PDA

View Full Version : My journal post from another site

Misty is Kindafem
03-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Becoming Misty :Part 1

The twists and turns life takes are truly magical.

Today I had an epiphany while I was wishing and hoping. In my last journal post I described a life of running from the little girl inside. The O'Henry type of twist I've suffered is more comical than tragic. As a boy, I was so feminine that I was literally mistaken for a girl at least once a day. My hair was a little too long, my frame was a little too small and my voice was a little too high. I, of course was too young to feel one way or another about my presentation but as time went on, and I began to be shunned by both sexes, I began my "transformation" into manhood. Over the years I learned to be a man and I worked hard to "masculine-ize" myself. Keep in mind that all the while I was fighting off my innate sensitivity and femininity. Real men don't cry. Real men don't like to shop. Real men don't drink Cosmos. Speaking of drinking, I wouldn't do it. I never drank alcohol throughout my twenties because I was terrified that my mask would slip if I got drunk. I had already "experimented" with men and I was certain that the right combination of circumstances would confirm to everyone that I was just a sissy and probably a fag too. Obviously I was projecting a bit and it's absolutely true that those who are the most demonstrably anti gay are in all likelihood terrified to face their own reality.

So time passes and about a year ago I stopped pretending and learned to embrace my inner self. I admitted out loud that not only am I attracted to men, but I HATED being one. I was at the end of my rope. I was sick sick sick of trying to be rugged and tough. All of my childhood memories came flooding over me and I decided then and there that I was going to be true to myself. I had career obligations but I was finished hiding in my own home. I had taken a huge step forward towards self acceptance, ...but I wasn't quite there yet.

Today I took another step towards self acceptance and love. Isn't it funny that we sabotage ourselves and our own happiness so cunningly that we don't even know that we're doing it.

All of those years of "manliness" had taken quite a toll on my naturally fem form so there I was, standing in front of the mirror and, and ...hating. I'm thinking to myself that someday "this" will be gone and "that" will be different. I was wishing for the impossible and waiting for changes that will come slowly if at all. Then something magical happened. A phrase came to my mind and soaked into my impatient and unsatisfied spirit. What of the waiting?

What of the waiting? What the F am I waiting for? When will I love myself? When I'm perfect? That'll be a long wait honey. I decided right then to stop waiting and start loving. I made a vow to myself that I would no longer dwell on what was wrong with me, but I would celebrate what was right. I realized that I was extremely lucky and blessed to be who and what I am right now, so I sat down and wrote out a few things that I should always be grateful for.

My youth - I'm not 29 anymore, but I was a tortured soul at that age. I'm at the age where I can appreciate my victories as well as my losses. I'm young enough to still be hot but old enough to enjoy it. I mean really enjoy it, the way a younger person could never understand.

My body - I'm not a Victoria's Secret model, but I have many advantages over a lot of my TG sisters. I have small wrists and hands, I do not have copious amounts of body hair, I have no adams apple, I'm not stocky. There are many many things I could complain about in regard to my body but there are many more blessings to be thankful for. When I complain about this horrid "guy" body, it's a slap in the face to those brave sisters who have more challenges than I, yet they push through and make the best of what they have. When a 250 pound guy can rock a strapless gown and be the belle of the ball while she dances the night away, then I just need to shut the F up.

My hair - Is growing out nicely and I'm just one salon visit away from being done with wigs forever.

My lifestyle - I'm free. I have no family or no relationship that I have to consider. Many of my sisters come out to themselves at this age but are forced to remain hidden due to wives or close family members that will not accept who they are. It's embarrassing for me to complain about being closeted at work when this is my own choice. I'm only closeted because I don't want to sacrifice my comfort. Some sisters are closeted because they don't want to sacrifice their family. My concerns seem a little shallow in comparison. Again, there are people like me out there who have REAL problems and REAL consequences for self actualization. The worst thing that could happen to me is embarrassment or a loss of a job. What in the hell do I have to complain about? It is unacceptable for a man to complain about the long drive while others must walk.

The lesson here is the same for all of us. Stop waiting and start living. For everything you complain about in your life, there must be at least one thing to be thankful for. If we can all just get in the habit of celebrating what is right, maybe we'll eventually stop noticing what is wrong.

Maybe what's wrong, isn't the problem at all.

