PDA

View Full Version : did my first pedi today! im hooked for life!.

jenifer m.
03-22-2010, 11:33 PM
i was talking a few weeks ago about getting up the nerve to go with my wife and get my first pedicure,well we went today.it was a fairly busy salon,and i was nervous right when we walked in but after they welcomed us in ,and i diddnt really get any weird looks i started to relax.went back sat down in the big chair that gave a back massage,and a hot little asian girl came over to me and started the process.wow i got the royal treatment today even a foot massage,and i felt so girly when she asked me if i wanted polish or not.i said clear of course cuz the wife would have been un comfortable with colors in public.but i got shiney toes agen yay!i always wonder why im so nervous about new things then when its over im like why all the worry.no one even cared that i was the only guy in the whole salon.i might even go by myself next time.it was that cool.

Jamie001
03-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Hi Jennifer,

Congratulations on your first pedicure. The next step for your next pedicure is red toenails. After all, colored polish is included at no extra charge. No one will really care that you have red toenails. It is not really a big deal and even a lot of MMA UFC athletes have painted toenails. It is really becoming quite common in Hollywood for actors and athletes. I have been proudly showing my red toenails in women's sandals for years and would never go out wearing sandals without a good professional pedicure and bright red polish on my toenails. I get a lot of compliments on my pedicure and nail color from women. My favorite color is OPI Big Apple Red. Nothing will make you feel more like a girl than looking down and seeing ten red toenails peeking out of women's sandals. It is a girly thing that you can enjoy in drab.

:hugs: Jamie

i was talking a few weeks ago about getting up the nerve to go with my wife and get my first pedicure,well we went today.it was a fairly busy salon,and i was nervous right when we walked in but after they welcomed us in ,and i diddnt really get any weird looks i started to relax.went back sat down in the big chair that gave a back massage,and a hot little asian girl came over to me and started the process.wow i got the royal treatment today even a foot massage,and i felt so girly when she asked me if i wanted polish or not.i said clear of course cuz the wife would have been un comfortable with colors in public.but i got shiney toes agen yay!i always wonder why im so nervous about new things then when its over im like why all the worry.no one even cared that i was the only guy in the whole salon.i might even go by myself next time.it was that cool.

jenny01
03-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Jenifer, Congrates on your first pedi. I agree with you that they are nice to have done. Getting your favorite color applied is really nice also. My problem is that it takes me 5 minutes to pick a color.
One of the best things is when out and about after, is getting a compliment from a GG on your toe color.

Shananigans
03-23-2010, 01:24 AM
I basically live in the nail salon and guys go in ALL of the time getting pedicures. No one even bats an eyelash about it. I wish ALL men would get the occasional pedicure. I've never seen a guy at the salon getting a color on his toes, but I wouldn't think it would be that strange. I've seen way stranger...like a woman getting an acrylic overlay on her toes. I thought at first that she had just broken a toe nail. I've gotten an overlay on a cracked toe nail quite a few times. But, no. This woman had toe nails that were longer than my fingernails and she was getting that gel overlay on top to keep them from breaking. Barf. So, I mean, do what you want. If it makes your wife uncomfortable, go without her and get it done. Or, if it makes you uncomfortable to get a color, just get a good clear coat and then paint them yourself when you get home. After all, the painting is easy...but the whole exfoliating and cuticle thing is a pain.

Phyliss
03-23-2010, 03:30 AM
jenifer, good for you about the pedi. Yes you are now "hooked" for life, and that's OK.

... Getting your favorite color applied is really nice also. My problem is that it takes me 5 minutes to pick a color...

I solve the color choice problem by letting my nail tech pick what she thinks would be pretty. After all, she's the artist, so I let her have full choice as to what she likes to work with at the time. After 4 years, with the same lady, I haven't been disappointed yet.

donnatracey
03-24-2010, 08:07 PM
See what you've been missing?? Had my 2nd one a few weeks ago and it was just as good, though not quite as exciting, as the first time. Unlike jamie, I'm not ready for the bright red toe nails - settled for a dark brown color this time - somewhat neutral....:D. Asked the man at the front desk and he said very few guys get colored nails with their ped...well, count me 2X now!

Cassandra Lynn
03-24-2010, 08:42 PM
I have had the same lady doing mine for bout a a year and a half now and yes she is a very beautiful and super sweet Vietnamese gal. I've watched her doing flowers on others toes before so i got it done last time, what fun and so very pretty. But i'm having some surgery done on monday so it's time for it to come off. :cry: Back to clear coat for the summer, although i was thinking stars and stripes for july would be way to cool! mj (Cassie)

P.S. way to go Jenifer!!!

kathie225
03-24-2010, 08:56 PM
wonderful!!!!!!! No more ingrown nails, not to mention the nice, soft, smooth feet. I also get a manicure at the same time. How do you explain how my wife can be so keen about my going with her these last five years for mani/pedi-cures, but "don't even think about wearing pink panties". They do have their boundaries drawn in inexplicable ways.

