PDA

View Full Version : Crossdresser or Transvestite

RachelPortugal
04-18-2010, 02:51 AM
I have often wondered why the term crossdresser has been adopted by this "community" rather than transvestite.

I had thought about it from an etymological aspect as crossdresser is of Germanic origin and transvestite is Latin, but we use other Latin origin terms transgender, transexual, transition.

I personally do not like the term "crossdresser" but use it because that seems to be the done thing now. When did we stop being transvestites?

Rachael

Felicity O
04-18-2010, 03:05 AM
I too wonder this sometimes, as I personally don't have a preference. Most people I know usually say "Tranny" instead of "transvestite", but generally use "crossdressers."

Mandy
04-18-2010, 03:09 AM
Sorry

But I prefer the term crossdresser, as I dress as a woman Part time.

Transvestite, makes me feel sick just typing the word, its a nasty horrid Slang term that gets blown out of all proportions.

Loni
04-18-2010, 03:20 AM
terms like

"transvestite" brings to mind the classic guy in a black corset and skimpy panties, torn nylons with a whip, doing kinky gay sex.:eek::doh:

"cross dresser" brings to mind a guy trying very much to look and act like a real woman.:daydreaming::heehee:

but in fact they are the same words just from different worlds.

Loni

Ms Jennifer
04-18-2010, 03:25 AM
:love:I think crossdress is a non-sexaul theme no matter what your oreintation is. Where transvestite seems to be dressing purely for sex. Thats why I enjoy this site so much since it is dedicated to dressing up.Then you can go do whatever thing you do after .:daydreaming:

Edwina
04-18-2010, 03:50 AM
Sorry

But I prefer the term crossdresser, as I dress as a woman Part time.

Transvestite, makes me feel sick just typing the word, its a nasty horrid Slang term that gets blown out of all proportions.

I feel the same an I don't really know why. A while ago I posted in a local (for me) TG site and I introduced myself as a cross dresser and asked if there any others like me as the majority of contributers seemed to be transitioning or post op.
I received one reply in which the writer used transvestite a number of times in reference to me and I felt somehow dirty. I cannot even remember the gist of her post but it certainly wasn't a warm welcome and I have never gone back.
Perhaps one reason for my distaste for the word is due to it being used in the press whenever some pervert in a dress does something to warrent media attention. It is never used in a positive sense.

Joanne f
04-18-2010, 05:02 AM
I guess it is one of those personal things as they really both mean the same but i do not like the term Transvestite because it is used as an insult by other people like (look there's a, or that Tranny).
I am 3G (3rd Gender) so which ever way you look at it i am never cross dressing (well that's my excuse):heehee:

Jess81CD
04-18-2010, 05:23 AM
I always saw transvestite as someone who is more closely associated with transgender where as crossdresser is someone who wears the clothes off the opposite gender.

I know from one of the other threads that i'm in the minority in this thinking.

I call myself a crossdresser mainly because i don't think i'm good enough at it to call myself a transvestite :)

As for what we should call ourselves? anything you fancy!

BRANDYJ
04-18-2010, 05:33 AM
The term transvestite is clinical sounding and usually is thought of as a sickness. The newer term crossdresser or cross dresser (never know what spelling is right...my spell check says 'crossdresser is incorrect) anyway, it sounds less clinical and nicer to me. I do not like the word transvestite.

Billie1
04-18-2010, 05:56 AM
Transvestite is the classic terms used for many years to describe one who wears the clothing of the opposite gender. It seems to carry with it a sexual/fetish connotation, much along the lines of The Rocky Horror Show. It is the same ilk as 'Drag Queen', which is, as we know it, over-the-top crossdressing.

Crossdressing, and more recently and dare I say it, more PC, transgendered, are softer terms that seem to include more of the lifestyle characteristics that many members of our community here seem to share. They are less threatening terms that I only can hope that are more readily acceptable to mainstream culture, and may, someday, lead to a greater acceptance in general society.

Be well,
Billie

charlytuna
04-18-2010, 06:15 AM
go and google tranvestite and see what come up. To me that what tranny means to me . I myself is a crossdresser, which seem to fit for me

Natalia
04-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Most people I know usually say "Tranny"

That word, in the LGBT community, is viewed (and rightly so) as the gender equivilant of the N word in racial parlance.

PretzelGirl
04-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Rachael, one thing you aren't seeing here is someone bringing up locale. In Europe, it seems that transvestite has become a more normal term. In the US, as you can see from a number of posts here, transvestite has been used as a derogatory term in the past.

I can relate as before I came here, I didn't call myself a transvestite because of the ways I had heard it and tranny used in the past. So it seems that for us in the US, crossdressers is a more mellow, middle of the road term that hasn't been dragged through the mud.

Joanne f
04-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I call myself a crossdresser mainly because i don't think i'm good enough at it to call myself a transvestite :)

As for what we should call ourselves? anything you fancy!

You may not go to the same extreme as some of the others but you are still as good as anyone else to call yourself whatever you like :)

Frédérique
04-18-2010, 09:50 AM
The term transvestite is clinical sounding and usually is thought of as a sickness. The newer term crossdresser or cross dresser (never know what spelling is right...my spell check says 'crossdresser is incorrect) anyway, it sounds less clinical and nicer to me. I do not like the word transvestite
Oh, it’s going to be one of those argumentative days – I can feel it…:doh:

Personally, I prefer to think of myself as a transvestite. I have absolutely no problem with the term – it doesn’t feel clinical, and the very sound of it doesn’t make me sick. I am a transvestite, OK? Can you deal with that? I always smile when I hear the word “tranny,” so I guess I don’t take things so seriously. To me, the word crossdresser sounds like a general term (just look around and see how many different types of crossdressers are here, for instance), while the word transvestite is very specific and describes my lifestyle to a “T.” :battingeyelashes: So far, since I’ve been here, this is the 8th or 9th discussion of definitions along these lines. Everybody has their own idea of what they are comfortable with, so let’s just leave it at that…

Vicki-Z
04-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Myself, I don’t like labels at all. :eek:

On one hand we say how unfair it is to us that society wants to label people as 100 % male or 100% female and there is no room for us, then on the other hand we try to label ourselves. We are so concerned about whether we are transsexuals, crossdressers, transgender, transsexual, etc.

I say let’s just be us. Let’s forget worrying about labels and be the person we are inside. Lets live our lives and just be happy being us. :daydreaming:

Vicki :cheer:

PortiaHoney
04-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Rachael.

As others have pointed out, Tranvestite is a term used freely in Europe and without derogatory undertones. Unfortunately, in many other parts of the world it has been used to undermine and belittle those of our portion in the gender spectrum.

I do not like, nor appreciate being called a Transvestite. For me it is a very medical description of a person who purely dresses for sexual gratification and that is the end of it, until the next session. I do not "dress" for sexual gratification and for that portion of my life where it did take on sexual overtones, it was still not the drive for my behaviour. I purely did not fully understand why I was driven to do what I did.

Now, with more maturity, I have come to the realisation that I am Transgendered. I identify with being a person not of my birth gender. It is not something I do for kicks, which is the main reason behind the definition of Transvestite. Psychology has come a lot further than the early days when categories were fewer and far more general in meaning.