-Misty

Faith_G
03-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, Misty! I came to pretty much the same point a few months ago. Single (not even an SO), no kids, no house, and some money in the bank for the things I need done and to hold me over if the job situation doesn't work out. The only thing holding me back was fear. What used to feel like my comfort zone had become uncomfortably small.

I wish you the best as you travel down this path. :hugs:

Karen564
03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Good for You Misty!!! :cheer:

I knew you'd see the light one day..and so happy for you.!!!:hugs:

At least your not following my footsteps by foolishly waiting too long to come to the realization that the man masquerade thing can't go on forever..:devil::doh:
The woman inside us eventually wins in time anyways, so no sense holding her back any longer...just embrace her to the fullest & enjoy the ride while your still young..:heehee:

Here's to you..drinks are on the house......:drink:

Mary Morgan
03-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Not only is your writing well articulated, it is empowering. You have both the gift of foresight and the ability to clearly express what so many of us confront. in the end it is about us. For many, the "us" includes those who are part of our armor or mask and they have become part of the body of our lives. Yet they would be the first to tell us to be true to ourselves. So the battle is joined. What are we waiting for?

KarenS
03-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Hello Misty,

I think many of us here have had feelings in some form and in some extent to yours. It certainly helps to share and vocalize our feelings and emotions.

hugs.

Barbara Dugan
03-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Great words Misty, is amazing how we went through almost the same things during our life. Its like reading my own experiences:hugs:

CamilleLeon
03-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Love it Misty, very inspiring. Too many people here, and in other situations in life don't love themselves.

LisaM
03-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Beautiful post, Misty. Enjoy your journey.

carolinoakland
03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
It's been said sister, that all transexual's stories are the same, just the names and dates are diferent. I made a few of those self same discoveries, and the one that started it all, or ended the suffering was.... " I give myself permission to be happy." Becasue this has been the one constant in my life. The second was, if I wanted change IN my life, I was going to have to REACH for change myself. And a great quote from Helen Boyd....
I'm trying to be "the woman I would have been, if I'd been the woman I would have been." Fearless has a lot less baggage no?

Sarah Doepner
03-29-2010, 10:54 AM
I agree with the others Misty. There are so many posts here with a focus of "what is wrong with my . . . body, face, hair, life, relationships, work, etc." and too many that focus on what is right.

Your effort to twist that around is refreshing and very welcome. I am as guilty as the next girl in looking at the things I can't control and using them as excuses to not go for what I can. Thanks for the reminder.

Kaitlyn Michele
03-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey!!! when did you get all serious??!!!!! :battingeyelashes:

i got alot of smiles reading your post...its a nice feeling to get "new" understanding, even if it was under your nose the whole time..

Jessy
03-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I enjoyed reading your post. And I see you made the right choice. Kinda wish I was at that point of fully accepting and loving myself... It's just so many unknown factors on the road that make me chicken out every time.
Anyway wish you best of luck on the journey.

Mona
03-29-2010, 08:42 PM
My journey has been similar, especially the "gotta be a man" part. Thank you for writing such a beautiful post!

Misty is Kindafem
03-29-2010, 08:49 PM
It's been said sister, that all transexual's stories are the same, just the names and dates are diferent.

Yes, I suspect that's true.

I think the vast majority of us are victims of our environment and expectations rather than testosterone.

I sometimes imagine what my life would be like today if the world weren't so rigid and my natural femininity would have been nurtured rather than feared.

Would I be a better man or a better woman?

-Misty

Rachel Morley
03-29-2010, 10:31 PM
When will I love myself? When I'm perfect? That'll be a long wait honey. I decided right then to stop waiting and start loving.
What an awesome attitude! :) Yes, we have to do it for ourselves. Ok, some of us might need a little help from others (I sure did) but at the end of the day we are in control of our own destiny and it's up us to make ourselves happy.

Having had the privilege of meeting you in person Misty, I can attest to saying yes, you do look real good and so your expression of your naturally feminine side obviously suits you. :hugs:

Hugs
Rachel

Kaitlyn Michele
03-29-2010, 11:07 PM
"Style is loving yourself until everyone loves you too"

thats a lyric from a Prince song btw

jenifer m.
03-29-2010, 11:43 PM
you made some good points.i enjoyed your thread.