PDA

View Full Version : You can do anything!

Katesback
04-19-2010, 07:26 AM
I have always encouraged people to do whatever it takes to be happy! Often I talk with tansgender people and they are indecisive about doing this or that. Perhaps one of the most important things I have done is been relentless in my pursuit to be the person I am today.

My roller derby team has taken to several causes. One is HIV prevention (I work HIV prevention in transgender people). Another is animal welfare, the third is womens empowerment programs.

Last Saturday we had a bout (game). I am happy to report that often the transgender people come to the bouts. We had at least four transgender people at the Saturday game. Here are some pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/27063499@N04

Phillis from this site is half way down the page standing with me. Also if you notice the stickers on the back of my helmet, they are the transgender flag!

I have said it before and will say it again. You can be whoever you want to be. It only takes courage and confidence!

Katie

Billijo49504
04-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Gee it looks like your roller derby is more exciting than the crap we have here. I think the local team should be called the roller duds.:tongueout..BJ

AKAMichelle
04-19-2010, 07:43 AM
I couldn't agree more. Fear will only limit your life. Ridding yourself of the shackles will allow you to live the life your were meant to enjoy.

StaceyJane
04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
You are so right. I've been going out more and more and having a great time.

Katesback
04-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Danielle and I went to the transgender support group meeting last Friday night. Afterwards she had some questions for me about transgender people. Some of the questions were based upon asking me what identity a particular person at the meeting was. I told her that I gave up trying to figure it out a long time ago and these days I just go with the flow. You tell me you are a lion I am game as long as ya dont eat me.

I told her that I myself really could care less what someone is as long as they are happy. My biggest issue with the trans community is that often we will sit around and talk and complain about things, will dream of the future but then not actually act upon our dreams. We make a ton of excuses for this or that. My favorite is the excuse that if I come out I will be ruined. Funny thing is that there are a lot of examples of very successful tranasgender people out there. Take Stu Rassmussen who is a CD and mayor of Littleton Oregon.

In the past I have been a sort of guide to some local transgender people. My modus operandi is to take them out in the world and let them see for themselves that it is not as bad as they might have thought it to be. This typically build confidence and next thing I see them at my roller derby games as well as many other public venues. They often tell me the liberating feeling from getting away from the house or gay bars! I certainly cannot offer that service to all you here but I can offer encouragement, you can do it... I did!

I guess it all boils down to those that do and those that don't. You simply have to decide what catagory you fit into.

jenna_woods
04-19-2010, 08:03 AM
I agree with you all the way, fear is one big thing that can hold us back, I my self have goten over the fear, and am enjoying life as jenna

AKAMichelle
04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
This typically build confidence and next thing I see them at my roller derby games as well as many other public venues. They often tell me the liberating feeling from getting away from the house or gay bars!

I haven't progressed to public venues like a ball game or something like that, but it is definitely in my future. The real world is so much more fun than limiting yourself to only the house or gay bars.

Katesback
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
I recently had a conversation with a trans person. She was dead set on beginning transition and making friends with a lot of trans people. I had been watching this person for some time and she tended to focus her time in comfort zones, gay establishments and other GLBT people.

I mentioned to her that spending all her time in a safe environment would not do much for her assimilation into the world. She didnt get it! It took some creative annalogies to hopefully get the point across.

Katie
Snip-Snip
goldcoastderbygrrls.com

immike
04-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I've always wanted to wear a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders uniform,without the stars?