PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of drag queen acts?

suzy1
04-30-2010, 11:39 AM
I don’t know much about drag queens but I have been looking at some of them on youtube, and they are fantastic.
Three of the best are Gigi Monroe, Rupaul, and Victoria DePaula. But there are many more very talented performers. There dress, makeup, and dance routines are very good.
If I could start again I would love to have made a living that way.
So what do you girls think of them?

SUZY

Stephanie Anne
04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
A little over the top for my taste. They are entertainers first and foremost and do a damn good job of it.

Frank Marino is also a famous impersonator.

sissystephanie
04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
I think most of the good ones are very entertaining! But, unfortunately they do somewhat belittle those of us who crossdress simply because we like to. That aspect of Drag Queens I do not like! I have no desire to be a woman, just to wear their clothes. So I would never want to be a Drag Queen!

Deborah Jane
04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
There are some very good acts out there, but unlike the majority of us who try to look realisticly like women, they go for a much more OTT look.
Mind you I guess if I could get paid for it, I would too.

Stephenie S
04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Never seen an ACT. But I saw part of the Ru Paul television show, "Drag Race".

I thought it was just a little grotesque. And it certainly doesn't seem to be an easy way to earn a living.

Stephie

Eve_WA
04-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Actually, most drag queens are gay men who work as impersonators. There are exceptions of course. They do not desire to be women, and dont dress outside of performances, and other places where they are expected to be 'drag'. There are a few of 'us' that do drag performing, as are there a few hetero queens. But they are definitely in the minority. Drag is an art form, and a profession for most. It is not a lifestyle as our dressing is for many of us.

I associate with several drag queens, and go to a club that is owned by, and frequented by, drag queens. So I have had a chance to observe and converse, so as to better understand.

I guess I havent experienced the poking fun at CD's from DQ's. But as I present myself as TG may be the reason. I have received nothing but help, praise, and support from the DQs I have met here in the Seattle area.

Teri Jean
04-30-2010, 12:23 PM
A dear friend is a drag queen and she's having a ball at 65yrs young. We had a drag show in our student union of my university a couple weeks ago, and even though I was going to be out of town I stopped and talk to a couple the day before.

It's entertainment and can be fun also. Not only that but they are goooooooooood looking to boot. MHO Teri

Sarah Doepner
04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Drag Queens are amazing performers and I stand in awe at the illusion the best of them bring to the stage. There are also the drag queens who go with the over the top kabuki style makeup to make a caricature of women, exaggerating some of the things that crossdressers attempt to mimic. I personally don't know any drag queens who dress en femme for anything other than shows. That's not to say they don't exist, I just don't know them. It seems in general the goals a drag queen strives for are different from those held by a crossdresser.

While I don't have anything but respect for them, I regret that their great visibility creates the standard for crossdressers in the eyes of the general public. It's an education thing I guess. More power to them, regardless.

Joanne f
04-30-2010, 12:41 PM
They are doing what they enjoy doing and i have no problem with that and they are getting paid for it , a winner all round.:D

Chickhe
04-30-2010, 12:45 PM
It all depends if they are a good entertainer or not. There are many bad acts out there. One thing that really taints my enjoyment is when they try to act bitchy or swear... it just ruins the illusion. I think it could be fun to be in a drag act, but I'm not a good actor. I'll just stick to real-life drag on halloween.

joann07
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I think drag queens are fun and entertaining, but in line with what the other girls said, they are purely entertainment and not exactly a good representative of the transgender community.
Since they're more exposed to in the media (i.e. Rupal's "Drag Race") people get that impression that anyone who's dressed in women's clothes are drag queens and freak shows because of what they see on TV, the movies, Internet, etc, etc.

Whenever I am out in public, I don't try to be outlandishly or mockly feminine like how Rupal is because that's not how GG's are naturally. I do my best to be proper in order to break that image which the general public is typically exposed to by the Rupals of the world.

Hugs!

Andy66
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I love them. And I think drag queens are part of the reason some of us GGs have no problem with crossdressers. Yes, drag queens and crossdressers are different; but for many of us, drag queens are the first "men in dresses" we ever saw, and hopefully they made a good impression. :)

Niya W
04-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Well it all depends on the style of drag they are doing. Here in San Jose I'd say its more of female impersonation. in the SF area I see more trans folks doing the shows then what you would call a traditional drag queen. When they do some thing over the top its because the female they are impersonating is going over the top, such as some of the stuff cher, Aretha Franklin did .

