PDA

View Full Version : That was a close shave!

carson
08-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Or was it? No matter how careful I am or how new the blade is, I just never feel like I can get a close enough shave for getting smooth coverage with makeup and hiding my beard shadow. Does anybody have any tips, tricks or ideas? I'd really love some feedback on this! :)

Fallen Angel
08-16-2005, 10:27 PM
i use a quad razor. i shave one way than against the grain as well after that i use cold water on my face to close the pores up

Tamara Croft
08-16-2005, 10:29 PM
i use a quad razor. i shave one way than against the grain as well after that i use cold water on my face to close the pores up*slap* you can't close pores, that's a myth. You can 'minimise' pores... but you can't close them ;)

uknowhoo
08-16-2005, 10:30 PM
My first big nite out dressed (about 5 weeks ago), I thought I'd go to an old-time barber shop for a blade shave. Didn't help, I think I get just as close a shave w/ my regular triple blade razor. Shaving after a nice warm shower (to soften up the face) seems to help. Then I used Maybelline pan stick make-up (a suggestion fr DanaJ, you might want to IM her for more advise). It did rather good job as beard cover. Hope this might help a bit. Good luck. Hugs, Tammi

CharleneCD
08-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Carson, I have found I get the closest shave if I let the hair grow out a bit. If I know I am going out fem I leave my beard alone for about 3 days.

Fallen Angel
08-16-2005, 10:38 PM
*slap* you can't close pores, that's a myth. You can 'minimise' pores... but you can't close them ;)
ok well it was close enought thats what every body tell me xxx

Ibuki_Warpetal
08-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Pluck x1000.

carson
08-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks y'all for the suggestions....except for Tamara who only chimed in to dispell a myth. I wish you'd had something helpful to say about shaving, Tamara. You look like you probably have a pretty heavy beard yourself. :D

CharleneCD
08-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks y'all for the suggestions....except for Tamara who only chimed in to dispell a myth. I wish you'd had something helpful to say about shaving, Tamara. You look like you probably have a pretty heavy beard yourself. :D

Let the fireworks begin. Tamara with a beard, HMMMM :D

Stephanie Brooks
08-16-2005, 11:09 PM
I use a twin blade before applying a good beard cover foundation. It works fine for about 8 or so hours. A good beard cover will mask any hair growth during that time. I'm usually amazed when I remove my makeup. Prior to doing so, I see very little hair. After removal, it's like, "Oh, he's back!"

On razors, I've tried razors with 3 blades, and I had more trouble with nicks than with 2. I saw no improvement in smoothness. I couldn't even imagine doing 4 blades! In my opinion, unless you have electrolysis you're going to have some facial hair scratchiness. You'll never get a baby smooth shave. We're not built that way. With a fresh shave and a good beard cover, no one is going to notice.

Fwiw, I have almost pernanent 5 o'clock shadow. I can grow a respectable beard and mustache in a week - no joke - and it's full in two weeks.

Tamara Croft
08-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks y'all for the suggestions....except for Tamara who only chimed in to dispell a myth. I wish you'd had something helpful to say about shaving, Tamara. You look like you probably have a pretty heavy beard yourself. :DAnd I thought I was being helpful letting you know that using cold water doesn't close pores........ how wrong can one be. And I'm pretty sure that's the only advice I could have given as I'm a GG and DON'T have a beard...... :rolleyes: Maybe I'll just stop giving advice altogether :mad:

And to think I once edited your picture..... PFFT :thumbsdn:

Debbie Kong
08-17-2005, 12:38 AM
To begin with I shave in the shower, without a mirror. I use Mach III blades and Wilkinson Sword soap with a brush to begin with. Too finish I use Somersets Shaving Oil and shave again. The shaving oil does seem to improve the closeness of my shave and it will be eight hours before I start to worry about it again. The curse of facial hair. I'm thinking of beginning electrolysis treatments to my face this winter.

Debbie

Tristen Cox
08-17-2005, 01:37 AM
And I thought I was being helpful letting you know that using cold water doesn't close pores........ how wrong can one be. And I'm pretty sure that's the only advice I could have given as I'm a GG and DON'T have a beard...... Maybe I'll just stop giving advice altogether :mad:

And to think I once edited your picture..... PFFT :thumbsdn:
Yeah what an :censor:

Joking :lol:

Fionax
08-17-2005, 02:05 AM
Must have been that time of the month!

Jamie M
08-17-2005, 02:41 AM
I'd agree with charlene , the best shaves i get are always after i've let it grow out for even a day or two. It gets a bit of a bore letting it grow as i do so love being freshly shaved but if i do it every day it just goes all bumpy and sore.

as for equipment/techniques , i use gillete mach 3 against the grain with nivea sensitive cream and i find that the best even if it can get very expensive over time as the blades lose their edge very quickly.

if i'm having a bad shadow day i also use a touch of concealer before applying my foundation and i find that just about takes care of it .

HTH :)

Khriss
08-17-2005, 02:42 AM
close shave,, Without irritation! I was over-zelous shaving, and had a skin reaction to,the foundation I used, so I went -Hypo-allergenic,and backed off on "beard angst" some, ( bein' blonde is finaly a good thing?), so I'd agree, with Stephanie (as usual-hehe)- shaving "clean" counts, but a good foundation, or beard cover if needed,seems the most practical variable in solving the "beard problem" equation. ( oh oh Steph's got me thinkin' math-omg) hey,,, IMHO- xx"K"

Imogen_Mann
08-17-2005, 02:53 AM
I get a good shave with Wilkinsons Quatro razor, but only ever use gilette gel for sensitive skin or proper shaving soap and brush (hot lather). I always soak my face with a flannel for 20 minutes using the hottest possible water to soften everything up first. This gives me good results, but alas, My beard grows at an almost heroic rate, so it only ever lasts a couple of hours.

I'd also like to add, moisturising daily with olay or similar seems to make it a lot easier, and saves a lot of irritation.

XX

Jayme

Leilani68
08-17-2005, 03:01 AM
That's right, Take it slow when shaving. I find it works so much better...
I even have used an electric, taking it slow and get a baby face without
much growth after 8hrs.... :D

kysmet
08-17-2005, 06:48 PM
I guess I'm lucky. It takes nearly a week before anything is really visible on my face. I usually, time permitting, wash my face with hot water and Nutregena soap using an exfoliating sponge and then a regular sponge. Makes the hair all soft and easy to shave. Then I use hot water again with a dual blade razor with the gel strip on it. I use my empty hand to feel my face as I shave finding all the different directions the hair can grow. The only place I cannot seem to get a baby smooth shave is my chin due to the shape. I've never really needed beard cover that much either. Other than that I really only have to shave once a week. This does cause issues when I want to actually grow a goatee or beard cause then it takes me months to grow anything substantial.

Okay, now you can all start throwing things at me. :eek:

Ericka Jean

Sweet Susan
08-17-2005, 09:53 PM
I'd agree with charlene , the best shaves i get are always after i've let it grow out for even a day or two. It gets a bit of a bore letting it grow as i do so love being freshly shaved but if i do it every day it just goes all bumpy and sore.

HTH :)

It's been my experience that shaving every day is a let down. That is because some hairs take longer to grow out than others. So, if you shave every day about a third of your hairs haven't hit the surface yet, and they will emerge shortly after you've finished shaving. Just another free perspective from yours truly.

carson
08-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Once again, thanks girls for the tips! And Tamara, I'm truly sorry if I hurt you feelings. No malice was intended. I figured since you occasionally seem to have a sharp tongue of your own, you would have just laughed at my retort and fired an equally good one back at me. But alas, all I got was, :thumbsdn: "PFFT."

Tamara Croft
08-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Once again, thanks girls for the tips! And Tamara, I'm truly sorry if I hurt you feelings. No malice was intended. I figured since you occasionally seem to have a sharp tongue of your own, you would have just laughed at my retort and fired an equally good one back at me. But alas, all I got was, :thumbsdn: "PFFT.":lol: gotcha :lol: bwahhahahhahaa...... :D

carson
08-17-2005, 11:47 PM
:lol: gotcha :lol: bwahhahahhahaa...... :D

Gosh, you sure got me. Well, it's always better to err on the side of kindness. I was just trying to be sensitive to the fact that when women your age go through menopause, they tend to be a little... ah, unpredictable, shall we say, emotionally. ;)

Tamara Croft
08-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Gosh, you sure got me. Well, it's always better to err on the side of kindness. I was just trying to be sensitive to the fact that when women your age go through menopause, they tend to be a little... ah, unpredictable, shall we say, emotionally. ;)*logs into mod control panel* *waves to carson* I'll give you unpredictable :lol:

now wheres that ban button

Tristen Cox
08-17-2005, 11:56 PM
I am getting the hell outta here now :hiding:

carson
08-18-2005, 12:09 AM
*logs into mod control panel* *waves to carson* I'll give you unpredictable :lol:

now wheres that ban button

Ha, Ha, Ha! You slay me!.....Hello?...Hello?...Is anybody out there? Oh sh!t.

In "BAN" no one can hear you scream...