I did identify as being a crossdresser (the reason spell check accepts the seperated words is because cross and dresser are identified seperately and the correct term crossdresser is not. You can always add it to your dictionary - and I am not angry about my dressing) for many years. The reason behind this was that I could not accept that I did what I did purely for gratification. If that was the case, then I would have accepted the label of Tranvestite. The feelings of loss when having to go back to my male life were extreme.

Ultimately, it's what you are comfortable with. If you are happy as being a Transvestite, then that's ok. Crossdresser carries less negative connotations with it, but mainly from not being so frequently abused by all and sundry.

Personally, I am a woman, who just requires a bit of adjusting of the vessel carrying me around this world. Transwoman and Trangendered are just labels that help clear up any confusion about my actual situation.

Above all, remember to have fun.
huggs
Portia

Tina B.
04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
A Rose by any other name, would it not smell as sweet? Call me a cross dresser, Transvestite, or guy in a dress, I just don't see the difference. When it gets down to it, anyone that has a problem with cross dressers is not going to care what you call it, they are still going to think of you as some kind of pervert, and the ones that don't have a problem with it, well I say let them call it what ever they feel comfortable with.

Sarah Doepner
04-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Will break my bones.

What was the book? "Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten". There have been way too many people with our general view of gender harmed by unknowing, unfeeling or angry jerks. We need to be aware of that, because it it part of our world if we choose to go out in public. We also have seen the negative impact this has on some marriages and relationships between parents and children or in the work place. There are, without doubt, many who are not just unaware but offended by people like those of us on this forum. And they can act in unpredictable or even violent ways.

But words won't hurt me. On the other hand, we have seen a great number of folks who are okay with the idea or even support us. Just like we span the gender continum, so do the attitudes of everyone else. It's good to be aware when the words are a precursor to violence, but most of the time, (I think) it's just evidence of ignorance. Two very different things. Addressing the unknowing with good information may prevent the move toward fear and eventual violence. One way to do that is to first defuse those bomb-like words. We've seen it in other movements. At one time "Queer" was a very loaded negative term, until some in that community adopted it and it lost much of its power as a hate word.

Call me a crossdresser, a transvestite, tranny, girly-man, male-dyke, mister-sister, he-she, it or whatever. It bounces off me and sticks to you. Particularly if I behave myself and don't throw a fit. And if it produces a teachable moment, even better.

celeste26
04-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Well it seems the mind does play tricks with us. Since transvestite and cross dresser are virtually the same thing from different origins the way we feel about those terms comes from either our own minds or from the social milieu we come from and is not contained within the words themselves. Objectively there is no difference at all.

I say use whichever term feels better and get over those preconceived notions built into our own minds.

2B Natasha
04-18-2010, 10:59 AM

Personally, I prefer to think of myself as a transvestite. I have absolutely no problem with the term – it doesn’t feel clinical, and the very sound of it doesn’t make me sick. I am a transvestite, OK? Can you deal with that? I always smile when I hear the word “tranny,” so I guess I don’t take things so seriously. To me, the word crossdresser sounds like a general term (just look around and see how many different types of crossdressers are here, for instance), while the word transvestite is very specific and describes my lifestyle to a “T.” :battingeyelashes: So far, since I’ve been here, this is the 8th or 9th discussion of definitions along these lines. Everybody has their own idea of what they are comfortable with, so let’s just leave it at that…

Amen sister. Took the very words right out of my mouth.

Natasha

minalost
04-18-2010, 11:07 AM
terms like

"transvestite" brings to mind the classic guy in a black corset and skimpy panties, torn nylons with a whip, doing kinky gay sex.:eek::doh:

"cross dresser" brings to mind a guy trying very much to look and act like a real woman.:daydreaming::heehee:

Loni

This is my opinion too.

The term transvestite is clinical sounding and usually is thought of as a sickness. The newer term crossdresser or cross dresser (never know what spelling is right...my spell check says 'crossdresser is incorrect) anyway, it sounds less clinical and nicer to me. I do not like the word transvestite.

Also this one...

Well it seems the mind does play tricks with us. Since transvestite and cross dresser are virtually the same thing from different origins the way we feel about those terms comes from either our own minds or from the social milieu we come from and is not contained within the words themselves. Objectively there is no difference at all.

I say use whichever term feels better and get over those preconceived notions built into our own minds.

And this one! You girls all beet me to the good answers!
:hugs:

Wen4cd
04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
While it might seem that the terms are almost interchangable, (and while it is also often quite laughable and amusing to see what definitive distinctions people here come up with,) I think the thing is that 'transvestite' just has a slightly more grotesque connotation than does 'crossdresser.' 'Transvestite' is an older word, with a long history of imagery and usage, and a lot more connotative associations.

Rianna Humble
04-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I have often wondered why the term crossdresser has been adopted by this "community" rather than transvestite.

Even though etymologically the two terms are very similar, I don't really like ...ite or ...tic words - they try to define pwople in terms of one aspect of their person.

Although I come from Europe where the term is less well received, I prefer to say "I cross-dress" rather than "I am a transvestite". However, I have had people from this country tell me that CD is a dirty word and I am really a transvestite.

I maintain that I am not defined by what I do any more than by what ails me. First and foremost, I am a human being. Any other label is just trying to reduce me to what someone else wants me to be. That is why I refuse to be "a diabetic" although I do "have diabetes".

Why don't we just use labels for what they are best used for - sending stuff through the post?

Jessy
04-18-2010, 11:42 AM
I often wondered this too, so I once looked it up. Travesty is indeed a much older word, but often related to sexual fetishism. In the USA apparently a group of people found they didn't belong in this term, and came up with the term crossdressing, for people who just like dressing in cloths of the opposite sex without some sexual motivation.

I don't know if this goes for all Europe, but in my region the term crossdressing is completely unknown. It's all defined as travesty, and unfortunately travesty does have the same image to the outside world as it does in the USA (fetishism, "over-the-top" as someone said before). I think it might actually make crossdressers here more uncomfortable and closeted, because I can't seem to find any communities or groups about them. And it's hard to believe there aren't any...

Soriya
04-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I feel the same an I don't really know why.

I kind think perhaps it's because of one, the media and stereo type that goes along with it as well as the word Tranny. For me, what makes the word Transvestite a crappy description besides that is the 'vestite' part. Transgender to me sounds more of a fit where as Transvestite sounds more of a sickness. Just my opinion on the wording used.

sissystephanie
04-18-2010, 12:26 PM
I consider myself to be a CROSSDRESSER for one main reason! Transvestite is a slang term created by the Media years ago. The word was used to describe men who dressed as women for the purpose of having sex. That was, and still is, the only real definition of that word.

Since I crossdress only because I like the feel, fit, and look of feminine clothes, I do not fit the definition of a Transvestite. I believe that many of the people on this forum also will not fit the definition! But really, who cares about labels? I know what I am, by my own definition, and I will stick with that!

t-girlxsophie
04-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Before I came on here,and similar sites,I always considered myself a Transvestite,never seen It as having any negative connotations,but it seems to be a dirty word to some,Personally I dont mind either that or "crossdresser"
as long as it's not said to your detriment,I dont think we should be hung up on labels.

Jolene
04-18-2010, 12:37 PM
A Rose by any other name, would it not smell as sweet? Call me a cross dresser, Transvestite, or guy in a dress, I just don't see the difference. When it gets down to it, anyone that has a problem with cross dressers is not going to care what you call it, they are still going to think of you as some kind of pervert, and the ones that don't have a problem with it, well I say let them call it what ever they feel comfortable with.

I do not like the word, Transvestite, but this mostly says it for me. This is something I do and I would never expect anyone in my world to understand this about me but it would be nice someday if they would.

kellycan27
04-18-2010, 01:32 PM

On one hand we say how unfair it is to us that society wants to label people as 100 % male or 100% female and there is no room for us, then on the other hand we try to label ourselves. We are so concerned about whether we are transsexuals, crossdressers, transgender, transsexual, etc.

I say let’s just be us. Let’s forget worrying about labels and be the person we are inside. Lets live our lives and just be happy being us. :daydreaming:

We use labels in here so that others will know where we are in the spectrum. I think it's helpful in order that we understand the different mind sets or our fellow travelers. Other than that IMO labels are meaningless, and not worth giving any extra thought to. I have already wasted too much time addressing this :lol2:

Kel

Nigella
04-18-2010, 01:47 PM
I am both but I am neither

Both simply because someone somewhere wants to fit me into a nice little pigeon hole so they can find me.

Neither because the only label I have is Nigella.

Kate Lynn
04-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Does androgynous straight male with his own taste in clothing and style count?

Julie Gaum
04-18-2010, 02:25 PM
I can read considerable emotion in some of the answers while others are close to the mark. The dictionary is a living document with meanings changing based on the frequency of usage. While "transvestite" is merely the Latin word for
CD, over the last 10 to 15 years heterosexual CDs who do
not dress 24/7 for any length of time feel more comfortable
using "crossdressing" while those who dress all the time
as the opposite gender are more frequently labeled by CDs as transvestites. It has nothing to so with reasons for being
a CD as that can entail fetishes or other sexual or none sexual origins. On the other hand "Tranny" is generally misused by the general public to include every kind of CD but it really stems from the word "transexual" both pre and post-op.
Why are labels important at all? Only because, if the heterosexual CD community ever hopes to become accepted in our Western Society then that society must understand what makes us tick.
I'm adding a chapter to a published book of mine. That chapter will be called "Myths, Fallicies and Therapists Without a Clue" to make some sense out of it all.
Julie

Staci G
04-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Crossdresser= Someone that dresses in a crosswalk

Tranny= Gears in a car or truck that turn to make the vehicle go in a direction.

Transvestite= The vest of a traveling suit that is just too tight.

*******= A term used when you get email from your wife or female SO.

I think I am just a guy that wants to wear what I like and thats it. Labels are great on food products but on people they tend to put us into a box.
I do accept the term crossdresser but I dont like it because as has been pointed out in another post, we crossdress because we are "into it" and our wives or SO might wear our shirt or something because it is comfortable. I would like to submit I am very comfortable in a skirt and blouse even moreso in a dress because they are comfortable.

Gemgbh66
04-18-2010, 02:34 PM
If wearing the clothes of "oppsite sex" then all females are crossdressers.

Sandra
04-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Really.....I'm a female and I can assure you that I am NOT a crossdresser

autumn59
04-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I know I have a probelem with the term tranny because there are a lot of trans people in broader community who see the term as an epithet.

I don't mind at all when people use the term as a self identifying term, or as a group term applied to people who identify themselves as trannies. Think in terms of parallels of many in the lesbian, gay, and bisexual portions of the LGBT community who now use the term queer -- If you meet people who were out as lesbian, gay, or bisexual in the '70's and '80's, most of them still hear the term queer as an epithet.

I also think of tranny in terms of the in intercommunity term. African-Americans use the n-word between each other, and gays use the gay f-word between each other, but these words are considered offensive to African-Americans and gayswhen people who are not African-American or gay use these terms to decribe them.

And even if one doesn't personally take offense to the term tranny -- or even transvestite -- considering the thoughts and feelings of those in our community who identify as trans and do find those terms offensive should be something we should consider when we use the terms ourselves.

Wen4cd
04-18-2010, 03:02 PM

I like how wikipedia puts it, I forget exactly the phrasing, but it's basically:

"Crossdressing is wearing the clothes of the apparent opposite sex, because they are the clothes of the opposite sex."

Michelia
04-18-2010, 03:04 PM

If you think about the historical meaning and origins of the word, it really is what I am. The fact it gets more associated with the "Rocky Horror" phenomenon and sex these days is quite unfortunate. Crossdresser is really a term that develeped as a euphemism for the work transvetite for those of us that wanted to be defined a little more benignly in an attempt to shed those modern connotations.

It is true that crossdresser is more of an American word.

I am what I am and if you want to call me a tranvestite, I am OK with it. I feel no need to whitewash what I am.

Blaire
04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Transvestite is slang?? Hoe-down is slang for a dance. "crib" is slang for a place of residence. Transvestite is latin for, strictly translated, cross (trans) dress (vestīre) [the change to the "ite" ending shows one-who-is, as opposed one-who-does]. "Tranny", at least as used in the adult film industry, would be slang for transexual.

The issues come in the common usage - wander the adult section and see the real definition of a word get lost in its naughty uses. Perception overrides definition.

The issue I think is not so much in what to call us, but in how much we care about what someone calls us. Like it as not, we need labels - everyone wants to belong somewhere. What we don't need is a bunch of in-fighting over this label or that one - it shouldn't really matter.

Specifically answering the initial question of "Crossdresser or Transvestite?" Yes.

Lover girl
04-18-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't care to much for Lables myself. I'm a crossdresser and there ts no question about that. Transvestite does seem to me to have sexual condonations. I feel great when I dress in womans cothing and do it as often as possible. We are all human beings with a right to dress as I see fit and should not be looked down at as dirty or weird or freek show. I guess that crossdresser would be better than transvestite!!!!!! I love you girls!!!!:2c:

mapletree
04-18-2010, 03:46 PM
wow -- another lable or lables that will always be inclusive while excluding by nature of its intent to be descriptive
as a canadian i live in multi cultural world where definitions are blurred by cullture and language barriers so for me percise deifintions ( and these definitions do have value ) must be tempered by each social situation

SummerJ
04-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Transvestite is slang?? Hoe-down is slang for a dance. "crib" is slang for a place of residence. Transvestite is latin for, strictly translated, cross (trans) dress (vestīre) [the change to the "ite" ending shows one-who-is, as opposed one-who-does]. "Tranny", at least as used in the adult film industry, would be slang for transexual.

The issues come in the common usage - wander the adult section and see the real definition of a word get lost in its naughty uses. Perception overrides definition.

The issue I think is not so much in what to call us, but in how much we care about what someone calls us. Like it as not, we need labels - everyone wants to belong somewhere. What we don't need is a bunch of in-fighting over this label or that one - it shouldn't really matter.

