PDA

View Full Version : My car broke down!

Midnight Skye
04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
What a crazy freaking day... So yeah I'm going to tell a story about my car breaking down... not normally the most interesting thing in the world. But its the first time its happened when I was enfem. :o To boot... I was dressed to the hilt, new mid-length black flowing skirt, dark red top with burn-out see-through spots along the top, and 4-inch brown heels.

So I've been going out more and more as a female, and today I was going to pickup a dress for my granddaughter (my wifes older than me :heehee: and I'm 20's and she's my step-granddaughter technically, but to me she's my little munch-kin). Well only 9 miles down the road my power steering dies along with my engine. Fortunately I was able to coast into a church driveway! I started the round of phone calls and finally got a hold of my step-son who came to get me (1 hour away... 80 degrees out... no air... my face = melting).

While I waited I checked my fuses, fluids, belts. etc. To my surprise after about 20 mins a 18ish-20ish guy pulls up to see if I need help, while I have my head under the hood checking fuses. I told him I should be all good and someone was coming. But he insisted to ask about what was wrong, what might be going on, etc. He talked with me about 5 mins on what might be wrong, while I pulled fuses chatting back. After 5 mins he fessed up it was probably serious and he had no idea how to fix it. I thanked him and he headed off.

Finally my step son got there... with a hitch hiker. :doh: Fortunately I did my natural thing and he insisted on taking a look at the car with both of us... we determined it was dead and either needed spark plugs, an alternator or something along the lines of the fuel system. We decided to drop him off then head on to autozone to pickup spark plugs and antiseaze.

After we still needed the dress for the granddaughter! So we headed up to JCPenny and fought a horde of woman for easter dresses. Seriously there were about 6-8 woman and 6-8 agitated children in a 20ft square area looking for dresses. It's true what they say, people busy with their lives don't pay much attention to us... because no one batted an eye.

When we got back to my car we found out I bought the wrong plugs :Angry3: so we went home to look everything up, eat, and so I could change into something more car-repair appropriate... a denim skirt, lighter top, and wedge shoes (shrugs... I don't own any jeans yet lol). After we went back to autozone and got the right plugs. And I must say they were totally cool down there. I was petrified of doing car maintenance en fem. But I didn't get one bad look or anything... from customers or staff alike. That's been a fear of mine, manly men acting rashly to someone like myself.

So finally... we got back to my car and replaced the plugs. Low and behold. No starting... looks like its indeed something along the lines of the fuel system :doh: We headed home and I now have the joy of getting my car towed tomorrow to a shop (thank you AAA).

As disappointing and stressful it has been for my car to break... the experience was priceless and put my confidence through the roof! :c9:

Pic of me after getting home and my face has melted for 7 hours:

AllThingsPretty
04-01-2010, 09:43 PM
You look great for a 7 hr face melting :D

It sounds like the perfect combination of fear and fun.

Sarah_K
04-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Wow, you look way too young to be a grandfather! and much too pretty to boot!

PretzelGirl
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I agree. I thought you were young 20's! That makes being a grandpa a little hard.

Now that sounds like a day where you experience the uncomfortable side of dressing. Good for you to make it through and with ease. Sorry about the car though. Maybe a little sacrifice will get it running? :evilbegon

Sophie_C
04-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Sorry you had a bad day, but I seriously thought you were in your early 20s, and you still looked great 7 hours later.

Know in this forum that I'm not someone who's heavy on complementing people, so you're doing something seriously right!

:thumbsup:

Angie G
04-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Even with the melted face you look good Katlyn.:hugs:
Angie
PS May be the fule pump hun.

Midnight Skye
04-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Thanks girls... but yup your eye's don't deceive I'm mid 20's. The whole grampa thing is complicated, but I do indeed have step-children one with a little girl hence my granddaughter. It was a totally mind blow when she was first born. But after a year I came around to the idea and it all works. My family is as weird as I am ;)

Faith_G
04-02-2010, 04:57 PM
It's like that old song "I'm My Own Grandpa." :heehee:

SherriePall
04-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Kaitlyn -- I think you might be running neck-to-neck with Loretta Lynn (the C&W singer) who was married young and was a grandmother around your age. BTW, judging by your pic here, you dress down better than some of us dress up. You look great after all that time.

carolinoakland
04-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Well done young lady. Honestly though you get to the point of... well this is how the other girls live.... just do it. I find that the more comfortable I became the more confident I became, and that's what people see the most. The confidence. Carol

Alice B
04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
As everyone has said. You look great after such a long day in the heat. Your story is great. I don't know what I would do in such a situation.

sherri52
04-02-2010, 07:32 PM
You look good for someone thats been melting for seven hours. I understand age differences though. Due to a second marriage I have 4 grandchildren older than my 2 youngest sons.

shaniquia
04-02-2010, 07:38 PM
you cant even tell you were stuck out for so long!

Soriya
04-02-2010, 07:40 PM
What a story, I mean sorry about the car but wow! Is it me or is the fear part of the excitement?

AmberLynn
04-02-2010, 08:15 PM
First off,you look great for 7+ hour's in this 80's weather we are having. second,I do know a little about car's :eek: shocker right hehe there is a good chance it could be the fuel pump but with the rapid rise in temp we had and depend on the amount of time since it has last been changed it could be the fuel filter either way lot's of luck sweetie.. and i know about agr difference im 29 and my wife is 51

lori m crawford
04-02-2010, 08:45 PM
i gess your son noes you dress that is good an you look greeat

Melinda G
04-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Wearing brown heels, with a black skirt, and red top, was your first mistake.:D