See ya later, Kathie

sherri52
03-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Congrats on your first pedi. I'm glad the expierence was a good one.

Katie1234
03-24-2010, 09:55 PM
not trying 2 ruin ur fun but if u go in alone u might get weird looks:(

Jamie001
03-25-2010, 10:59 PM
No you will not get any weird looks unless you go in and act like a scared bunny rabbit. Chances are that you will get complimented on your choice of pedicure by GGs in the salon. It has happened to me many times, but if you act like a scared bunny, you will be treated like one.

Joanie_Shakti
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
I go alone most of the time I get pedicures and don't remember any weird looks. Like Jamie001, it's all in the attitude. I go in like it's not a big deal and usually spring for the deluxe treatment. Had one about a month ago and was thinking of getting another today.

The only bad experience I had is when I went into a small place, the closest one to my house. I asked for a mani/pedi and they paired me with a guy to work on me. I was too polite to ask for a woman and was uncomfortable throughout the whole process. I haven't gone back since as I've found a nicer place about a mile or so away.

In contrast, the best experiences I've had is at a place in San Diego's Fashion Valley Mall. I think it's called "Happy Nails." When getting a mani/pedi there, they team you up with two girls who work on your hands and feet simutaneously. It's great! The only drawback is that you have to give out two tips, but it's worth it. Unfortunately, my GG friend who introduced me to pedicures lives north of there, so if I'm visiting, I've been getting them done in her community the last few times so we can do it together.

Cassandra Lynn
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
No you will not get any weird looks unless you go in and act like a scared bunny rabbit. Chances are that you will get complimented on your choice of pedicure by GGs in the salon. It has happened to me many times, but if you act like a scared bunny, you will be treated like one.

I agree totally, in fact i think that GGs like it so much because what woman likes a man with messy, dirty, ugly feet! At the salon i go to, i always get smiles and small talk from all the female customers. But the real fun is when i walk in. The gals that work thier all start smiling and talking to me about what color am i getting today and generally treating me like the loyal customer that i am. mj (Cassie)

Sherry-Stephanie
03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
And you thought it was going to be up there with a root canal huh???

I need to get mine done ASAP..been about 4 weeks...

Congrats...next time get em painted!!!!

Koka
03-26-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm planning my first pedi next month - I am so nervous. I will probably ask for a low tone - any suggestions?

Kisses

Koka

I basically live in the nail salon and guys go in ALL of the time getting pedicures. No one even bats an eyelash about it. I wish ALL men would get the occasional pedicure. I've never seen a guy at the salon getting a color on his toes, but I wouldn't think it would be that strange. I've seen way stranger...like a woman getting an acrylic overlay on her toes. I thought at first that she had just broken a toe nail. I've gotten an overlay on a cracked toe nail quite a few times. But, no. This woman had toe nails that were longer than my fingernails and she was getting that gel overlay on top to keep them from breaking. Barf. So, I mean, do what you want. If it makes your wife uncomfortable, go without her and get it done. Or, if it makes you uncomfortable to get a color, just get a good clear coat and then paint them yourself when you get home. After all, the painting is easy...but the whole exfoliating and cuticle thing is a pain.

Amymonroe
03-26-2010, 01:30 PM
my wife and i were celebrating our 11th anniversery together and we went to the san louie resort in galveston texas. we had our nails done their and when we sat down they asked me if i wanted to chose a color and i said "hell yea" and chose a color called bubble gum . it was really pretty. the lady doing my wife's nails said "it is nice to see a man who is not afraid to come out of his box" after that i had to walk a public hall way in flip flops and painted nails i front of other men. i guess no one noticed, other than the ladies at the spa. a few of them came out just to see my nails. never felt more femine than that day. the pics can be found in the tread "what color is your nails"

amy

Bunny Girl Zoe
03-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Can only think of how good getting a pedi done by a pro would be like.

Joanie_Shakti
03-27-2010, 11:26 AM

I did go ahead and get my pedicure yesterday. Saw the most guys in a shop in any of my visits. When I first got there, there was a family getting it done, husband and wife and two teenage sons. The place was the busiest I've seen it but I was seated right away. As I sat there while the technician worked on me, I saw a guy in his late 60s or early 70s come in by himself and said that he'd come back in an hour. And through the window, I saw two guys start to come in but when they saw the chairs were all full, they turned around and were just coming back as I was leaving.

