PDA

View Full Version : retire to Florida where to live

Gerrijerry
04-16-2010, 05:06 AM
I am thinking of moving to florida when I retire. I was wondering where is the best place to live, I am a Crossdresser who goes out in public.

BRANDYJ
04-16-2010, 05:26 AM
If having several p[laces to go out dressed is one of the important factors as to where to live, then I'd suggest the Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, or Orlando areas. They all seem to have more places to go out to. however if the bigger congested areas are not for you, then where I live in SW Florida is the best considering the year round weather, fishing and golf. But there are very few places to go out dressed.

joan47
04-16-2010, 05:34 AM
I hear Key West is pretty gay frendly.

Roberta Young
04-16-2010, 06:14 AM
GerriJerry moved from northeast area, got tired of the snow. orlando has many accepting restaurants,meeting places. city is very beautiful, clean, but VERY busy. no one gives double take if acting like a lady. moved to a smaller town Melbourne/Palmbay area not so hetic. luv Roberta

Cindy J Angel
04-16-2010, 06:16 AM
key wests is safe. the cops will arrest any one that start trouble. (GREEN BACKS) I was there in the 84. so it should be even better now. But if you don't like fishing there is not much to do. but cubing

RADER
04-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Florida sounds great at first, but remember, in Florida you are not the highest
member of the food change. I can not see myself as some Alligator's lunch
or a Sharks dinner.
I will stick to a place where 10 below zero means no bad critters, snakes,
or other things to EAT you. Besides, 10 Below Zero means more time to dress inside, it is to cold to go out. :2c: Rader

gabimartini
04-16-2010, 06:25 AM
Well, there's Miami, which is an universe all by itself. Big city with many things to do and to see, probably the best place to hang out. Also the most expensive.

There's South Florida, starting at Ft Lauderdale up to West Palm Beach. Things are a bit slow for my taste. These are huge residential areas with not many places to go. There are some hangout places at Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Delray Beach and then West Palm. Other than that, most restaurants close at 9.

There's the West coast and all cities along I-75 (Naples, Ft Myers, Sarasota, etc) up to Tampa. Some beautiful cities and very nice people. Not sure there's a whole lot of nightlife going on. Western Floridian ladies, please help!

There's Tampa Bay (including St Pete and Clearwater) and Orlando, which are more vibrant places, there's more of a nightlife scene, since both are college towns, in addition to being tourist destinations.

I'm not real familiar with North Florida cities (Tallahassee, Daytona, Jacksonville, etc). Guess it all depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay for it (Miami and Southeast Florida probably being the most expensive places).

Good luck!

Trish
04-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Last year I bought a house in Melbourne Florida. I lived there in the 1970's. It a small, but growing town, that is laid back, but has plenty to do there. I've lived on both the east coast, and the west coast of Florida. I like the east coast much better, But that's just my opinion.

erickka
04-16-2010, 07:16 AM
I agree that a bigger city is more apt to be a place for a girl to be, but just recently moving FROM Florida, the S.W. Fl (Sarasota to Fort Myers area) is a lot more civilized than Tampa or Miami. It also has a lesser crime rate and fewer gangs. Orlando is still a pretty nice place to be, but take your time and check out the area you choose thoroughly. You won't regret the extra effort.

joann07
04-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Like the other girls said, anywhere in south Florida from Daytona-Orlando-Tampa Bay and down is good as there are more metro areas. North Florida and the panhandle is like good ol boy country so I would stay away from those areas.

I live near St. Pete and that area is a pretty friendly and your not that far from the beach. If you want to go to Orlando, you just hop on the interstate and you're there in about an hour.
In the Tampa Bay area, there is a fairly large TG community and there are social events that can happen in any given month.
More and more areas in Tampa are becoming TG friendly in places such as the historic Ybor City. I was there this past weekend and had a great time.

Hugs!

Karren H
04-16-2010, 08:02 AM
If I were to move to Florida, which I'm not because its too damn hot for makeup.... there is only one place I live... Ocala!!! And Big Daddy Don Garlitz's drag racing museum!! Our father... Who art in Florida!! Nothing beats the smell of nitro-methane in the morning!! Yeah!

