PDA

View Full Version : ADD & CD any connection ?

rachellegsep
08-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi all
I've recently found out my son is ADHD and knowing the symptoms, also that it is genetic, it most certainly comes from my side of the familly. ADD / ADHD is caused by a lack of a transmitting chemical in the brain. Was wondering if their might be any connection. Years ago ADD didnt officially exist, you were just a naughty child who would grow out of it. There lots of greneration X's might never know they have it. This lead to a strange thought just now (get your minds out of the gutter :D ). It might be an interesting survey.

How many of you are either ADD / ADHD or have children who are :confused:

ADD - Attention deficit disorder
ADHD - Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder like the duracell / energizer bunny depending on where you live. Only problem is the batteries don't go flat or can't be removed :)

Tristen Cox
08-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh...What did you say again? :D (joking)

Angela Burke
08-13-2005, 06:22 PM
All of those !

Love Angela XX

Jodi
08-13-2005, 06:25 PM
I grew up as I'm sure would be called today ADDH. It can be a tough life for a child with no control of impulses. I've learned to compensate to help me through. I'm still a very poor reader. Takes me a least three readings to understand a standard 30 page chapter. I have three college degrees. So it can be overcome. The first one was the toughest, concentration wise. Studying got easier as I learned what the problem was and how to compensate for it. I am not a fan of blanket medication for ADDH. For some, maybe yes, but not all.

Whether this is a factor in me being a lifelong cd--who knows.

Jodi

jmart
08-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I happen to work with these children everyday. Myself, I am ADD and Dyslexic all rolled into one. I guess you can say I have a hard time paying attention backwards. It's kinda crazy

ChristineRenee
08-13-2005, 09:10 PM
I'm ADD...have been all of my life. I'm not sure that it has any relation to me being a CD or not but I suppose it's possible.

Rachael Warren
08-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Interesting point, my son was treated for ADHD during his first years at school.

Thinking about it, I have allways had difficulty concentrating on one thing.

Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

Rachael.

RobynP
08-14-2005, 12:14 PM
How many of you are either ADD / ADHD or have children who are :confused:

:)

I've been diagnosed with Adult ADHD. I think my son may have ADHD but he is not a cder...

Very little is known about Adult ADHD because there has been no research. In the past, doctors felt that children would grow out of ADHD as they become adults. Well, they were wrong!

I personally don't think there is a DIRECT connection between ADHD and crossdressing. There may be a CASUAL connection but until there is research done, this will continue to be another "Do you or are you .... (fill in the blank) ... and crossdress?" kind of discussion.

Robyn P.

rachellegsep
08-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Like I said just a whacky off the top of my head thought. Maybe the lack of the chemical in the brain affects the way we think. Anyway I do know crossdressing for me gives a sense of well being. Come to think of it so does something else. Hmmm where did I hide that slab of dark chocolate would go well with a double expresso and a cigi right now :drool:

Katiegirl
08-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Sorry those symtoms don't apply to me, I can concentrate on a problem or problems until there is an outcome, if something is boring or of no interest to me then my mind will wander like most peoples.

The only item that I can connect with is that I suffer from a form of Dyslexic, whereby I can't associate words and letters so I have to physically remember the spelling of a word and yes I still get it wrong a number of times, thank God for spell check.

I have read over the period I have been with the forum, tha many suffer from depression, now is this brought on by their desire to cross dress or is it part of being a cross dresser. I can get very depessed at times and it is very difficult to overcame.

:)

Mind of a Woman, Body of a Man, Life is a Bitch

nancy58
08-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Rachell,

Maybe you have something there. ADHD has reared its head in my three-person family unit over the last year. My daughter was diagnosed with it last fall, and my SO seems to also have ADHD and some kind of dyslexia. As for me, I didn't believe in ADHD until I read Driven to Distraction, wherein I found lots of familiar ground in my own life -- but I didn't self-score to but just under borderline. I still wonder how much ADHD is a disorder, and how much it's just marching to one's own drummer. I'm pretty sure Tom Sawyer and his creator, Mark Twain, would be considered to be ADHD.

Regarding the association of depression with ADHD, remember also that people with ADHD frequently have a negative self-image from all the feedback they've gotten from their behavior over the years. One can argue whether it's the chicken or the egg, but I'll wager that depression is a result of ADHD, not that ADHD is a result of a chemical-induced depression.

Crossdressing and depression may also be a chicken-and-egg debate. I'm not sure whether I dress up because I'm feeling depressed and/or lonely. I still have trouble accepting my crossdressing -- maybe more trouble with it than my SO has. If I regularly engage in something I disapprove of, am I not setting myself up to be depressed by it? Yes, I can tell myself it's all right, but that doesn't mean I completely believe it on a subconscious level.

Anyway, it's an interesting question. I'd be interested in learning how many of you have ADHD, or you have blood relatives within one generation who have ADHD, and how many of you don't. Maybe someone on the list is a psychology student in need of a thesis topic?

On another subject, does anyone know how to lengthen the time before the website kicks me out and forces me to login again?

Cheers!
Nancy

Dian
08-16-2005, 01:32 AM
What a great question Rachelle!

I'm ADHD and have done alot of reading on that subject. I also have studied Jungian psychology in school and as part of counseling for depression. I have wondered about the link between the two, but felt it was a question that would be a bit ackward to ask the local CHADD group.

For me I feel that it could be that the ADHD is what has allowed my true inner self to find her way out and bring a balance and a measure of harmony to my life.

Now, if I could just find the nerve to be more comfortable with how I look and venture en femme outside of my home.

Lisa Maren
08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone

I have ADD too. May I make a clarifiaction, though? ADD is actually a subset of ADHD, not a separate disorder. There are three types of ADHD:

1) The Hyperactivity Type (aka Energizer Bunny)
2) The Inattentive Type (aka the "space cadet" aka ADD)
3) The Combined Type (aka the "spaced out Energizer Bunny?")

I'm the inattentive type. There is an impulsivity/compulsivity feature of ADD, but... I suspect that, if anything, for me anyhoo, that only had an effect on *whether* I put on female clothing (though I started with phose at age 3 which might be too early for ADD to affect anything) and possibly how frequently. But I don't think it has anything to do with *wanting* to put the clothes on or what I am or I feel I might be on the inside. That must clearly originate from something else. One might also argue that eating a dessert at a restaurant was an impulsive/compulsive thing to do, but that's not what gives rise to the urge to eat, darlings. That's called hunger and would be there with or without the impulsivity/compulsivity. Same thing with my femininity.

Good thread!

Hugs,
Lisa

Melissa A.
08-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I have ADHD, was always a hyper, innatentive kid, but in the 60's and 70's, who knew there was more to it? I did excellently in school, when I tried, which wasn't often. I usually found a way to skate by on minimum effort. I was only diagnosed about 10 years ago. I find that the ritalin helps, in subtle ways. It's not a silver bullet, but it does help. I find those times when I walk into a room and say, "why did I come in here?" are much less frequent. And I keep much better track of my wallet and keys!(and don't get maniacally pissed off when I do lose them) I am also more responsible and organised. The difference is noticable when I go off of my meds.

But my desire to be Melissa hasn't changed a bit. I have been thinking about crossdressing since I was 4 or 5. I don't know if that is signifigant. I have also never suffered from any kind of deppression, or extreme highs or lows. I don't know if ADD and CD are related. Maybe alot of cders have ADD, but I kinda doubt having it causes crossdressing! I know that the medication isn't for everyone, but like I said, it seems to help me. I'm just thankful that it didn't take away the girl in me.

Hugs,

Melissa :)