I was a little embarassed when the girl mentioned I had on polish (clear with holographic sparkles) and again when she saw the holographic stars on a couple of the toes that randomly comes up on the polish brush when painting the nails. She asked me if I wantted polish this time but I declined. Too many people for me and I prefer my sparkly Hot Topic polish. It realy makes the toes glint in the light. (Maybe I'll get the nerve up to start taking it with me.) But though I get a bit embarassed when the technician mentions it, I act nonchallantly and didn't get any funny looks about it ether.

donnatracey
03-27-2010, 09:24 PM

Def not an issue for me the 2X I've gone. Have been the only male in the salon (except for an employee or 2); have gone in the afternoon during the week when it's been relatively quiet. Felt at ease and the young ladies did a great job. BTW, had my toes painted both times and no weird looks or comments by anyone, including the female customers. A very relaxing experience. The best part is picking out the colors each time......:)

Shananigans
03-28-2010, 01:39 PM
As many "metro" guys as there are now that dress and take care of themselves way better than I do, it's not a big deal. There's even guys that work at the place where I go...and, one of them has nails that are longer than mine...but, I'm 90% sure he is straight...which, can lead to a bit awkward feelings when he is massaging my legs. Heh

kimberly ann487
03-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Good for you Jenifer, this summer it's my turn.:daydreaming:

Jamie001
03-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I love getting pedicure when there are a lot of people in the nail salon. It is especially fun when there are macho type guys getting pedicure and they get to watch my nail tech apply bright red nail polish to my toenails. I wonder how many of those guys would like to wear polish on their toenails but just don't have the courage. I am very proud of my red toenails and get a lot of compliments from women. At the nail salon, even though I am in drab, I am treated as one of the girls and have had a lot of fun conversations with the nail techs and other customers especially while siting with my toes in the nail dryer. Be proud of you red toenails and don't be afraid to show them.

:2c: Jamie

I did go ahead and get my pedicure yesterday. Saw the most guys in a shop in any of my visits. When I first got there, there was a family getting it done, husband and wife and two teenage sons. The place was the busiest I've seen it but I was seated right away. As I sat there while the technician worked on me, I saw a guy in his late 60s or early 70s come in by himself and said that he'd come back in an hour. And through the window, I saw two guys start to come in but when they saw the chairs were all full, they turned around and were just coming back as I was leaving.

I was a little embarassed when the girl mentioned I had on polish (clear with holographic sparkles) and again when she saw the holographic stars on a couple of the toes that randomly comes up on the polish brush when painting the nails. She asked me if I wantted polish this time but I declined. Too many people for me and I prefer my sparkly Hot Topic polish. It realy makes the toes glint in the light. (Maybe I'll get the nerve up to start taking it with me.) But though I get a bit embarassed when the technician mentions it, I act nonchallantly and didn't get any funny looks about it ether.

Jamie001
03-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Donna,

The nail salon is such a wonderful place. After going for a while, you will be treated by the nail techs and the other ladies in the salon as "one of the girls". There is nothing more relaxing and you will feel so good about yourself.

:2c: Jamie

Def not an issue for me the 2X I've gone. Have been the only male in the salon (except for an employee or 2); have gone in the afternoon during the week when it's been relatively quiet. Felt at ease and the young ladies did a great job. BTW, had my toes painted both times and no weird looks or comments by anyone, including the female customers. A very relaxing experience. The best part is picking out the colors each time......:)

Bobbi McCarthy
03-28-2010, 05:05 PM
I love having a regular spa pedicure every three weeks including color. This standing appointment has continued for six years now. At first I was reluctant to include color with my pedicures and transitioned from no polish, to clear polish to what I really wanted - wonderful varieties of red color. After that first application of OPI "I'm not a waitress" red I was hooked. My nail technician, a wonderful woman from Vietnam has enouraged my experimentation not only with color but also with flowers and seasonal decorations. I so look forward to the entire treatment as well as its outcome. Occassionaly, I have found myself on business out of town at the time for renewal. That has inspired me to utilize salons in Anchorage, Denver, Bellevue, Huntsville and San Diego. Only once has a "seatmate" in any of these salons provided an adverse reaction and that was "a bit of a look" that I caught out of the corner of my eye. At every other salon on every other occassion I have had neutral or more frequently encouraging comments from other women getting their nails done.
It is one of the many femme things I love about being a girl - even if it is only part time.

Nicole Erin
05-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Cool :thumbsup:
Ya know, all these folks bragging about getting a first pedicure, here is the sad part - I go to beauty school and have never had a pedi. :doh: Not nervous, hell all the girls know what I am about hince my makeup, femme shirts, shoes, nails, etc... I have just never gotten around to getting a pedi for myself. Kind of say after 7 months of being there.

Let a cosmo student chime in about this -
It is a salon, the women (or maybe the 1 or 2 gay men) working there are NOT going to care. They won't think twice of it. Salons are GLBT friendly, probably even moreso than our own community.

Alice B
05-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Yes. Having your nails done is great. I've been out of the country for almost a month and got back late last night. The first thing I did today was to go in for a pedicure and manicure. And had my toe nails painted. My wife is now OK with this. Of course I first shaved my legs and now feel more like Alice again. And there were three other men that had pedicures while I was there. It is becoming very common.