Kelly DeWinter
04-30-2010, 01:42 PM
I have to agree with the minority here, I LOVE THEM !, They are entertainers first and formost. I love the over the top artistic displays. Seeing them perform is like having Cher,a parade, a fashion show all rolled into one . :)

Kelly

JulieC
04-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm fine with them from the perspective that it's just entertainment.

What bothers me is that society equates drag queen with crossdresser, and both suffer for the equating.

The women in the show "Transform Me!" on VH1 are probably termed as drag queens by most people who see the show, but they aren't. They are TG individuals who are being themselves. They also look great.

I saw a news article about a drag queen show recently, and early on in the article it talked of the performers trying to act and look feminine. Sorry, but I don't see it at all. Drag queens are aiming for a certain level of being over the top. What they present as is nothing like what we see in society in any respect. They aren't trying to be viewed as women. They're trying to be viewed as drag queens. Drag queens are the antithesis of most crossdressers out and about in society. Drag queens are "hey look at me!" whereas most crossdressers are just trying to pass, be treated as a regular person, be mostly overlooked.

As performance art, drag queen shows are great. I just wish society didn't equate it with crossdressing.

Teri Jean
04-30-2010, 02:15 PM
As I said earlier a friend of mine is a drag queen, a couple times a week, but she is also a transwoman the rest of the time. The thing is not all drag queens are men dressed as outlandish and provocative women, some are women. I see it as Kelly put it; it is like watching Cher or some other entertainer that goes beyond what would be more traditional attire. Madonna to name another.

Teri

Tina Dixon
04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
I think they rock, hell wish I was one.

Sallee
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
I love a good DQ show most DQs are fun and enjoy poking fun at all in a good natured way at least that is how I see it. Some are over the top but that is OK they are having fun and entertaining Some can pass so well they get taken for the real thing in a DQ bar.

Toni_Lynn
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Don't like 'em. I find 'em not funny, not entertaining, and painful and embarrassing to watch.

That said, the golden age of female impersonation however is a wonderful thing, with people like Jim Bailey from years ago and even Charles Busch from today.

I guess I see one as being dignified and the other not. I can't imagine that Jim Bailey would have ever done anything on-stage even remotely obscene. I can't say that for the stars of the drag queen scene.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

jennaj
04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Like most performance art there is some good ones and not so good ones. I haven't seen many shows, but have seen one really good show at Montreal's Gay Pride celebration last year, and another one that wasn't so great that was closer to a strip show than drag performance. Coming out to people I have been equated to DQ and usually am quick to point out the differences.

Me and a bunch of friends are going to a show tonight, all of them know I am TS and most have already seen my female presentation, but I am not FT yet. Should be fun. Another good thing about DQ shows is that they are very trans friendly.

Jenna!

Jessica Kelly
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I like most drag acts I see videos of, but the best one's in my opinion are the celebrity impersonators, some of them are uncanny!

Frédérique
04-30-2010, 05:41 PM
What do you think of drag queen acts?

They’re a drag. IMHO, and way too flamboyant for me, I’m afraid. If real women were up on stage, dancing, singing and making a lot of noise, I would be equally repelled, but that's just me. Perhaps I should explain that drag, queen, and act have nothing to do with my own personal version of crossdressing. Being able to pass, being quiet and reserved, and not drawing any undue attention are the parameters I live by. As such, it’s impossible for me to enjoy, or even watch, a drag show. It’s just too exaggerated. I could never be a drag queen, nor could I be a politician…:straightface:

Veronica Nowakowski
04-30-2010, 05:54 PM
I am not a fan of drag queens. I don't particularly dislike them, but all too often we're mistaken for drag queens and vice versa. From my understanding, though there are the transgendered interested in the sex of their birth as a partner, drag queens are particularly gay men putting on a show and it does not reflect them on the inside. If someone is transgendered, they are not a drag queen (unless they're perhaps an FTM who then crossdresses as a woman for a show).

It is, unfortunately, much of the LGB communities understanding of T.

Andy66
04-30-2010, 06:08 PM
A friend-of-a-friend of mine is a drag queen, AND transgendered and transitioning. It's not impossible.

Christinedreamer
04-30-2010, 06:51 PM
I see a major difference between a drag queen and a female impersonator. To my experience, drag queens go for OTT flamboyant even clownish appearance whereas FIs go for a much more realistic appearance and decorum.

Look at the difference in the queens in "Priscilla, QOTD" and "Too Wong Foo..." Even though both groups are referred to as drag queens, I would definitley pay to see ChiChi and Vita. They appear quite realistic although somewhat romanticized. (both were pretty hot actually) Not so much Noxema and NONE of the Priscilla crew.

Tina B.
04-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Well I have not been to a show in years, but back in the old days when Phinocchio's was a big tourist trap in San Francisco, I loved to go there, the shows where great, the Gal running the show was a little over the top, but most of the acts where singers well dressed, beautiful women, and playing it as straight as any female singer anywhere else. The tour busses use to line up out front, so the joint was always packed. It was fun because so many of the tourist always had a hard time believing they where really men.
I was saddened when they closed their doors, not sure if the rest are as good, but they where.
Tina B

docrobbysherry
04-30-2010, 07:38 PM
---were I younger;

I'm PRETTY SURE Sherry would insist we try to BECOME ONE!:eek:

Christinedreamer
05-01-2010, 01:48 AM
How many remember the 82 Club in NY? My first trip to NY I saw that show AND went to Michael Salem's place to make a first time purchase from a pro CDer. After I moved to California I practically lived at the Queen Mary in Studio City. I got to be good friends with the owner and did some electrical work for him and of course befriended the bartender. (saved a LOT on drinks)

The QM had a very diverse crowd and many CDs came there as a safe place. There were very few DQs in the show aside from the host, Butch. He was OTT but was always a hoot. The cast were all female impersonators and a few lived the TG life. The girls looked so good, that the QM and its cast were frequently used in TV shows and movies. The stars of the show were usually drop dead gorgeous and looked totally real. (yes there were a few silicone quuens with the bee stung lips and cheeks)

Hollywood celebs visited all the time to let their hair down and just have fun. Years ago, one of the impersonators doing Diana Ross was an absolute dead ringer for her. DR's staff approached the FI to be in the DR show in Vegas. Another was in the movie "Birdcage" as a Goldman Girl. Another was on numerous TV shows and in several movies.

I agree with other posters that CDs are lumped in with DQs as the vanilla public does not know or understand the difference and does not seem to anxious to learn. Then add in the predeliction of Hollywood to use CDing as an indicator of a criminal or pathological disease i.e. Psycho.

All in all it makes it rough on the garden variety of CD or TG.

Danielle Gee
05-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Never seen an ACT. But I saw part of the Ru Paul television show, "Drag Race".

I thought it was just a little grotesque. And it certainly doesn't seem to be an easy way to earn a living.

Stephie

I agree with Stephanie, They're not my cup of tea!!!

Danielle

Billie1
05-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Myself, I love drag shows. They're fun, entertaining, and everyone seems to have a good time. A great atmosphere, generally. Also a good excuse (like I need one) to get dressed to the nines, put a little more emphasis on the 'night' make-up (which I love to do!) and still remain a more-or-less mainstream part of the crowd.

Have met some of the performers, and some are very supportive, friendly and fun people to meet. Some take the 'diva' role a little too seriously, and it's kind of fun to interact with another level of CD'ing. (Yes, all DQ's are crossdressers, but not all crossdressers are DQ's) And to get dressed uber-sexy, and get paid for it? Where do I sign?:D

Avana
05-01-2010, 08:42 AM
I LOVE drag queens <3 <3 <3!

In addition to cross dressing, I also do drag every once in a while.

Karren H
05-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Its like any other art form.. I just love them!

Nicole Brown
05-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, IMHO, it is really just an art form and a means of self expression. I really don't have anything against the true drag performer, and have seen several who were quite entertaining. On the other hand, I truly enjoy a good female impersonator. Just watching Charles Busch in one of his unbelievable movies, I never had the opportunity to see him live on stage, is really a treat for me. Likewise, I was really moved when I watched Lee Pace in Soldier's Girl. It was a hard movie to watch, but Lee's performance as Calpernia Addams took my breath away.

sherri52
05-01-2010, 01:37 PM
They are extremeists in thier own right but I have to admit they are something to watch and I have plans on seeing a drag show after dinner tonight. Not my usual cup of tea but I'm taking a new girl (CD) out tonight along with a couple of my GG friends.

flatlander_48
05-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I've been to several drag shows and they are a lot of fun. It's a fine line to be fun and outrageous without being silly and some have really mastered how to do that. I highly recommend it!!

