PDA

View Full Version : Ever Been Praised And Put Down In The Same Breath?

Toni
08-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi Girls,
Last week I was at my TV's social evening and a TS said to me "You know you are the only girl here who could pass anywhere without any trouble" She followed that up with "Your make up is really well done and you look really lovely" Well I can tell you I was on cloud nine and I felt ten feet tall until she said "You actually look like one of the WVS Ladies, I was absolutely gutted. Here is a picture of the way I was dressed that night.

Paula Rae
08-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Hey Toni,
You've being praised again, you look fabulous.
What's a "WVS Lady". What ever the answer, you just made them look better.
That's a compliment! I hope I didn't stick my foot in my mouth.

Ricki B

Stephanie Brooks
08-13-2005, 02:05 PM
I assume it is Women’s Voluntary Services:

http://www.history.ac.uk/reviews/paper/spencerS.html

Frankly Toni, you look great!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the WVS Lady comment, I'll assume that's akin to being called frumpy, dowdy, or something similar. Fine. Women are frumpy and dowdy, not men. (Read: You can pass as a woman.) Also, WVS Ladies are still FEMALE. Okay, they didn't tell you that you look like a supermodel. They told you that you look like a WVS Lady. (Read: You can pass as a woman.)

I've been called "geek" and "nerd" in the past. They were meant somewhat as insults. I take them as high compliments, and laugh all the way to the bank.

"You look like a WVS Lady." You can pass on the street and not be noticed as something out of the ordinary.

What some of us would do for that.

Wendy me
08-13-2005, 02:58 PM
you look greate to me tell her to stick it.....

paulaN
08-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I have to say you look great. very well done, take the compliments and run with them. may be the last coment was just a phopa on her part.

Fallen Angel
08-13-2005, 04:32 PM
:o i think you look great!!!!!!! there just jelouse because they aint as pretty as you :love:

FionaAlexis
08-14-2005, 12:34 AM
I think its called a 'feedback sandwich'.

Fiona xx

Krystal Lee
08-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Tony,

I don't know what a WVS lady is either but you look great girl. Take that compliment to the bank with a big grin on your face. :D Hugs Krystal.

Tristen Cox
08-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Women’s Voluntary Services

http://www.wrvs.org.uk/aboutus/ourhistory/wartime.htm

Think I'm getting the hang of this google thingy :)

Daphnie-Duck
08-14-2005, 12:47 AM
I've been called "geek" and "nerd" in the past. They were meant somewhat as insults. I take them as high compliments, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Add me to the ranks of those who take geek and nerd as badges of honor.

And this thread reminded me of a compliment I got several years ago on another message forum (actually a USENet newsgroup.) I sorta thread drifted and brought up crossdressing. I ended up showing a picture of me in one of my black minidresses, and the compliment I got was this:

Accept this as a compliment, eh? You look better in a mini-dress than I do.

Very Janet Reno.

I'll hafta post a pic here of me in that particular dress soon, as soon as I figure out where it is (probably got put out in the shed with a bunch of other things shortly after we moved...)

Toni
08-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi Girls,

Thank you to you all for your kind words, it makes a girl feel great to get compliments, especially when you are not looking for them. By the way I believe the WVS (Womens Voluntary Service) was formed during WW2 to help the homeless.

Stephanie Brooks
08-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Think GIYF: Google is your friend.