PDA

View Full Version : Is Makeup Addictive . . .

Kathi Lake
04-15-2010, 06:41 PM
. . . or am I just stupid?

A week ago, I flew dressed as a guy, but wore makeup (tasteful, but makeup nonetheless). Lately, I find myself doing it more often.

I use lip gloss throughout the day - just a bit at work, but in the car? I layer it on - especially at stoplights (I love the doubletakes from the cars next to me as I apply it in the aptly-nmed vanity mirror! :)).

A few days ago, I made a trip to the grocery store. My wife was in her basement lair, working on yet another research grant (translation - she's occupied - very occupied). I decided that a bit of eyeshadow and a coat of mascara wouldn't hurt. That and my ladies wedding set (which they've seen numerous times) and I was ready to be the one they scratched their heads and talked about! :)

Today, I was a "room mom" at my daughter's field trip. My kids school is a local private school next to an Air Force base. So, it seems that any self-respecting pilot's wife just has to send their little muffins there, or risk social ridicule, so I was surrounded by beautiful women. Now, if you haven't seen a pilot's wife, let me explain one to you. I'm sure you've heard about astronaut's wives - those mythical creatures that are beautiful, intelligent, sophisticated, charming - essentially, it seems that they're manufactured, rather than born. Well, a pilot's wife is just one step below that. All of the other women I was around all day were gorgeous, witty, charming, and pumped full of silicone. I don't think these women would know an A cup if it hit them in their perfect face.

Anyway, I digress (as always). I decided that if they could be pretty room moms, by golly, so could I! I shaved closely and did my eyes in very muted tones of browns and golds. One coat of brown/black mascara, a touch of Chapstick (cherry - it's darker and glistens the best of them all), and I was ready. I didn't receive any compliments, or strange glances (to my knowledge, anyway) but I thought my eyes popped and looked very pretty!

Now, I am going to my Mac User's Group. I went a little heavier on the eye makeup as we usually keep it dark for the demos. They're a bunch of geek guys anyway, so probably won't even notice.

So, am I addicted to makeup or adrenaline?

:)

Kathi

Wen4cd
04-15-2010, 07:39 PM
I, for one, very much dig makeup, lolz.

Staci G
04-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I love makeup too. Not just having it on but putting it on I enjoy the painting and polishing we do to look our best. I like a little eyeliner and mascara just to keep 'em guessing.

Barbara Dugan
04-15-2010, 08:03 PM
to be honest sometimes I don't like make up very much ...if had the opportunity to get get rid of the beard shadow I would wear little or no make up

Cassandra Lynn
04-15-2010, 08:12 PM
"We admitted we were powerless over ____, and that are lives had become unmanageable"
Insert what ever you want in the blank, in your example it would be wearing make-up. I own and continue to buy more panties then i need and actually wear! I once started a 12 steps for CDing just for fun, but after the 3rd step it gets a little too serious to have fun with. :thumbsup: mj (Cassie) :thumbsup:
p.s. all in good fun, i'm not suggesting any of us need to work the steps because of dressing.

dilane
I like makeup, but I'm definitely not a half-in/half-out type. I'm either full femme or t-shirt & jeans boy mode. I like keeping the two sides of myself separate to the public, and try to blend in whichever mode I'm presenting :)

Karren H
I'm not really qualified to judge wheather you are or aren't.... ... All I know is I have 5 life times worth of makeup and I found myself digging through the discount bin at CVS tonight looking at eye shadows!! Moderating a makeup forum, I live and breath and talk makeup most of my waking hours... I read makeup magazines and browse makeup company web sites.... I window shop for makeup and love going to Ulta to test things.. Makeup is my life.. And hockey... Hockey and makeup are my life..

pamela_a
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Bed Head eye shadow.... I don't leave home without it. (or foundation, eye liner, and mascara)

renee k
04-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Well, Kathi,

I'm addicted to makeup too, but only when I'm enfemme. I'm a pilot by trade, and wearing any amount of makeup on the job would raise some eyebrows from my peers. Just ask Jenny J. So I can't get away with what you did. I need my job to support my habits, ie; MAC, Macy's and VS. So I tone it down, and tow the line in male mode.

