PDA

View Full Version : Soldier's Girl: A Film You Might Find Interesting

Sweet Susan
08-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Who among you watch movies about transgendered subjects? I don't seek them out, but when I stumble across one I will watch it. I've seen several of them, and we have discussed some of them on this forum. I just finished watching, Soldier's Girl, the true story of an Army private, a Screaming Eagle, who fell in love with a transgendered person. The private was naive, nice, from Kansas, and fresh out of basic, newly stationed at Fort Campbell in Tennessee just outside of Nashville. His new army buddies take him to a club where he meets one of the dancers. He develops a relationship with the dancer, and they become romantically involved. The dancer is a somewhat transvestite/drag queen and dances to songs with which she lip-synchs the lyrics. As I mentioned, the story is true, and the trailing credits actually list what happens to the various characters after the climax.

This is a Showtime movie, which means that it is a tv movie. Movies made for television often lack. This one, however, is actually quite strong. The acting, particulalry by the main characters is very good. The protagonist, our hero, is named Barry Winchell and played by Troy Garity. The antagonist, Winchell's roommate, Justin Fisher, who leads Winchell astray and sets him up for a fall, is played by Shawn Hatosy. As is often the case in movies, the bad guy's role is juicy, and Hatosy plays it to the hilt. Conversely, Garity under plays Winchell, and the mix between the two as portrayed in the film is very good. I was quite shocked at the level of acting skills by these actors. Lee Pace, who plays Calpernia Addams, is also very, very good.

I'd never heard of this movie until I found it in our local library, but I really believe that it is a story worth hearing, as well as a movie worth watching. It is not so much a transgender story as it is a love story, and not so much a murder story as it is a love story. In fact, for those of you who have not seen it and do decide to watch it, I recommend that you watch the special features before you watch the movie, as the actors, director, and Winchell's mother explain aspects about the movie that you might find interesting.

LaceLuvr
08-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Yes I saw that movie and I think everyone should see it whether they like the ideas that are shown in it or not because it was an excellent movie, excellent job by the actors and it really shows a lot of how society is these days. Very sad ending though things should have been so much better for our little hero.

Sweet Susan
08-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, It's actually very good.

Ashley in Virginia
08-17-2005, 03:41 PM
it was an ok movie. Another good movie to check out is girls gone wild spring break 2K4.

Mirragea
08-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I think it was a good movie.Some parts were just so f:censor:king sad.I must have been slicing onions. I really think it was about how bashers are attracted to that femininity and can't deal with it.So by bashing or killing the person they kill their desire.Do you buy this?

Sweet Susan
08-17-2005, 05:40 PM
No, I don't buy it.

Mirragea
08-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Well it's just a theory.I look at it as one part in an equation of hate fueled by fear.

Sweet Susan
08-18-2005, 12:31 AM
I've never been one to buy into theories developed by people who haven't experienced a behavior for themselves. For example, it has been said to be a theory that people who hate homosexuals hate homosexuals because they are uncomfortable with their own sexuality. Where in the hell did they come up with that? I've also heard the theory that people hate homosexuals because they really are a homosexual themselves, but are afraid to deal with it. Crock of shit, if you ask me. I think the bulk of people that hate homosexuals hate them because they have been conditioned to hate them. We live in a nation where it is really rare to think for yourself. We all admire those that think for themselves, but we are fricking frightened to do it ourselves. Pyschological studies and pyschiatriatrical studies are very often full of shit.

Helana
08-18-2005, 03:24 AM
I've never been one to buy into theories developed by people who haven't experienced a behavior for themselves. Never a truer word has been said. It is the height of ignorance.

I think the bulk of people that hate homosexuals hate them because they have been conditioned to hate them. We live in a nation where it is really rare to think for yourself. You are hitting some home runs today :D

I plan on watching this as soon as I can but I already know the story...and it is entirely predictable because as you say, people just don't think for themselves. We are all guilty of it to one degree or another, but when it comes to doing something important about it then you would think even a sheep would stop to ponder if murdering someone over a TG or homosexual issue is really worth it. :(

I guess non-thinking persons rank pretty low on the evolutionary scale, maybe somewhere between algae and moss. ;)

Mirragea
08-18-2005, 04:23 PM
I've never been one to buy into theories developed by people who haven't experienced a behavior for themselves. For example, it has been said to be a theory that people who hate homosexuals hate homosexuals because they are uncomfortable with their own sexuality. Where in the hell did they come up with that? I've also heard the theory that people hate homosexuals because they really are a homosexual themselves, but are afraid to deal with it. Crock of shit, if you ask me. I think the bulk of people that hate homosexuals hate them because they have been conditioned to hate them. We live in a nation where it is really rare to think for yourself. We all admire those that think for themselves, but we are fricking frightened to do it ourselves. Pyschological studies and pyschiatriatrical studies are very often full of shit.

Theories are made to be challenged.One doesn't have to have a particular experience to offer insight.It can help with empathy or hinder objectivity.Haven't you ever had a non involved person come with a solution?

I do agree that people are conditioned to hate .We all dislike someone or something but we haven't chose to start killing.I'm trying to understand the factors which brings that hate to violence.

I do think in some instances people do harm gay people because of their own sexual insecurity.I believe this to be a interesting idea.We may have to agree to disagree:think:

Wendy me
08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
i too have seen it a few times on showtime ...i liked it and when i come accross it on again i do watch it..yes i thought it was woth seeing....

Mistress Frillee
08-18-2005, 07:14 PM
so can I rent this thing @ blockbuster?

Rachel Morley
08-18-2005, 08:32 PM
My wife, Marla and I watched this a couple of weeks ago on DVD. It's a fantastic movie with a very sad ending. I thoroughly recommend it to everyone here.

Sweet Susan
08-19-2005, 01:15 AM
I do think in some instances people do harm gay people because of their own sexual insecurity.I believe this to be a interesting idea.We may have to agree to disagree:think:

I believe we probably agree more than we disagree. Much of what either of us type can be lost in, dare I say it, translation. I'm really not sure what drove the character Fisher to convince the weak newbie to kill Winchell. I was getting the feeling that Fisher was an example of a latent homosexual who was afraid to face up to his own sexuality. And to be honest, I cannot really explain what all of that entails. (Where is Kew when we need her.) There were a couple of scenes that indicated that Fisher was willing to explore his sexuality, and there was one scene where Fisher revealed to Winchell that he had worn girl's clothing when he was 12. On the other hand, Fisher was ultimately a weak individual. He could not contain his anger, and he illustrated deft abilities at manipulation. Whatever the case, the actor portraying him did a hell of job.