PDA

View Full Version : Going out with a Handbag (Purse)

Lesley Ann
04-12-2010, 08:07 AM
The first time I went out dressed, I thought very little about carrying an handbag, or indeed what to put into it, I was more interested in what I looked like and whether I was passable, but I soon found out I felt awkward, did I carry the bag by it's handle, or in the crook of my arm, then when I needed something how to find it and keep my poise!
Since then, I have spent a considerble amount of time studying women using their handbadgs. What I did was to use my handbag at home, keep my every day effects in it, and I have now become comfortable going out with my handbag.
I was just wondering if any of you girls had the same problem, and if so, what did you do, so that you did not stand out like a sour thumb.
As always my best wishes to you all,
Lesley Ann xx

sissystephanie
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
I have been carrying a handbag for many years. Of course, before my wife passed away, I was Stephanie when I was carrying the handbag. Now that she is no longer around to fix my wig and do my makeup, I still go out dressed but with no wig or makeup. Just a guy dressed like a female and carrying a purse! Surprisingly, the only comments I usually get are compliments on my outfits!:)

mklinden2010
04-12-2010, 09:51 AM
If I'm out for dinner or a movie, I have no need to bring the kitchen sink...

Just ID and some cash, a credit card, a lipstick.

I do keep some "back up" stuff in the car, and maybe "stashed" in my clothes, but I rarely need anything beyond the ID and cash.

Purses, just the same, can be fun as an accessory to an outfit. And, I do prefer smaller to larger in that department...

wearingtanpantyhose
04-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I feel more feminine with a hand bag and I love rummaging through it looking for lipstick or my brush. I always carry an extra pair of hose in case I get a snag.

joank
04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't carry hand bag. But I have a bagpack. That is definitely not passable :p

Whenever I go out I carry a purse. I have many in different shapes and colors to coordinate the accesories. I carry alot of stuff cause it takes so much to hold the look; lip stick, compact, touch up make up, scent, lotion, wallet, cell phone, keys, check book, etc. Maybe I should carry a back pack.

Daintre
04-12-2010, 10:18 AM
It takes a lot of practice to make taking your purse with you an automatic thing. Done long enough it will become second nature and you would become lost without it.

Tranny Tee
04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
It's not a purse, it's a European shoulder bag.
It was a gift.

ellenwannabe
04-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I too spent a great deal of time studying how other women carry and use their handbags and what type they prefer and now always carry mine on my shoulder with quite a long strap on it and my hand on the bag - very very few women do not carry a handbag of some type - fun to watch other women and it makes me proud that I'm so particular how I present and act when out in public - Ellen

Laura Evans
04-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Have been carrying a purse for sometime, feels more feminine. I carry cash, credit cards, license, check book, small brush, small amt of makeup for touchups, and my cell phone. I usually have it on my shoulder with one hand on the strap but I occassionaly carry it hanging down with the shoulder strap in my hands and sometimes in the crook of my elbow.

Lexine
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't carry a purse around, but I do use a newsboy bag to carry all my makeup, camera (gotta have it all the time!), keys, wallet... you get the point! I've gotten used to using and bringing it after going out twice. Ideally, I do want a handbag (a Juicy Couture handbag would be a dream) but for now the newsboy bag suits my needs perfectly.

Ms Deidre
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
GG's learn abot purses at a young age and most feel naked without one. To them carrying a purse is as natural as smoothing your skirt when you sit down, keeping your knees together in a skirt, and other feminine things. To us it must be a learned characteristic. I feel naked without a purse now and wonder how I ever got by stuffing in my pockets. Find a purse that fits your needs and what you want to carry in it is the key. For everyday I prefer a purse with two compartments were I can keep my wallet and keys on one side and my make-up, brush, spare pair of pantyhose, and a few other things on the other. I also look for a place where my cell phone is handy. For evening I do downsize for ease and style.

It takes time girl but soon you will dread going in male drab and having to stuff your pockets and sit on your wallet. :)

RADER
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
I have been carrying a purse/handbag In drab for the last 3 years.
It's my wifes, she has to use a walker to get around, so I get the duty.
I guess I am getting practice for when the real time comes. LOL Rader

Nicole Erin
04-12-2010, 01:11 PM
funny as it seems, I feel akward carrying a purse/handbag/whatever.

Just more junk to lug around. I rather just crap my pockets.

sfwarbonnet
04-12-2010, 01:17 PM
RADER - Men carrying purses may come soon, as in a current Progressive ad. Some shoulder bags are ideal, such as a Buxton Bag

SherriePall
04-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Carry it any way you feel comfortable. I sometimes put it over my shoulder and sometimes I just carry it by the handles. Once in a while in the crook of my arm.
And not worry about looking graceful searching for something in it. I have seen GG's dump their purses in search of something.

Cassandra Lynn
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah when i get to the going out point, i'll be carrying a handbag/clutch etc, and i think it will help with the comfort factor, cause when i get nervous i need something in my hands. Also will be a handy place for the swiss army pocketknife.....wink, wink. :heehee: mj (Cassie)

Kerigirl2009
04-12-2010, 02:23 PM
:)I have been carrying a purse now for just under a year. Everyday as this is what I affectionately refer to as my man bag. All my stuff is always in the same place. I love it.

Now it is very rare for me to take it with me where ever I go but I always take it, but if I am running into the store for a pop or something I just pull out my wallet and I am on my way. But I have thought about bringing it to more places.

I dont remember the brand of my bag but I am comfortable as it looks a lot like the european hand bag, LOL. :)

kaleyg
04-12-2010, 02:41 PM
a purse is essential! a woman out without a purse is odd. most women's clothes have no pockets or very small ones that aren't intended to hold anything. unless you're out jogging or walking in the park during the day, i suppose, you need a purse! carry it however is comfortable.

Toni_Lynn
04-12-2010, 03:10 PM
I've been carrying a purse in all modes for years now. In boymode, I've gotten a lot of compliments about it -- like: finally guys are seeing how practical it is.

Contents -- wallet, brush, keys, passport, hair poni-tailers, mascara, :censor:-eds.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

dorylinn
04-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I carry a tool pouch at work and i think of it as a long handle purse:raisedeyebrow:

I also have a meter in a pouch that fits quite comfortably under my arm... like a strapless.:heehee:

I get lots of practice every day:daydreaming:

PhillyGuy2Girl
04-12-2010, 03:23 PM
When I went out today, I just put in my wallet,cash,car& house keys and lipstick and carry in on my shoulder like alot of GG's

I know this might sound odd, but I can't stand those so called "man purses". In guy mode, I could never carry one of those.

Felicity:)

victoriamwilliams1
04-12-2010, 03:25 PM
I carry one and for me I have found that I carry mine on the same side and when I switch sides it is different! However I have no real problems with mine and I think mine is a little too full!

christine55
04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't know how any of us could even consider going out and hoping to pass without a handbag. Why not just put a big "im a crossdresser" sign on instead?
Hugs, Christine

sherri52
04-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I use to carry my wifes bag in the store so I feel at home with one

JuliaKay
04-12-2010, 06:27 PM
I've carried a purse for several years while dressed "drab". Only one negative comment by a guy & his wife and mine shut him up. Since I retired, don't go out as much so haven't been using the shoulder bag. Wifey (who doesn't support my dressing asked me the other day why I wasn't using it as much lately (go figure!) Bobbie

jenna_woods
04-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I always carry a hand bag. and its full, make up, and all extra earings, pins for my hair comb, well you get the idea.

Lucypink
04-13-2010, 02:25 AM
When going out, the purse is a must, It is very bad looking to have anything on the pants that makes a bulge specially if they are strech and very snug.
So yes I always cary a Bag when in dress... now I am looking for a Purse or hand bag That I can use when Traveling that doesen't look to femenine, but makes me feel good, I hate my Back pack, it is not lady like at all.

t-girlxsophie
04-13-2010, 03:15 AM
I always feel something is missing if I dont have a Handbag with me,my missus has a multitude of them the only problem I have is which one of them to use :heehee:

RADER
04-13-2010, 04:41 AM
RADER - Men carrying purses may come soon, as in a current Progressive ad. Some shoulder bags are ideal, such as a Buxton Bag

In drab mode, I just have a fat wallet, some change and keys in my pocket.
My wifes purse, well there is enough stuff in their to build a house. :eek:
Rader

noeleena
04-13-2010, 05:06 AM
Hi..

38 years ago i used to carry my s o,s hand bag just to make sure we still had it , then Jos would only take a small purse . & if we went to different shops some time s she would leave it behind , after getting off down the road i would ask wheres your bag . ooops back we go to retrace our steps after a few shops we where given it back . so i was the bag carryer ,
Now i have mine a shoulder or back pack bag i have two both of leather plus other hand or cluch purses .
As a back pack bag its great as on many do.s our groups attend i have a front carry bag for my camara & spare camara & gear soi dont go any where with out them . well part of a camara girls life .
in my shoulder bag is check book some money & make up & if we have dejarn with us i carry things for her.
so would i be lost with out my bags, like being undressed , hey whats a womans hand bag for her life is in there , oh well thats being a woman .

...noeleena...

Jenny Doolittle
04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I found much the same issues Lesley, although when I started going out I had hardly anything in my purse. Now I can understand why ladies have such large purses, there are just so many things a girl needs, or might need. The fact that girls clothes don't allow for things in your pockets require a purse

I think also the way you carry a bag is interesting, I usually have a should strap and keep it securely under my arm as well to prevent that oppertunity for a purse snatcher.

Simply_Vanessa
04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I like carrying a bag in the crease of my elbow :) Some hints that I know of at least: are to kind of keep the shoulder attached to the hip, and let your wrist hang loose with thumbs pointing away from the body.

But above all, when you got out make sure you have CONFIDENCE :heehee:

tricia_uktv
04-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Handbags. I love them to death. Read 'Handbags and gladrags on my blog'. Its simply like everything else. Practice, practice, practice.