PDA

View Full Version : The Shapeshifter Chronicles

Persephone
04-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Ah, life on the edge! Those of us who “shapeshift” have it a little weird sometimes. Take today for example.

My spouse suggested that we get up in time to go to the all-women exercise center that we belong to, so we set out clocks and did just that. “Girl mode” required, of course.

After our workout we headed for the pharmacy to see if we could get a prescription filled. My spouse, knowing that I probably hadn’t gone to the pharmacy en femme, said, “Do you want me to go in?”

I’d been thinking about it and felt that I really didn’t care, so I said, “What do you think?”

She said, “I don’t care one way or the other.”

So we decided that I would go to the pharmacy while she went to the store next door to pick up some items.

I was kinda hoping that since it was a weekend, the regular pharmacists would be off duty or something and that there would be a weekend pharmacist there, but no, there was the head pharmacist right at the counter.

I walked up and, with absolutely no look of shock nor surprise, she greeted me by my male name and started working on the prescription. If anything, she actually seemed a bit friendlier as we chatted a bit.

I wandered around the store while she filled the prescription and, after a few minutes, found my spouse, who, it turned out, had already picked up the medication. We gathered up a few more items and paid for those at the front checkout.

Then we were on our way to our regular hair appointments. I’ve been going to the salon en femme for over a year. Even though a few of the operators know me from “before,” I’m always warmly greeted, with everyone using my femme name.

Our son joined us at the salon for his haircut, which was done between our various processes. While I was under the dryer he came over and told us that he was going to head back home to get ready to go out with some friends.

As we were finishing up around 1:45, he texted me, “Does Persephone have guy clothes with her?”

I responded, “Nope.”

“Hmmmm, some friends are picking me up around 2. Can I just message you when we’re gone?”

“Yeah,” I replied, “But don’t forget – we’re hungry!”

He LOLed and wrote, “OK.”

My spouse decided that we could probably beat the clock, so the race was on!

“Odds your friends will actually be on time?” I texted, “Any way to check on their progress?”

“Unlikely they’ll be on time,” he wrote, “One just left to pick up the other and run a ‘quick’ errand.”

“We’ll beat them,” I sent back.

He indicated that was "OK."

When we were close to home, I texted him the name of the x-street.

He sent back a message that they were on their way but that they were a couple of miles behind us.

We arrived at home and I went into Supergirl’s phonebooth (where did she actually change anyway?) and emerged in “guy mode.”

“Hi Dad,” my son said, and a few moments later his friends arrived.

And how was your day?

AllieSF
04-04-2010, 02:37 AM
I love your story and your son's cool approach to his dad (Mom No. 2?). Why can't everyone else be as cool as he is? Thanks for sharing.

Di
04-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Very cool....thanks for sharing.:D

DonnaT
04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Cool son!

Didn't ruin your hairdo did you?

Persephone
04-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Cool son!

Didn't ruin your hairdo did you?

Thanks for the lovely comments, Allie, Di, Donna!

My hairdo survived, Donna! A brush here, a comb there, and it works!