Renee

t-girlxsophie
04-16-2010, 01:15 AM
I too love makeup so much,but as some have stated only in femme mode,Putting it on is just completing the desired look making you feel complete

But having said that I would never diss anyone who wears it in other circumstances.If Kathi wishes to wear It like she does,who are we to say she shouldn't.If it works for her YOU GO GIRL!

I am wondering though since i have been on this site,there is some things I read such as ppl going out all dressed up but with no wig or makeup etc,or with goatee beards in full girly mode,both those things, I just dont get and they seem to all be from the States,Now am not having a dig at our american sisters (I luv ya all),:hugs:but is there some reason this habit doesn't really cross the Pond?

VeronicaMoonlit
04-16-2010, 01:55 AM
. . . or am I just stupid?

A week ago, I flew dressed as a guy, but wore makeup (tasteful, but makeup nonetheless). Lately, I find myself doing it more often.

I know the feeling. You want to do it more, but feel you can't so you "act out" a little in rebellion against the "rules". I've done it most certainly. Is it a good thing? Maybe yes, maybe not, but it is a sign that you don't like the rules and restrictions in regards to "This Thing of Ours"

Now, I am going to my Mac User's Group. I went a little heavier on the eye makeup as we usually keep it dark for the demos. They're a bunch of geek guys anyway, so probably won't even notice.

<joke>They're MAC users, appearances matter to them. It's not like they're Linux users....oh wait...I'm a Linux user!</joke>

Both! Neither! Either.

Persephone
04-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Today, I was a "room mom" at my daughter's field trip. My kids school is a local private school next to an Air Force base.
Anyway, I digress (as always). I decided that if they could be pretty room moms, by golly, so could I! I shaved closely and did my eyes in very muted tones of browns and golds. One coat of brown/black mascara, a touch of Chapstick (cherry - it's darker and glistens the best of them all), and I was ready.

That's a hard trip to deal with, Kathi. I know, 'cause I also lived it for 12 years as part of a "rat pack" of upscale mom's at my son's private schools.

First and foremost, I never, ever would want to do anything that would compromise my son or cause him any embarrassment.

On the other hand, the constant estrogen bath was causing my hand to jerk upward like Dr. Strangelove's, only mine would have a mascara wand aimed for my eyelashes.

Kinda like what you're doing, I found subtle shades of eye shadow to go along with just enough mascara to cause my eyes to "pop" without being apparent. It really made me feel better about my appearance. (One caveat though, I do wear glasses, something that could mute my makeup "just enough" to make it work for the effect I was after).

You're part of a Mac user group? I thought you were an Ulta girl and didn't think they carried Mac.

And if you're calling Mac girls "geek guys," then yeah, those pert little pilot's wives are definitely overdoing their makeup.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Sally24
04-16-2010, 05:08 AM
I understand it a little. When I look at myself in the mirror now(in boy mode), my eyes look a little strange. They only seem "right" when they have eyeliner and shadow on them. I too don't mix and match. I'm either in boy mode or full girl mode. I've been programmed with society's gender binary too well!

SherriePall
04-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Kathi -- While I can definitely empathize with you, I think you should take it easy on the make-up while drab. Especially in your own backyard, so to speak.

Joanne f
04-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Not so sure that it is addictive but more in the realm of once you realise that you can get away with wearing it you just like to wear it more.

jenna_woods
04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree I like make up and wear it often,

charlie
04-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Hello Kathi!
It seems to me that you are engaging in some great genderbending. Kathi and her male self are certainly blending into one. A very healthy transition. You are now just you....dressed male or female!

carhill2mn
04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't think that it is the makeup per se that is addictive.

kristinacd55
04-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Wow, that's awesome. I did some makeup the other day & my wife said when she came home, "do you have eyeliner on?", so maybe I'm paranoid but I had to make sure that my eyeliner was off b4 I went out again. How silly!

sherri52
04-16-2010, 04:50 PM
I think with what you wear you are heading toward 24/7. I use Mascara and light nail polish along with wearing fem jeans and I have to question myself even though I don't have plans to do so.

Christie ann
04-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Is makeup addicting? Without a doubt

Kathi Lake
04-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I think with what you wear you are heading toward 24/7.Sherri, you aren't the first that has made that observation, but I will continue to deny that until my dying breath. :)

However, much of that denial is due to how I feel about me. I have never felt that there is a "girl" me or a "boy" me. There's just me. How I present that to the world is something that I have been experimenting with for quite awhile.

Kathi

victoriamwilliams1
04-16-2010, 06:40 PM
I know that when I dress even for a hour I have to have mine:) now I never done make up endrab, my bosses would notice.

Jenny J
04-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, Kathi,

I'm addicted to makeup too, but only when I'm enfemme. I'm a pilot by trade, and wearing any amount of makeup on the job would raise some eyebrows from my peers. Just ask Jenny J. So I can't get away with what you did. I need my job to support my habits, ie; MAC, Macy's and VS. So I tone it down, and tow the line in male mode.

Renee

Yep, makeup is great but strictly verboten on the job. I have a serious wardrobe habit to support so I can't mess that up. I'd rather just do it when en femme and do it well.

Jen

:rose2:

Jessica Kelly
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
The more I practice with the more I feel like using the next time! It's scary!

AKAMichelle
04-19-2010, 01:53 PM
I think it more of a perception issue. After awhile you feel like you aren't completely dressed unless you have makeup on. I think that must be the way GG's feel about makeup,

Katesback
04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
OMG someone hit my weak spot. I love makeup!! I really do not have many artistic outlets except for makeup! I love MAC! Funny thing is I did not care about makeup much till a year after SRS. Now days I am quite good at makeup and fairly often do other peoples makeup for them. I like to say that if I ever change careers I will go to doing makeup!

Katie

MAC MAkeup rocks!

Kathi Lake
04-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, one of my problems is that every Thursday is "New Product Day" at my Ulta salon. That's the day that I always drop by to shoot the breeze with the girls there, and see what's new in the world of makeup. From gorgeous new shadows by Urban Decay (Stardust - not very buildable, but soooo pretty and sparkly!) to new liners and mascara by Bare Escentuals to new perfumes, there's just too much pretty stuff! I go in to look and chat, stop to play and try stuff on, and end up buying.

Kathi

StarrOfDelite
04-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Couldn't survive psychologically without my makeup and my wigs. They are far more essential to my feeling of femininity than the clothing. If I could walk around in my makeup and wig but had to wear man's clothing that would be more preferable than having a hundred thousand dollar wardrobe of frillies and fine dresses and being denied my makeup.

Prissy Linda
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I absolutely love makeup, it is the most fun part of dressing for me. Doesn't matter if i'm wearing a beautiful dress or girly jeans and a nice top I don't feel complete without my makeup on.

Many times i'll be dressed in drab but will put on foundation, light powder and lipgloss, Other times I wear more makeup and a lipstick. If someone notices, so what. Will they think i'm gay? probably so but gay seems to be more acceptable than crossdressing.

Kathi Lake
04-19-2010, 05:22 PM
. . . but gay seems to be more acceptable than crossdressing.Very good point!

Kathi

StarrOfDelite
04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I absolutely love makeup, it is the most fun part of dressing for me. Doesn't matter if i'm wearing a beautiful dress or girly jeans and a nice top I don't feel complete without my makeup on.

Many times i'll be dressed in drab but will put on foundation, light powder and lipgloss, Other times I wear more makeup and a lipstick. If someone notices, so what. Will they think i'm gay? probably so but gay seems to be more acceptable than crossdressing.

The Laramie Project notwithstanding, don't they kill people in Wyoming for being gay? It makes every part of me shiver to think what they might do to a 'tranny.'

Prissy Linda
04-19-2010, 06:32 PM
The Laramie Project notwithstanding, don't they kill people in Wyoming for being gay? It makes every part of me shiver to think what they might do to a 'tranny.'

Yes Wyoming does have a reputation (Dick Cheney country)of not being open minded but believe it or not there are gay and transgendered people who are out of the closet, some who are very open. The Mathew Sheppard incident was indeed well publicized and rightfully so, people who have lived here for any length of time were not all that surprised that it happened although it was still a shock to us as for most of the nation. Violence to gay or transgendered people can happen anywhere or at anytime. I would have to say that appearing out in public wearing makeup in Wyoming may not be a good idea, neither is being a Democrat.

Sara Jessica
04-20-2010, 06:26 AM
I've been struggling with this thread since I first read it a few days ago. Reason is that I'm a believer in tthe compounding effect of the markers we give off. The presentation with some makeup in guy mode, whether in and of itself or on top of some other presentation factors (ie-smooth legs, plucked brows, etc) is one of those things that'll make that elephant in the room start singing show tunes!!!

I really like Veronica's first point as to the reason "why". But it's Sherrie who seems to sum it up best for me...

Kathi -- While I can definitely empathize with you, I think you should take it easy on the make-up while drab. Especially in your own backyard, so to speak.

Like I'm one to talk though (pot, meet kettle)...smooth legs, some noticable shaping of the brows, nails that right now are a good two weeks beyond critical mass and wearing perfume daily. Any more from me and there might be no way to shut up that elephant!

Katesback
04-20-2010, 07:10 AM
The reality in society today is that nearly everyone (includeing me) sees male or female. They do not see a third gender. While I applause anyone willing to push the limit I also believe they do so at thier own risk.

I agree with what was posted. IT is easier to be male or female but a hodge podge of both is going to be a challenge.

KAtie

Abbyru1
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes living in Wyoming takes some getting used to. Where I live,there are plenty of gay
people and crossdressers. We've even had a couple of gay pride events. Still, one has to be careful of how much make-up gets put on and where it is worn. Having said that, I wear it when I can think I can get away with it. Seems there are more and more CDr s
appearing in places here and many wear visible make-up.

Mea GG
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
. I decided that a bit of eyeshadow and a coat of mascara wouldn't hurt. That and my ladies wedding set (which they've seen numerous times) and I was ready to be the one they scratched their heads and talked about! :)

... if they could be pretty room moms, by golly, so could I!

...didn't receive any compliments, or strange glances (to my knowledge, anyway) but I thought my eyes popped and looked very pretty!

... bunch of geek guys anyway, so probably won't even notice.

Kathi

hey Kathi,

well, my impression when I read your initial question, was you just thought it made you look more attractive. As I read the other responses I did not really change that opinion.

Then I came back to the original post to quote the parts that back up my opinion...when lo and behold, I'm afraid I have to change my mind (that is by the way, a privilege accorded all ladies, whether or not they have certain parts!).

It seems to be that mainly--wanting to look nice, but also has the emotional aspect of being seen. I kind of now have the impression you want to look as pretty as you can without getting "caught"....and that does kinda have a thrill, riding on the edge of that.

The only negative at all I see is it seems you were much more daring when your SO was otherwise occupied... and that could be a red flag.

I think it more of a perception issue. After awhile you feel like you aren't completely dressed unless you have makeup on. I think that must be the way GG's feel about makeup,

Many GGs are like that. My sister in law used to raise horses, and she wouldn't even go to the barn for early morning feeding without putting on her make-up. When I questioned if the horses cared (I rarely wear make-up, lol), she gave me one of those looks that tell you you are going to shut up right this minute. So i did.

Eve_WA
04-20-2010, 12:51 PM
in a word.... YES!

Your doomed! DOOMED I tell you!!!

your in good company!

Eve

Kathi Lake
04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Mea, thanks for your reply - and your feminine perspective - which is always lacking where we're concerned. :)

Although it is true that there is an element of thrill or adrenaline rush to weating makeup in what is sometimes referred to as "drab mode," the main reason I wear it occasionally (rarely) is that I think I look better. Makeup accentuates the positive aspects. I have been told that I have pretty eyes - in guy or girl mode - and with makeup, they just look better. Is it noticeable that I'm wearing makeup at times? Yes, to some, which is why I do it when I'm not near those that would normally know me, like work or church. Yes, there is always the aspect that I do this when my wife wouldn't see me. In deference to her and her wishes, that is just the way it is. She doesn't want to see me in it, and I don't want to cause her undue pain. So, like I said, here we are.

Your story about your sister reminded me of when my wife and I were dating. We canoed from Utah all the way up to Wyoming. We were in the middle of nowhere. I woke up a little late the next morning and stepped outside the tent. My wife (girlfriend then) was putting on makeup!

Kathi

Mea GG
04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Hey Kathi,

that cracks me up at campgrounds...the number of women crowded around the mirrors with their makeup and hair dryers. Now, I'm very low maintenance myself. Aside from preferring dresses, I'm not very girly myself. But the way men stop shaving when they go camping or fishing, I'd think women would want a break too. :)

So, you see, there is no single female perspective....:heehee::heehee:

That's cool you are enjoying your make-up according to agreement. I just worried a little for your sake it was one of those, "I promised not to, but..."
which get people in so much trouble. :D

Kathi Lake
04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
I know. It was so funny! I tried so hard not to laugh. She was trying so hard to impress me too. The funniest part - when she asked where the bathrooms were. You should have seen her face when I pulled the shovel out of my pack and said "Follow me." :)

She is very girly. She wears skirts and dresses mostly - with pantyhose, even! When we were dating, people asked me if she ever got dirty and wondered why she wore pearls with sweats. :)

My wife is pretty hands-off on my dressing. She understands the need, but not the why. The wonderful woman is trying, though. I know her main concerns are not for her and her feelings, but for me and how I'll be seen if I am caught. At this stage in our life, she doesn't want to see me dressed or even know about it. Her only request is to stay away from our home town and I have honored that.

Kathi

Lexine
04-20-2010, 04:32 PM
When I took photos of my outfit last night (shameless plug), I couldn't put any makeup on because I was so paranoid that my pink eye would get all over my makeup and reinfect my eyes again. So I had to take the photos without makeup.

I felt naked without it, almost to the point of feeling that it's wrong to be in girl mode and have no makeup on.

MargaretJ
04-21-2010, 04:46 AM
I love putting on make up. I will get en femme without make up in the house, but I always get made up to go out. There is a satisfaction in being able to present an image of how I feel about myself, that just isn't there when I'm in drab mode. There is also the smell of it that I find very pleasing.

Audrey34
04-21-2010, 06:04 PM
To be honest, I'm still kind of afraid of make-up. In my CD group our treasurer is a Mary Kay rep. She did the first make-over I EVER had and I had to admit I looked pretty decent. I felt wonderful and even got a few compliments from some of the other members. I'm worried that i won't be able to apply make-up correctly without help. At the meetings I sometimes use foundation and a bit of lipstick but not any eyeshadow or mascara. I'm afraid I'll mess up and look like a raccoon!

I also worry about leaving tell tale signs of any make-up once I've changed and gone drab again. I don't know what I would do if I left any eye shadow or traces of lipstick and it was noticed by a co-worker or a relative.

SIGH... I'm such a wuss when it comes to make-up.

-Audrey

RockerTerri
04-21-2010, 10:07 PM
I have been compared to a raccoon. I suppose that places my checkmark in the "I am for makeup" column?

Emma73
04-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Hi all, I luv to put on make up any time i can, lippy in the car while driving & some mornings i will but some foundation and powder just a little bit makes me feel a little more girlie for the day.

Luv Emma. :)

mapletree
04-22-2010, 12:10 AM
yea ut tastred good or great

Kathi Lake
04-22-2010, 12:56 AM
To be honest, I'm still kind of afraid of make-up. ... I'm such a wuss when it comes to make-up.

-AudreyAudrey, that's the fun of makeup. It's not permanent. Play! Experiment! Learn! Have fun with it! When you're done, wash it off. There are some great products for removing it that will leave no trace. I use makeup remover towelettes and a separate eye makeup remover. I feel so good about them both that I have gone directly to Wednesday evening service after removing my makeup in the car after a day of shopping.

yea ut tastred good or greatUmmmmm, . . .

