PDA

View Full Version : wig shopping

mapletree
04-28-2010, 04:18 PM
long story short
went into astore today and asked for help in finding a wig for me
i was told they were busy

for those who have a wig where and how did you measure for it ?

Kathi Lake
04-28-2010, 04:36 PM
If they are too busy, you can do one of three things:

Ask when they're usually slow

Make an appointment

Go to another store.

Kathi

Lover girl
04-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Hello mapletree. I have found great wigs at wowwigs.com. hundreds of colors and styles and at good prices!! You can get real hair but that will be spendy. I have two that I bought that have adjustable head bands to fit most heads. They have fully synthetic wigs that look and feel like real, at least to me they do. Fully synthetic's are the cheepest ones. Or move up to part real and part synthetic for middle of the road pricing. Go up to 100 % real hair and grab your purse and hold on tight to it. I hope this helps you!!!

mapletree
04-28-2010, 04:40 PM
thanks i will get a wig that fits one of these days thanks again

msniki48
04-28-2010, 05:11 PM
for those who have a wig where and how did you measure for it ?

If you go to beauty trends . com and go to measurements it will show you the 3 areas to measure.

1]circumference, [ around the head] 2]front to back...over the top. and 3] temple to temple...over the top

based on these measurements you will get your size...mine is average / large

next up is Large

don't know how expensive you are trying to go...but this site is very practical, i have at least 6 wigs from them.

:hugs:

tamarav
04-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Please, before you get too far down the road, read my articles on wigs. They will provide a lot of useful information and hopefully dispell some of the myths surrounding wigs. Link is below in my signature.

Did you know that 99.999% of the human hair harvested is used for filter material?

jenna_woods
04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
they are to busy, that's rude, I go to a wig shop, I make a appointment and treated like a queen.

sherri52
04-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Where they busy because they didn't want to help a CD/TG or because they had a lot of people in the store. If you believe it is because of you, I would go to another store and let us know which store so we do not go there either.

Sophie_C
04-28-2010, 07:19 PM
You know, I do have to make a point, and I swear I am not being mean, but most girls do NOT invest in a reasonable quality wig, and that makes the entire appearance just not work.

Seriously, it's better to have one good wig than 4 cheapo ones, and it's much better to have a real human hair one, one that you have to special order and get cut by a stylist, if you can save up for it. Just a thought...

Natural-looking *vs* a piece of plastic

Jessy
04-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Sophie there's synthetic wigs prices going from $10 to $500, maybe even more. There's a lot of difference! The picture you showed doesn't look very passable indeed, and so far the only wigs I've seen looking like that were wigs from a costume shop. But know that there are a lot of good synthetic wigs around (look at brands like Rene of Paris, Raquel Welch, and many more) that look just as good as the real hair wig you posted.

Not convinced? Then take a look at these (all synthetic from a good brand):

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5773/wigs.jpg

Stephenie S
04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
I have said this before, and I will say it again. Call, write, email, or visit http://www.wiggoddess.com/. Clare is and has been a friend to the CD/TG community for many years. She will help you. She is fair, helpful and extremely discrete. You will not be disappointed.

I have no interest, monetary or otherwise, in this site.

Stephie

Tina B.
04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Go to Paulayoung.com Find size information, it will tell you how to pick size, look at face shapes and it will help you choose a style. Then you are ready to order on line, or head to a wig shop with an idea of what you are looking for.
Tina B.

Kathi Lake
04-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Many of these online places are great, but there is no substitute for having someone who knows what they're doing helping you choose the wig that's best for your facial shape, coloring and personal style. Swallow your pride, put on your big girl panties (literal or figurative), march in there and get the help you need.

Kathi

Angiemead12
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I got my first few wigs on ebay, now my SO gets them at the department store!

Chickhe
04-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Pick up the phone book and call the shops in your area. Just as them if they have time to help you find a women's wig for yourself. You will get feedback on how welcoming they are. You don't have to explain why. Many men get wigs for things like rock band, stage character, CDing...etc .etc. I did it, I picked on in a small strip mall and went a mid-weekday morning when they said they are usually not busy. I tried all of their wigs and you can only really find a good wig when you can see yourself in the mirror. I did it in drab and really concentrated on which one made me look the most feminine. You could do it dressed up, but I actually think this might not be as good because the makeup may skew your viewpoint.

