PDA

View Full Version : How to measure up???

SIAN
08-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Hmm, how do you girls measure up to buy clothes? Do you you follow female charts? I want to buy some things but i don't know what sizes to buy? Do you buy a size smaller panties a size bigger top, what? What do you use to gauge yourself with? Is there to many question marks in this thread +? . What i want to know is how do guys measure them selves to buy ladies clothes +? yet another question mark :) .

Jodi
08-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Sian, Before I began to try on in stores. I would carry a small (6') tapemeasure in my pocket. I would measure the waist of a skirt. If the cross measurement came out to around 15", I knew the skirt would work. Just know what your waist, chest, arm length, and leg inseam is, and use the tape measure. Worked for me for years.

Jodi

SIAN
08-13-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm still very quiet about what i do so going to shops at the moment is out. I've found some sales in catelogues, but don't want to order clothes that don't fit. is it a case of try it and see?

SIAN
08-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi Kimberly, how and where do you buy your clothes. Have you ever found smaller or bigger is better. I'm not over weigth but i wish i could squash my beer belly a little. What about Breast size? How did you decide on them?

Tedi
08-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Sian,

Staying undercover can be difficult at times. When buying clothes try to mail order or internet order through sites like J C Penney or something like that. Nobody would suspect anything from a generic mail order catalog company. Sure there's lots of places out there that you can buy from like "We be bras" and "bras are us". I don't want that that stuff coming to my house. so it take a little studying to figure out where to buy things.
I figure your breast size will depend on your frame. If you're small.. You probably don't want to try for double D breasts. Go to web sites that sell bras and sites that sell breast forms.. Figure out the measurements from there.
It all takes time. Getting things right isn't going to happen over night. Do your homework.

Tristen Cox
08-14-2005, 01:18 AM
How to measure up?

Take any ruler and measure any distance going down, then double it going the opposite direction, bingo you measured up! :D

Rachael Warren
08-14-2005, 04:36 AM
Or for the very high mesurements you could use an altimeter!

Getting the right size can be awkward, I like Jodi, measure the waist line, for me 15" accross is my natural waist. That said you have to look at the cut arround the hips, we differ there to GG's. So I tend to fit a UK12, but item cut to be worn lower arround hips for me could be a UK10. I have a couple that are UK14 and only just fit though!

The bust size is done in a similar fashion. Like Kimberly said a charity shop is good for this. Top side I can be anything from a 12 to 16 depending on the item. It can be hit and miss, you just need to work it out for your frame.

I suppose this is why GG's always try on an item before buying, I havn't had the nerve to do that yet though, although it is an ambition of mine to do it one day! :D

Rachael.

Daphnie-Duck
08-14-2005, 05:08 AM
Like Kimberly said a charity shop is good for this.

Yes, thrift stores are the best way to get started. In fact, that's about the only place I shop for clothes (except for panties. I get those at Wal-Mart and use the self-service checkout.)

Anyway, if you are worried about people seeing you going into one of the fitting rooms with skirts and dresses, all you have to do is toss a pair or two of jeans on top in your basket as sort of a camoflage.

Also, it helps to primarily shop for clothes that have a good bit of stretchiness to them. If you can stretch the waistband on a skirt to a width wider than your hips, then chances are, you have found something that will fit. Dresses are a different matter though. My technique is to just try to judge whether or not a dress might fit just by looking at it. If I think it might, then I take it to the fitting room and try it on. It's still hit or miss though. Quite often, I can get the dress on, but can't zip it up in the back without risking breaking the zipper.

It will take some experimenting, but you will eventually get the hang of it I'm sure.

Angela Burke
08-14-2005, 05:53 AM
Hmm, how do you girls measure up to buy clothes? Do you you follow female charts? I want to buy some things but i don't know what sizes to buy? Do you buy a size smaller panties a size bigger top, what? What do you use to gauge yourself with? Is there to many question marks in this thread +? . What i want to know is how do guys measure them selves to buy ladies clothes +? yet another question mark :) .
Hi Sian,
Buying clothes that fit properly is a real problem.
A skirt or a dress may have your size on the label but unfortunately there really isn't any standardisation.
Buying a skirt you really like without trying on, getting home (full of anticipation!) and it isn't a fit is to put it mildly quite a dissapointment!
Get a dressmakers soft meausuring tape.
There are conversion charts for male to female sizeing.
I'm sure one of the other girls will be able to to give you much more info.

Love Angela XX

urban gypsy
08-14-2005, 06:04 AM
I buy mostly from ebay now but charity shops are great to start with. but i found the size charts in catalogues good for size comparisons. for trousers and skirts i go one size smaller because of the hip size. for tops i do a direct comparison but watch the lenght because if you are tall GG tops are not as long in the body. underwear panties 2 sizes smaller bras 1 size smaller.
i hope this is of some help there are a couple of great uk catalogues that the sizing is very accurate and have fairly update fashion in it and larger size shoes in wider fittings send a pm and i will give you there name on contact details web addresses phone numbers etc.

big hugs
joanna