PDA

View Full Version : What university girls think of crossdressers?

irenetancd
04-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Anyone care to

Rachel Morley
04-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Not quite sure what you mean by "university girls" but about 18 months ago our TG group the River City Gems (http://www.rivercitygems.org/index.html) did a presentation to a graduate class in Human Sexuality at a Sacramento area college. The students in the class were studying to become counselors or therapists and were looking to meet and hear real stories from real people in the transgender community. There were TS and CD members on our panel.

The students were mostly GGs but there were a couple of guys in there too and their professor was also a guy. They were all very nice people. Warm and welcoming and very interested in what we had to say. Even in the parking lot afterward there was a group of GGs from the class who were leaving at the same time, they smiled and waved at as as we were getting into our cars. Admittedly I've only had this one experience, but for me it was a positive one. :)

lee in a skirt
04-10-2010, 12:30 PM
University girls are the same as any other ggs some like the idea some are not fussed and some dont like it.

TxKimberly
04-10-2010, 01:17 PM
All I can tell you is that in all of the traveling I do, I found that the places most likely to be friendly to us are usualy located around Universities. It seems to me that someone going to a Universitiy should be more likely to accept diversity. The very fact that they are attending a University implies that they are at least reasonably intelligent and open to learning about their world. I would not think it likely that they would be an ignorant bigot.

Karren H
04-10-2010, 02:03 PM
University girls are the same as any other ggs some like the idea some are not fussed and some dont like it.

A very small few like the idea.... Most don't...

Marcie4you
04-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh, if were only a better world.....

Dixie
04-10-2010, 03:52 PM
The nearest college to me is in Grand Junction. The reactions of college aged girls in this area seem cover al the bases. Having said that, most of my own personal experiances have been positive.:daydreaming:

Hope
04-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Education generally exposes one to a variety of new ideas and experiences, and as a result, frequently leads to a more open minded, tolerant, and accepting view of the world. There are of course exceptions, but on the whole, the more well educated some one is, the more likely they are to be tolerant and welcoming of people who are not like them. That often includes gender variant folks.

linnea
04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
When my daughter gave me "Dadbutante," the guests were all graduate students, men and women. In that setting, everyone was very welcoming, positive, accepting, supportive--it couldn't have been better. That's admittedly a special case, but as I saw them throughout the several days that I stayed there, when I was en femme and drab, they were very nice (no snickering, smirking, eye-rolling, etc.). It was wonderful.

Frédérique
04-10-2010, 07:04 PM
What university girls think of crossdressers?

Never mind that – what do crossdressers think of university girls? :battingeyelashes:

It seems to me that someone going to a Universitiy should be more likely to accept diversity. The very fact that they are attending a University implies that they are at least reasonably intelligent and open to learning about their world. I would not think it likely that they would be an ignorant bigot.

Here in my town there is a small college, not the same as a university, but a place of higher learning. I agree -- I expect a certain level of tolerance, based on the intelligence and diversity therein, but… This college is run by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, so you hear and read a lot of religious words or phrases sprinkled among the “goals” set forth in accordance with their ongoing “mission.” I apologize for the quotes, but I can’t help but notice barricades placed in the path of truth, so I feel compelled to point out such discrepancies. I pray you see them, too…:eek:

However, to the rest of my ultra-conservative town, this college must seem like a bastion of liberal thought, a fortress to be circumvented at all costs. The town and the college are on different wavelengths, yet they need each other to survive. Coming from Massachusetts, I'm aware of what liberal thinking is, and I recognize true diversity when I see it. I just KNOW that the university girls in my little corner of the prairie would be unable to make it past the implanted intolerance in their minds and embrace the idea of crossdressing. The girls are girls, the boys are boys (usually wrestling with each other), and your mission in life is to be fruitful and multiply. Any idea to the contrary, any thought about going against one’s expected gender role in the community is going to be seen as perverted (or worse). But, since its Kansas, nobody will say anything, since that is also expected of you from day one…:sad:

Nicole Erin
04-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Of course I am in beauty school, and I have yet to have a bad reaction.
The women there just assume I am gay, and are suprised to find out otherwise.
Well, most of the other male students are gay, and in the beauty business, GLBT is no big deal.

Hope
04-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Here in my town there is a small college, not the same as a university, but a place of higher learning. I agree -- I expect a certain level of tolerance, based on the intelligence and diversity therein, but… This college is run by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, so you hear and read a lot of religious words or phrases sprinkled among the “goals” set forth in accordance with their ongoing “mission.” I apologize for the quotes, but I can’t help but notice barricades placed in the path of truth, so I feel compelled to point out such discrepancies. I pray you see them, too…

Before you break your arm patting yourself on the back for being so enlightened, coming from Massachusetts and therefore knowing what it really is to be a liberal and all, while simultaneously slandering the ELCA for being not liberal enough for you - simply because they are a church...

You should be aware that the ELCA voted this past summer to ordain openly gay pastors, and to perform same sex marriages, the presiding Bishop of the denomination has lobbied for the repeal of "don't ask don't tell," that the ELCA has ordained women for over 30 years, and is generally understood to be one of the most liberal of the mainline liberal churches. These folks you slander aren't fundamentalists by a long shot, and that is not Oral Roberts U. you live next to.

Part of being a "Real Liberal" (TM) is being informed about what you are talking about, before talking about it.

I get it, you don't like church, or religious people. That is your option I suppose. I just hope that there is nothing about you that some other folks might not like, or want to have to put up with. I can't help but point out such discrepancies, and I pray you see them, too…

I will bet you dollars to donuts that cross-dressers are welcome on ELCA college campuses, and I know that there is at least 1 girl here who openly attended an ELCA seminary cross-dressed.

Vickie_CDTV
04-11-2010, 02:12 AM
Anyone care to share what you know on this question?
For me, it was a pleasant experience. But I am not sure if university girls throughout the whole country (or even world) view and take CDs positively too.

It depends on what you mean by "think of."

If you mean are tolerant of crossdressers as people in general, I would imagine it depends on where they come from and their background.

If you mean that they might be more open to having a relationship with a crossdresser than women that are older, I doubt it.

For most girls that age, I tend to doubt that they ever even think about crossdressers and transvestism, unless they know a crossdresser or TS in their family or such. It probably never crosses their mind.

tamarav
04-11-2010, 04:54 AM
Both of them liked it..

Alexei
04-11-2010, 10:37 AM
I, like most (but not all) of the people on this board, am not a college-aged GG, so I can't tell you what they think. I can say what reactions I have gotten though. All last week I went to all of my classes dressed, excluding friends and people of the GLBT center, I only received one comment from a girl. She happened to be sitting next to me in class and she said "nice dress" with a smile.

I wasn't counting, but I would guess about seven or eight guys said something to me. Most were asking me why I was wearing a skirt or asking if I lost a bet, at least one said my skirt looked good, and I got only one reaction that was bad, and I'm not even 100% sure it was directed at me. I was walking past a bunch of frat guys at a picnic table, and I heard one say "that's a 1" and point in my general direction. He wasn't pointing directly at me though, so I'm only 99% sure he meant I was a 1 on the 10 point scale.

Besides that though, it was just stares and double-takes.

Keep in mind though that the country is a big place. That's 14+ million students and 5000 schools (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_education_in_the_United_States). You can't assume every school will have the same reaction.

lee in a skirt
04-12-2010, 04:00 AM
I go to university and even though I myself am not out to everyone I still have seen girls reactions to the subject. Like I said earlier they are just like normal gg reactions. It is true there will be some who are more open minded but this will probably be due to the individual degree that they are studying. I have heard people on buses talking about xdressing students and the comments were not all good. Plus some people on my course even said stuff like why does my house mate where a bra what a frieak.
My advice is get the taste of what they think before outing yourself.

saradow
04-14-2010, 05:55 PM
In my experience as a crossdresser at uni it is best to tell your best friend first, someone who you know will stick by you, so when you tell other people you have someone who you can rely on to support you emotionally if it goes wrong. My whole flat knows my secret now and luckily they are all okay with it, a couple even go shopping with me and they all don't mind me walking around the flat dressed, but before i told them i told my girlfriend, who thankfully understood and stuck by me, and is now my fiancee.