PDA

View Full Version : Degrees, Diplomas and other awards

Penelope Marie
04-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I was wondering the other day about this. once someone has fully transisioned into the gender of choice does Diplomas, degrees and other awards still count and are they still valid after transition? If one has transitisioned and their degrees, diplomas and other awards still hold thier previous name of the previous gender how does that work?
Thank you for any insight you may be able to share.:doh:

Katesback
04-13-2010, 03:08 PM
After I changed my name I sent the court order name change to my colleges. They sent me new transcripts with the new name on it. I did not get new diplomas.

If I recall the transcripts are the most important thing to verify your college history.

Ze
04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
This is an excellent question. I await the answers of people who have been there.

Kate: That's a shame, knowing that you spent X amount of money on a piece of paper you probably won't want to be showing anybody anymore. Another example of the little things other people take for granted...

Penelope Marie
04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Katesback

I do believe you are correct on that matter. Transcripts are the thing that matters. ZE that's so true. imagine that piece of paper framed and hanging on a wall in your office or home with a different name.

Kaitlyn Michele
04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Kate is correct.

ze: i don't think its out of the question to get a new diploma..in fact, this thread is gonna get me to call and ask..

I am in the process of calling my college and schools, and my OLD EMPLOYERS!! ....they do background checks..you want your new name showing up...same thing for credit cards, bank accounts, brokerage accounts, loans, title to your car, your social security number, prescription drug benefits (i just spent 45 minutes in CVS trying to get my spiro..."maam , is this your husbands name??" LOL..)

the thing to remember is its no problem...you'll have a court order...in nj you can get extra copies for $5...you are basically doing nothing more interesting than a woman that takes her husbands name...everything in your old name still counts, but it will be a heckuvalot easier to get your updated name on everything you can...some have said the hardest to change is your birth certificate...

Ze
04-13-2010, 08:55 PM
ze: i don't think its out of the question to get a new diploma..in fact, this thread is gonna get me to call and ask..

Cool! Be sure to report back to us. :)

Zenith
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah but the problem is if you have a scientific publication history...can't change that...but need them for your CV...so no deep stealth for me...:cry:

Ze
04-13-2010, 09:00 PM
That really sucks, big sis. :hugs: But see? This is what you get for being smart. Lesson learned. ;)

Zenith
04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Aaaaaaaa...hahahaha lil' bro' at least the Nobel Prize will be in the correct name...

Dr. Julie the Squirrel

>:")

Kaitlyn Michele
04-13-2010, 10:53 PM
that does sound unfortunate about published work...:straightface:

no deep stealth for me i have kids and i'm still living in my house...but i still want my name changed wherever possible.

pamela_a
04-13-2010, 11:30 PM
When I got my name change I contacted the schools I attended, sent them a copy of the court order and requested they change my transcripts; which they did with no problem. The degree they couldn't do (mostly due to the age of it). No deep stealth for me either. All of my professional contacts now know me as Pamela but that's ok. At least I don't have to go through re-establishing my credentials that way.

Saika
04-14-2010, 02:25 AM
I would be very annoyed if I could not have my new name put on my degree, I put myself in enough debt getting it that it would be rather moronic to not let me have Amy on the damn thing.

wanders away to find out...

Ashley S
04-14-2010, 05:06 AM
The college I graduated from actually misspelled my name on my second diploma, but nailed it on the first one, and I was told that they'll reprint diplomas for $25. I don't know if it's the same everywhere, and I assume that if it's many years later, it may not be possible, but that's what I heard anyway.

Penelope Marie
04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
I would be very annoyed if I could not have my new name put on my degree, I put myself in enough debt getting it that it would be rather moronic to not let me have Amy on the damn thing.

wanders away to find out...

I agree 100%

Hope
04-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Most (all?) schools will replace a lost or stolen diploma, or re-print one with a name change. I even know people who have multiple copies of their diploma... The weirdest one I have heard about was from a friend of mine. 30 or so years ago seminaries started issuing masters degrees instead of bachelors (meaning 8 years of college for clergy instead of 4 - yippie!). Well it so happened that my friend's husband went to seminary when bachelors degrees were being granted, and earned his degree and went out into the word to serve. A number of years later his diploma was destroyed in a house fire. In the intervening years the transition to masters had taken place, and so when he requested a replacement diploma - they sent him one, for a masters.

CharleneT
04-14-2010, 09:27 PM
It varies .... one of my schools would change the name on the transcript, the other said "Under no circumstances will we change the name of a person's transcript..."

YMMV

Penelope Marie
04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
It varies .... one of my schools would change the name on the transcript, the other said "Under no circumstances will we change the name of a person's transcript..."

YMMV

So does that mean all that education was in vain?:eek:

Ze
04-17-2010, 08:21 PM
So does that mean all that education was in vain?:eek:

Not necessarily in vain, but it'll be a big out every time it's needed. :sad:

Edit: I've just sent an inquiry over to my own college, seeing as I'm graduating in two weeks and won't get my name legally changed until later in the year.

Stephenie S
04-17-2010, 08:45 PM
My college changed my records with a phone call. Try.

Ze
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Just heard back from my own college. In the hypothetical sense, they'll change the name, as long as you give them a $75 fee, a notarized application form, a notarized copy of the name court order, and the original diploma.

And also, I'm assuming, your first-born son.

But I'm quite surprised they do it at all, seeing as how much they suck. I actually wonder if I'll bother with all this after I've graduated since I'm not particularly proud of my diploma from them anyway. I mean, if I didn't plan to show it off anyway...

Maybe I'll change my mind in the future; good to know I can do it, at least.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)