AmandaM
05-01-2010, 10:46 PM
I love Drag Queens! I've been to La Cage. Great show. But I too want society to see that CDers are usually different.

MsJanessa
05-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I think most of the good ones are very entertaining! But, unfortunately they do somewhat belittle those of us who crossdress simply because we like to. That aspect of Drag Queens I do not like! I have no desire to be a woman, just to wear their clothes. So I would never want to be a Drag Queen!

Actually most drag queens are like you--they have no desire to be a women--and are not transexual--and like the girls above I do admire their look

Sedona
05-01-2010, 11:23 PM
They're fine, and I go see a drag show every few years with friends, and have met a few of the performers. But, I don't feel I have much in common with them, at all.

txrobinm
05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I have much respect for the ones that do their own singing. Getting pretty and lip syncing? not so much

To be honest I don't really see the attraction of female impersonators as entertainment. Kind of like Guitar Hero vs playing the actual instrument- one is a toy and the other is rewarding.

Now the CDer who developes her own stage persona and act- that's something I want to see.

msginaadoll
05-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I love drag queens. Love to talk shop with them, get makeup tips, etc. Also respect the fact that the queens were some of the first that pushed for the rights of gays as well as some ways transgendered people in the United States. Alos I think the drag queens are one of the reasons that I as a CD is welcome in the gay/lesbian clubs that I frequent. They are entertainers- I dont think they demean either females or transgendered folk. I think where some have problems is that many are gay, and so many crossdressers are concerned that others will see them as gay. Well guess what IMHO you put on a wig dress, makeup etc dress looking like a female and many folks will assume you are gay. Its really not a giant leap.

Moolissa
05-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I love drag queens, they are very fun to watch. My problem til very recently was I thought crossdresses and drag queen were the same. Thank God for my crossdressing boyfriend I have come into the light!!!!!!!! lol:heehee:

Nicole Erin
05-02-2010, 11:02 AM
---were I younger;

I'm PRETTY SURE Sherry would insist we try to BECOME ONE!:eek:
Does that Sherry always lead you around by the short hairs? :heehee:

Now for me, I don't have the least in common with a drag queen. I do respect them though.

They are entertaining for sure.

They do have a good place in the TG world (Though they are not TG per se) cause think about it, they do give some exposure to the general public of "men in dresses" which seems to be how most people see any brand of TG.
Often when I get into chats (with GG's at least) about the TG life, they quickly bring up something about "drag race" or "Tu wong fu". Not exactly what we CD/TS are about but if it helps the public understand us on any level, great. :thumbsup:

And yes, they are getting paid for it, though I have talked to some who say that while they can make decent money at a show, a lot of the funds go right back into their outfits/accessories.

Most of all, am I not the one who always says one should live as they need to be happy?

renee k
05-02-2010, 11:14 AM
A friend-of-a-friend of mine is a drag queen, AND transgendered and transitioning. It's not impossible.

I agree with Anne, I have a friend who is transitioning and does shows. Her day job is working for a major cosmetic company as a sales rep. and she does makeovers too!

Those of us who remember Finnochio's in San Franciso's north beach. They had great shows, and none of the performers lip-synced to sing. They all looked fabulous too! Wish they were still around.

Renee

t-girlxsophie
05-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I have seen some fabulous Drag Acts.Funny Girls at Blackpool (uk) is an amazing night out with Incredible Performances.Hey If we got paid for Dressing up what could be better:heehee:
But alas,and through no fault of their own,Drag Queen is used in a derogatory
way,by the cerebrally challenged of Society unfortunately

Loni
05-02-2010, 03:52 PM
never been to a drag show, maybe one day???

getting paid to dress up could be a "drag" in and of it's self. (yes a pun on words):heehee:

Aubrey Green
05-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I think it is entertainment, plain and simple. Much the same as going to a movie. If someone is talented enough to be able to make a living, more power to them.

