PDA

View Full Version : GRRRRRRRR body hair

Sherlyn
08-09-2004, 01:35 AM
Hiya
Just a question about body hair removal ..my legs i have shaved for years they are not a problem ..BUT my chest IS !! i just tried with nair and it was great for a couple days ..felt sooooo smooth..but here it is 3 days later and .. grrrrr ...its back...ALREADY.. i know it cant be stopped but can it be slowed down??
Sherlyn :eek:

~Tammy~
08-09-2004, 02:25 AM
I just recently shaved my chest too, first time for ages, and now, a few days later I now remember why I stopped shaving my legs!
Shaving as we all know just chops the hair above the folicle so they grow back, often thicker and stronger than before.
Nair litteraly burns the hair, so you can wipe/wash it off but again only above the folicle. This can also be very damaging to the skin as it not only burns the hair but can also burn the skin and if gets into the hair folicle can cause scaring.
I now only ever wax my legs and although it takes me a couple of hours the result is well worth it. With totally hair free skin for at least 2 weeks (results vary but from anwhere around 1 week to about 4 weeks), until new hair starts to form but then some of it doesnt grow even back at all, as the folicle looses its ability to create new hair. I have started getting some small patches on my legs where there is no hair growth at all now.
The one and only problem I have with this is the ingrowing hair but if you regulary check for tiny bumps (a good pair of slanted tweezers required) it's not a big problem. The pain also deminishes as the hair gets thinner each time you wax. I have actually come to enjoy the bit of pain I get with waxing because I know it will be worth it.
If you are thinking of trying waxing, I highly recommend having a professional waxing first so you can find out how it's done properley, before performing some DIY with 'off the shelf' wax strips.
I was wondering if anyone here has tried other devices such as epilators or electrolysis? I've seen basic basic electrolysis devices that don't use needles, but are these any good?

~Tammy~

Jocee
08-09-2004, 06:18 AM
One word -- Wax

Have it done professionally -- last longer, and the hair does eventually grow in thinner......

Teddie
08-09-2004, 06:42 AM
I also use an epilator, but on more than my legs. Chest, stomach, arms, shoulders, underarms, legs, and the wife does my back. The hair is much finer and thinner. I would try laser, but too many gray hairs :p

Something else I've started to try, is Aveeno Positively Smooth Moisturizing Lotion. And, it appears to be working on some body areas. First, a disclaimer, I am in no way connected with Aveeno. It appears to work best on my legs, chest, and back. My wife says it's surprising on how slow the hair on my back is growing back. But, also that it appears to come back a little, and then stop growing :confused:

I've also tried Aveeno and Corel on my face after shaving. The Aveeno seems to work better. I use to have my five o'clock shadow by three, and stubble by early evening. Now, it's hard to tell about the five o'clock shadow, too much gray. But, the stubble now appears late evening or sometimes not until the next morning, again :confused: But, I can apply makeup early in the day, and not have to worry about stubble until much later :D

Just my experience.

Marda
08-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi Sherlyn, Ladies

The *Hot* Scoops are ...
1) "Save your time & money - Pretend You're European" :-))
or
2) "Keep the hair - sell your wardrobe - get a Federal Grant & move to TukToYakTuk" :-((

OK OK OK ... but Tnx for making *Me* feel a whole lot better ... I used to be all bummed out that I didn't have body hair and wasn't a "man" ... now it's "YIPEE KyO KyAA" All The Way to the Cosmetics Counter :-))

Love / Marda

Sherlyn
08-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Hi Girls
thank you so much for the info ... waxing seems like the way to go for me ..but now the nerve to actually go to the salon... and the nair has caused little red spots this being the second day .. heh ....
Sherlyn

Marda
08-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey Sherlyn

No worries ... if "Arnold" the *GERM*_inator can do it ...
*YOU* *Can DO It* !!! :-))

(Just don't forget to take your bra off ... those estheticians can be *Brutal* with our "delicates" :-)

Love / Marda

Danielle1960
09-02-2004, 06:19 PM
I was surfing and found this hair removal product that if it is even close to what is advertised then I'm ready to use it. Here is the link. http://www.hairremovalplus.com/?aid=864150

I would be interested if you have tried this.

Danielle

Ava Mouse
09-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I was skeptical, but I tried KALO. Kalo is a hair inhibitor, and it has had an effect on some parts of my body, particularly around the ankles. As you know, hair has cycles and follicles turn on/off depending on other follicles. I don't quite understand that, BUT Kalo has taken away 1 cycle from parts of my legs. So, if I epilate everything, those parts take a month to grow back, while the others take a week or so.

So, if I had more money, I'd buy a bunch and soak in it as long as I could. The trick is to get this substance down the hair shaft after epilating/waxing. I suspect that broken hair, oils and swollen follicles prevent much of it from getting to the root. The deeper the root, the less likely Kalo will affect it, I think.

I'm also using a home electrolysis kit, the One Touch. This does work, but for me, leaves dark freckles for months afterwards. (Any suggestions on how to shorten this?) This, also, is a tricky thing to do. It takes patience, practice and skill. I often go sit out in my office and read/surf while I'm doing this. It takes about 2-3 minutes per hair and can sometimes be painful if it doesn't make good contact with the root.

It's not a needle, but a fine, stiff wire. This part doesn't hurt, but it takes a little manuvering to get it down the shaft to the root. Once there, you touch the metal band with a moist, salty finger and it sends electricity around. On a good hair, it just gets a little warm under the skin and the hair will slide right out by simply tugging on it, or if not positioned right, will burn like a hot needle! It can also leave deep scabs and even bruise.

Ideally, I'd like to get more Kalo and do my legs and arms, and whatever's left hit it with electrolysis. I've removed most of the hair on my inner thighs and have carved a nice bikini line in front. Unfortunately, I'd never be able to do my butt with electrolysis, so I'll just have to sit in Kalo for an hour or so...

Well, that's my experience... Can't guarantee anything, so you're on your own. Hope that helps!

Teddie
09-03-2004, 04:58 AM
I'll third that. Kalo, when used properly, does help.

Danielle1960
11-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Well I'll probably feel like I've been ripped off before it is over but I bought an Epllia laser hair removal from ebay new for $200. I checked it out last night and all seemed well. I'll let you know if I'm able to make any hair removal progress.
I hope it works!!! :)