PDA

View Full Version : Is the way you carry your purse telling others you might be a crossdresser??

Karren H
04-23-2010, 12:56 PM
The other day walking into work I just happened to notice that +90% of the women had their purses on their left shoulder... And over the last day that seems to be the number for every woman I've passed... But all of the men entering the building had their computer bags on their right shoulders.. And funny too.. I carry both purse and pc bag on my right side..

Assuming most people are right handed... Do right handed women carry their purses on their left side and right handed men carry stuff on their right side?

What hand do you write with and what side do you carry your purse? What does your SO do if you have one?

Sheila
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Karen I carry my bag on my left shoulder, I wear my watch on my left wrist ............ I am right handed

Deborah Jane
04-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Now you come to mention it Karren, I do carry my purse on my right shoulder, I'm also right handed.
Guess I'll have to remember this next time I'm out and carry my purse on my left shoulder. :)

Jeeze, something else to remember, I don't think I'll ever get the hang of this crossdressing lark :sad:

Tora
04-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I was woman watching outside a Ultra Tuesday, I noticed the over the shoulder thing. I thought it was a security idea, to keep it close. Where are the girls keeping their hockey sticks?

Heather Daniels
04-23-2010, 01:06 PM
The other day walking into work I just happened to notice that +90% of the women had their purses on their left shoulder... And over the last day that seems to be the number for every woman I've passed... But all of the men entering the building had their computer bags on their right shoulders.. And funny too.. I carry both purse and pc bag on my right side..

Assuming most people are right handed... Do right handed women carry their purses on their left side and right handed men carry stuff on their right side?

What hand do you write with and what side do you carry your purse? What does your SO do if you have one?

Karren, even though this is 2010, and men do sometimes carry a purse, I think the mere fact that you ARE carrying a purse might just let people know that you may be a crossdresser. Of course....I could be totally wrong???
Now if I did go out dressed and carried a purse, I'm pretty sure I would carry it over my left shoulder. It would just make it easier to get things from it since I am right handed. When I have my laptop bag, it is almost always hanging from my right side.
Perhaps we need a poll for this one.....or.....I'm still tired from staying up through 3 overtime periods last night watching the Pens drop that game??

Staci G
04-23-2010, 01:11 PM
well I would watch my wife but she dont carry a purse. She hands me her license and says here carry this and away we go. I have a purse or two but she dont let me take mine along (says I look like a puss) I dont know what a cat has to do with it but anyway, I will watch that maybe that why I get read so easy! hmmm I doubt it though

Jonianne
04-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Naw, I carry everything on my left shoulder, tool bag, computer bag, personal bag (sometimes all at once) and when dressed my purse on my left shoulder as well (see my pic in my album). I am right handed, but I rarely carry anything on my right side.

Just because I do carry it on my left shoulder doesent mean I'm not going to get read though!

Karren H
04-23-2010, 01:13 PM
No Pittsburgher men carry purses! Ha!!! I'm so tired I wrote this lame thread to say awake! Lol. Go Pens!

Mea GG
04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
I am a right-handed gg, and carry my purse on my right shoulder.
I never in my life gave one thought to how anybody carried their purse...

and after I typed the above I went and picked up my purse like I was going to work and yeah I use the right shoulder but it looked awful silly with the flannel nightgown..

I am allowed to wear a flannel nightie here right???:D

Oh, uh, not to mix up threads here, but imagine the poor guy who hides from his wife that he crossdresses then at the mall or somewhere he has to stand there holding her purse... I feel for THAT guy!

Karren H
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I am a right-handed gg, and carry my purse on my right shoulder.
I never in my life gave one thought to how anybody carried their purse...

and after I typed the above I went and picked up my purse like I was going to work and yeah I use the right shoulder but it looked awful silly with the flannel nightgown..

I am allowed to wear a flannel nightie here right???:D

You can wear it only if you don't tell anyone.. Too late! Ha! I think that's its you flannel fetish that has you wearing your purse on the off-standard side.. I'd seek prfessional help immediately! :D

5150 Girl
04-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm right handed, and carry to the left.
Unless I put my purse in the child seat. If I do that, I put the seatbelt thingie through the strap to make it harder to steal if my back is turned to look at somting.

AKASadieGG
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Funny, I never noticed but right handed left shoulder.

Sheila
04-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Now you come to mention it Karren, I do carry my purse on my right shoulder, I'm also right handed.

Proof that she does 111863

Karren H
04-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Karren, lol, you crack me up.

Busted on the flannel fetish. Don't tell my boyfriend...

He probably makes up for it in satin and lace night wear.... enough for the both of you plus some! Lol.

Deborah Jane
04-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Proof that she does 111863

Proof that she does too :D

Karren H
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
I think this is the first theory I've had that the data could prove correct.. With some minor exceptions that can be explained away.. I'm running a simular thread on another forum with simular results..

Now if I can just get some better data on my theorized link between crossdressing and alien abductions!! I could write a book and supiment my retirement account! Lol.

anna kate
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Wife and I both carry them on the left and we are both right handed. She also wears the flanel nighty, not me though, mine are all nylon.

Karren H
04-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Wife and I both carry them on the left and we are both right handed. She also wears the flanel nighty, not me though, mine are all nylon.

Yeah!!! As long as their flannel in the house I can use statistics to explain that!! And though I don't want to do it, I will use the "CDs are notorious liars" card if I have to!! Hahaha

janelle
04-23-2010, 02:16 PM
I had heard once that when out walking both men & women should put things to the outside. (Streetside). I guess that would always put your purse between you & your date. For the men, Right handed mostly, They than have their right hand free to grab, fight back or whatever if someone tries to take it. Don't know how true it is but thats the best reasons I ever heard.

Hugs all....................Janelle

Regina
04-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Well...I'm left handed in just about everything. Purse always goes over the left shoulder and my watch is always on the left wrist. I'm kind of curious about this and will look at other women to see what they do.

Regina

sterling12
04-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Janelle and I must have read The Same Article. If you carry your Purse on The Streetside, less likely that some guy could run alongside you on The Sidewalk and snatch it. It also frees up your right hand, to grab your can of Mace and spray that Dirtbag!

Peace and Love, Joanie

gabimartini
04-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Right-handed here, purse on the left shoulder.

Karren H
04-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I had heard once that when out walking both men & women should put things to the outside. (Streetside). I guess that would always put your purse between you & your date. For the men, Right handed mostly, They than have their right hand free to grab, fight back or whatever if someone tries to take it. Don't know how true it is but thats the best reasons I ever heard.

Hugs all....................Janelle

Wouldn't that mean that British and Australian women would have their purses on the opposite side as North Americans... I know in Australia I was walking down the street on the right side and this female jogger about ran me over when she came at me running on the left?

Plus that would hold true in large cities... When was the last time you saw someones purse snached in a midwestern farming village? More likely to get your purse run over by a farm impliment... Or eaten by a wayward heffer....

And here in Pittsburgh if your wearing a Steelers or a Penguins Jersey (Pirates.... Nahhhh). Then no one will bother you.. Even criminals here are sports fans firstly.. Now if your wearing anything from Cleveland and have a purse you might end up naked on the turnpike back to Ohio... But that's whole other issue! Lol.

Billijo49504
04-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Switch hitter here:eek: If it's a shoulder bag, it's on the left side. But a short strap purse is usually over my right elbow.:2c:BJ

msniki48
04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I tend to carry my purse on left side and i'm left handed....it seems that women have the right idea....by carrying the purse on the left side it frees the right hand when the woman reaches for items at the store.... i tend to lift my left shoulder up to support the bag...when i reach for something with my left hand the bag always falls to my arm.... SUCH A PAIN!

so as a left hander, i should probably carry on the right side so i can shop more comfortably....right girls????? :heehee:

and as right handers, you all need to start carrying on the left side so you can shop better too....Sounds like a plan! thanks for bringing this up Karren!:battingeyelashes:

:hugs:

dilane
04-23-2010, 03:12 PM
OMG ... first the hand police, now the handbag police!

Very observant, Karen.

I carry my purse on the left side (and my watch is on the left too). I'm left handed, but I can do many things with my right hand (except write). I don't recall giving the matter any thought in the past -- it just feels right, so to speak ...

I have recently thought that it may be more efficient to carry on the right when getting into the car -- it's easier to slip the bag directly off the shoulder to the passenger seat that way (in right-hand drive countries like the US), but that is strictly a male-oriented operations analysis way of thinking, and I've rejected it :)

Lorileah
04-23-2010, 03:13 PM
I am right handed and I carry my purse on my right...no left...no right...no left shoulder. I throw it over which ever but I usually carry the flap toward my hip. And more often it is right

AllieSF
04-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Right Handed, watch on left wrist, purse on right shoulder. Now, since your formal survey (not a poll) is so accurate, I will be trying to remember to put my purse on my left shoulder to help me "pass" better.

Angel.Marie76
04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Never even thought about it before, but I always carry my purse on my left shoulder, or carry it in my left hand. I'm right handed, and I wear my watch on my right arm... however, I've been told I'm left-eye dominant!

When I shoot, I find I get miss-matched all the time.. I have a right trigger finger, but I have to aim with my left to be more accurate. I've tried to shoot and do things lefty, but I just don't have the strength.

Karren H
04-23-2010, 03:30 PM
God this is good stuff!! wonder if Freud started this way...

Ok here's what I have so far:

Most women wear their purse on their left.. Most crossdressers wear it on the right unless they are women trapped in mens bodys (or fibbing) then they wear it on the left... And people with flannel somewhere in their lives are just odd?

:D

kellycan27
04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
I think it tells someone how pissed off they got me when I snack um upside the head with it.:heehee:

Karen564
04-23-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm right handed, but the bag goes on left shoulder...:battingeyelashes:

Like Duh :doh:, It only makes sense to do it that way anyway.....lol

Since I reach to pick stuff up using my right hand while shopping, my bag stays put on my left shoulder this way.....

janelle
04-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Thats the idea Karen, in big Cities you don't kinow who is in the doorways, thus you put your purse the farthest away. In fact in really bad cities, the man walks on the inside to protect his lady. just a FYI.

carhill2mn
04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
I have no idea as to whether or not this is a GW vs. CD thing. I just know that it is natural for me to carry my purse on my left shoulder. This leaves my right hand free to do other things.

Keely
04-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Karren I'm right-handed and I think the purse is usually on the right.
Guess I'm going to have to switch. Wouldn't want anyone to think I'm a crossdresser :doh:

Tranny Tee
04-23-2010, 05:50 PM
When in male mode how should I carry my European Shoulder Bag? (It was a gift)

Lena Teegal
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
No Pittsburgher men carry purses! Ha!!! I'm so tired I wrote this lame thread to say awake! Lol. Go Pens!

I first read that as go "p***s", and I thought am I on the wrong forum :)

Melissa Rose
04-23-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm right handed and carry my purse on my left shoulder. This configuration keeps the purse on my shoulder when reaching out or using my right hand. It also allows easier access to the purse with my right hand. I carry a clutch purse in my left hand for easier right hand access and to keep my right hand free.

Kayla Shadows
04-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Hmm..Im another one who never noticed or thought about it..Right handed and carry on left

Midnight Skye
04-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Some men carry purses in NC (in the bigger cities)... but they're metro at the very least.

I carry my purse on my right shoulder... but that made since to me because it has a crazy long shoulder strap. But I do indeed carry my laptop bad on the same side. Hmmmmm... my wife carries hers on the left. We're both right handed... strange things are afoot!

sherri52
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I am left handed and carry my purse on the right side

NathalieX66
04-23-2010, 07:32 PM
I was in the mall shopping for jewelry and women's accessories today, and spent some time observing women. I'm basing on an approximate number but I would sat 2/3rds wore their purses on the left, while 1/3rd wore it on the right. I also think that if she is right handed, then she has a free arm to do things with.
Other than that, I don't think this is much different that which side to part hair on.