Frédérique
05-02-2010, 05:50 PM
I agree with other posters that CDs are lumped in with DQs as the vanilla public does not know or understand the difference and does not seem to anxious to learn. Then add in the predeliction of Hollywood to use CDing as an indicator of a criminal or pathological disease i.e. Psycho.

There is a huge difference between crossdressing, as we highly closeted types experience it, and drag queen acts that deal with exaggeration for attention. There are all types of crossdressers, and there are all types of female impersonators, so please don’t get upset reading the comparisons I’m about to make – these are for entertainment purposes only. My personal crossdressing is done in isolation, to please myself only, and “passing” in public is simply the result of not being noticed. For purposes of comparison, I will use the drag queen act in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert as my example for female impersonation. Here goes:

For me, crossdressing is to a drag queen act just like:

1. A whisper is to a scream…
2. A cup of tea, enjoyed alone, is to a noisy party…
3. A haiku is to a pop-up book, decorated with flocking…
4. A small, intimate painting (like a Vermeer) is to freight train graffiti…
5. A water biscuit is to an “Ace of Cakes” concoction…
6. A caress is to a slap on the back…
7. A gentle hug is to a body slam…
8. The game of cricket is to Ultimate Cage Fighting…
9. A note is to a manifesto…
10. Shyness is to extroversion…
11. Reality is to a TV reality show…
12. Glenn Gould, playing the piano, is to a Motley Crüe concert…
13. The film My Dinner With Andre is to Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen…
14. A sip of Cointreau (neat) is to a keg…
15. A tasteful dress is to a costume…
16. A smile is to a forced smile…
17. A thimble is to a sledgehammer…
18. Muted colors are to bright (or even fluorescent) colors…
19. Ballet slippers are to platform shoes…
20. A waltz is to a rave…
21. “Nothing Compares 2 U” is to “It’s Raining Men!”

And so on… I’m sure many of you will disagree, but I’m just trying to show how different crossdressing and drag acts CAN be. Many months ago I pointed out the difference between CD and drag by using the film The Birdcage as an example. In the film, Nathan Lane dresses up (rather tastefully) to pass as the boy’s mother – this is true crossdressing, even though he (she) was a drag queen by profession. Later in the film, Gene Hackman dresses IN DRAG to escape an embarrassing situation – he (she) doesn’t pass at all, even though the imposture is elaborate and funny, the whole purpose of drag. Can you see the difference? :thinking:

NYCphotographer
06-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Sometimes they are quite funny :) I like them in general.

Miranda09
06-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Well, I think they can be very theatrical and entertaining, and fun to watch........on occasion, but not too often, tho I must say, some really do know how to present themselves.

AlisonRenee
06-18-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm personally not much for flamboyance, but that's only my opinion and a reflection of my own personal taste. As for what I think of DQs: Not mine to judge, especially since we can get plenty of that without asking. The Golden Rule applies.

TxKimberly
06-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Honestly? I don't like most of 'em. I have an intense dislike of lip syncing and that is what the vast majority of drag shows are. For the most part, I dislike the overly flamboyant, probably for much the same reason that African Americans aren't fond of black face - it's a caricature or what we are.
Now the very few drag artists that actually sing, or do comedy, I'm all for that . . .

FemmeElastique
06-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Just too much. I'm really not interested in seeing drag queens lip sync to popular songs. I remember me and a friend (when I would go out in drab) used to go to the gay club in my hometown and we would hate it when there was a drag show because they would perform on the dancefloor. And it took time away from that. Ive even been asked by several people, while CDing, if I perform or would want to. I always said no and i'm not interested, but entertained the conversation and talked about it.

Sophie_C
06-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Not a fan. It's never real femininity. It's like an exaggerated joke of it. They are part of why we're not taken seriously (with Springer and Maury being worse, of course), and the first people think of when the word "crossdressing" or anything trans comes to people's minds.

Additionally, I simply don't "get" their motivation, one damn bit, since they're not really making a true effort to look like a REAL woman - overdrawn eyebrows, overdone makeup, hair completely over the top, ball gowns, etc - women just don't dress like that. So, why do they do it?

:confused:

And, I am quite aware that a handful of girls transition while performing, but everyone's got to start somewhere.

abigail43
06-18-2010, 03:28 AM
I believe drag queens make a mockery of cross dressing and transgenderism .On that note I am starting singing lessons on Tuesday to try and get a good technique to try and make my voice more femme ,I believe this would help me in my transition to be a more convincing woman. I am looking forward to it and the singing may come in handy with earning extra cash.

