PDA

View Full Version : The More You Dress, The Less You Dress Up

windycissy
04-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I've been spending more and more time out and about as a woman, and I'm finding myself dressing more and more like a real woman. It's still a thrill to get dolled up in heels and stockings, but for trips to the mall, grocery store etc. you're totally out of place, and anyway I'm starting to enjoy the comforts of slacks, capris, even leggings under a dress, anyone else out there dressing down and enjoying it more?

Danielle Gee
04-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Cissy:

I've been doing exactly that for a couple of years. Usually a skirt or capris, anklet socks & keds, a T-shirt ( maybe a sweatshirt in the winter). Minimal make-up and a wig that needs little styling.

I usually only "dress-up" for a special occasion or when I want to take photos

Danielle

SandraAbsent
04-03-2010, 01:13 PM
I would agree, my goal is to eventually be passable, reality is is most women dont get all dolled up every day. My first couple of experiences dressing, it was all about looking a bit ****ty so to speak. Now I'm working on my clothes, makeup, hair and everything being every day normal girl. once I'll feel better about going out when i get it all down.

PortiaHoney
04-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Windy

I agree. I am spending more and more time in female atire and I am finding that comfort is becoming the key rather than anything else.

In addition, because I am finding more and more that I am "dressed", I am less likely to go all out on the makeup routine and settle for little or none. Of course i still like to get dressed up for special occasions, but for day to day life, I am getting quite like those "normal" girls out there.

At the moment I am still living "male" as in work etc, but most of my clothing is in fact womens wear, even most of my uniform. This is very soon to change.

Have funs girls

Portia

RADER
04-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I got in the mail yesterday a Romans Catalog. There was only top's and
slacks, and ankle tights on the first 22 pages. By that you can see that
the average GG douse not ware a skirt or dress that often. Check out the
Grocery store, Wall-Marts, etc, and you only see slacks, jean's etc.
I guess we are the only ones in skirts. :2c: Rader

Slim Jim
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
It's still a thrill to get dolled up in heels and stockings, but for trips to the mall, grocery store etc. you're totally out of place, and anyway I'm starting to enjoy the comforts of slacks, capris, even leggings under a dress, anyone else out there dressing down and enjoying it more?

thank you for stating a fact, that 99.9% of this forum will never understand

Nigella
04-03-2010, 01:38 PM
This thread brings a wry smile to my face. For how long has the TG community been "arguing" about GGs not looking fem enough?

Now at last we have some of the TG community recognising that you don't have to be "dolled up to the nines", a pair of slacks, T shirt and flatties are just as Fem as a LBD and heels.

I have been dressing as a GG since I went 24/7 and found it more comfortable to follow the GGs in their manner of dress, besides it was murder trying to clean the house in heels.

Yeah

AllieSF
04-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Good point Cissy. As you know I am a skirt and top person and enjoy looking good when out. However, to my surprise and maybe yours, I recently went out into San Francisco in a nice pair of dress slacks. That was a first for me and I really did enjoy it. I also plan on wearing jeans out during the day and maybe at night this year. The more I dress the more I evolve, try new looks and refine my styles. I do not get the opportunity to dress as often as you do, but can see myself following your path some as my opportunities to dress hopefully increase in the future.

minalost
04-03-2010, 01:53 PM
One thing my wife said to me recently is that I used to "over dress" for the way most women in our area dress. Now I focus on blending in more, so it's jeans and and T most of the time. Sigh... and I just love the feel of a skirt!
:hugs:

sissystephanie
04-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Cissy, I have been dressing "down" since my dear wife passed away 5 years ago. But I do it with a decided difference! I wear no makeup, other than maybe some light lipstick, and no wig. In other words, I am a man in womens clothing! My wife, who was an expert, always did my makeup when either I alone, or both of us went out. She also fixed my wig! I am not at all good doing either one, so just don't bother!

I am a man and know it, but I do love to wear womens clothing! So I do a great deal of the time!:)

5150 Girl
04-03-2010, 02:09 PM
While i agree that most GG's don't dress to the 9's just to run to the grocerie anymore, (insert a "casual friday has gotten out of hand" rant here) I do see women dressed to ALL degrees in the WalMart, or the mall or what have you.
Some people still have job that require one to look their best at all times, and they stop in at these place on their way home to pick up a few things... I have also see groups of freinds out for the day, dressed to try and out-do eachother.

Kimberly9310
04-03-2010, 02:14 PM
I dress as often as i can. Which I had the nerves to go out in public like u girls do.

SexiBobbi
04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I have only been dressing a short time. Maybe a month or so. But the last two days I have been thinking about doing more casual attire.
I found an old pair of pants that belong to my wife and they fit me. They are sweat style pants. But they do fit me a little tight. And look good on me.
Since I got my first bra the other day I figured that today after work I would wear those pants with a -shirt.
I am going to go to a local bar that is TG friendly for a drink.

Now I don't have a wig or makeup yet, so I thought I would look more natural than in my mini skirt and fishnets. I will try to get some pics

windycissy
04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
While i agree that most GG's don't dress to the 9's just to run to the grocerie anymore, (insert a "casual friday has gotten out of hand" rant here) I do see women dressed to ALL degrees in the WalMart, or the mall or what have you.
Some people still have job that require one to look their best at all times, and they stop in at these place on their way home to pick up a few things... I have also see groups of freinds out for the day, dressed to try and out-do eachother.

This is true, so when I feel like putting on something nice in the burbs I'll sometimes wait till 5:00 to do my errands in a career girl outfit...

Shelly Preston
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
You can still look your best and feel comfortable too

Wearing slacks makes no difference just dress right for the occasion

Jenny Aurora
04-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I have never really been dressed that much but I find already I would have to agree to :) Plus I think jeans suit me much better anyway and they are easy and comfortable so works out very well.

I found that the more uncomfortable i was with myself, the more I tried to push myself toward 'feminine' things instead of what felt more natural. A nice comfy top with my boot cut jeans and red converse.

Skirts with tights or leggings seems to be a very popular look around here, but I just don't think I could pull it off (not that I would of gone out anyway!). I guess at least I would not look like such a copied look though :heehee:

~Jen

Danielle76
04-03-2010, 03:03 PM
For me, unless I'm dolled up in heels, stockings, lingerie and the whole bit, it's defeating the purpose. It's definitely a hassle, getting that dressed up, that's probably why I don't do it nearly as much these days. Though dressing comfy would make all the sense in the world if it wasn't just a sexual thing for me.

windycissy
04-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Skirts with tights or leggings seems to be a very popular look around here, but I just don't think I could pull it off (not that I would of gone out anyway!). I guess at least I would not look like such a copied look though :heehee:

~Jen

It's a killer look like you said and very popular here too...you can blend into the crowd as just another girl with the fun of wearing a dress, I love it!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0dd10b3127ccef9eb32672b5000000030O08IatWLlw0aA9 vPgw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Frédérique
04-03-2010, 03:09 PM
anyone else out there dressing down and enjoying it more?

Hi, Cissy! I have to dress down for reasons of practicality, but I look like a wallflower by choice, so it’s not much of a reverse-stretch for me. I try to dress up as much as I can under the circumstances, but wearing a dress is a special treat reserved for dress-up nights (hence the name). :doh: I can’t drop a paintbrush on my nice skirt, so I wear an apron and carry on, looking much like Donna Reed or some other domestic icon. Anyway, I enjoy dressing down, since it is my “style.” :battingeyelashes:

StaceyJane
04-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I know the casual look is in but I love wearing skirts.

Jilmac
04-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah Cissy, Growing up with three older and two younger sisters I knew that you only dress to the nines for really special occasions, so when I go out I dress to blend in. I do have my special occasion dresses and wigs but certainly wouldn't wear them for everyday shopping, entertainment, or a trip to my favorite fast food joint. Dressing down for me, is a key to blending in/passing, and that's what makes being treated like a lady so enjoyable.