Now, in NY city, I can't believe the sheer numbers of men with purses, mostly shoulder bags....I guess it's a metrosexual thing.

Patty
04-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Right handed and carry the purse on the left. Tried carrying my purse on the right and the left when I first got it. The left was so much easier == able to use right hand.

dilane
04-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I remember from an Anthro class that women often carry babies on the left side, leaving the right hand free to do stuff. Maybe the GG purse carry is an instinctive thing?

Presh GG
04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm a right handed GG. When I carry a shoulder bag, it's on my left side. A clutch bag goes under my right elbow. My watch is always on my right wrist.
When I'm out more than an hour, I have to hand it to Tea, who then has hers on the right [ s/he's left handed] and mine on her left... UNLESS she's carrying shopping bags , then both purses are on the left and the purchases in her right hand.

:2c:

Presh GG

Bobbi Lynn
04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
OK I'll help you out. I'm right handed and carry my purse on my left shoulder and wear my watch on my left wrist.

linnea
04-23-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm right-handed and I usually carry my purse with my left or sling it over my left shoulder. I hadn't really thought about it until you asked.

CharleneT
04-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Well, I'm a maiden in waiting, and I carry my purse on the left side. I am right handed. Never really thought about it, but it is the right thing to do: when your purse is on your left shoulder, that leaves your right hand to reach into it for stuff. The "better" hand if you're a rightie.

I'll have to do some watching around town and see if I notice a trend or not.

Charlene

Persephone
04-23-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm right handed and my purse usually starts out on my left shoulder. But I tend to carry a fairly heavy purse, so, after a while, it will end up on my right shoulder for a spell, then back to the left, etc. Also, sometimes, when it seems convenient, I just carry it in my left hand, using the strap as a handle.

Mostly for evening wear, there are clutch purses that have no strap of any sort and that are meant to be hand carried.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/HandbagEvening.jpg

There are "handbags" that have short straps that cannot be slung over a shoulder but must be carried in your hand or resting on your forearm (Note that unless the photo has been flipped, she has her handbag on her right arm).

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/handbag.jpg

And there are lovely purses designed for concealed carry.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/handbagconcealed.jpg

Chickhe
04-23-2010, 11:00 PM
It is easier on the left because you can then use your right hand to reach in and extract your keys, wallet etc... The real question is what kind of purse to get?... there are millions out there!

RockerTerri
04-23-2010, 11:06 PM
When I do carry my purse, its on my left shoulder. I dont wear a watch. I am right handed. I have a bag for school that holds my stuff most of the time, so unless I am going somewhere other than school (which isnt often) I just throw my wallet in there.

I never thought about this before tbh.

Fab Karen
04-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Right-handed & purse hangs across from left shoulder.
Maybe you've noticed a lot of closet CD's out there doing everything they can think of to look more "male" in order to better hide ( even though not all GG's carry it only on left shoulder ).

Andy66
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM
I carry a bag on my left shoulder. I write with my left hand, but do almost everything else with my right.

AKAMichelle
04-23-2010, 11:49 PM
So let's assume that you are right about 90% of GG carry their purse on the left shoulder. What does it mean when a GG carries the purse on the right shoulder? Do they get tagged with us?

Or could all of this have to do more with which side of the brain the person uses mostly. Women use the opposite side of the brain than men. So it would make sense for them to do the opposite of men. But how do you explain a GG carrying a purse on the right shoulder. Do they end up using both sides of their brains thus making them smarter than the rest of the GG's?

Either way - I know what you have done. I will have to look at every GG to confirm or deny your threory. :devil:

Angela Dressing
04-24-2010, 12:04 AM
yea, you have to act like your doing her a favor when she is actually doing you a favor.

rayander01
04-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Don't know about anybody else but I was a cop for 17 years and in the Army two. As I'm right handed everything I carried was on my left shoulder or left hand. Had to have my right free to grab my weapon.

Karen - I promise no flannel for me.

Rey

Kate Simmons
04-24-2010, 07:29 AM
I'd say it's more like how I use the purse against mashers is probably the dead give away.:battingeyelashes::heehee:

rayander01
04-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Me thinks it has to do with your prominate hand. Right handed, bag on left, Left handed, bag on right.

Rey

Cheryl T
04-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Guess I would say I'm "Ambi-pursed"..lol.
I carry it on both with no preference for one or the other. Depends on what else I'm carrying at the time...i.e. shopping bags full of great buys.
I'm right handed and violate the other tenent as a male when I carry my cell phone on my left hip. I heard that guys are supposed to carry it on the hip of their dominant hand...maybe I'm just submissive...:eek:

Tina B.
04-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Left handed, left shoulder, watch on left wrist, doesn't matter shoulders so narrow purse falls off no matter what shoulder it's on. Need a good clutch bag!
Tina B.

Prissy Linda
04-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm a switch hitter. I carry my purse on either shoulder.

Diana L
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
My wife and I were out last night and every woman I saw carried her purse on her right shoulder. I am left handed and I always carry my purse over my right shoulder.

Diana

Sharon B.
04-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I carry mine on the right and I am right handed, but since reading this thread I have notice a lot of women carry it on the left. From now on I will carry mine on the left also.

Frédérique
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM

I write with my right hand, I hold my purse with my right hand (invariably a clutch purse), and I spend money with both hands. I have no $ today, so I thought I would entertain myself by writing responses to posts – it costs nothing. As for the latter question, I neatly avoid the problem completely by being unacceptable to the opposite sex, in a non-polarized manner, thus no SO…:sad:

Loni
04-24-2010, 03:26 PM
well this am while i was unloading at a mall,
i took note not count, but the gg with there purses on the left won out...not by much,
there was two gg walking side by side and each had there purse on the "outside" .
one guy with a purse (chasing after his wife i believe).
a number of gg with multiple bags (both shoulders).
some gg with no visible purse/wallet.
a number of guys carrying a bag/puter/etc (not a purse) all on the right shoulder.

just what i saw for a two hour span while working. i included just carrying in the hand as shoulder, but not a clutch style purse.

Jonianne
04-24-2010, 04:10 PM
.....– it costs nothing......

What do you mean it costs nothing? Who's checking account did you give Tamara when you signed up?

Eve_WA
04-24-2010, 04:13 PM
right handed, purse on left shoulder

Elle1946
04-24-2010, 05:00 PM
My SO carries her purse on her left shoulder and is right handed and when I carry a bag it is on my right sholder and I am right handed.

msniki48
04-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm right handed, but the bag goes on left shoulder...:battingeyelashes:

Like Duh :doh:, It only makes sense to do it that way anyway.....lol

Since I reach to pick stuff up using my right hand while shopping, my bag stays put on my left shoulder this way.....

Seeeee Thats a real girl thinking....it's about the shopping! :heehee:

Sandra
04-24-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm right handed and carry my bag mostly on the right shoulder, it just doesn't seem comfy on the left....but at times I do wear it across my body as well :)

SouthernBelle.GG
04-24-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm right-handed and carry long-strapped purses on the left. Short-strapped purses are carried on the right. Clutches are carried on the left. If my shoulder/arm starts getting crampy or going numb from a heavy purse, I switch up.

Diane Smith
04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I carry all my bags (purse, laptop, cameras, etc.) on the left shoulder, unless I'm carrying two or three at the same time!

- Diane

Alice Torn
04-24-2010, 10:57 PM
With these theories and insights, maybe you can soon be a guest on Coast to Coast, with Art Bell, or George Norri, late night radio. Go Blackhawks, for the first time, in decades!

noeleena
04-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi .

I asked Jos she will have it on ether shoulder .

For me i was in the drum core as a side drummer military ,so my strap was on my right shoulder , so i carred on with my shoulder bags , alltho mine is a back pack one so its on my back all the time when out. one reason is i carry my camara in a front carry bag & my watch is on my right arm , & im a left e yet use both hands much the same.

...noeleena...

valerie_vanesse
04-25-2010, 08:10 AM
I usually carry my purse on my left side. I am right handed, and it makes it easier to access the contents without putting my purse down. I do carry a lot of stuff in my purse, do not have room for the kitchen sink tho.

Empress Lainie
04-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm ambi-pursed too, depends on what else I am carrying.
Most of the time if only my purse (it is huge!) on my left shoulder, but sometimes in my left or fight hand by the straps. I am right handed, nothing sinister about me!

Phyliss Hdson
04-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi Karen,

I am sitting in the airport as I read this thread. I am noticing that the ratio is closer to 70/ car30, but true most women are carring their purses on the left.

I had never paid much attention but beig right handed I do carry mine on the left most of the time.

HUgs Phyliss

RhondaLynn
04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm left-handed, but have always carried my purse on my right shoulder. I noticed long ago that was easier to enter & exit my car with my purse on my right side - I'd push it in first, into the passenger seat, and when i got out, it would come out last, resting at my right side. I also carry laptop cases, etc., on my right side.

I've began carrying a purse with me practically everywhere in the last few months - either to keep my pocket items in if i change into a skrit, or by habit.. Once i got used to having it, i just instinctively grab it & throw a few things in it on the way out the door for work.

Now if i could only work up a justification for carrying it into work with me...

Jilmac
04-25-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm a natural lefty so for me it's just right to carry my purse in my left hand or sling it over my left shoulder. I never gave a thought to doing it any other way. Does that mean I have a dominant female gene for purse carrying? LOL!

Jodi M
04-25-2010, 11:08 PM
I am a lefty and wear my watch and my purse on the right. i think thats so my left side is available to do every thing else. and yes it does take a lot of moxie to wear any kind of Cleveland garb in da burgh.

Lexine
04-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Admittedly Karen made me paranoid after I read this thread LOL.

In all seriousness though when I did start carrying my purse on my left shoulder recently (and I'm right handed btw), everything from grabbing my wallet to fumbling for my lip color got so much easier! Like what one of the girls said, since my right is more dominant, I can just swing my purse around so my right hand can grab whatever the heck I want from my purse. It's so much easier!

So moving forward, it'll be left shoulder for my purse all the time now! :D

insearchofme
04-26-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm right handed and carry everything on my left side, pures, brief case, books, anything I'm carrying. I always want to have my righ hand free. Why? Who knows? I never thought about it until Karren brought it up.

bobi jean
04-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Right handed, carry the purse on the left side but I also carry my clutch in the left hand. Ror me it just makes it easier to get into the purse or the clutch.

Laura Evans
04-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Right handed but purse always on my left, never thought anything about it, until this post, I just naturally cary my purse that way.

docrobbysherry
04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Little things we do, can speak VOLUMES to others out there!:brolleyes:

Here's a pic from my latest session. Is THIS how a GG would hold her purse? :doh: I DON'T think so!

Thanks for helping us CLUELESS folks THINK a little!:hugs:

jenifer m.
04-26-2010, 02:09 PM
im right handed but always carry my purse on the left.

DeeArel
04-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Now if I can just get some better data on my theorized link between crossdressing and alien abductions!! Lol.

If only there were coal mines in Roswell, you might be able to get the numbers on one of your excursions.

Alicia.80
04-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Went to the mall this weekend and from what I noticed it's about 60/40 right/left shoulder.

Vickie_CDTV
04-28-2010, 03:22 AM
I am right handed, and carry my purse on my right shoulder, with the opening flap on the inside (next to the side of my body.) When I walk I hold onto my purse with my right hand. as a male I keep my wallet in my right front pocket, so that is probably why I adopted this way of carrying my purse (as well as concerns about not having my purse snatched or being the victim of a pickpocket.)

If I am in a situation I am concerned about safety I carry my purse across my body (like a bandoleer) strap over left shoulder and holding purse with my right hand (again with the opening flap inwards next to my body.) I don't really see many women do this, but if I am that concerned about not getting my purse snatched, I am not concerned about passing at that moment.

I carry everything of mine in my purse when dressed (I don't really wear anything with pockets to put my wallet keys etc. in.) So here is a followup question: For those who carry your purse on the shoulder opposite the one your dominant hand is on, do you have pockets and carry some things in them instead of your purse?