Yvonne York
06-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Far too over the top for me. I want to be quietly feminine, enjoying the feeling of being dressed, without all the burlesque drag image that damages what most of us girls want to be.

donninacd
06-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Who you saying's acting? :tongueout

Jorja
06-18-2010, 06:01 AM
I love a good DQ show. They are entertainment and just like a stand up comedian pokes fun at our everyday lives DQ's poke fun at being different.

If you can't Laugh at Yourself, Your missing the best Jokes

Loni
06-18-2010, 08:25 AM
never been to a show, have thought about going to one...but just never have.

NicoleScott
06-18-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't care for the act - the on-stage behavior - but I love the over-the-top look, the extravagant makeup. There's a time and place for it, though. Not for wearing to the mall.

Samantha B L
06-18-2010, 09:25 AM
There used to be ocaisional female impersonators on those TV variety shows in the sixties. I don't know if that's exactly the same thing as a drag queen or not. There was something very encouraging about seeing these female impersonators. Back in like 1963 that was one of the very few LGBT and TG/TS/CD entetainment things that they ever had on TV and they didn't have them often anyway.

sherri
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I agree with most of the negative reactions here. I find drag shows silly and boring at best, grating at worst. As for the DQs themselves, I don't like the stereotype that most seem compelled to adhere to, waaayy too brash. I've met a couple who are down-to-earth and real folks, but most just make me want to put some distance between me and them, on several levels. Which is kinda funny, cuz I think many of them are rather haughty towards "mere" xdressers, assuming we all worship them and wanna be just like 'em. Uh, no.

But I defend their right to be who they are and do what they do. Just don't buy me any tickets.

DemonicDaughter
06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes, and I'm a GG! :eek:

Years ago, being involved in much of the theater district in NYC, I've met my fair share of drag queens and I think we need some clarification!

Here's a link to give a bit of history on the subject. (http://www.glbtq.com/arts/drag_queens.html)

My "career" as a drag queen started when I was a dancer and working at a DJ company. Several of my friends there were also DQs and loved my rather...umm... unique sense of humor. :battingeyelashes: I loved it and still long to be on the stage in drag.

Now, not ALL DQ are gay men and it didn't originate in that manner (check out the link above for the details). It was merely men only allowed on the stage previously so they played women. This art form of playing a female came with a lot of prestige for those that could do it well and they were the most sought after actors of the time. Later on, it became the art of illusion and being able to "fool" the audience. Sort of like a magic show, so to speak.

Now a days, the smaller venues show more TG people than the drag queens most of you are referring to and therefore its just regular people (as in not actors, singers or dancers) trying to live out a dream of being in the spotlight as a female entertainer. This is where a lot of lip syncing comes in.

The higher end shows usually feature the more widely accepted version of a drag queen (a gay man impersonating a woman) and its more of a risque version of broadway. And that's suppose to be the point. They WANT to be over the top. They are usually portraying over the top characters (who mind you are usually GGs) like Joan Crawford, Liza Minnelli, Cher, Madonna, etc. The younger generation is taking on characters like Britney Spears, Pink and a few other "outrageous" entertainers.

The shows aren't for everyone and they are suppose to be a form of art. But like in any other field of art or entertainment, anyone can try it and convince themselves they are good at it even when everyone else disagrees.

Oh, and most of the DQ's I've ever met don't have any issues with CDers or TG people. Most of them can understand the desire to be feminine because they too enjoy that aspect of their performance, they just don't feel like extending it beyond the stage usually.

Princess Chantal
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
I love the drag acts that are creative in song choice, costuming (over the top and unique) and performing. The more thought out and unexpected x-rated comedic actions or language would totally break me into all out laughing episodes. I do like the overexaggeration of mannerisms of celebrities that some love impersonating. I really do adore those that draw up their own character personas and stick to it. A well choreographed show and/or group number is what I really prefer though.
I don't like drag acts that the performer does the same old dance moves, same old look, and same genre of music everytime on stage. In Winnipeg there were so many younger performers that would race around on the stage to the popular dance songs. Eventhough they were pleasant to the eyes (sexy and very feminine in appearance), I just couldn't stand their performances.

t-girlxsophie
06-18-2010, 12:49 PM
This thread reminds me There's a Car advert here in the U.K. featuring Drag Queen queuing up to get into a nightclub.when car rolls up with young guys in it,the driver shouts to the DQ "Oi Dad can you get us in" now I know its not much,and would have been better with a CDer,But on British Television thats the first time iv'e seen anything done in a positive light regarding TGs instead of showing hairy big guys in flowery dresses. so they used Drag Queens not Ideal.but its a small step forward IMO

~Michelle~
06-18-2010, 11:28 PM
What do you think of drag queen acts?