Katesback
04-16-2010, 09:10 AM
I live in Fort Lauderdale. About three miles from downtown is a city that is literally a gay haven. It is called Wilton Manors. If you are someone that looks for a safe place to be you, I cannot think of a safer place!

Of course I myself would encourage anyone to be who they are anywhere. I did my own transition in Tennessee (bible belt). I was as comfortable there as I am anywhere.

Katie

StephanieDragg
04-16-2010, 10:24 AM
There is a place called the sawmill which is a gay/cd friendly campground I have talked to a gurl Kim who lives and works there and is very nice.

celeste26
04-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Well contrary to all the previous suggestions the Northwest is an excellent place to retire to. (Oregon and Washington) The housing prices haven't gone through the roof, the climate is moderate year round and the whole place is TG friendly, (particularly Portland and Seattle).

There are never hurricanes and there is all the benefits of snow in the nearby mountains and water sports in the summer. An ideal environment if ever there was one outside of maybe Hawaii. Just cant beat the Northwest.

Melinda G
04-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Although I go to Florida for a few weeks every winter, I would never want to live there. Much too hot and humid in the summer. Friends in Florida have summer electric bills higher than our winter heat bills for the air conditioning. You can't live without it. Nice place to visit though.
The traffic is terrible in the built up areas. Takes hours to go a few miles. Taxes are high. You have to buy homeowners insurance, plus flood insurance, plus wind insurance, if you have a mortgage. Florida is the lightning capital of the world. Some friends moved back to Michigan because the lightning scared the beejeezus out of the wife.
I like Key West. Very tolerant, but not a lot to do, after you've been there a few days, and very expensive.
Florida is great if you are into fishing, diving, and other outdoor stuff. But I wouldn't move there just to CD.

Also, there will be better deals to be had soon, as the housing market is heading into a second leg down. Bank of America will be doubling their foreclosure rate this year, as the recession drags on and unemployment remains high. They recently announced that foreclosures currently running around 20,000 a month, would rise to 45,000 a month this year. Those are some huge numbers, and Florida is one of the harder hit states.

geri-tg.
04-16-2010, 12:02 PM
I live in the Tampa bay area. We love it we have water in our back yard and go out often.:)

NV Susan
04-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Geri, that water in your backyard is called FLOODING...get out now!!! :laughing:

eileendover
04-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Dave Barry on South Florida: "cockroaches large enough to be registered with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles"

NathalieX66
04-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Sarasota...artsy & cosmopolitan.

sherri52
04-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Brandy has made some good suggestions. I think Tampa would be a great place. You can go over to Ybor city to eat and dance. There are a number of girls on this site and the Tri- ess meet over in ST. Pete.

lacie
04-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Don't know about crossdressing there but my favorite place is Sanibel Island. It is located just off the coast of Ft Myers in SW Florida. It is very laid back and more of a family destination. However I'd love to one day own a home there. If you like to fish, bike ride, seashell hunt, and eat great seafood then you'd love Sanibel. The adjoining island is Captiva. It is also very nice.

rayander01
04-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Being from Tallahassee I think we have a lot to offer. We have two Universities.a Jr. college. a technical school and the are the capital city of Florida. A very diverse group. FSU has a large GBLT orgnization here which is curently trying to get State laws to accept and protece all of us.
Come join the fun

Rey

Amy Lynn3
04-16-2010, 08:11 PM
I lived in the Tampa Bay area and still have a sister that lives there. You have Tampa, St Pete and Clearwater in one area, so that would be my pick of the areas to live in.

To please all parties I suggest that we all start our own crossdressing community/city right here in North Carolina. Its cold for a short winter and hot for a while. The best of both worlds!!!! If we build our own city, then we could make all the stores TG friendly. Well, I like the idea anyway.

Melinda G
04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Sarasota...artsy & cosmopolitan.
AKA Gods waiting room.:D

Katt GG
04-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Don't know about crossdressing there but my favorite place is Sanibel Island. It is located just off the coast of Ft Myers in SW Florida. It is very laid back and more of a family destination. However I'd love to one day own a home there. If you like to fish, bike ride, seashell hunt, and eat great seafood then you'd love Sanibel. The adjoining island is Captiva. It is also very nice.

Lacie,
Have you checked into any of the info on housing on Sanibel? It truly sounds awesome. I would love to be able to seashell hunt and fish. My SO loves to fish. Sounds like a great place.
Katt:)

~Michelle~
04-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I hear Key West is pretty gay frendly.

Why do you bring up "gay friendly"? It's not always easy to recognize a gay person and in most cases when people do, that they can't be really bothered by it, but the story is quite different for most crossdressers.

eluuzion
04-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Dave Barry on South Florida: "cockroaches large enough to be registered with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles"

Hey, those are not cockroaches, they are called "Palmetto Bugs"...:D

I just sold my condo in Ft. Lauderdale 2 years ago,,,er, ah, I mean I "gave it away" during the Unreal Estate nightmare. I lived in Lauderdale on/off since the 70's. Lots of changes. I would not live anywhere south of Boca Raton these days. Crime & hookers are ruining it. Key West is ok if you know a local to introduce you to the "group".

My sister just bought a place west of Flagler Beach and loves it. She retired and is now taking care of whales as a volunteer guide.

Tampa has it's good points. I still love Lauderdale because it is like "home". Lots of what you are looking for too. You can never collect enough shells, regardles of where you decide to go... always great "therapy".

shannonFL
04-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Florida, boom and bust, always has been and maybe always will be....
my home forever, sorry for the unreal estate, I had nothing to do with it...
you can find a lot of contrasts here....but if not for the water and beaches
(swfla) I would move to colorado...:2c:

VickysBFF
04-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Well contrary to all the previous suggestions the Northwest is an excellent place to retire to.
No, it most definitely is not

(Oregon and Washington) The housing prices haven't gone through the roof, the climate is moderate year round and the whole place is TG friendly, (particularly Portland and Seattle).
No, it most definitely is not. I was harshly discriminated against in Portland and the weather is awful. Grey and raining for about 90% of the year.

There are never hurricanes and there is all the benefits of snow in the nearby mountains and water sports in the summer. An ideal environment if ever there was one outside of maybe Hawaii. Just cant beat the Northwest.

I'll take hurricanes any day over the attitudes of Portlanders. Unless you are one of them and subscribe to all of their beliefs they will shun you.

Personally, I would never even deign to visit that area.
Florida is a terrific place to be, to visit or to live. Much more friendly and accepting than the Northwest.

eileendover
04-17-2010, 02:20 PM
I'll take hurricanes any day over the attitudes of Portlanders.

And you can't buy Attitude Insurance either!

sterling12
04-18-2010, 12:49 AM
OK, to summarize....everybody thinks Florida is either really good or piss-poor! A lot of people would live there....a lot of people want nothing to do with The State! A lot of people think Florida is very TG Friendly....a lot of people think it's a bastion of Red Neck Bigots who would kill The Next TG person they see.

Boy, you got a real consensus didn't you?

As a person who DOES live here, let me throw one more opinion on The Fire. "It's no better or worse than a lot of other places!" We have our scenic areas, we have our cities, we have our areas of backwardness; just about like everywhere else!

You need to locate NEAR a bigger town, and then commute. You can enjoy the advantages of semi-rural living, with the added bonus of actually being able to contact people who are more liberal and tolerant of your lifestyle. You do that AROUND The Bigger Towns.

If you hate Ice and Snow, Gray Skies, and numbing cold, choose somewhere in Florida. If you hate temperatures in The 90's with about 95% humidity about 75% of The Time, live in Wisconsin; or just about any place but here!

If your retiring, you can make a steal on a house right now. If you want work, we're averaging about 14% unemployment everywhere in The State.

If you land somewhere near Tampa/St. Pete, your welcome to take an interview and get into Tri-Beta. There is a LOT to do around here for a Trans-Gurl.

Wherever you go, Good Luck!

Peace and Love, Joanie

BRANDYJ
04-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Sanibel Island is a good place to visit, but I would not want to live there. In fact, I rarely go across the Sanibel Causeway since it cost $6.00 each trip. If you like the sand, the beach and fishing, it's a nice place to visit. But the expense is out of my league. It is a for the very wealthy. All the labor lives off the Island. It's what us locals call a tourist trap. Same can be said about the adjoining island, Captive Island. The only way to get there is by driving the full length of Sanibel and crossing a short bridge. But it is a short drive to either form Fort Myers/ Cape Coral area if you just got to go there.

BRANDYJ
04-21-2010, 06:29 AM
OK, to summarize....everybody thinks Florida is either really good or piss-poor! A lot of people would live there....a lot of people want nothing to do with The State! A lot of people think Florida is very TG Friendly....a lot of people think it's a bastion of Red Neck Bigots who would kill The Next TG person they see.

Boy, you got a real consensus didn't you?

As a person who DOES live here, let me throw one more opinion on The Fire. "It's no better or worse than a lot of other places!" We have our scenic areas, we have our cities, we have our areas of backwardness; just about like everywhere else!

You need to locate NEAR a bigger town, and then commute. You can enjoy the advantages of semi-rural living, with the added bonus of actually being able to contact people who are more liberal and tolerant of your lifestyle. You do that AROUND The Bigger Towns.

If you hate Ice and Snow, Gray Skies, and numbing cold, choose somewhere in Florida. If you hate temperatures in The 90's with about 95% humidity about 75% of The Time, live in Wisconsin; or just about any place but here!

If your retiring, you can make a steal on a house right now. If you want work, we're averaging about 14% unemployment everywhere in The State.

If you land somewhere near Tampa/St. Pete, your welcome to take an interview and get into Tri-Beta. There is a LOT to do around here for a Trans-Gurl.

Wherever you go, Good Luck!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Sterling, you hit the nail on the head! I agree totally with everything you said.

I've lived here since I was 12 years old. I am originally from Long Island, New York....21 miles from the big apple. Visiting that place as a boy made me to never want to live in a big city again. To me, Miami is a split level New York city! I hate that place. Way to crowded and if you don't speak spanish now, forget it. The saying goes, Will the last American leaving Miami, please turn out the lights."
I would not go back to New York for all the tea in China. The only time I moved was from Fort Myers to Tampa for about 4 years 1977 to 1981 and then back to Fort Myers. I liked the Tampa area even as big as it is. But on average, much colder then Fort Myers in the winter. I remember grey skys just like in the snow belt, but it never snowed. OK, a rare occurrence.

But if night life being transgendered was a big plus, or deciding factor for you, I'd pick either the greater Tampa Bay area, Fort Lauderdale are, or Orlando. Or at least the smaller close towns to any of them. I am not one to like big cities at all.

I'd move to just outside of Detroit Michigan in a heartbeat if I thought I could find work. But they are worse off then here in Florida. But my motives are different. My girlfriend lives there and had to take full guardianship of 3 little grand daughters. So until she can move back here, that's where I want to be.
Any girls in that area have a job for me? :daydreaming:

DonniDarkness
04-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Sarasota...i lived here for a very long time it was nice but i moved towards tallahassee a few years ago

You should try somewhere off the i-4 stretch between tampa and orlando and heres why:

your smack dab in the middle of FL and tampa has a great night life as well as orlando

affordable retierement communities in this area

alot of retirees to find and make new friends

In tampa you wont shock anyone no matter how your dressed, we have seen it all in Ybor City....

In orlando you wont shock anyone at all because they cater to the world with their themeparks and attractions, and most ppl who live in orlando area are employed by disney or other parks.
these employees are given strict training on cultural diversity and interacting with others socially different than you

Look for something off the I-4 stretch close to i-75

Hugs and kisses
-Donni-

Gerrijerry
04-21-2010, 07:08 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you girls for all your replies about florida. I know it is hot there in the summer and yes less makeup is really more when done correctly. But hey let your hair grow longer and don't use a wig. Get your eyebrows waxed and we girls look much better.
I have heard about a place called the villages anyone ever hear about it??
Imagine I live near NYC and because of the prices here I am looking for a place to retire to that I can actually afford

BRANDYJ
04-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Talk about out in the boonies. lol This is about 2 hours north of Orlando or Tampa. It is 4 hours north of Fort Myers/Sanibel If you like the more rural life, you might like it. But you will not find anything close if you want to socialize with others that are gender gifted.
Your winters will be cold and since it is in the more north central area of the state away from any ocean or gulf breezes to either cool you in the summer or warm you in the winter, it will be worse then any coastal area and especially worse then most area south of Sarasota or West Palm Beach on the other coast.

As for me, I will never want to live in a so called retirement village. I want kids and young people around me to help keep me young. I will never be caught dead riding a 3 wheeled bicycle or playing shuffleboard. So it would not be for me.

sterling12
04-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah, "The Villages" are up near Ocala, and there are quite a few "retirement communities" located around that area. I have Relatives who live at one called "Top Of The World." Similar kind of deal.

IMHO,They have advantages and disadvantages. You are in a "protected/gated community." You have The Advantage of Golf Courses and Community Centers on site. You will meet a lot of people of similar age, and they will provide you with an "instant social life." The "Disses" are the fact that they are usually very conservative communities and not likely to be tolerant of The Transgendered, you get The "Old Fart" Mentality, and spend your time grousing about "Young people," and most of these places are out in "The Boonies." They will have shopping Centers nearby, you can eat everyday at a new fast food place or family restaurant, but you can become "cloistered" and it discourages venturing out to find new places with opportunities for self-development.

I'll make a suggestion. Come to Florida, rent a house or whatever, and then start "looking around." For most people, at least a year or two is needed to find out if This Place would suit you. Many people become homesick, miss their families and friends too much, and end up returning from whence they came. Use your rental home as a Base, and start exploring. You'll probably enjoy The Search, and probably, ultimately, make a wiser decision.

Just don't act in haste! Too many people come down here, get enthused, and plunk down money for an expensive house in a very big rush. In January, all The Light, The Warmth, and The Pretty Palm Trees put The Zap on your Head. It's "different" here....be aware of that!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Sarah Michelle
04-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm hoping there will be more comments posted about the Florida communities. The Canadian real estate agents with connections in Florida are pushing the Naples and Fort Myers areas as ideal for snowbirds. I was planning a house shopping trip in June,s o keep the info coming.... [please].
Canada is too cold for cross-dressing, by the time you bundle up enough to go outside you might as well be snowmobiling.......

Darla Jean
05-01-2010, 05:08 PM
I live in sw Florida (no it is not too hot all year round - just get on the water and you are very happy). I would suggest anywhere in the Sarasota area - Sarasota is god's country - beautiful, artsy, cosmopolitan and accepting. Keep in mind that Susan Stanton (formerly Steve Stanton) interviewed for the job of City Manager in Sarasota and made the final "cut". Afterward she was asked if the City discriminated against her because of her TG change and she said no - they could not have been nicer. So that's my suggestion.

P.S. would love to meet some other girls from sw florida...!

Melinda G
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
If you go to Naples, bring money. Lots of it. Lots of traffic. Parking meters anywhere near the ocean. People paying big bucks, to be seen eating arugala salads, quiche, and drinking wine along the sidewalk. I always take a big detour around Naples.

A friend of mine recently bought a place in the Villages. He tells me about all the activities, and how many pools they have, etc. Something going on day and night. But I'm not into all those organized activities. Boating, biking, camping, hiking are my interests. While I have been CDing all my life, I would never move somewhere for that reason.

Gloria Wetson
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
The population of Wilton Manors, near Fort Lauderdale, is largely gay, cross dressers and transsexual. There is even a shopping center serving the gay, crossdresser and transexual population. I know they had, and may still have, a gay mayor.
Good luck
Gloria