PDA

View Full Version : Voice

paulap
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Here is a problem I anticipate when going out: what voice do you use? How do you disguise it?

Jessy
03-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Oh yeah... voice... That's something I'm having trouble with as well.
I don't go out yet, but I know that the last thing I need is my voice to give me away, and shock people...

Veronica Nowakowski
03-21-2010, 10:18 PM
There's a way to train your voice and tricks out there to do so. A G3, 196 Hz pitch is what I've been told. That's where I'd start. You can contact me on an instant messenger if you want to hear more.

TNRobin
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I just started working on that. I've been going out since September and my voice is still a dead giveaway. I tend to talk a little quieter than usual and I have a very marginal female accent hidden in there somewhere, but I'm easily read when I speak. But oddly enough no one has given me any real odd looks or anything, at least not that I've noticed.

lisajane
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I talk quieter and softer, and I don't use a fake voice, It seems to work for me

Lisa

jenifer m.
03-21-2010, 11:33 PM
i go up a couple of octives,and use soft wispery tones.at least thats what used to work for me.

gabimartini
03-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Paula, voice is a big issue. If you search the forum, you'll get a lot of information about this topic. There are several techniques for you to master in order to have a passable female voice. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, it is not easy, but achievable with commitment, hard work and some form of coaching. More than pitch alone, you'll need to worry about resonance, enunciation, speed and even choice of words, as these differ a lot between female and male.

When you think you are ready, try using your female voice on the phone, and check whether people go for it. Just call 800 numbers, ask about products, you know, just try to make conversation with total strangers, who don't have visual cues to your gender. The day you get "madamed" by these people, will be the day you graduate from voice training!

Good luck!

suchacutie
03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Hi. This has been a much abused topic, with every opinion imaginable. There are links to all manner of U-Tube videos, and they are really good!

I've simply learned to block off the bass part of my voice. That alone raises the voice and requires inflection shifts until you get used to being expressive without that bass section of the voice.

Look around this site and I'm sure you'll find what you need

tina

t-girlxsophie
03-22-2010, 03:00 AM
I have to say I dont try to disguise my voice in any way.It just doesnt figure high in my prioritys,I dont pass when out,so I think people would think it an act im putting on,I may talk quieter if anything,but thats about it.But if you are wanting to alter your voice,am sure there is excellent sites on the web for you to try

Was told once at my tv/ts support group that trying to disguise your voice does the vocal chords no good at all,dont know how true that was though

tamarav
03-22-2010, 09:14 AM
I have said this before and I will say it again, it is only the first 15 seconds that you develop an opinion of whether or not it is a real male or female.

I stand behind a styling chair a lot doing people's hair. Some times I forget their birth sex by their voice, they do tend to start to all sound alike. I will look up in the mirror at their face just to re-establish who they are.

In my opinion, simply speaking lighter with less male bravado will carry you a long way,. a false sounding voice will cause the listener to start looking for other clues as to your gender.

Follow the advice of the other girls here, watch the U-tube videos, read more about the subject, just don't try to pull off a squaky falsetto voice when with other than CDs, it is simply too phony and just it causes the listener to start wondering more about you.

If a totally hot woman were to start talking with you and their voice was more masculine than feminine, wouldn't you start looking for other clues? Hand size, hair at the neckline, whatever other feature you use to "establish" gender..

The biggest give-away to me is the nervousness. You have to learn to relax.

Stephenie S
03-22-2010, 09:19 AM
It is interesting to me that with ALL that crossdressers have to deal with that they CAN'T change, like height, chest size, hand and foot size, and shoulder width, it is the voice, which actually CAN be changed, that is so often overlooked.

Stephie

paulap
03-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice. All is great but the advice to relax and not be conspicuous is probably the best.

Natalia
03-23-2010, 06:37 AM
My boy voice is a cross between James Earl Jones and Barry White...

When courting I would call my wife's work and her co workers would announce "The 'Voice" is on the phone"

I was a radio and large formation announcer in the military - the booming voice of authority.

The best I can eve hope for is to sound like Bea Arthur after several large glasses of bourbon with a cigar chaser.

I whisper a lot;)

Veronica Nowakowski
03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Paula, voice is a big issue. If you search the forum, you'll get a lot of information about this topic. There are several techniques for you to master in order to have a passable female voice. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, it is not easy, but achievable with commitment, hard work and some form of coaching. More than pitch alone, you'll need to worry about resonance, enunciation, speed and even choice of words, as these differ a lot between female and male.

When you think you are ready, try using your female voice on the phone, and check whether people go for it. Just call 800 numbers, ask about products, you know, just try to make conversation with total strangers, who don't have visual cues to your gender. The day you get "madamed" by these people, will be the day you graduate from voice training!

Good luck!

I have a while to go then. I've been missed, but never madamed.