Cassandra Lynn
04-29-2010, 10:44 AM
If you can (depending on your location) make some phone calls and ask if they are "friendly". You will, like Kathi says, get much more for your dollars then by going the online route. mj (Cassie)

tamarav
04-29-2010, 10:49 AM
You can make the most expensive, well made wig look like trash by your poor styling skills. On the other hand, you can make some of the least expensive and most mass-produced wigs look awesome if you have a clue what to do.

Using the excuse that more money means a better looking wig is really sad. All it tells me is that you don't have a clue how to style any wig, regardless of price. Learn how to take care of a wig and it will look great and last for years.

I own no human hair wigs at all. I teach wig care and styling for cancer survivors, sell wigs in salons, and have worn wigs for the past 40 years. Learn how to care for wigs. You will make mistakes until you learn, that is how you learn.

Your first "out of the box" wig plopped onto your head will look just like a mop unless you do something with it.

Vieja
04-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I bought my wigs from a catalog which had instructions for measuring and I got a pretty good fit. Unfortunately I didn't give enough thought to color and at my age it should have had a lot of gray in it.

Vieja

Alberta_Pat
04-29-2010, 11:32 AM
I too have done my shopping online. My purchases have been from the breast form store (remove the spaces and add the com).

They have good products for all aspects of Cross Dressing, and the service has been great for me. They have an 800 number too, and will cheerfully assist you in selecting what you are after.

That said,like Vieja, I did not give as much thought to my first wig (wrong colour and style for me) but my second looks fab!

See my profile pic to see what I mean.

TGMarla
04-29-2010, 11:36 AM
I have had variable experiences in buying a wig. One store looked at me with the "gender variance cold shoulder", meaning since my gender didn't match the clientele they are used to dealing with when selling ladies' styles, they wanted nothing to do with me, regarded me as some kind of pervert, and couldn't wait for me to leave.

However, I did not have such an experience at one of their competitors. I called ahead and asked if she catered to the transgendered, and she warmly responded that she did. I had a wonderful experience in buying from her, and I will bring her my repeat business next time I want to buy another.

So don't judge all wig shops on your one poor experience. Call around and arrange to have a positive experience instead.

Gerrijerry
04-29-2010, 11:46 AM
don't even go back to a store that is to busy to help you. Your money is as good as anyones and a good smart store knows that. They will treat you well no matter how you are dressed. Make the call to find a place is easier then just walking in because once you have an appointment then others have to wait for you to get done. As for price. I agree with real hair and the price range is very wide due to style. But even the best wig needs to be kept up and restyled. So you will need to bring it either to a salon or a place that will do that for you. check with the store when you buy it if theywill help you maintain it also.

5150 Girl
04-29-2010, 11:58 AM
I don't know about buying them on line. I got burned by that once. It looked great on the model, but when it arived it didn't really look like the pic, But i tryed it anyway, and when I put it on, "it just wasn't me", ya know... Now I get all my hair at my local Merl Norman, where I can try it befoere I buy it!

mapletree
04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
thanks to everyone I went out again today and I purchased a beautiful wig --
thanks to all the cooments I went to another store and when they guided me to the male selection -- i said i am looking for womans wig for me

she said great we have a bigger slection asked me if i wanted to try them and I said yes so she gave a wig bin for my head and I had fun
it was great

thanks again to everyone

i am really happy what a great day

celeste26
04-29-2010, 04:07 PM
This partly why I've chosen to simply grow my hair long. I am lucky in the sense that I am not working and have no boss to please. It is now down past my collar and getting longer.

My wig size would be XX large.

mapletree
04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
with all of your many good ideas and support i went out today and boought a wig i just think is great

i tried on at least 30 and then went back to one and was really happy that I could try them on and get some support from the sales person -- she was great and just thanks everone

jenna_woods
04-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I am glad you found the wig for you,hope it makes you as happy as my wig does.

Darla Jean
05-02-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm an older woman (60's) and think I need a wig with more gray in it to announce my age...I am not trying to be young - just trying to be feminine for my age. Any advice ladies on how to find someone to assist with color and fitting? I'm thinking that I need to just march into a wig shop when I am out of town? Your thoughts? Thanks.

Melinda G
05-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I've bought several wigs online, and I was generally satisfied. You have to know your head size, and try to visualize what it will look like on you, not the model. Stay away from the extreme lengths and colors.