Rachel Morley
04-03-2010, 04:26 PM
This is true, so when I feel like putting on something nice in the burbs I'll sometimes wait till 5:00 to do my errands in a career girl outfit...
Great advice Cissy! I haven't tried this myself yet, but if I did want to go out to the mall in a kind of business or secretary look I would definitely do it between 4.00pm and 6.00pm on a weekday :)

As I've met you several times "in real life" I can attest to how easily you blend in and dress like a GG :)

Phyliss
04-03-2010, 05:18 PM
I guess the old comment about how to tell a CD in a mall is to look for a girl in a dress, really is true.

Was in Maurice's last week looking for a summer skirt for everyday wear, and I came up with a descriptive term I like, while trying to explain what I was after. I call it a "grocery getter skirt"

Flip flops, skirt and a "T" and out the door you go. short and quick, nothing special. Found a light cotton number with elastic waist band, length about to just below my knees. No amount of sparkles or design on it, simple.

But yeah, I know what you mean by, "the more you dress, the less you DRESS. Sounds like comfort and confidence have combined.

Sasha Anne Meadows
04-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Sounds like my life. My wife and I wear jean skirts and pretty flip flops around the house every day. It's comfy and still fem.

Jessy
04-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Actually, I always was more into casual daily life dressing. Sure, I love dressing up beautifully too, just not when I'm walking around doing things.

wetlook crossdresser
04-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I am what you would call a low maintenance crossdresser. I don't do wigs or makeup and I dress down out in public. I rarely wear a skirt or dress when I am out in the street. Those garments are reserved for the times I feel safe to do so at home or the local public pool that supports my fully clothed swims. Comfortable clothing is a priority to me so I don't go for constrictive garments or high narrow heeled shoes that are bad for my health. Both men and women wear slacks, jeans, t-shirts etc. When I'm out there my clothing is women's but the patterns are subtle even though the slacks might me a little roomy in the hips or the shirts with left side buttons. Thrift shop recycled clothing is my preference too. Dresses and tights are the best but it is all so much fun! Cheers!

Fab Karen
04-03-2010, 09:42 PM
While dressing down a bit to do daytime shopping is somewhat common, to each their own. Also this concept of "doing what GG's do" is silly, get 100 GG's together you potentially would find 100 different ways of doing things.
I live in a town where diversity isn't a four-letter-word, so you can see a variety of dressing by GG's in any place you go, and any time of day.
Do what you feel comfortable doing ( do I need to include using common sense? ).

windycissy
04-03-2010, 10:44 PM
While dressing down a bit to do daytime shopping is somewhat common, to each their own. Also this concept of "doing what GG's do" is silly, get 100 GG's together you potentially would find 100 different ways of doing things.
I live in a town where diversity isn't a four-letter-word, so you can see a variety of dressing by GG's in any place you go, and any time of day.
Do what you feel comfortable doing ( do I need to include using common sense? ).

Well put, in places like LA or San Francisco anything goes, but for those of us who have to make our way in the world in mainstream America, you blend to get by...although the thrill of dressing will always be there, I've come to appreciate the comfort and practicality of dressing like the real girls, they know what they're doing!

prene
04-04-2010, 05:48 AM
I started short skirts and big breasts.

Lately I have been going out in GG jeans, top and smaller breast forms.

t-girlxsophie
04-04-2010, 10:54 AM
I know am in a minority here and While I understand what everyone is saying,I have said myself that It seems only we wear skirts,but I love wearing skirts etc.

I dress not for other people I dress to feel nice.dont get me wrong I dont glam up to clean the toilet or do the hoovering but I wont run out in jeans and t-shirt just to keep others happy,let alone,as I have read on here go out without wig,make-up etc,now to me that just defeats the purpose and leaves you open to ridicule

Slim Jim
04-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Also this concept of "doing what GG's do" is silly.
Not if you want to blend in and hopefully pass in public, it's not.

Sweeterica
04-04-2010, 02:51 PM
I understand what you all say to,but i agree with Sophie to,wearing a skirt shouldnt draw attention unless its too fancy for the moment or you have heels on etc popping to grocers.Dress to suit the occasion thats the rule girls then all should be ok.

Missy Tanya
04-04-2010, 06:43 PM
I hear you girl!! Having only been out in public this last 15 months, I find that I rarely dress up sexy at home anymore. Only for special TG events. I found that for me, dressing to pass and fit in is more important than dressing up. Not that I don't wish I could dress up and go out to the movie's, dinner, or dancing with someone special. Just not in my cards as of now.

Before I found my way out of the closet, I could dress up special just for a few hours and be happy. Now if Tanya doesn't get to go out, she's not getting dressed. Now that's selfish I know, but what seems to be the normal for now.

But finding the courage, with the help and support of many of you, to venture outside has been a wonderful experience. One that I hope never looses that spark.

Tanya

DianeDeBris
04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi all -- a few years ago, if it didn't involve nylons and heels and full-glam makeup it didn't feel like it "counted" -- now, I am amazed (and delighted!) to realize that I am in total agreement with Cissy's observations -- it is so wonderful just to BE female, feminine, rather than simply to adorn myself with "emblems" -- don't get me wrong, I totally love getting *all* dolled up for an appropriate occasion, but of late I've been adding lots of tops and slacks and jeans to my wardrobe precisely for the purpose of NOT attracting notice, just fitting in -- I absolutely love it when I am out and about and DON'T get any looks (at least that I notice!) --
I'm not certain, and would be most grateful for your thoughts and insights, but it does seem to me that this change in myself reflects my growing comfort with this important but-not-all-encompassing aspect of my self and my life -- it feels more peaceful, much deeper, and definitely more real -- does this ring a bell with any/all of you?

windycissy
04-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm not certain, and would be most grateful for your thoughts and insights, but it does seem to me that this change in myself reflects my growing comfort with this important but-not-all-encompassing aspect of my self and my life -- it feels more peaceful, much deeper, and definitely more real -- does this ring a bell with any/all of you?

Totally! When I was younger, it was all about the buzz, but lately it's become much cozier, almost serene, to escape the bounds of masculinity into a softer, gentler world where I'm just one of the girls

Sheila
04-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Cissy, great thread :thumbsup:

I've come to appreciate the comfort and practicality of dressing like the real girls, they know what they're doing!
I think this just has to be sig quoted :D

erickka
04-05-2010, 06:11 AM
I know where you're coming from. I've morphed in that direction too. I do find it really comfortable to be really mainstream, and am really beginning to enjoy it more and more.

Fab Karen
04-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Not if you want to blend in and hopefully pass in public, it's not.
Don't quote my words out of context:
get 100 GG's together you potentially would find 100 different ways of doing things.
& the majority of us do not literally pass. We accept this & go anyway, having learned many people are accepting, or don't care.

Post #18 is an example of not thinking you "have to" wear pants to blend in.

Madilyn A.
04-05-2010, 09:48 AM
I still prefer to go all out with dresses, lingerie, make up to the max when I have the time. I believe we should try to be just a bit over dressed on all occassions.

deniseh
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I prefer casual, after working all day the last thing I want to do is come home and get dressed up. When I was younger I would, now I want to come home slip in a nice comfy lounger or nightie and chill.

jenna_woods
04-07-2010, 07:16 PM
i agree. i also have dressed down some but its so hard not to wear heals

victoriamwilliams1
04-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Being I am tall I dress my best and I have worn capris and pants out shopping:)

charlie
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Hello Cissy!
What you say is all true. However, I just love going out in my heels and skirt or dress. Without the makeup it is not as exciting either. So, as you said, it is necessary to dress fully only after 5. Fact of life.

Nicole Erin
04-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah, really I hate wearing skirts and I have never owned a dress.
Whether you are CD or TS, if you go out in public, you need to dress to blend in. Heck, even a GG would stand out if she went to the grocery in a fancy ball room outfit.

Jean shorts and tee, sandals, that is my daily garb.

See, with dressing to the 9's, you have to do everything to get the look going, and really it is a lot of work. At first it is fun but you get to the point of "heck with it"

Then of course there are the outfits for strictly home enjoyment, or maybe if you have a "date" for the night but day to day, be comfy.