PDA

View Full Version : Perception (This is a long one)

Rebecca Petersen
04-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I know there have been recent threads on this subject, but here is one more, and buried amongst this gibberish, there is a valid question.
It all started about a week ago when my wife “slightly” changed the color of her hair. Well, actually she added a few highlights. I should point out that I’m very aware of minor changes in hair and makeup, and the impact they have on your “look” for both genetic women and also the transgendered. But in the case in question, the highlights were so very minor that they were hardly noticeable.
My wife however, while brushing her hair made the statement, “Now that looks 100% better.” I agreed, but said to myself, “I can’t see much of a difference.” By the way, I say a lot of things to myself, only because it’s much safer.
Granted, over the years I have changed the color of my hair numerous times, but the changes were a bit more drastic in nature. I started as a brunette, changed to a brunette with auburn highlights, went red, then blond, and finally where I’m at now, blond with darker roots and darker blond lowlights. With each of these hair color changes I was convinced that the change was beneficial and I looked much better…or so “I” thought.
Phase two of the story. My wife and I were out a couple of days ago for a day of over indulging in both food and shopping, and while at the restaurant I took a picture of my wife with my cell phone. I showed her the picture and her statement was, “Oh my God, I look terrible.” She went on, “Look how big my nose looks” and, are you ready for this, “My hair looks terrible.” Did I mention that my wife is a hair dresser?
She asked…make that, she told me to delete the picture and take another. Well, as you can guess, this one was as bad as the first. The third wasn’t much better, nor the fourth. I think it was around number fifteen that she made the statement, “well, that one is better.”
From my viewpoint and trying to be objective, I honestly thought that all of the pictures looked the same. Great. But that was my perception, not hers.
I started to think, over the years as a crossdresser I’ve taken, or had taken thousands of pictures of myself. First with film and then digital. The one thing I can honestly say about those thousands of pictures of myself is, 99.9% of them totally sucked. I couldn’t, and actually still can’t understand why when I look in the mirror I see one image and when stepping in front of a camera, that image changes. And not for the better.
My wife and I discussed this phenomenon and guess what? I’m not alone. She feels the same way about pictures taken of her. Even down to the same statement “I looked good in the mirror, but the picture looks hideous.”
She also felt the same way about my pictures. In other words, they all pretty much looked the same to her. But not me.
So, the assumption was, that the massive changes that “We” see in ourselves, probably go unnoticed to the rest of the world. She pointed out, that aside from different outfits, makeup color changes, and hair style or color changes, I for the most part pretty much look the same every time we go out. But yet, I am thoroughly convinced that I on some days look bad and other days, look less bad.
So, here are a couple of questions.
How many feel as I do that cameras are evil instruments of the devil and should be disposed of?
Seriously, how many see themselves or imagine themselves one way and find it different in pictures?
How many feel that their mental perception of their "Look" is either, exactly what the rest of the world sees, or entirly different from what the rest of the world sees.
Thanks for reading a very long post.
Rebecca

AKAMichelle
04-24-2010, 05:36 PM
My perception is definitely different that what appears in the camera. We usually don't notice the flaws until we see them on film. Then they become very noticeable.

Sheila
04-24-2010, 05:43 PM
It actually shocks me if I get a picture that looks half way decent of me, no matter how many takes it takes :D:heehee::heehee:

rhondamichelle
04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
It could be the same contrast of perception when you, for instance, record your announcement on the answering machine and play it back to see if it came out allright, listen to it, and say "Oh my gosh, do I really sound like that?" Just my :2c:

Rhonda Michelle

Kathi Lake
04-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Perception is, unfortunately, reality.

For most of us, I think the "throwaway pile" for our pictures are in the 95% or better range. Sure, there are a fortunate few that are simply gorgeous no matter the angle, the outfit, the lighting, etc.

But oh, that last few percent! That is what makes taking pictures worthwhile! It's amazing how a tilt of the chin or a raise of the shoulders makes me look in the picture look almost like an actual woman - or at least the closest approximation I'm gonna get!

:)

Kathi

Cassandra Lynn
04-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Funny you posted this now, as i was just figuring out to post pics on another site. Somewhere along the way, as i had to crop it down to the allowed file size my 5'9" height looked more like those mirrors at the carnival. I'm proportionately short in the legs for most guys, but holly molly, i looked real funny. Then again maybe it's like your saying, our minds eye sees differently then our visual perception. mj (Cassie)

Jessy
04-24-2010, 07:04 PM
The camera thing is indeed very familiar. Today I took 200+ pics of myself with the intention to finally post a few, and in the end I wasn't happy enough with any of them. Did I mention I'm a perfectionist...? :heehee:

For me there's quite a difference between guy and girl mode in this part. As a guy, I hate being on pictures and rather keep myself behind a camera than in front of it. As a girl, I like making so many pics to find my flaws, or just show them or make a new avatar.

Leslie Langford
04-24-2010, 10:32 PM
I think that humorist and author Erma Bombeck probably said it best in the title of her 1991 book: "When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home..." :heehee:

noeleena
04-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Hi

Camara perception or the mirrow .
I take a lot of pics for our group the edwardians all dressed up in 1900 to 1910 ,

& they are not close up like 4 feet away . , its a gen view of say 15 to 20 people & most are quite happy . i do get some closer of cause .
Its when ...you ... are standing right in front by your self at say 3 feet .
& im the same i dont like that , worse still at passport pic or drivers lic .

you only see the bad in you . if theres two of you you look at the other person .
i hardly wear make up as in my pic as you see , tell me what you see . just dont tell me tho . you know what im saying .
& us women are the worst for that .

Now what if i had a make over what happens, no flaws , all most perfect ,
The light is in the right place you know every thing is 100 %,,,
Till you or your s o or me looks at the pics ,

For me itll never be right, so i accept the way i am . the way i look & let others see me for who i am .
I prefer being on my side of the camara & taking the pics .

...noeleena...

Andromeda
04-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Yes, there is a major difference between mental perception and reality. No cameras are not evil. Cellular phones/computers with cameras are evil as they make it far to easy to send my/ your latest bad picture without checking way to easy and common. Also, telling a "lie" to your wife/ so that her new dress/ outfit/ hair style or color making her look fat, ugly, or dowdy is not wrong. It is in fact a virtue. But you probably know that.

Kaz
04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
I take a photo of my SO... she says delete it... I think, but it is is so you! I want this photo!

I get a photo of me... I think aaaaaargh! she says, but this is what you look like!

Crazy game!

I take zillions of photos of Kaz to post.... I have very few...

C'est la vie!

I just took some photos of me in my hotel room... thought yuck! Then spotted a free parking bay out of my window and I am straight of the door... lift, reception, crowded bar, cross the street, move the car, walk back through crowded location... up in the lift, back in my room... see my car parked for free...RESULT!

I am dressed as Kaz (and away from home)...

No-one noticed...

So do I "present" in public as I look in photos?

The thing that kills me is the bathroom mirror and then worse the make-up mirror.... now those images are not nice!

Love Kaz xx

Jonianne
04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
I also notice the percieved difference between the camera and mirrors. To help balance the difference I have a full length mirror directly behind the camera so I can see what it sees (Also can see the monitor on the camera through the mirror). That helps. Doesn't get rid of my male face though!

Kate Simmons
04-26-2010, 06:16 PM
In the long run Rebecca, everyone pretty much "sees" what they want to see. Pics do not lie, however, and what they are is pretty much the real deal.:)

msniki48
04-26-2010, 07:55 PM
So, here are a couple of questions.
How many feel as I do that cameras are evil instruments of the devil and should be disposed of?
Seriously, how many see themselves or imagine themselves one way and find it different in pictures?
How many feel that their mental perception of their "Look" is either, exactly what the rest of the world sees, or entirly different from what the rest of the world sees.
Thanks for reading a very long post.
Rebecca

Rebecca...hope you are enjoying your time ;)

cameras are not evil...without them i would not have been able to log my 10+ yrs of evolution. even though they may be perceived as almost the same pics to others... they are so different to me:daydreaming:

i must admit that what i imagine and what the camera sees are soo different soooo many times. but sometimes it actually sees what i see...guess what? i keep that one for memory.

i wish every day that my mental image would be what the world sees, but alas. i don't really think so. [which is probably why i don't go out alot]:sad:

Lastly, thank you for this thread, it really makes you think. perception / vs / reality.

:hugs: