Hot water is the safest bet at any rate. Just sit in a bath for a while and rub your hand over the stuff and it should come right off, and be relaxing.
If that doesn't work you aren't doing it right.

Besides if you are going to be using distilled petroleums you are going to have to wash yourself to get it off anyways.

Ashley in Virginia
08-14-2005, 04:34 PM
....Hot water is the safest bet at any rate. Just sit in a bath for a while and rub your hand over the stuff and it should come right off, and be relaxing.
If that doesn't work you aren't doing it right.....

I think in 29 years, I have figured out how to wash myself. It will not come off with hot water and soap. Still is on my skin two days later. My skin must be sensitive to it, which wouldn't suprise me at all.

Ibuki_Warpetal
08-14-2005, 04:36 PM
I think in 29 years, I have figured out how to wash myself. It will not come off with hot water and soap. Still is on my skin two days later. My skin must be sensitive to it, which wouldn't suprise me at all.
Did you sit in a bath and soak or did you stand in a shower?

I've found pure friction works better than soap.
Soap does nothing but make one smell pretty.

tullyxxx
08-14-2005, 04:39 PM
<------------- Ashley a little petrol/gasolene like in your avatar on a cloth will do the trick.

Julie
surely that must burn the skin dosent sound 2 good sorry . by the way nice pic lovr grace .LONDON

Ashley in Virginia
08-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I stood in the shower. However I feel 4 twenty minute showers when most of the time was spent trying to get this stuff of shoudl be sufficent enough. I am not worried about it anymore. It will come off when it feels like it. The residue isn't painful and the blistering is bearable and getting better. I wont be using it again though.

Lauren_T
08-14-2005, 09:34 PM
That's irrelevant. I just think it's odd for you girly types to be recommending people pour cancer causing flammable liquids on themselves to break away tape residue.

<snip>

Besides if you are going to be using distilled petroleums you are going to have to wash yourself to get it off anyways.

Ibuki, WADR, please, please. Dana and I recommended lighter fluid. It is not carcinogenic (well, maybe if you drink it regularly). It is not irritating (although it shouldn't be put on open sores, etc - but that isn't what was being suggested), and it evaporates in seconds, it is not absorbed into the skin. It's so benign that you can (as people I know did back in adolescence) pour it all over your hand and light it without burning yourself (put it out quickly, though).

You squirt some on a paper towel and rub off the adhesive which breaks down almost instantly and comes off on the paper towel. And do it quickly, because it evaporates so fast.

And I'm not talking theory here, I have used it for removing stubborn goo and adhesives from most everything, including skin, for decades.

So, it's low flammability, if you do ignite it it won't hurt you unless you're too dim to put it out within 30 s or so, and you don't have to wash it off because it evaporates completely.

Acetone and gasoline, fo' sho', are another ball of hydrocarbon compounds entirely...

...or maybe not. Who knows?

Lauren

Nicotine
Remember -

Ev'rything gives you cancer
There's no cure, there's no answer
~ Joe Jackson, Cancer

Ibuki_Warpetal
08-15-2005, 10:09 PM
WADR
???

...or maybe not. Who knows?
I knows.
I know that sticky gummy substances are easily broken down by these things, and that the skin is designed to keep things out, and that petrol distillates and the like evaporate fairly quickly.

But my point is why go through the trouble of finding some, and you know it should only be released in a well ventilated area.
Fumes are ick.

I also know that I got caulk on my hands today and after it dried I just scraped it off with my nails, then washed in a sink.
Not all of it came off, but I imagine some good hot and wet rubbing will get it off.

I am just suggesting a logical alternative.

Ashley in Virginia
08-21-2005, 10:43 PM
As someone who has a track record for stupidity, I figured I'd give it another go round.

Tonight I taped up and hung out again. Again I am all red and lots of glue residue. I was taped up for about 5 hours. When I was done, I couldn't get the tape to come off, it was that sticky. Lots of pulling and biting my lip finally got it off. Left residue everywhere again, but I am not too worried about that. It will come off on its own.

I really liked the look of having boobs, but there has got to be something else I can use. Any suggestions?

Ashley in Virginia
08-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Actone works great. Not the fake crap, but the real deal. I had to buy another bottle. Withing 5 minutes it was all gone. the residue, not the redness. But it felt cold on my skin but quickly evaporated and didnt sting a bit. I wholeheartedly would reccomend ACETONE to everyone for this purpoes.

Thanks girls

:p

Ophelia D'Void
08-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Hmm, this is a little ex post facto, but

a. Being a heavy smoker I keep a topped off Zippo in the 5th pocket of my Levi's, and when I had an overflow two weeks ago I had a super painful rash in the area that scabbed over. So I'm with Justina on that one.

b. Acetone is great and all, but in the long run it actually gets absorbed through the skin, collects in your brain, and makes you go horribly insane (well, I can't confirm this since I was already probably insane before trying acetone, but that's what my Chem teacher said).

c. They actually have a medical term for those little tape boogers that get left behind (they have medical terms for everything, even tape boogers and gooches). The term is "wisk", and it's a problem for people that deal with the elderly, since they go to the hospital alot, and in many cases have paper-thin skin that actually comes off with the tape (ouch). So they use something that's called "Wisk Remover", and it's a hypo-allergenic soap based solvent that gently removes the wisk. Not as dramatic or macho as acetone or gasoline, or even as effective, but it's better than soap and won't make you insane.

d. If you can't get your hands on wisk remover, I've had some success in the past with Goo Gone (not sure if it's the same as Gojo). It's basically purified orange oils, so it should be fairly non-toxic, plus I've used to even remove white clown makeup from my black clothes.

Ya, I know I'm already late on this thread Ash, but ah well, maybe you should go watch a Girls Gone Wild vid or something :)

O

FionaAlexis
08-23-2005, 06:43 PM
...to remove the glue goo...use eucalyptus oil on cotton wool.

Fiona xx

Ashley in Virginia
08-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Hmm, this is a little ex post facto, but

a. Being a heavy smoker I keep a topped off Zippo in the 5th pocket of my Levi's, and when I had an overflow two weeks ago I had a super painful rash in the area that scabbed over. So I'm with Justina on that one.

Sorry to hear you are such a wuss. lol. But seriously Wuss.

b. Acetone is great and all, but in the long run it actually gets absorbed through the skin, collects in your brain, and makes you go horribly insane (well, I can't confirm this since I was already probably insane before trying acetone, but that's what my Chem teacher said).

I dont think that I have much to worry about that. The sheer quanity that would probably be needed to make that happen is more than I'll probably ever see in my life time. Plus, who said insanity is bad? The insane sure seem to be having alot of fun.

c. They actually have a medical term for those little tape boogers that get left behind (they have medical terms for everything, even tape boogers and gooches). The term is "wisk", and it's a problem for people that deal with the elderly, since they go to the hospital alot, and in many cases have paper-thin skin that actually comes off with the tape (ouch). So they use something that's called "Wisk Remover", and it's a hypo-allergenic soap based solvent that gently removes the wisk. Not as dramatic or macho as acetone or gasoline, or even as effective, but it's better than soap and won't make you insane.

Where in the world would I find wisk remover? And why lose the drama from using chemicals that might hurt you. Where is the fun in that?

d. If you can't get your hands on wisk remover, I've had some success in the past with Goo Gone (not sure if it's the same as Gojo). It's basically purified orange oils, so it should be fairly non-toxic, plus I've used to even remove white clown makeup from my black clothes.

Gojo is industrial hand cleaner generally used by auto mechanics. Goo gone is a totally different product. I use gojo in my wash to get heavy grease off of my clothes, as I am a moron and can't look at auto grease without getting it all over me.

Ya, I know I'm already late on this thread Ash, but ah well, maybe you should go watch a Girls Gone Wild vid or something :)

O

Thats an Idea woth doing :)

Ophelia D'Void
08-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear you are such a wuss. lol. But seriously Wuss.

Hehe, I'm not the one who started the "Help me with my owie" thread :D But since you're He-Man and all, go ahead and smear honey on your chest and hang out with bears, that might get the wisk out too. I've been trying to track down a wisk remover retailer, but no luck so far. You can always just call up a medical supply place and see if they carry it. Not sure what it costs, I always used to get it for free. They might even have something that works just as well but just isn't marketed that way. I know with convalescent homes, alot of times they use a substance officially known as "Composition C" as a deep acting skin moisturizer. It turns out it's really Crisco shortening (thus the "C"), but that's hush hush.

How do I keep the squirrels out of my pants?

Uhm, I figured since you always had your hand in there, the squirrels would have been scared away already. You might want to try luring it out with the peanuts you keep in your pocket. :D Hehe, sorry there Ash.

Tristen Cox
08-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Hehe, I'm not the one who started the "Help me with my owie" thread :D But since you're He-Man and all, go ahead and smear honey on your chest and hang out with bears, that might get the wisk out too. I've been trying to track down a wisk remover retailer, but no luck so far. You can always just call up a medical supply place and see if they carry it. Not sure what it costs, I always used to get it for free. They might even have something that works just as well but just isn't marketed that way. I know with convalescent homes, alot of times they use a substance officially known as "Composition C" as a deep acting skin moisturizer. It turns out it's really Crisco shortening (thus the "C"), but that's hush hush.

Uhm, I figured since you always had your hand in there, the squirrels would have been scared away already. You might want to try luring it out with the peanuts you keep in your pocket. Hehe, sorry there Ash.

Damn!:D Now that's funny! :lol: :lol:

Oh sorry Ash