Tamara Croft
08-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Ha, Ha, Ha! You slay me!.....Hello?...Hello?...Is anybody out there? Oh sh!t.

In "BAN" no one can hear you scream...Only I can hear you screaming now bitch...... bwhahahahaha..... btw.... did you know that a member can be put on EVERYONES ignore list by the click of a button??? :lol:

carson
08-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Only I can hear you screaming now bitch...... bwhahahahaha..... btw.... did you know that a member can be put on EVERYONES ignore list by the click of a button??? :lol:

Yes, Tamara. But then you would have to ignore me as well and we would lose this scintillating repartee. :( Of course, I really should have put a stop to this quite a while ago. I make it a policy never to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. :rolleyes:

Lisa Golightly
08-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Closest shave can be achieved by using a clay mud pack before shaving. I leave it on for 25 mins. After removal shave with a decent blade and voila... baby soft skin and not a hint of hair.

gamester_40
08-18-2005, 07:47 AM
I've been using a triple-bladed razor for some time. I have also been using a combination of suggestive MP3s and there is no doubt that the re-growth is much slower. In the 14 hours since my last shave I have hardly grown any stubble, even on the sideburns and jaw line. I used to grow quite quickly. This is after about 12 months. The hair in other places is also growing much slower. I only notice it once a week and it is much finer and thinning all the time.

carson
08-18-2005, 09:59 AM
I can't believe the response I've gotten to this thread. Thank you all so much! There seems to be quite a wide variety of techniques in dealing with this problem. I guess my best bet is to just start trying them until I hit upon one that happens to work for me. I can't thank you all enough for the input! :thanks:

Colibri
08-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Has any one ever tried waxing ther face? I am thinking of doing this. At this time veet are giving out free wax virgin kits (UK only I think) no pain no gainVeet (http://www.veet.co.uk)

geegee2
08-18-2005, 11:48 AM
:love:
Or was it? No matter how careful I am or how new the blade is, I just never feel like I can get a close enough shave for getting smooth coverage with makeup and hiding my beard shadow. Does anybody have any tips, tricks or ideas? I'd really love some feedback on this! :)
I found that I get closest shave using noxema facial cream,wash face real good,apply noxema generously,shave,rinse with cold water.luv,kisses,hugs GEEGEE2 :love:

Ophelia D'Void
08-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Someone once told me that you need to use a multi blade razor and shave against the grain at least twice. Usually once is enough, and I'd have to agree with some of the members that if you wait a little before shaving, the longer hair gives the blades more of a head start on the hair, thus pulling it up slightly before nipping it in the bud.

That being said, some people like myself just have black hair, and it's visible beneath the surface no matter what you do. That's when the foundation comes in handy.

Kudos to Ayla for teaching me this trick: Get a theatrical grade makeup (Nye, Blasco, Kryolan), and (trick I taught Ayla) apply a decent concealer to the area that you're going to be doing heavy concealing. You can get away with just layering foundation on this area, but the concealer is stronger and you get to save more of your precious foundation. The trick is getting a concealer that matches your skin tone. I was using something that gave my skin an orange tone before (I'm Asian, and don't have alot of red pigments in my skin), then just dab it on with your finger and use a foundation brush to spread it (Ayla's trick).

After you neutralize the base tone, apply your foundation with your finger or a stiff brush, dabbing intermittently all over your face (so you look like you have a tight polka-dot pattern), then smooth the whole thing out with your foundation brush again. Also the trick I do when I conceal my eyebrows, but when I do that I smooth out the brows with a spirit gum and smooth a layer of nose/scar wax over that to eliminate the gaps between the hairs.

It's less complicated than it sounds (heck, I can do it and I'm still surprised I have opposable thumbs).

One of these days I should do a before and after on the Beauty board as a walk through.

Hope it helps...
O

Tristen Cox
08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Has any one ever tried waxing ther face? I am thinking of doing this. At this time veet are giving out free wax virgin kits (UK only I think) no pain no gainVeet (http://www.veet.co.uk)
You should think about that a little longer, I don't think you want to try that.

carson
08-18-2005, 02:15 PM

One piece of advice: Don't use an automotive buffer.

liz lesbow
08-19-2005, 07:13 PM
try ther new battery powered gilette trubo three blade.. Its cheap it works great and use a hot towel and or a little olive oil. It looks like a regular razor but it cuts so fast from the battery proer that your beard is cut very smooth. Once done you can turn it over and use it as a vibrator TEE HEE. I just got one and I was told that I did not need any conceler because my beard was cut so short. I had shaved one hour before the makeover. Run your hand over your face and feel for the missed places. Take your time and let the razor do the work.