Specifically answering the initial question of "Crossdresser or Transvestite?" Yes.

Yes. (i was going to point out the literal Latin translation, but it looks like you beat me to it)

I actually wasn't aware that there was any kind of preference against the word... but then again, I haven't hung out with very many crossdressers.

I think in a lot of peoples minds they equate transvestism with transvestic fetishism which really aren't strictly the same.

I have had a friend call me a tranny, but I didn't take offense to it at all.

I think the moral of the story is that words mean different things to different people and its important to be sensitive of that.

Blaire
04-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I think the moral of the story is that words mean different things to different people and its important to be sensitive of that.

Or just as important - to not be overly sensitive to that :)

Rebecca Petersen
04-18-2010, 03:59 PM
We the people of the United States in order to form a more acceptable term, yata, yata, yata.
If memory serves me correctly, around 1990 or 1991 our gender community, mainly the formal organized groups and their members were under the impression that transvestite sounded way too clinical, fetishistic, and NASTY.
Crossdresser was easier for not only us, but the outside world to understand and didn't bring to mind the image of a guy with a crew cut, stockings and heels. Even though in some cases that may have been true.
Recently we've been renamed to transgendered...I guess.
So, that means I been three different things in the last twenty years, but I'm still doing the same thing.
Guess the whole thing falls under the heading of political correctness.:D

Barbara Dugan
04-18-2010, 04:06 PM
they mean the same to me, I like transvestite better

Rianna Humble
04-18-2010, 04:27 PM

Really.....I'm a female and I can assure you that I am NOT a crossdresser

If you defined yourself in the way that Shania Twain does in "that song", you would be:
"Man's shirt, short skirt, man, I feel like a woman!"

But really, who cares what we call ourselves, why can't we agree that we are human and leave it at that?

Wen4cd
04-18-2010, 04:27 PM
they mean the same to me, I like transvestite better

Yeah, 'transvestite' does now have a sort of growing post-modern connotation these days of: 'hey, here's me not sugar-coating anything for the likes of you." It probably works best on people whom you've known for a time, to juxtapose their experienced perceptions of 'you' with their pre-conceived notions of 'transvestite."

In cases like that, or with certain types of people who quickly pick up on that kind of thing, saying 'crossdresser' might also seem to say 'transvestite, but ashamed to say it." That little bit of defensiveness that gives away the farm.

Frédérique
04-18-2010, 04:28 PM
While it might seem that the terms are almost interchangable, (and while it is also often quite laughable and amusing to see what definitive distinctions people here come up with,) I think the thing is that 'transvestite' just has a slightly more grotesque connotation than does 'crossdresser.'

Here in this country it does, although I have read some posts going against this assessment in this very thread. :o Live and learn, I suppose. As a benchmark for “transvestite,” I use Eddie Izzard (English, hello?), since he declares himself to be one every chance he gets. He even differentiates between various types of transvestites in his act. He “fancies girls” (are you paying attention, Stephanie?), can slip in or out of drab with equal aplomb, and just in general enjoys being a transvestite. The fact that he doesn’t take ANYTHING too seriously also helps…:doh:

I consider myself to be a CROSSDRESSER for one main reason! Transvestite is a slang term created by the Media years ago. The word was used to describe men who dressed as women for the purpose of having sex. That was, and still is, the only real definition of that word.

I was waiting for you to chime in with your patented “I am not a homosexual” declaration. You have chosen to adopt this definition, allegedly put forth by the media, because it neatly fits how YOU feel. I get it, OK? Both words in question have many meanings, and they have been twisted over time to fit nearly every situation, like it or not…

If you think about the historical meaning and origins of the word, it really is what I am. The fact it gets more associated with the "Rocky Horror" phenomenon and sex these days is quite unfortunate. Crossdresser is really a term that develeped as a euphemism for the work transvetite for those of us that wanted to be defined a little more benignly in an attempt to shed those modern connotations.

Yeah, there was a thread about the film not too long ago, and I was going to say that I have never seen it – I know OF it, of course, but it doesn’t interest me, probably because the featured transvestite is at odds with my idea of a crossdresser. It’s a vast ocean of variation out there, and I can’t like everything, you know. Crossdresser may simply be another one of those modern euphemisms, like “sanitary landfill” for dump, “senior citizen” for old, and “sunshine units” for radiation…:eek:

Barbara Jo
04-18-2010, 04:44 PM
I've always said (half in jest) that a crossdresser is someone who wont admitt that they are a transvestite.

I've also been aware that some take offence at being called a TV for simply because of the somewhat negitive way they are portrayed in "the media"

Personally, I think both CDs and TVs "dress" for the same reasons but the term CD is rarely used in the media in favor of TV.

Sewing_Sophie
04-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Reasons for preferring "transvestite":

1) More of a UK thing
2) Eddie Izzard
3) Sounds more exciting
3a) Sort of implies that there's more to it than just the clothes somehow
4) You can make puns about "TV night"
5) A "trans-" word like transgendered, transsexual - it emphasises the connection with (other) trans people
5a) There are at least two jokes that start "what's the difference between a transvestite and a transsexual"
6) Apparently Magnus Hirschfeld, the person who first coined the term, was very nice about us when he wrote about us - or so it says in My Husband Betty
7) One of my friends came up with the word "cisvestite" for a person who doesn't crossdress, I was amused by that
8) Everything sounds better in Latin
9) Did I mention Eddie Izzard?

Reasons for preferring "crossdresser":

1) crossdressers.com
2) Seems to be a better search term for finding useful information, books, etc.
3) The mental image I get of a transvestite is far too Rocky Horror for my liking - crossdresser sounds more wholesome
4) You can make puns about CDs, none are as exciting as TV night though
5) It just says what you are without too many connotations

Sometimes I'm in the mood for one, sometimes I'm in the mood for the other, most of the time I'd rather just be me.

Vicki-Z
04-18-2010, 05:49 PM

We use labels in here so that others will know where we are in the spectrum. I think it's helpful in order that we understand the different mind sets or our fellow travelers. Other than that IMO labels are meaningless, and not worth giving any extra thought to. I have already wasted too much time addressing this :lol2:

Kel

Hi Kelly how are you? Hope things are going well for you. I think you and I have basically the same thoughts on this topic.

I agree with you that labels are useful to know where we and others are on the spectrum and it helps us to understand where we each are in our walk. I should have mentioned this in my original post.

I just don't like seeing us being so serious about terminology because I feel we're behaving too much like society. I for one can't fully be fit into a label. I guess the closest label for me would be non-op transexual. Do I fit totally into that label no I don't.

Instead of worrying about what label I am I rather concentrate my energy on learning more about me and who I really am inside. :daydreaming:

Vicki :hugs:

Rachel Morley
04-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I know I have a problem with the term tranny because there are a lot of trans people in broader community who see the term as an epithet.

That word, in the LGBT community, is viewed (and rightly so) as the gender equivilant of the N word in racial parlance.