Can you be a little clearer? :)

Kathi

BonnieJG
04-22-2010, 10:03 AM
I love buting makeup I love doing my eyes , but I'm need more practice.

Audrey34
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Audrey, that's the fun of makeup. It's not permanent. Play! Experiment! Learn! Have fun with it! When you're done, wash it off.

Thanks for the advice Kathi. I definitely want to keep trying. I just keep worrying that I'll walk into my group meeting one weekend and I'll have the wrong color eyeshadow and lipstick combo on. And getting weird looks from my group sisters.
-Audrey

Kathi Lake
04-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the advice Kathi. I definitely want to keep trying. I just keep worrying that I'll walk into my group meeting one weekend and I'll have the wrong color eyeshadow and lipstick combo on. And getting weird looks from my group sisters.
-AudreyAudrey,

Don't worry, your sisters are your sisters. We don't laugh at our own. Keep playing and have fun in life.

Kathi

joan47
04-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Iwear Olay mositerier/light foudation, use pencil on my thin arched waxed eyebrows, eye shadow, mascarra, lip glosw, rouge, and perfume, everyday ( I am self employed) with my low rise junior jeans and girly tops..

SuzanneBender
04-23-2010, 08:37 AM
OMG Kathi how did I miss this post! Well we know the answer to that but ohh well.

I think it is both. I love. No strike that ADORE makeup. I remember the first time I ever played with makeup. It was for a junior high play. The smell, the texture, the look. I should have been a makeup artist!

Its also the adrenaline. Having the little reminders about what lays deep down in the heart of our special souls outwardly expressed is a wonderous feeling. Pushing the envelop makes it even more fun. You can't have careers like ours without the desire and need for and adrenaline pump every now and then. We just don't have to throw ourselves out of a perfectly good aircraft to get that rush. All it takes is a little lip gloss and some transparent nail color.

KellyLeech
04-23-2010, 12:50 PM
when im not in makeup, its all i think about. especially seeing girls wearing it; envy.

Jannette H
04-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Well yes Maybe I got to the point I was using foundation to smooth out areas on my face before I went to work and nobody really noticed at all. It was sitting there on the vanity by the sink so I used some. SO didn't see it happen and never noticed. It must be addictive we're always buying it.:o

scherylnmke
04-23-2010, 04:16 PM
....Ulta wants to give you a job!
....your MAC SA thanks you for putting the kids through college!
....you have more make-up than clothes!
....If you have Ulta,Sephora,MAC,Mary Kay on speed dial, On ALL phones!
....Feel free to add more

StephanieC
04-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Yep, suddenly the bag I carry into work has added a number of items not formerly there: an eye makeup case, 3 mascaras, 1 gloss. And the office has a pair of shoes, a watch, 2 perfumes, and clear nail hardener.

Addictive or obsession? Either way, I fear a slippery slope.

christinek
04-30-2010, 07:01 AM
Makeup and other things have become part of my daily life. I am a hodge podge in male mode and the less I and my family care the more others don't care either. Daily I wear both earrings, lip gloss (applied all day in front of co-workers), manicured nails painted a shinny clear, toes painted but not visible in the office but wile off duty, I also wear a pink eyeliner daily as well.

My wardrobe is kind of fem in colors too, lots of pastels and pinks. I look for androgynous shoes too.

tamarav
04-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Yes, it is..

MissyW
05-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I love makeup too!

AlexaRay
05-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I can't believe how important makeup has become in my life. I'm currently away on an extended business trip where I CANT dress OR wear makeup, it's a luxury to keep my nails nice and stay shaved, which is also difficult. Anyway. I find myself longing for the few days in a row on the weekend where I can be myself and indulge in the finer things in life. Like eyeshadow and lipstick, I usually forgo the foundation if I'm not going out, but powder and blush is a must! I Throughly upset my wife when I use the last of a certain eyeshadow she likes, and then it's off to the store :) I believe I might be a bit of an addict :)