PDA

View Full Version : Vivian's brilliant idea to go to Ikea...

vivian76
03-28-2010, 12:38 AM
So last Friday, I had taken the day off work (just felt like I needed a break)... I ended up sleeping in, and lounging around in my pj's all day... I was having a real veg-out day. By early evening though, Vivian was demanding to go out, and I needed to pickup various kitchen and organizing things - so I decided that a trip to Ikea was in order.

So I got ready, and headed out... it was close to 8pm by the time I left home... perfect I thought... no one would be at Ikea at 8pm on a Friday night. :) After a short drive, I pull in to the parking lot... and it's full of cars! :eek: I park and have a minor freakout. "What are all these crazy people doing here at this time of night?" "Don't they have anything better to do?" I'm just imagining the store bursting at the seams with people. Now I don't mind being out in public, but a full Ikea... that's a bit daunting :sad:
I sat in my car for a good five minutes... wanting to leave, and yet determined to not go home empty handed without my stuff. I had to reason to myself - what was the difference between ten or twenty people seeing me versus a couple hundred? Not much I guess... considering I've never really had a bad experience in public...
I sat there watching people come and go from the store... blissfully unaware of the epic battle going on inside my head. After much debate, I came to the conclusion that I was being ridiculous, and to just go buy my stuff. So I did.

Now, if you've never been to an Ikea, it's an odd store... it isn't a big open box with aisles like a normal store... they're sort of setup like a maze, and you have to navigate your way through the entire store to get to the cashes and back out. (There are shortcuts... if you know them though)
So I made my way through the store, dodging carts and small children, jumping out of the way of strollers and determined seniors with canes, and picked up my stuff. And you know what? Nothing happened. I waited in the cash lines... the cashier didn't even blink. The whole time, I think I had maybe one double-take, a couple of smiles from women, and some men *may* have checked me out... and that was it. I was just another random crazy person in an Ikea on Friday night. I left that store feeling great. It might sound dumb, but I was really proud of myself.
I had faced my (possibly unreasonable) fears, and left the store with more confidence than I had when I went in.

Anyhow, just wanted to share that experience with you. :)

Vivian.

Bree-asaurus
03-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks for sharing. It's stories like these that, little by little, help me work up the courage to maybe one day do the same :)

joannemarie barker
03-28-2010, 02:11 AM
That's a great story I'm so glad it went well for you :) judging by your pic I'm not surprised you weren't read!
As for you brian you'd have no worries either :)

vivian76
03-28-2010, 02:18 AM
That's a great story I'm so glad it went well for you :) judging by your pic I'm not surprised you weren't read!
As for you brian you'd have no worries either :)

Thanks :) But, it's not that I think I "passed"... I really think it's more a case of people either not noticing me, or if they do and they see something "different" about me, they just don't care.

Rachel M
03-28-2010, 02:53 AM
If you are an IKEA fan this is a great experience. This is one destination I too enjoy doing when all made up. I have had those same doubts as you did but when you have 100s of people looking for that must needed item then tend to focus less on you. You essentially become another face in the crowd. If you got that extra spring in your step or gleam in your I you will definitely get that second look. Just grin and smile as it can be contagious
Rachel

pernille d
03-28-2010, 03:49 AM
well done , and ikea of all places good choice

, but off the track i have to ask " did the fact that you where there as vivian take your mind off filling up your basket with all those small things that you just end up with when you get to the check out" if so maybe i should go to ikea as pernille and maybe i would save lots of money.

thanks for the idea maybe a vist to my local lkea is now on the cards fior pernille

eluuzion
03-28-2010, 04:35 AM
They are just breaking ground for the first IKEA in Denver.
400,000 sq ft + facility. Can't wait!

Jenny Doolittle
03-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi Viv,

Oh girl, I think it is a couple reasons you were not noticed, (or maybe you were noticed and those guys really enjoyed the view) You look wonderful, you have confidence, and at Ikea, everyone is looking at the stuff that will transform their home into something special. I love going to Ikea, just wish the floors were a little easier on my back for a 2-3 hour shopping visit.

Have fun on your next venture out and I hope you found all your kitchen needs.

Sometimes Steffi
03-28-2010, 08:15 AM
I had to reason to myself - what was the difference between ten or twenty people seeing me versus a couple hundred? Not much I guess... considering I've never really had a bad experience in public...

I'm amazed how many people either don't notice or don't care. I went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival a couple of times en femme. I rented a "Wench" costume, and put on minimal make up, just some concealer and lipstick, and a scarf over a short wig. Certainly not passable.

There must have been thousands of people there, maybe tens of thousands. A whole farmer's field was filled with cars.

And I only got looks from a dozen or so people the whole day, mostly women who picked up on it right away and smiled, and one inebriated guy who was kind of freaked out about it. And I got quite a number of complements, including ones from the girls who helped me dress.

No, not that; she laced up my waist cincher.

Bunny Girl Zoe
03-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Last time I was in Ikea I was getting lost found item in end right at end by cashouts. Well done for going femme when full so good on you.

TxKimberly
03-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Good for you Vivian! You know the person that rushes in to something that is scary or dangerous with no thought is not necesarily showing bravery. The person that considers the situation, is scared, and yet still pushes forward despite their fear as you did here is showing bravery

Staci G
03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I love when that happens, it really is a cofidence booster. I am very happy you a good experience. I think maybe the times are gettin better fo us, I hope.

Loni
03-28-2010, 12:32 PM
if you do not want to be seen, try a walmart the day of the first each mo. the support checks have been cashed by then. talk about a jungle.
only problem you will have is parking and waiting in the long lines to pay.

CamilleLeon
03-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Congrats Vivian! It's amazing how nerve wracking just going out can be. That must've been a great confidence booster

eileendover
03-28-2010, 02:09 PM
IKEA and CDing - some assembly required. :heehee:

Victoria StJohn
03-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Eileen, I got a chuckle out of this one. Cheers, VSJ. :):):)

Cindi
03-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Congratulations Vivian on your first adventure out.
I had a similar experience last Thanksgiving weekend.
I ventured out to a large, local groceteria enfemme where I have shopped for years in male mode. I had no adverse experiences and to this day I continue to shop at the same store, and others in this city with no bad experiences.It just seems to get easier, although I don't know what I would do if I ran into someone who recognized me.
I have prowled malls enfemme in cities other than my own and have found people don't notice, or don't care.
Best of luck in future ventures forth.
:hugs:

Cindi

sherri52
03-28-2010, 03:54 PM
That's a good story Vivian. Overcoming you nonexistant fears before they appear LOL

gabimartini
03-28-2010, 04:45 PM
A lady's gotta do what a lady's gotta do!!! Kudos to you, Vivian!!

It's funny. Though a lot goes through our minds, in the end it's just like you said: we are just another face in the crowd, shopping on a Friday night. I remember all that went through my mind when I first went out... and once out there, nobody took a second look!

Guess we worry too much, should spend all that energy on having more fun!

prene
04-09-2010, 10:41 PM
You look so good no wonder you had no problems.

I had a few laughs but otherwise OK.

Never ran into High School boys which I bet would have been fun.

My story . . . I just did the same thing but shorter time out in public.

It is called "Got a bite to eat and"

Hope to hear more