This is what I thought too. "Tranny" I thought, was the TG community "taking back" a previously "unkind term" to describe themselves, just like African Americans have taken back the "n-word". But then again, I also heard that in some circles (mainly the US I believe) "tranny" is becoming short for "transgendered" not "transvestite" .... it's all very confusing, don't you think? Location has a factor too as I think transvestite is more socially acceptable in the UK and the rest of Europe, than in the US ... or so I'm lead to believe.

3) The mental image I get of a transvestite is far too Rocky Horror for my liking - crossdresser sounds more wholesome.

I agree, I don't know why, but when I think of the word transvestite I think of a sharp sexualized image akin to Rocky Horror type images, whereas crossdresser seems softer, nicer, and less threatening to me. I know, for myself I hate being called a transvestite. I can almost endure tranny if I tell myself it means transgendered but crossdresser is my preferred choice of description, given the choice. :2c:

Sewing_Sophie
04-19-2010, 01:48 AM
"Tranny" I thought, was the TG community "taking back" a previously "unkind term" to describe themselves, just like African Americans have taken back the "n-word". But then again, I also heard that in some circles (mainly the US I believe) "tranny" is becoming short for "transgendered" not "transvestite" .... it's all very confusing, don't you think?

The ambiguity over "tranny" is, to me, a reason not to join in with the taking back - I'm not a TS, so it feels a bit wrong to take back a word that's often used to refer to them, even if it's often used to refer to us, too.

RachelPortugal
04-19-2010, 02:02 AM
I did start to multi-quote on some points but soon realised my post would be very long. A few common points seem to have been addressed.

Labels - yes I too hate labels. We are all individuals.

US vs Europe - in the main, one term is favoured in different regions.

Media - don't they try to spoil everyones' fun.

"Tranny" - well I am showing my age here, because I thought it was an abbreviation for transistorised radio. How times change?

I am also a naturist, or am I a nudist - we have the same problems with labels in that community. The Germans use "free body culture" which does exactly what it says on the packet.

Rachael

girlalex
04-19-2010, 02:29 AM
from the comments it appears that the difference between a crossdresser and a transvestite is different for everyone since most of us seem to associate the terms with how we personally view them based on our life experience. there are places where transvestite doesn't have the same meaning as a cross dresser and so we base our opinion upon how the term is viewed in our environment. but i personally think that well... if someone asks me then i guess my answer would be that im a crossdresser because im a transvestite. not because im an actor or a female impersonator or someone who likes to wear female clothing.:2c:

Freddy12
04-19-2010, 05:14 AM
For me, crossdresser is the prefered term.

It describes what I like to do, and I feel that there are not the sexual connotations I think our society places on the term transvestite. It just sounds kinder and gentler. I guess that there's no really good reason for my feeling this way, but I do.

Elizabeth 66
04-19-2010, 05:51 AM
I in my understanding, and doing some research, there is a small difference between a Cross-dresser and a Transvestite.

A Cross dresser is someone who dresses in the style of manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex.

A Transvestite is someone who dresses and acts in a style or manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex.

Just my :2c:

zoe m
04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
"Transvestite" is just the Latin version of "crossdresser." Transvestite has as full a range of meanings as crossdresser, no it's not just the fetish image or the person who does it for sex. In Spanish-speaking countries "travesti" is the only word that exists, and it refers to all kinds of different people and communities whose only trait in common is that they habitually wear clothes of the opposite sex, either occasionally or permanently, for all kinds of reasons, though of course what general society most associates it with is sex or prostitution. I know some people are starting to use the English "crossdresser" but I think that's kinda silly.

The truth is, both terms are very negatively loaded, because society has a very bad perception of the whole thing. That's just the way it is. Neither term by itself is gonna save us, only what we do with them and how we are able to change society's perception of crossdressing.

That said, I personally feel that transvestite and crossdresser should be reserved for people who do it part-time, and transgender along with transsexual should be for people who do it full time or who intend to, and who want to switch over to and identify with the other gender (regardless of whether they have SRS, what matters is how you live your life). Those are two poles that are far apart from each other. Of course, then there are a whole range of people who fall on different points along the spectrum between those two poles.

gigiluv
04-19-2010, 02:35 PM
I read PortiaHoney's reply, copied it and pasted it into my word processor. I will keep it forever. That is the most perfect description of why I do what I do. I am a woman that must go through this world with a penis.

Ok, I can do that. Thanks PortiaHoney

tricia_uktv
04-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Ha-ha, read my last blog "The meaning of life". I'm just a t-girl so what do I know,

Hugs

Rianna Humble
04-19-2010, 04:33 PM
I am also a naturist, or am I a nudist - we have the same problems with labels in that community.

:eek: A cross-dressing nudist? The mind boggles :heehee:

sherri52
04-19-2010, 08:12 PM
The term transvestite generally signifies that the person is gay and for many CD'ers we are not. Crossdressing means just that dressing in teh clothing of the opposite gender. Some may be gay, some straight, and others bisexual but nothing is writen in stone

Michelia
04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
I've always said (half in jest) that a crossdresser is someone who wont admitt that they are a transvestite.

I like this. Tee hee.

RachelPortugal
04-20-2010, 01:58 AM
:eek: A cross-dressing nudist? The mind boggles :heehee:

Yes it may seem strange, but I do know one other cross-dressing nudist.

My preferences are:

1, No clothes (I wear sarongs to quickly cover up for unexpected visitors).
2, Femme clothes.
3, Drab clothes.

Rachael

willowgurl
04-20-2010, 08:57 AM
I think of myself as a transvestite, and welcome all the connotations that go with that term, cause that's who I am.

carolinoakland
04-20-2010, 09:26 AM
As part of the outreach presentations we cover definitions. Crossdressing is the term used to describe a typically ( but not always!) hetero male ( but not always!) who enjoys dressing the clothing of the opposite gender. A transvestite is the clinical term for a typically ( but not always!) hetero male ( but not always) who enjoys wearing the clothing of the opposite gender for the purpose of sexual stimulation.

The above prove's my statement about trying to describe the Transgender community.
" All poodles are dogs. But not all dogs are poodles."

And I to view the T word as the N word for the Transgender community.

Just my two cents.

Annaliese2010
04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Crossdresser: Umbrella (non-specific) generic term ~ anyone who crossdresses.

Simple CD (Transvestite): Wears opposite-gender clothes; no significant inward identification as the opposite gender; a man in woman's clothing, but acts behaves thinks feels like a man. The reasons for crossdressing are many and variable, ranging from innocent fun and thrill seeking to an overriding compulsion to do so, although other than the wearing of female clothing there is no significant need desire or tendancy to act, think or feel in a female manner. A simple CD may behave female while crossdressed, this is a conscious act, a conceit, or willful, controlled form of acting out for any number of reasons such as to heighten sexual pleasure. However such behavior is contrived. It is not 'natural' in the sense that it is for truly transgendered individuals i.e. the behavior does not seemlessly flow from a genuinely female center. The inner state of being remains definitively male, even though one may try to convince oneself otherwise for whatever reason(s).

Transgendered : Man who has a legitimate i.e. natural (not forced, faked or merely imagined) female indwelling to such an extent that he thinks feels and acts in ways that are definitively feminine - to one degree or another. A 1st degree (1°) transgendered individual has a < 50% female flavor to his natural character (typically Non-Op; no intention of sexual reassignment by surgical methods); someone who is transgendered to the 2nd degree (2°) (typically Non-Op or Pre-Op) has about 50 % female self-identification. Many from this category take the steps require to prepare for sexual reassignment by surgical methods or at least seriously consider it; many others however do not intend to go the surgical route; a 3rd degree (3°) transgendered (typically Pre-Op) have inside them a profoundly female subjective presence, one that is overriding in influence and well dominant over any male-like character that may or may not coexist; most of these individuals will undergo sexual reassignment by surgical means, or wish they were able to.

Transsexual : Post-Op transgendered individuals exhibit the greatest degree of femininity within and without.

RachelPortugal
04-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Crossdresser: Umbrella (non-specific) generic term ~ anyone who crossdresses.

Simple CD (Transvestite): ..........

Thanks for these quite full definitions. I can understand the umbrella concept.

I, myself, fall into the first category Simple CD but the "simple" connotaion had other meanings in my language, in terms of lack of intelligence. So I think I prefer the bracketed term Transvestite.

I am a transvestite (TV). I am not simple and I am not a television either.:D

Rachael

Chickhe
04-21-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't like being cast as either. What is do sometimes is wear women's clothing... it is not who I am, it is one thing I do. The word crossdressing describes what I do, but I am not a crossdresser. I also do woodworking and I am not a woodworker and I do welding, but I am not a welder. ...does that make sense?

Elizabeth 66
04-21-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't know about this, from my knowledge and what i have read, in the definition of the two words, a cross-dresser is someone who just dresses in clothes that were intended for the opposite sex, and they are not trying to look or act like someone of that gender, a transvestite however also try's to look like a someone of the opposite sex and to act like one while they are dressed. that is my interpretation of what i have read,

However i feel that people should feel free to be what they want, and to dress and act however they feel they want to without labels or stigmas attached to them. But if someone feels more comfortable calling themselves cross-dresser than transvestite or visa versa, then why should we be bothered or even think that it is our business, that is the good thing about this site, we all get along together and don't judge.

That is my take on things, right or wrong it doesn't matter its just an opinion.

Katesback
04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
If you read the definition of transgender you will find that CDs fall under the word.

I use transgender all the time since I work with a lot of trans people and I really dont care if they are cd, ts, or whatever. They are trans and that is all that counts.

Katie

t-girlxsophie
04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Like I have already said earlier in this Thread before I came on sites like this I always considered myself a Transvestite,never saw anything negative in that,now I am astounded how disgusted ppl are with the word "Transvestite",I think that it is over-reaction in the extreme.

Recently self confessed Transvestite Eddie Izzard completed an astounding 46 marathons in only 30 days,the subject of him being a TV was brought up positively on many occasions,To me this was a very positive step in peoples perceptions of the CD/TV Community,showing us in a positive light,Does the fact he labels himself as a Transvestite lessen his achievements in any way.Of course not.

And for goodness sake the T word does not equates with the N word,in no way,shape or form,thats just my:2c:worth

Annaliese2010
04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
More than anything else, the ability to use words is what makes us different from any other animal in the world. To be able to represent (re-present) or assign a word to an object, a person, an event or experience is a very powerful thing indeed. It means you can re-experience that thing without it being immediately present. Merely thinking the word 'orange' can evoke its shape color size and maybe even make your mouth water. Without being anywhere near a real orange and even after much time has passed since you last saw held or ate an orange you are able to re-experience the thing that is an orange by virtue of your ability for symbolic thought. Or you can take a word which represents one thing and put it next to, opposite of, or in combination with other words that are the symbolic representations of other things. The symbolic representation of things is itself the very basis of thought and language. It's what allows us to reason, learn, have new ideas, gain insight, and understand the world, other people and ourselves as individuals. It is what advances our personal lives and our species as a whole. But words must have clear definitions before one can think reasonable thoughts. Thus the importance of word definition. Not every word has a single meaning, in fact the same word can mean widely divergent things depending on context. Also, the more complex the 'thing' the more difficult it is to label in an unambiguous way. Human behavior definitely falls into this category. If there is no one organization, scientific discipline, congressionally mandated law or other generally accepted authoritative source that defines specific terminology for these kinds of things, then they are used by different people to mean different things and misunderstanding and miscommunication can result.

When it comes to something so variable and complex as cross-genderism or crossdressing there probably isn't one word that can be used to categorically represent the entire community or any of its sub-sets because of the many variables present as they relate to 'how' and 'why'. The down side of words is that they are symbols and as such can never capture or describe that which they are supposed to represent. And when it comes to something so complex as crossdressing and transgendered people, no one word can adequately represent who and all the different ways why's and wherefores. Oddly enough, this is exactly why there is a more important need for accurately defined 'labels'. It is the only way to more fully understand ourselves individually and as members of a community that is itself diverse in so many ways with respect the people who comprise it, let alone how we relate to the greater surrounding mass of people who are by their constitution more homogeneous than different, and in whose midst we shall forever be an island paradise. Words that more clearly represent who you are, what you're like, your motives and reasons, and how you are alike and different from other crossdressers would only help in this regard. I tried to take a little baby step in that direction by the definitions suggested above.

Words are a powerful and convenient tool but they can never fully define or describe the thing they're supposed to represent no matter how simple that thing is, let alone something as complex as guys who are girls and vice verse. Lets face it, the exceptionally gendered are a very special lot. Words as symbols can only hint at that which they represent. They are sign-posts that point to the bigger reality. You cannot completely know anything just by describing it or studying it. You have to look at, smell, feel and taste an orange to really know it.

RachelPortugal
04-22-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't like being cast as either. What I do sometimes is wear women's clothing... it is not who I am, it is one thing I do. The word crossdressing describes what I do, but I am not a crossdresser. I also do woodworking and I am not a woodworker and I do welding, but I am not a welder. ...does that make sense?

A good point. I, too, don't like be cast. we are after all indivduals.

Linguistically, there is no verb associated with the noun transvestite, one cannot "transvest". To say that one dresses in clothes of the opposite sex is longwinded so a literal definition of transvestite would give us the noun crossdresser (is it with or without a hyphen? - maybe that depends on your spellchecker). So out of that new noun was born a new verb - to crossdress.

Maybe transvestite has a more permanent or full-time sense, a way of life, but crossdressing can include it as a part-time habit or activity, a hobby even!

If I have to have a label, I still prefer transvestite to crossdresser.

Rachael

Emily L
04-22-2010, 01:44 AM
A good point. I, too, don't like be cast. we are after all indivduals.

Linguistically, there is no verb associated with the noun transvestite, one cannot "transvest"....

Rachael

I say we start using the verb "transvest" in our everyday conversations. How's that for a neologism?

"I transvested last night, and I loved it!"

faltenrock
04-22-2010, 02:29 AM
does it matter, I don't like labels at all. I'm a CD and mostly a regular nice guy who loves to wear femme clothes, which I enjoy very much.

