PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Swimming Still?

Midnight Skye
04-17-2010, 04:26 PM
I have somewhat rough question, but does anyone still go public swimming? You know at lakes, pools or the ocean?

I've been going over a checklist of each facet of my life where I have presented as a female and where I haven't. I had three activities which I'm fearful of still to some degree:

1) Showing the real me to my Mom/brothers/sisters.
2) Breaking down in a car (and dealing with getting it fixed), I got over this one a few weeks ago.
3) Public swimming.

Public swimming... well I won't be doing any unless I fully transition. But still it scares the @#$% out of me. Heck even going swimming as is now, presenting as a male... I'm pretty freaking nervous. My body lacks hair and I feel like my chest is a private part (sighs).

But does anyone have any experience in this area? Or do most of us just give up on activities like swimming due to the potential... emotional trauma which may result from reactions of others?

CharleneT
04-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Yes I do. About 3 times a week. Right now it is to our local indoor pool, as soon as it is warm I can go to the out door pool or the Reservoir (nice open water). I'm full time, pre-op and although daunting at first, it can work pretty well. There is no way I could go in a male suit now. I'd be arrested !!! :eek: I wear a regular one piece women's suit. Tuck and tape, water proof tape :) .... and you're good to go. It is a good idea to have a decent woman's voice down, even a so-so one (as I have). I have discovered the ladies in the locker rooms are chatty. You can be quiet and stand offish ... but I think that attracts too much attention. Better to chat 'em up.

Oh, the reactions of others - so far I have not had a bad reaction or anyone question me about my gender.

Genifer Teal
04-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Never. I'm a sinker not a swimmer.

Gen

Ze
04-17-2010, 07:57 PM
I really wish I was brave enough to go swimming as myself. :sad: I haven't swum since I was, like, 12. I too gave stopped due to emotional trauma, for lack of a better term.

boardpuppy
04-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Swimming has been out for several years, however I do use the hot tube but I wear a T-shirt. I didn't realize for the longest time why this was, the light has been turned on, since I have been here.

Hugs,
Alice

Hope
04-18-2010, 01:58 AM
Yes I do. About 3 times a week. Right now it is to our local indoor pool, as soon as it is warm I can go to the out door pool or the Reservoir (nice open water). I'm full time, pre-op and although daunting at first, it can work pretty well. There is no way I could go in a male suit now. I'd be arrested !!! :eek: I wear a regular one piece women's suit. Tuck and tape, water proof tape :) .... and you're good to go. It is a good idea to have a decent woman's voice down, even a so-so one (as I have). I have discovered the ladies in the locker rooms are chatty. You can be quiet and stand offish ... but I think that attracts too much attention. Better to chat 'em up.

Oh, the reactions of others - so far I have not had a bad reaction or anyone question me about my gender.

Ahem... Mistro - a little music please?

Don't you know that you're my hero...

Solarhawk
04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Ahem... Mistro - a little music please?

Don't you know that you're my hero...

:lol2: I laughed so hard it brought a tear to my eye.

On topic though, the water around here is a bit too chilly for "normal" swimming, and most of my in-water activities involve a mask, fins, and probably a tank (SCUBA diving). I'd have no problems presenting either male or female as such.

Jesse

Midnight Skye
04-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Yes I do. About 3 times a week.

Charlene, you're my hero! I dreadfully thought when I asked this I'd get a big zero on anyone doing it. Hearing that you both do it and don't have issues... sigh... I hope I can manage that one day. It won't be anytime soon but you've uplifted my spirit on the possibility of swimming still. But honestly... I just don't think I could do it in a regular one piece... there's got to be a skirt in there somewhere :battingeyelashes:

I really wish I was brave enough to go swimming as myself. :sad: I haven't swum since I was, like, 12. I too gave stopped due to emotional trauma, for lack of a better term.

- Pouts - I'm sorry Ze! I hadn't fully thought about the other side of this... I remember my first lockeroom exposure. How I went out for sports I will never understand. The post emotions of what I saw and experienced will confuse me to this day.

Most of my in-water activities involve a mask, fins, and probably a tank (SCUBA diving)

Too much fun Jesse! I had a female wetsuit in my closet at one point... I love the feeling of a wetsuit. Scuba diving like that would be a blast!

sherri52
04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I swim but only as a man. I don't have the body some of the girls here on site have. If I had one I'd be going enfemme

Karen564
04-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, the past 2 years I have been swimming in the local lakes by taking my boat out to the middle & taking a swim in semi-privacy.....wearing bikini bottoms & halter top...

And this Summer, I plan on wearing a sexy new bikini in full public view at the beaches...but only as long as I can slim down my waistline some more.....which I'm working on, so we'll see..:devil:

Katesback
04-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Sure I swim. I go to the beach as a matter of fact. I have even gone to a beach where I was not wearing anything!

Now I have all the matching parts. Before I had SRS I did not go swimming! More importantly I did not go into a womens locker room. I have a feeling that that is likely the most difficult and touchey issue one could encounter.

Katie

Midnight Skye
04-19-2010, 09:52 AM
I never changed in the locker room anyway. My wife is the same way... she says no strange lady has any business seeing her parts.

CharleneT
04-19-2010, 12:12 PM

I just don't think I could do it in a regular one piece... there's got to be a skirt in there somewhere :battingeyelashes:

The first womens suit I bought for swimming has a built in skirt. I have never worn it swimming though. Before I went I decided that for this to work easily it would be better if I was read "female" immediately and without a doubt. If for some reason a person had a doubt, you know where they will look next. SO I figured, the skirt could make it seem I was hiding something. Hence the regular swim suit, it is black TYR with a kinda racer back. Very normal looking, probably 1/2 the women there are wearing it or one nearly identical. It helps that a quick glance over and they just do not see anything but some woman they don't know.

Sure I swim. I go to the beach as a matter of fact. I have even gone to a beach where I was not wearing anything!

Now I have all the matching parts. Before I had SRS I did not go swimming! More importantly I did not go into a womens locker room. I have a feeling that that is likely the most difficult and touchey issue one could encounter.

Katie

Somehow I knew you would say that ! :D Personally I can't wait to be able to go skinny dipp'n again ! Of course, that is in the uncertain future. But I'm gonna get there for sure !

I thought it would be difficult/touchy etc. I am still very concerned about causing someone to be uncomfortable. But so far that hasn't been a problem at all. My biggest concern is with a mother and young kids. It could be that some read me and just don't care. I imagine a mom might have a different reaction. I have been in the locker room several times with Moms/kids and so far no trouble there either. The one time I did panic a bit was when I went back in after a swim and there were 6 tween/teen girls in the locker room. They are the more likely to "read" you, or so I've heard. Almost went back to the pool, but I just changed and went about my biz. They didn't notice or acknowledge me.

I never changed in the locker room anyway. My wife is the same way... she says no strange lady has any business seeing her parts.

It curious, but there is an age thing with that - at least here. The younger women ( under 40 or so ) are quite modest and often change in a way that they are never really naked. The older ladies are almost all the "let it all hang out" sorts. It took me a while to get used to walking around the showers and locker room with a bunch of naked women. But since there are also some partially dressed, I do not look out of place. I think the two most important things are to be confident and chatty. Don't look scared and act normal.

Jennifer in CO
04-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Still swim...don't pass and 99% of the time swim in a black tankini set that looks like a 'regular' tank top and boy shorts. That other 1% is personal time but I might tuck and do a bikini or one piece. Several years ago we went over to Glenwood Springs to the pool and I asked my wife to pick me up a new suit before we went. Below is a link to a suit that is identical (except for the side tie) that she bought me...and I wore it! It was 9am in the morning so there were very few people out. Didn't change in the changing rooms, just wrapped a towel around me and went (short walk from hotel to pool). No looks that I saw (morning fog helps) and certainly no comments

Jenn

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/swim/womens/sets/PRD~592204/Upstream+Leaf+Swimsuit+Set.jsp

EnglishRose
04-20-2010, 08:45 AM
I take my 2 1/2 year old son swimming once a week. It's the biggest doubt I have about shaving fully, but then I have to wonder if anyone would notice :) Can always pass it off as wanting to be more aerodynamic... (hydrodynamic?)

Traci Elizabeth
04-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Jenn

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/swim/womens/sets/PRD~592204/Upstream+Leaf+Swimsuit+Set.jsp

Thanks for the link. That looks like exactly what I think I would be comfortable in.

I have not yet gone swimming or sun bathing but want to. Now I just need to learn how to tuck and tape. And what the heck is water-proof tape?

Angel.Marie76
04-20-2010, 10:48 AM
I'll echo Genifer's thoughts of being a sinker and not a swimmer, however I have been to the beach once so far. I went last summer for a day, with a tie-behind-the-neck black and white top, and the miniskirt/bikini bottoms. I do plan on hitting the beach again this year, hopefully several times if the weather keeps up.

Most of the time I was there, I was actually lying on the beach with short-shorts and that top, sunning myself, but I did go wading once. My heart was racing for a lot of the time I was there, but there's something to be said for confidence, again, when it comes to being out. Behind my sunglasses I don't believe I saw a single person gawk at me while I was sunning myself, though as I walked the beach the older folks seemed to key in on something (again, I try to blend always).

I actually received more unplesant stares and so forth while I was on the boardwalk / shopping area after the sun set... and I was in a Tank/sweater/and flowy sunskirt then. Go figure.

CharleneT
04-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the link. That looks like exactly what I think I would be comfortable in.

I have not yet gone swimming or sun bathing but want to. Now I just need to learn how to tuck and tape. And what the heck is water-proof tape?

this is what I use, get it at the grocery store in the bandaid section:

http://www.rapidsupplies.com/3m731firstaidwaterprooftapewdispenser1x180flexible mmm731mmm731.aspx

as for how, there is a huge thread about that:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59176

Traci Elizabeth
04-20-2010, 02:00 PM
this is what I use, get it at the grocery store in the bandaid section:

http://www.rapidsupplies.com/3m731firstaidwaterprooftapewdispenser1x180flexible mmm731mmm731.aspx

as for how, there is a huge thread about that:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59176

Thanks for the tape link. Now I just have to learn to tuck...I had already read the tucking post but it must be my age as I still don't get it or how one urinates while taped? If anyone has a diagram or drawing please mail me. I would love to wear a swimsuit and not show.

CharleneT
04-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the tape link. Now I just have to learn to tuck...I had already read the tucking post but it must be my age as I still don't get it or how one urinates while taped? If anyone has a diagram or drawing please mail me. I would love to wear a swimsuit and not show.

I put an answer in that thread with diagrams.