PDA

View Full Version : Came out to my parents

CamilleLeon
03-26-2010, 07:53 PM
In advance: Sorry, this is a long one

Wednesday night my parents drove through Birmingham on their way to Tennessee. We decided it'd be a good idea for us to eat together as they came through town, so we met at a restaurant. I'd had the idea of telling on my mind all day, but I didn't think I could do it. As we were eating, I'd try to think of way to bring it up or say it, but I felt nervous. I didn't think they'd really have an issue with it, I was just...afraid. After we finished eating, my mom asked me if I had anything I wanted to talk about. I guess she could tell I was thinking of something. I took a deep breath and just straight up said "I'm a crossdresser."

There was an awkward moment of silence when nobody said anything, so I went ahead and cleared the two common misconceptions: that I'm heterosexual and don't desire to become a woman. This spurs my mom into question mode. She'd ask me stuff and I'd answer. My dad never said anything, but he nodded his head a lot to the stuff I was saying. I told them about growing up not knowing what any of this means, and being unable to talk to anyone about it because I couldn't accept it myself. They seemed really sympathetic and it went much better after I got over the initial fear of telling them.

The one question I couldn't answer was "What do you want us to do about it?" (or something along those lines). I couldn't answer. I don't know why I felt like I needed to tell them. I'm not expecting to start dressing en femme at home or anything. I told them I just thought they should know since it's an important part of me. Eventually, they had to leave and get back on the road so we hugged goodbyes. I'm sure they had an interesting conversation as they were driving, but I think things went pretty well.

CatAttack
03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Congratulations on telling your parents! Ever since I told my parents, or more like, they found out, things have been going much better. I hope it will be the same for you! :hugs:

Jessy
03-26-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm sure you feel relieved now! Glad it turned out just fine.
And if they ever ask again what they can do about it... I guess to accept you the way you are, would be the best answer.

Kari Lynn Franks
03-26-2010, 08:14 PM
isnt it great knowing that you dont have to live in fear of them finding out now congratulations

ptp009
03-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I guess your response was or still can be, is that I love you guys and want to share it with you beacuse I care about you and what you think.

Jenn

Tina P Hose
03-26-2010, 09:20 PM
You have to do what you have to do.

sherri52
03-26-2010, 09:20 PM
That's great Hannah: It's like taking a load off your mind. Now that they know you won't feel like having to sneak around subjects like this in the future. They may never see you dressed but based on thier reaction they won't hold it against you either.

Marissa
03-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Good for you Hannah..hope all works out in being able to accept you..as you..

funny, my oldest daughter (24) asked today "why don't you let your family know about you?".. i'm like.."uhhhh"..

with a family of a lot of brothers.. manly of man..for the most part.. i had to say "what is the odds of one in ten being gay or a crossdresser???"..i'm the tenth :D

so the others would not understand..even though i would think one is gay as he has not been married or had many GFs..but that could be wrong of me.. he might be the gay one, but i'm the cd.. wow.. could i ever say that???? not sure, but for now, i'm okay being me in my place.. :D

Rachel M
03-27-2010, 02:03 AM
an obvious answer might be "to continue to love me for the person you have always known/taught me to be for this is just another aspect of me that shapes me into the person you've alway loved unconditionally..."
Rachel

CamilleLeon
03-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Thank you all for replying. When I heisitated after being asked what I wanted them to do about it, my mom said, "How about I tell you I love you?" That's all I could really ask for anyway.

KristinSkye
03-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Thank you all for replying. When I heisitated after being asked what I wanted them to do about it, my mom said, "How about I tell you I love you?" That's all I could really ask for anyway.

Aww, that was really sweet of her :)

I have to ask; what made you want to tell them? I only ask because I've thought about telling mine, but I'm not sure what good or bad for that matter will come of it.

jenifer m.
03-27-2010, 08:49 PM
congrats!you got one up on me my parents dont know about me,but might suspect as i do act pretty girly around them.but thats great.big load off huh?

Simply_Vanessa
03-27-2010, 09:23 PM
glad they seemed to be ok with it! when I came out to my parents...my mom got depressed, and my dad yelled at me for literally 2 hours straight :Angry3:

Vickie_CDTV
03-28-2010, 03:10 AM
I envy the young folks who have been able to come out to their parents and it has been a positive experience for them. I told my mom when I was in my late teens and she was (and is) accepting of me. My old man found out about me shortly thereafter and it was not a pleasant discussion ("What are you a faggot?", "You are a worthless pervert!" etc. etc.) It was not discussed by him after that, but to this day, once in a great while, he will bring it up and use it as a weapon against me.

Bunny Girl Zoe
03-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Congrats on telling them i'm sure be weight off you.

Sweeterica
03-28-2010, 07:14 AM
well done,its tough to do that, im glad they ok about it ,hope it makes you feel more at ease with it,all the best and enjoy it all,i do, its so much better when someone close accepts it.

BRANDYJ
03-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Congratulations on your courage. I too am glad it went well for you. It made me wonder though. I lost my dad at age 10. My mother died when I was 16. Knowing the great relationship I had with my mother and how accepting she was about all sorts of things, I wonder if had she lived, would I have ended up telling her. I just know she would still love me and probably do as she always did, and make me fell good about it wiht her great sense of humor about life in general.

msniki48
03-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Hanna! Good for you! You have now opened the door for communication. Although you could not answer a particular question during your meal [ a lot going on in your head] I am sure that if you find an answer or care to speak more about it to your mom and dad, the conversation will be so much easier. it might even be casual phone conversation with your mom.

Hun, I envy you

hugs

Shananigans
03-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Now, you just have to tell your roommate so that you can have your clothes at your place. I feel like a 2 hour drive for Hannah's clothes at my place might be a bit excessive. :sad:

CamilleLeon
03-28-2010, 01:53 PM
@Kristin: I'm not really sure why I felt like I needed to tell them. I had been feeling like I really wanted to tell people, and I thought my had suspicions because she noticed I shaved my arms and legs. I guess I just felt like I was comforatble enough with it that they should know, and I didn't think it would be an issue. If you think your parents will be alright with it, then you should totally go for it. It's hard, but you'll feel much better.

It really is a pretty big load off, although I'm not sure when we'll be able to talk about it without it being too awkward. I'm sorry that it doesn't always go over well for a lot of you. Crossdressing is hard enough without additional guilt forced upon you from those you love.

countrygirl
04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Congrats on Coming out to your parents....

rocketscientist
04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
They ask what they can do tell them they can buy you some dresses and cute shoes!!! Hugs, Tonya

SexiBobbi
04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, what Tonya said!

Lexine
04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
That's great news! I'm glad that your parents handled it in a very civil manner. This is definitely a win for you and all I wish is that all our parents would act this way!

Rianna Humble
04-02-2010, 03:01 PM

That's such a cool response it brought tears to my eyes.

We sometimes make the mistake of underestimating how strong our parents' love can be. I know I did with my dad.

Tahiri
04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
I just wanted to take this opportunity to offer my congratulations aswell. Glad it all worked out for you

shaniquia
04-02-2010, 07:51 PM
honesty is the best policy, good for you xxx