Victoria Satin
04-22-2010, 06:56 AM
I just consider myself a crossdresser. Male but trying to look as feminine as possible.

Victoria:battingeyelashes:

Samantha B L
04-22-2010, 05:53 PM
It was still "transvestite" in the seventies. In 1979 I read the term "crossdresser" in a book and in several texts in a nearby college campus library. "Crossdresser" sounds more acceptable when conducting serious business. "Transvestite" sounds sexy but kind of depraved and slovenly. I prefer "transvestite" but "crossdresser" will get us a lot further politically and socially and so many people have come to use "crossdresser" in the past 25-30 years. It's the term I use most often to make myself understood and I find that people react a little bit more cordially to me if I say "crossdresser" instead of "transvestite".

Andrea Reynolds
04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
When did we stop being transvestites?
That would be May 16,1974, at 2:12 pm. Didn't you get the memo? Andrea

Jane Douglas
04-22-2010, 09:28 PM
terms like

Loni

When I've been asked whether I'm a CD or TV I ask what's the difference? - typically answer is CD's are 'part time' while TV's are 'full time' in which case I answer "then I'm a CD". But based on Loni's definition - I'm both!

jenifer m.
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
i like crossdresser because thats what i do i flip back and forth,and sometimes i mix masculin,and feminine so crossdress fits me better.

Pepper2783
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
See I feel as you do. Transvestite is the proper term. Cross dresser is not. People here have issues and inner turmoil. Transvestite is some times confused for transsexual. I understand that I get it. People are dumb. What can you do.

But transvestite is who I am. I don't cross anything when, I DRESS LIKE A FREAKING WOMAN ! I think and act like a woman when I am in that mode. Thats why people get me angry. It's who you are get over and love you'r self man!

For get other people be proud BE A TRANSVESTITE !

NOW FOR THE LAST TIME START ACTING LIKE A WOMAN !

Transvestite : a person and especially a male who adopts the dress and often the behavior typical of the opposite sex especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification.

Now since I am finding it hard to find a clear definition on crossdresser. Here the Wikipedia definition.

Provided by Wikipedia

Cross-dressing is the wearing of clothing and other accoutrement commonly associated with a gender within a particular society that is seen as different than the one usually presented by the dresser.[1] Cross-dressing has been used for disguise, performance art and as a literary trope in modern times and throughout history.

Nearly every human society throughout history has distinguished between male and female gender by the style, color, or type of clothing they wear and has had a set of norms, views, guidelines, or even laws defining what type of clothing is appropriate for each gender. Cross-dressing runs significantly counter to those norms and, therefore, can be seen as a type of transgender behavior. It does not, however, necessarily indicate transgender identity; a person who cross-dresses does not always identify as being of the opposite gender.

The term cross-dressing denotes an action or a behavior without attributing or proposing causes for that behavior. Some people automatically connect cross-dressing behavior to transgender identity or sexual, fetishist, and homosexual behavior, but the term cross-dressing itself does not imply any motives. However, referring to a person as a cross-dresser suggests that their cross-dressing behavior is habitual and may be taken to mean that the person identifies as transgendered. The term cross-dresser should therefore be used with care to avoid causing misunderstanding or offense.

Karren H
04-22-2010, 10:26 PM
They are the same thing.... and both are user definable, imho... and both are just labels....

Breanne
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
They are the same thing.... and both are user definable, imho... and both are just labels....

And both mean exactly the same thing.

Trans = Latin for 'cross'
Vestite = Latin for 'dresser'

Hence, crossdresser, transvestite, same thing!

Joanne f
04-23-2010, 02:18 AM
They both mean the same thing , they have just played about with the wording to make them sound different meanings.

Lynn Marie
04-23-2010, 02:26 AM
Didn't we just do this one?

I love the term crossdresser among my friends here and elsewhere. It's a friendly term that conveys exactly what we do but not who we are. It just seems more accurate than transvestite which seems to be a term our detractors would rather use because of it's negative connotations.

Deborah Jane
04-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Transvestite or Crossdresser?
This question comes up pretty regularly here, they are both labels nothing more. It's up to each individual what you call yourself.

Me?....Just call me Debs :)

RachelPortugal
04-23-2010, 02:34 AM
I say we start using the verb "transvest" in our everyday conversations. How's that for a neologism?

"I transvested last night, and I loved it!"

Good idea, maybe it will make it into the dictionary some day. It's a verb in Spanish and vest is also a verb in English, not that it is common usage in respect of wearing clothes now, so why not transvest.

I am looking forward to the next time I transvest.

Weather's good here, so I am in naturist mode. (No verb for that activity, or is there?) LOL

Rachael

Mirani
04-23-2010, 02:47 AM
And the point of this thread is ?

Oh, thanks Wikepedia. I am now fully informed.

(Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but sometimes it just works!)

RachelPortugal
04-23-2010, 03:01 AM
And the point of this thread is ?

Oh, thanks Wikepedia. I am now fully informed.

(Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but sometimes it just works!)

Post count?

Rachael

Mirani
04-23-2010, 03:19 AM
Weather's good here, so I am in naturist mode. (No verb for that activity, or is there?) LOL

Rachael

"Divest" ???

Phyliss
04-23-2010, 03:20 AM
How about this?, "A wearer of pretty clothes" No connotation of why, just what is done. OK so we add a bit of padding and do a bit of cinching to have the clothing hang right, maybe add some nice shoes, having heels on them causes our lower limbs to look better. Oh, and perhaps we should decorate our ears with something shiny, and maybe a little makeup to assist the facial features. perhaps a head covering of some kind. The end of our upper limbs really requires some sort of color.

OMG :eek: :eek: :eek: ... I'M A CROSSDRESSER, what have I done???

Ms Jennifer
04-23-2010, 03:51 AM
:love:Ok I fine with either label.Since people have preconceived notions anyway.:brolleyes:Call me me what you want, but make sure you call me to go shopping for something girly:daydreaming:

t-girlxsophie
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
OMG Not this again.as they say where I come from,This is doing my nut in,Transvestite or Crossdresser it really doesn't matter I dont mind either description,we dont need to label ourselves at every turn do we? Everyone that doesn't understand us does that enough.

docrobbysherry
04-23-2010, 11:11 AM
U say, " potahto", I say, " potayto"! Both r great with butter, chives, and a steak!:brolleyes:

Joanne f
04-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I have been surprised to learn that there is a difference and it is quite straight forward and simple.
If you dress and wear stockings then you are a transvestite whereas if you wear tights then you are a cross dresser unless the stockings are of a greater denier than that of what a cross dresser would normally wear you then become a cross dresser the same as if the cross dresser wears stockings of a greater denier than that of what a transvestite would wear then you become a transvestite but if a transvestite wears cotton panties instead of nylon panties then they revert to a cross dresser and the same go`s if a cross dresser wears nylon panties instead of cotton panties then they revert to being a transvestite , but this can slightly complicate things if the transvestite wears cotton panties with a lower denier of stockings to that normally worn then they become a cross dresser but if a cross dresser wear nylon panties with a lower denier tights to that which is normally worn they stay a cross dresser, cross dressers will wear high heeled shoes unless they just happen to be wearing lower heeled shoes at some time and a transvestite will wear any shoes unless they like one particular style , transvestites will wear makeup unless they happen to not have any on whereas cross dressers will not wear makeup unless they happen to have some on , so the difference is really quite simple and straight forward which i must admit surprised me :straightface:

Laura Jane
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm not a Crossdresser, I'm normally very calm!

RachelPortugal
04-24-2010, 01:45 AM
I have been surprised to learn that there is a difference and it is quite straight forward and simple.
If you dress and wear stockings then you are a transvestite whereas if you wear tights then you are a cross dresser unless the stockings are of a greater denier than that of what a cross dresser would normally wear you then become a cross dresser the same as if the cross dresser wears stockings of a greater denier than that of what a transvestite would wear then you become a transvestite but if a transvestite wears cotton panties instead of nylon panties then they revert to a cross dresser and the same go`s if a cross dresser wears nylon panties instead of cotton panties then they revert to being a transvestite , but this can slightly complicate things if the transvestite wears cotton panties with a lower denier of stockings to that normally worn then they become a cross dresser but if a cross dresser wear nylon panties with a lower denier tights to that which is normally worn they stay a cross dresser, cross dressers will wear high heeled shoes unless they just happen to be wearing lower heeled shoes at some time and a transvestite will wear any shoes unless they like one particular style , transvestites will wear makeup unless they happen to not have any on whereas cross dressers will not wear makeup unless they happen to have some on , so the difference is really quite simple and straight forward which i must admit surprised me :straightface:

Got it, I think! Just one question, I prefer bare legs. How do I stand in that situation?

Rachael

Joanne f
04-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Got it, I think! Just one question, I prefer bare legs. How do I stand in that situation?

Rachael

That`s OK just go ahead and complicate things :heehee:
( just looked it up and it said that bare legs means there could be a good possibility that you are transgender unless you wear a bra to match your panties then you become a TV but if you wear your panties to match your bra then you will be CD ) :straightface:

Rianna Humble
04-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I prefer bare legs. How do I stand in that situation?

I usually find the best way to stand is on both feet :heehee:

RachelPortugal
04-24-2010, 04:07 PM

Heels or flats?:doh:

Rachael

Rianna Humble
04-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Preferably 4" stilettos, otherwise 3" wedges - flats are no fun, rather go barefoot (in warm weather of course)

Christina2008
04-24-2010, 08:22 PM
I used to think TV was more a UK term, where as CD was a US or general worldly term for the same thing.
However I think of myself as a crossdresser, it sounds much prettier and modern.

RachelPortugal
04-25-2010, 01:45 AM
I used to think TV was more a UK term, where as CD was a US or general worldly term for the same thing.
However I think of myself as a crossdresser, it sounds much prettier and modern.

"Modern." Is that just a polite way for a friend, 21 years my junior, to say that I'm a dinosaur. :heehee: Dinosaurs! Maybe I'm a TV-Rex, even though "rex" means king, which got me to thinking. What were female Tyranosauri called?

Preferably 4" stilettos, otherwise 3" wedges - flats are no fun, rather go barefoot (in warm weather of course)

Phew! That covers most of my shoes. Although I do have a couple of pairs with only 2.5" heels.

Rachael

Rianna Humble
04-25-2010, 07:00 AM
"Modern." Is that just a polite way for a friend, 21 years my junior, to say that I'm a dinosaur. :heehee: Dinosaurs! Maybe I'm a TV-Rex, even though "rex" means king, which got me to thinking. What were female Tyranosauri called?

Tyrannosaurus Regina ?

Phew! That covers most of my shoes. Although I do have a couple of pairs with only 2.5" heels.

Rachael

I'm thinking of getting some Barefoot Sandals from eBay for the summer, other than that, when I am being me rather than "him", I don't wear anything below a 3" heel. I don't have any men's shoes at all - "he" has 1 pair with a 1" wedge to use as drabs.

Marla
04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
I just like being Marla

Kaz
04-25-2010, 04:50 PM
The words mean the same. They just have different cultural connotations, hence why Eddie Izzard is happy to be TV... but then he was championing the cause before we heard about the CD label in the UK. Reading the posts, clearly there is an emotional context which relates either to a previously emphasised negative connotation of the TV expression, or a need to move on and claim a more modern view of the world.

I am happy to be whatever (or rather whoever) it is that I am. The need to classify and categorise is important for understanding, but it brings with it its own problems when subcategories arrive... but this is the nature of classification schema.

In the UK we used to have dustmen, but that was deemed demeaning, so we got refuse technicians... then they got outsourced!

Years ago I used to try to find ways to explain what I did when I was a Sales Rep for a Pharma company... then one guy hit between the eyes "I sell drugs!". Never looked back!

I wear women's clothes...

Rianna Humble
04-25-2010, 06:12 PM
I wear women's clothes...

I don't any more, I now wear my clothes instead.

Empress Lainie
04-25-2010, 08:59 PM
AAArghhhh as the pirates say. CD and TV are very confusing terms to me, my view is that if you know you are male and like to wear women's clothes and go out or not in them, you would be either. I can't fathom the sexual aspect of it, but then how would I, since I am for sure FEMALE in the wrong body,and I dress female because I AM, sexual feelings have nothing to do with it for me. I also have female ID and have been employed three times as a gg, 2 times by the federal government for census work.

Crossing, a book by by Deidre McCloskey who began as a crossdresser and had a sexual aspect to her dressing; then had an epiphany and became transexual, going all the way even having 4 voice surgeries, and the colon type vaginal surgery plus breast implants, was very interesting but did not relate to my own journey.

Emily L
04-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Can I be a cross-vestite?

No? *pout* Okay, then.

It's just so hard for me to hear the word "transvestite" and not think of Rocky Horror, that my preference would probably go to "crossdresser". But only just.

AmberLynn
04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I watched a show on this debate a great many year's ago "though I dont remember the name sadly" The "girl" Had gone thru transition and said she considered her self a trans-sexual and further went on to say that a transvestite or tranny was a male that lived as a female 24/7 365 with no intention or desire to actually become a female. And a crossdresser was a male that like to wear womans cloth's

I realize this will restart the debate but im just curies is that or was that ever right? Id see my self as a cd even if i was living 24/7 :heehee:

June Laine
04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Transvestite seems to bring up Rocky horror picture show and xcross dress to seems more in line with dressing up.

RachelPortugal
04-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Can I be a cross-vestite?

No? *pout* Okay, then.

Why not? You can call yourself whatever you like.

Mind you, transdresser might be an apt label for us, as it could be misheard as transgressor. LOL

Rachael

Danielle_cder
04-28-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't know but as far as i am concerned i am a transvestite. I enjoy looking as female as possible but do not want to become one. My dressing is fetishistic, mostly a dress and play.

STEFFICAPRI
05-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm......tough one........I prefer crossdressing I think ..........the term transvestite has a tacky Rocky Horror esque vibe......to wear the other genders clothes is to crossdress and I think personally this best decribes what I enjoy doing.....or are we trying to be female impersonators but not in the drag queen persona...........I think I have confused myself !!!:heehee: