PDA

View Full Version : "Dress as any gender you choose and dance the night away"

Sewing_Sophie
04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
I went to a science fiction convention over Easter, one of the events there was a disco. And in the programme entry for that disco - well, see the title of the thread.

I ended up not going to it; I got into an interesting conversation with some friends and a fellow crossdresser instead. Apparently those who poked their heads in didn't see a whole lot of crossdressing going on, but still, it's nice to feel welcome.

AllieSF
04-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Too bad that you didn't go in. Someone always has to be the first one on the dance floor. Why not you?

Jessy
04-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Sounds like a good opportunity, however I must admit in your situation I would have doubts. After all it's mainly the people that make you feel accepted or not, rather than the organization.

Sewing_Sophie
04-06-2010, 05:58 PM
I have no dancing instinct whatsoever, which I think killed my urge to dance. I had my nicest dress on for the conversation outside, I just found that talking and drinking beer was more fun than dancing! I'd spent most of the previous day in a skirt, too.

As for acceptance, well, given that another programme item was a discussion of "Alternative Sexualities in SF Literature and Media" (the description listed poly/gay/bi/trans as the range of things to talk about, there was at least one trans person speaking on that panel, and, well, if you read the right SF gender can get very complicated indeed), a few other programme items which displayed similar acceptance of alternative stuff, the fact that various friends of mine had re-assured me before the event, that people often like to dress up in all sorts of ways at SF conventions, etc., it all seemed very safe indeed.