PDA

View Full Version : Mission Impossible

Leanne2
04-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Since my mother in law came to live with us in January it has almost been impossible for me to dress up. I work a shift work job with shifts that change every two days. My days off are usually during the week. My wife works in the school system so she works grade school hours. We have hired a lady to take care of Mom when both of us are at work. But I do figure out how to dress up at least once a month for my beauty shop appointment.

I’ll tell you about my experience last Friday. Of course I showered that morning and shaved my face and legs. Then I picked out my fem outfit. No skirt or dress would work because none of the women in this trendy salon dress like that and my goal is to pass. The day was going to be hot so I picked out cream colored pants with a pink short sleeved top. I stuffed knee high nylons into my new white ladies tennis shoes. They went into a bag with my bra, small jewelry box, and purse. I left home dressed in drab for my early morning shift.

Later from work I called the lady watching my mother in law. I told her that I had a few errands to run so she could just leave at 1:30 as usual and I would be home by 2. When my co-worker came to work at noon I said that I needed to get off early, so I did. Now I had to figure out where and how to transform in a hurry. I found an out of the way restroom at work so I went to my car to fetch my things. With the door locked I quickly changed and put on my makeup. Then I slowly opened the door and made a dash for my car. I swear that I could hear the Mission Impossible music in the background.. As I was driving to the salon I received a call from my wife. She said that a doctor had just made an appointment for her mother to have tests done at the hospital. Could I have her there no later than 3pm. I looked at my watch and said, “Sure, I can do that.”

I stopped at a secluded place so I could finish putting on makeup in my car. Then I drove to the Salon and walked in. This salon is fairly small but still has eight stations plus a nail salon in the back room. I actually arrived 20 minutes early so I took a seat to wait. My stylist saw me and came over to talk. Her noon color appointment was 30 minutes late. There would be time to wax my brows. Maybe the other woman would switch times with me. .But she arrived just as Hailee was finishing my brows. I told Hailee that I had to be out the door by 2pm. She said that would work.

As Hailee started the color and foils I sat in the waiting area. The shop was quite noisy with all of the talking and hairdryers going. An elderly lady sat next to me. After we chatted a while she said,” You look familiar. What is your name?” I told her my fem name. Then she asked,” what was your maiden name?” I wasn’t prepared for that but quickly told her my mother’s maiden name. Then I told her that I grew up in the northern part of the state. That satisfied her.

By 1:30 Hailee was ready for me. She reshaped my wedge hairstyle and then curled, teased and sprayed it while her color client waited. Two of the other stylists told me that highlights would be pretty in my hair. I agreed but said that there wasn’t time for that. Then I paid Hailee and hit the door. I wiped off most of the makeup on the drive home. As I neared my driveway I remembered that my 24 year old son doesn’t work on Fridays. Thank goodness he wasn’t home. I ran in the back door and down the basement. I showered, dressed in drab and went upstairs to talk to my mother in law. Thirty minutes later I was sitting in the hospital waiting area while Mom was getting her tests done. After school let out my wife walked in. She said,” How was your day?” “ "Uneventful", I said.

gabimartini
04-18-2010, 07:24 AM
It never ceases to amaze me the lengths we are willing to cover to satisfy our feminine impulses. In your case, Leanne, it does sound like Mission Impossible but somehow you make it work. Good for you!!

Staci G
04-18-2010, 08:13 AM
:eek: I thought I had it rough trying to change and makeup in the car. thats a pain but well worth it.

Billijo49504
04-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Wouldn't it be much better to be out in the open. Just a thought, atleast with the family...BJ

JiveTurkeyOnRye
04-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Does your wife know about your dressing at least? And also if your son is 24 and still living at home (no judgement, I'm 28 and currently at home because I'm about to move across the country and was saving money for that,) then maybe it is time to come out to him. You shouldn't have to live your lifestyle around him when you're really doing him a favor by letting him stay.

As to the mother in law, if she's ill then I disagree with the people saying to come out to her, it may be too much stress depending on her condition.

Phyliss
04-18-2010, 09:36 AM
I'd say don't change anything. Having the ability to do those "quick change" things keeps you active and alert, ( we all know being a LERT is lots of fun)

What I'm getting at is, no need to tell anybody anything. That you can have your life and yet be able to accomodate little bumps in the road shows you're flexible and able to bend with the winds of change, no matter how quickly they switch direction. To my weird way of thinking that sorta adds to the fun.

dorylinn
04-18-2010, 10:11 AM
That's great :)

Changing at work is risky business.

My work has cameras all around the building ... recording 24/7 :sad:

Jessy
04-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Quite an adventure! Be careful changing at work though (unless they know)!
"what was your maiden name?" just made me laugh so hard... Just like you, totally didn't see that one coming :lol:

Leanne2
04-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the comments girls. Let me try to answer your questions. First Billijo asked if it would just be easier to just come out. Yes it would be much easier but I happen to be married. My wife’s biggest fear isn’t the fact that I sometimes dress up. She is more worried about our reputation in our small community. I don’t agree with her but I recognize fear when I see it. So….I agreed to not come out to friends and family.
Irene said I should tell my mother in law. Yes I should but see number one above. I agreed not to. Jive also said to tell my wife and son. Same answer.
Dorylinn and Jessy advised me to be careful if I change at work. There are no cameras and very few people that work where I do but thanks for the warning. The other good advise came from Phylliss. She said that I should stay the course. That’s what I will do but I do appreciate the fact that the others took the time to reply. It shows me that you care. Leanne

sherri52
04-18-2010, 06:54 PM
These are the times when I'm glad I live alone. I only have to worry about customers in the store when I'm still dressed.

RADER
04-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Leanne2:
I think you need an eight day of the week, Call it a Leanne Day. Rader :2c:

Leanne2
04-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Yes Rader, I could use another day of the week. It takes time and money to get anything done. I don't have much money but I have more of that than time. I can not remember that last time that I was bored. It was many many years ago. Many of us are over worked and over booked. It just sucks the enjoyment out of our lives. Sorry about the rant but the comment struck a nerve. But thanks for thinking about me. Leanne

Angiemead12
04-18-2010, 07:17 PM
wow that sounded so hectic!

Lorileah
04-18-2010, 07:21 PM
I am still trying to figure out how "trendy" and not wearing dresses and skirts go together. What is this place the local Army recruiter? Not buying this at all.

Leanne2
04-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Hi Lorileah,
Years ago when I went to beauty shops to get my hair done they were nothing like today's. All of the ladies, me included, would get roller sets. Then we would sit under the dryers for 30 to 45 minutes before the comb out and style. Some of us would wear skirts or dresses. And those beauticians didn't provide services for men. To me, a trendy shop has younger beauticians, never does roller sets, cuts men's hair, and everyone dresses down. Oh, also todays shops do a lot of coloring services. Thanks for your comment and have a great day! Leanne

JiveTurkeyOnRye
04-19-2010, 06:21 AM
So your wife doesn't want you to be outed in your small community, which means you can't tell your family.. but you're willing to go out dressed for regular visits to the beauty salon?

Leanne2
04-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi Jive,
To get my hair done I drive to a salon in a different city. Leanne

Amanda Stubbs
04-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Wow am I glad I live on my own! I can't imagine getting all done up for such a short time in such a hurry! I suppose it adds to the thrill though!
How about you and your wife getting away for a girly weekend?

StephanieDragg
04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Great story! we all can appreciate the effort involved into making everything work!:heehee: