PDA

View Full Version : Going to Court

Shelly Preston
03-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Has anyone had to go to court dressed ?

I don't meant those who are living 24/7 ( where they would attend in there normal attire)

I am thinking of any individual who has been a victim or a witness to a crime while dressed

How were you treated by the court officials and and Lawyers ?

Rachel_Red
03-25-2010, 05:10 AM
I've never experienced that... regardless if you have to testify they'll use your "offical" name. So if you're dressed they may call... John Doe to the stand and you'll have to get up dressed. On the other hand if you dress normal they may bring up the fact "were you dressed as a woman at the time?" to ensure that you are the right person.

I dunno it sounds like a sticky situation. My advice is go with what is comfortable and causes you the least ammount of stress.

Genifer Teal
03-25-2010, 05:35 AM
If it is relevant and may help your case then go ahead. I would not do it just for fun.

Gen

Loni
03-25-2010, 10:17 AM
yes if needed for/by court then go dressed...

if not then the judge might take a dim view...not for being dressed..but for the "problem" it could be in the court room.

some judges do not like "problems" in there court, and 30 days free room and board just does not sound so good. :eek:

Cristi
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
This reminds me of something that happened to me several years ago. It was one of my first times out in public dressed, and all I wanted to do was walk around in a safe area downtown for a few minutes.

I parked, walked a bit on the busy sidewalk then came to the huge federal court building. It was all mirrored glass across the front so I couldn't see inside, but I figured it must just be a large lobby so decided to go in and check it out.

As soon as I walked through the doors, I was met by a full security setup just like you see at an airport! 3 state police, X-ray machine for bags, metal detector arch!

I made the quick decision that it would be too suspicious to just turn and dart back out the door, so kept walking forward. The officer motioned for me to walk through the detector. I did, but it beeped as I walked through.

I was so nervous that I just kept walking. He called 'Ma'm' once, then again a bit louder when I didn't respond. I finally turned and went back. They took my purse and looked inside while one of the other officers waved me down with the long hand-held wand.

I had a long ankle length dress on and had to lift it for them a bit so he could 'wand' my legs around my boots. I'm just glad I didn't have an underwire bra on! All the time this was going on, I was thinking more about what they could be finding in my purse than I was about what was happening to me. I was trying to remember what, if anything, I might have in there that could be a problem (knife or boxcutter? 'suspicious' liquids?)

After what was only a minute, but felt like much more, I was handed my purse back and told I could continue. At this point I really didn't want to be in the building any more, but again felt it would be too strange looking to just turn and leave. My only other choice was to wait for an elevator and go to a random floor, which I did. I walked around for a few minutes peaking into random empty courtrooms (not quite believing I was doing this in a dress and high-heel boots) before heading back outside.

On the way out, the exit was right beside the guard station, so I gave the officers a little wave on the way out.

I *KNOW* I could not have been passing, so I'm just very glad that the officers were very professional and didn't give me any kind of problem about how I was dressed.

t-girlxsophie
03-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Our local tv/ts Support group recently had a visit from Strathclyde Police's diversity officer,where we had a discussion on safety while dressed,We were advised by him that if you were a TV going to court Dressed up was not advisable,you have to attend in Clothing of the Appropriate Gender.

TommiTN
03-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Sounds like a very possible "contempt of court" charge to me. Don't do it unless you're 24/7 and have official fem ID. Don't know about you, but a jail cell is not where I'd want to make new "friends" if you get my drift.

JulieC
03-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Sounds like a very possible "contempt of court" charge to me. Don't do it unless you're 24/7 and have official fem ID. Don't know about you, but a jail cell is not where I'd want to make new "friends" if you get my drift.

I don't know. Laws regarding "appropriate" clothing have long gone off the books in the U.S. You can't be arrested for wearing a skirt if you're a genetic male any more than a genetic woman can be arrested for wearing pants. It's absurd on the face of it, and law has caught up on that. I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt any judge would issue a contempt of court charge for showing up wearing clothing the judge didn't like ("My Cousin Vinny" not withstanding), so long as you're not inappropriately revealing body parts.

Now, that's not to say that wearing whatever style of clothing doesn't have an impact on how people will judge you. That can have an effect on the perception of your testimony as a witness, or how you're perceived by jury if you're the prosecution or the defense. That's up to the person appearing in court to decide what impact that might or might not have and how to dress to address that.

Now, if you're being called to jury duty? Interesting. Might be a good way to get out of jury duty :)

But arrested for it? Hell no.

Our local tv/ts Support group recently had a visit from Strathclyde Police's diversity officer,where we had a discussion on safety while dressed,We were advised by him that if you were a TV going to court Dressed up was not advisable,you have to attend in Clothing of the Appropriate Gender.

And what would that be? I don't consider myself male or female gender. Could you please tell me what clothing is appropriate for my gender? I'd have a field day in court with anyone who tried to push that drivel. If I wore a dress, it's a non-bifurcated garment. Guess what the judge is wearing? A non-bifurcated garment. I'm wearing clothes appropriate to my gender. The judge is the one, in fact, who is crossdressing.

TommiTN
03-25-2010, 04:58 PM
You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. Yeah, the charge might not stick, but you might wind up having to hire a lawyer to defend you. Especially if you wind up in Judge Frump's court.

Veronica Nowakowski
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Since when is there a defense to contempt of court? I'm pretty sure you're just there as long as the judge pleases.

TommiTN
03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
If there is a charge there is a defense to the charge. The question is how good is the defendant's attorney. A very creative one might be able to pull it off. Bring money.

Nicole Erin
03-25-2010, 09:04 PM
If you DO have to wear femme clothing, just make sure it is as conservative as possible, androgynous style. Well like said - unless it is relevant to the case.

Just don't show up in something that we read about on fantasy posts or in the "risky business" sub-forum. Ya know, leave the leopard-print mini and fishnets for the clubbing nights.

Judges do not humor easily, I just wouldn't give them any reason to act like bigger pricks than what they already are.

kathie225
03-25-2010, 09:25 PM
usually applies where the court is ridiculed or the authority of the court is in some manner belittled. Unless you come in looking like a hooker or street walker in "next to nothing" the court will overlook your appearance. Present yourself in clean clothes and well-kempt personal manner and your ok. Being more conservative in choosing what to where is best. It might be well not to ask the court's opinion of your attire. lipstick or eye shadow. Remember to stand when the judge enters the courtroom, apparently they like that.

good luck, see ya Kathie

NancyTO
03-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Ever see the documentary Trekkers, about Star Trek fans? One of the stories was about a juror who worn her Next Generation Star Trek Uniform to court everyday. That to me would be more strange than being crossdressed.

I remember a few court cases where the defendant is crossdressed, most because they are in transition.

Somehow I think a system in charge of maintaining liberty and human rights would be wary of treading on the rights of free expression clothing wise. Some judges might think it as being disrespectful of his/her court room, but he/she would be opening a human rights, GBLT minefield if they send someone to jail based on their clothing choices.

Persephone
03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
From the February 14, 2007 Sidney (Australia) Morning Herald:

Cross-dressing Miss Alice guilty of contempt
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/AliceContempt.jpg
A New Zealand lawyer who took to wearing an Alice in Wonderland costume in court to highlight an alleged cover-up by the army has been found guilty of contempt.

But the conviction had nothing to do with Rob Moodie's decision to use fashion as a form of protest.

Instead, he was convicted for publicly releasing a court-suppressed report about the fatal 1994 collapse of an army-built bridge on a property owned by his elderly clients.

Moodie admitted releasing the report, which apportioned much of the blame for the collapse on the New Zealand Army, and not his clients.

He took the action despite the suppression order and the fact the report was provided on the condition it could not be used as evidence.

During hearings in the High Court in Wellington last month, his defence lawyer said Moodie did not believe he was guilty of contempt.

Moodie felt his actions in releasing the report to the media, and on the internet, were justified by public interest in an alleged cover-up by authorities, the defence lawyer said.

But the court disagreed today, finding Moodie guilty of contempt and suspending him from practising as a lawyer for three months. He was also fined $NZ5,000 ($A4,430), and ordered to pay costs.

Moodie, 68, found himself named by a columnist for The Times newspaper in London as winner of the world "award for bizarre conduct by a lawyer" in 2006.

He had officially changed his name to Miss Alice and began donning women's clothes in court as part of a protest against what he said was the "old boys' network" running New Zealand's judiciary.

The protest spilled over when he began fighting the contempt charge, and Moodie used the same methods to draw attention to his case and the plight of his clients, Keith and Margaret Berryman.

Moodie today said his cross-dressing days were over as he no longer needed to appear "in a 19th-Century Alice in Wonderland environment that allows pomp, self-importance and deference to the court to eclipse the truth".

He also announced that he was quitting as a practising lawyer, but vowed to continue fighting for justice for the Berrymans.

In its judgment, the High court said that if Moodie wanted to highlight an injustice, he should have done so through proper channels and formally sought authority to release the report.

However, Justices John Hansen, Judith Potter and David Baragwanath acknowledged that Moodie was acting in what he considered to be the best interests of his clients.

Evie08
03-25-2010, 11:06 PM
If you are subpoenaed to court as a witness for something you observed while dressed, I am sure there will be pre-trial motions. The attorneys will let you know if it is appropriate to be dressed. The days of surprises showing up on the day of trial are long gone. All evidence on both sides is exchaged in a process called discovery, and must be completed well ahead of the scheduled trial date to allow both sides to prepare. This includes a full list of witnesses that each side plans to call to testify and what they expect the witness to offer.

Now as to showing up dressed for jury duty, if that is your normal dress, no problem. if your legal name does not coincide with your dress, you should contact the jury coordinator/administrator when you get your notice to appear as a courtesy. But dont do it as something cool.

noeleena
03-26-2010, 05:21 AM
Hi..
I was going to bring the case of Bob Moodie up just some one bet me to it . .
More to the point concerned is i spent time talking with him some time ago so do know the reasons behind what he did . & yes he has depolled his miss Alice name back to his birth name .

I would suggest you have a talk with the court house people & ask them what would be in your best interests as to what to wear ,
As i dont know your customs in that regard .
all tho i think they are much the same as ours as to how you are dressed, if it was a kilt then i could have done that any way .

For me & Jos we had time with two judges & yes i was as i am now dressed & the comment made was i presented as a woman so no problems & he is a good judge of people . please do let us know how you get on & so we know what its like .

...noeleena...

eluuzion
03-26-2010, 05:21 AM
Being curious and adventurous by nature, in any given setting, I am usually the person to put a kink in the slinky.

I may be eccentric, but I do recognize when to blend into the carpet. Contact with the legal system is always one of those times I become Casper Milktoast. The goal in those circumstances is always the same as it is when I go camping...leave the place in the same condition as it was before I entered it...nobody will know or remember I was even there...

As a general rule...anyone involved with the legal system does not have a sense of humor. If they do, I have never seen it displayed...lol

PretzelGirl
03-26-2010, 08:57 AM
I thought I remember a story of someone doing this. Once I found it, I realized it wasn't quite what you are asking about, but close enough. She must be off-line right now or missed this thread. But here is her original post:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107735

Sherry-Stephanie
03-26-2010, 09:22 AM
If it's not critical to the case then I will almost be certian it will cause you to lose the case!!!!!

From one who spent 26 years in court several times a week....and I can't recall ever seeing a CDer in court...

MarciManseau
03-26-2010, 10:14 AM
I was called for jury duty two years ago. I'm full time, so I went in wearing a conservative blouse and skirt with medium heels, and reported with the notice still in my male name. After consulting with a few people, the bailiff took me into the judge's chambers where the judge questioned me about my choice of clothes. After I explained to him that was transgendered and I'd been living and working as a woman for over 5 years, he was very polite to me.

Luckily I never selected for a jury, so all I had to do was call in the night before to see if they needed me. I was just the slightest bit disappointed.

Hugs, Marci :hugs:

Shelly Preston
03-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Thank you all for your replies

I must admit to thinking the only time I would be in court dressed, would be if it was requested by the court.

I can only see this happening if I was a victim of some sort of crime and the Judge requested to see how I looked dressed

To all of those who are living full time I would expect nothing less than for you to be dressed in what is everyday clothes for you

sherri52
03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
I have not seen or heard of anyone that has. You can be assure that either way you will be outed in the courtroom. Your real name will be called and you will have to take the stand and if not dressed the will point out that you were.