PDA

View Full Version : Got rid of clothes, but NOT a purge

Cristi
03-30-2010, 11:10 PM
I have an entire large closet full of dresses, skirts and blouses, plus three out of four drawers in a dresser for 'unmentionables'.

I basically ran out of room. I was having a harder and harder time fitting any men's clothes in anywhere, and couldn't really justify buying more skirts or dresses... so I finally got to the point where I really had to clean out.

I become attached to a lot of things, even things I don't really wear, because of the circumstances and memory of buying them. Or I've bought things that have never really fit (or just plain don't look good on me) because I COULD and just wanted to shop.

For more years of this behavior than I should have gotten away with, I just added and added clothes and never thinned things out.

Well, this past weekend changed that. Doesn't fit (and isn't likely to in the future)? In the bag. Out of fashion or looks dowdy? In the bag. Worn/torn/stained? Out it goes.

By the time I was finished, I had quite a large pile of dresses, skirts, tops and various other things on the floor (everything ended up in a donation box downtown). I love the thought that some sister might find my old things on the hanger at a thrift store and be excited to bring it home.

Since I was on a roll I ended the afternoon by organizing things by season, putting all my Winter stuff away for now.

And best of all? I have enough room in the closet so I can go SHOPPING! :heehee:

I also surprised myself a bit by doing a count as I went. Somehow, without really realizing it, I got up to over two dozen dresses and just as many skirts. I finally understand the old 'Not a thing to wear' thing that GGs can say sometimes. There are a lot of bases to cover with Winter/Summer wardrobe, different materials, solids and prints, formal or casual, short, knee length, full length... by the times you get a few of each, the closet it full!

I think I've grown and feel more comfortable shopping, so from now on can fill my closet with only things that fit AND look good on me.

MargaretJ
03-31-2010, 07:56 AM
I think I've grown and feel more comfortable shopping, so from now on can fill my closet with only things that fit AND look good on me.

Cristi, I had a mini clear out of stuff recently, and your quote above says it all. Now that I have an idea of my sizes, no more buying stuff and hoping it fits. I even purged some shoes :eek:

Like you, I gave them to a Charity Shop. Wonder if I will ever see another girl in my shoes.

joank
03-31-2010, 10:35 AM
I just last Thursday did the same thing. Blazers, skirts, shirts, sweaters and shoes. All were either ill fitting or something I replaced with items I liked better. I'll do this again when I go to my hot weather clothes. I hope the items give others the joy they gave me. And yes, they ended up in a thrift box.

Suzie Q GG
03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
It's so nice to hear that someone else doesn't ever have something to wear but has a ton of clothes. Whenever something new comes up, it's not that I don't have something to wear, it's that I don't have the right thing to wear. My husband doesn't understand that. Good job on donating the clothes, I'm sure some women out there will love and appreciate them and you get new clothes for them which is a plus!

sherri52
03-31-2010, 04:09 PM
We all can do for a bit more shopping. You gave yourself one.

Soriya
03-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Wow, I am jealous! LOL I wish I was at the donation place. I am starting from scratch!

Jamie48
03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree, every so often one must thin out the clothing that is worn, torn or just doesn't fit any more. Some things you get tired of or never really wear.
Pass these things along and maybe just maybe one of our sisters will come accross something new to them at the thrift store. For gods sake never just trash something, donate it!

Dutchess
03-31-2010, 04:52 PM
My husband needs to do this bad.. his tastes have grown from the ridiculous $1.00 stripper to still sexy but cute . And some things a GG his age would wear anyway .. He also has so many corsets I cannot count ,, some do not fit because of his ribcage .. you can see he is thin as a rail, I cant fix his ribs for him ,, our closet s expoding with corsets and halter dresses.

t-girlxsophie
03-31-2010, 09:19 PM
I must be the worlds worst for hoarding Clothes,every time I try and clear out I always have some excuse,no matter how obscure NOT to throw anything out.My wardrobe and Drawer space still bulge with outfits,keep telling myself I should take clothes I no longer wear to Charity shops and do some good,need to do it,because where am i going to put my new Clothes lol

Joanna Maguire
04-01-2010, 04:35 AM
When I first married I purge my femme clothing. 2 Years later I again began buying feminine clothing, My wife found out I was a Cd about 3 years later. Purging is not good Once a Cd always a CD> At the moment I have few males clothes. I have 2 wardrobes full of feminine clothing lingerie and about 12 corsts and 10 girdles and 8 bras. & wiggs and a draw full of make up. When my wife discovered I was a CD I had not removed all my lipstick after a day of shopping. She was at first a bit upset Because she thought I had a Mistress or girl friend. Eventually she accepted my being a CD She met other CDs at The Sea Horse club. The only condition my wife made was If i dressed enfemme I must become her housemaid Do all the cleaning washing and cooking. I have done so now for at least 20 years

thechic
04-01-2010, 06:25 AM
I was once a hoarder and ran out of room just to often.
But now,have learnt to Give my wardrobe a clear out once every year and just resell the things i don't use often , this keeps my wardrobe up to date and manageable and with the latest fashions. the money from selling the old stuff goes toward buying new stuff.
This is my soft purge. :heehee::heehee::drink:

jenifer m.
04-01-2010, 09:15 AM
i hate clearing out my things.i sometimes wish i still had that great fitting pair of heels i donated.or whatever.

Andy66
04-01-2010, 09:51 AM
It's about time for me to do this too. I try to do a big closet reorganizing every Spring and Fall. Unlike some people, I thin things down to one week's worth of clothes, plus a couple of special occasion items. Anything more is just a waste of space.

dorylinn
04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I love the thought that some sister might find my old things on the hanger at a thrift store and be excited to bring it home.

The "revolving door" of the thrift shops.:cute:

I sometimes think of these shops as a laundry service. I'm sure I bought the same thing twice!

Amanda Stubbs
04-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I was just thinking the same thing the other day about a purge, I too have way too much! There is no space for the new clothes I've just got! So I thought this weekend I'll have a clear out!