I don't have a problem with a drag queen act, as long as it's just that....an act, like with Dame Edna which I find highly talented and amusing.

As for rest... don't go there with me...sigh

linnea
06-19-2010, 09:34 AM
I am impressed by many of them, and there are some who are beautiful and extraordinarily talented. I haven't really seen many, but those that I have seen make me wishful and a little jealous that I would like to look so beautiful.

Sheren Kelly
06-19-2010, 10:05 AM
While I am not a fan of the campy style of drag most common in gay clubs, I do admire their attitude and confidence. It is from the Queens that I learned to never let others throw their unsecurities on you and of course to be "FIERCE".

Recently I have been fascinated by the Japaneese singer Kaya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYvmJIjInww

He has a wonderful voice and performs in women's costumes, usually if victorian dresses. I find that he is very feminine and dignified while not denying that he is a male.

Cheryl James
06-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I find myself agreeing with both the positive and negative comments on this thread. For me, though, I owe that entertainment genre a debt of gratitude. For most of my youth and young adult life I didn't know that anyone else dressed in women's clothing, not to mention looking good while they were doing it. When I attended my first drag show in San Francisco, I remember thinking that maybe I wasn't defective after all. So, on that basis, I have some gratitude toward that art form.

Sophie_C
06-19-2010, 04:34 PM
While I am not a fan of the campy style of drag most common in gay clubs, I do admire their attitude and confidence. It is from the Queens that I learned to never let others throw their unsecurities on you and of course to be "FIERCE".

Recently I have been fascinated by the Japaneese singer Kaya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYvmJIjInww

He has a wonderful voice and performs in women's costumes, usually if victorian dresses. I find that he is very feminine and dignified while not denying that he is a male.

I really don't think that's drag. It's like a specific subtype of cosplay. Just FYI...

JoAnne Wheeler
06-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I think that they demean crossdressers and transsexuals - they appear to be making fun of us and I do not like being made fun of because I am Transgendered.

JoAnne Wheeler

Julogden
06-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Back in 1985, I started going to The Baton in Chicago, and they had a great show back then. The Baton performers back then were a mixed bag, many considered themselves pre-op TS's, but there were a few traditional drag queens too. I became a regular there and I got to know a few of the people who worked there, nice folks generally, but many of them lived hard lives. Some of them have since died violent deaths, some of them fell victim to drug addiction too, and then there's AIDS. But I mainly remember their good side, and they sure were a fun bunch.

And at least one of my Baton friends has gone on to be quite the actress, Alexandra Billings (http://www.alexandrabillings.com/), who went by the stage name of Shante back then.

So I have mainly respect and affection toward DQ's, they're generally really strong, amazing people, living sometimes difficult lives the best they can, same as everyone else. I would urge those here who have never had the opportunity to actually know some drag queens to maybe curb your tendency to talk trash about them, as I never heard them talk trash about CD's.

All of us were welcome at the Baton.

Carol

Nicola2876
06-20-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm not really a fan to be honest. It's not their fault but most uneducated people think drag queens and CDers are the same thing:sad:

BRANDYJ
06-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Honestly? I don't like most of 'em. I have an intense dislike of lip syncing and that is what the vast majority of drag shows are. For the most part, I dislike the overly flamboyant, probably for much the same reason that African Americans aren't fond of black face - it's a caricature or what we are.
Now the very few drag artists that actually sing, or do comedy, I'm all for that . . .

Exactly what Kimberly said. (saves me a lot of typing!)

ShevanAZ
06-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Im not a fan... They are too animated for me

Julogden
06-20-2010, 02:21 PM

What you're saying makes sense, but I'd differ about them being a caricature of us, more accurate to say they're a caricature of females, and keep in mind that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I think it's safe to say that there are PLENTY of CD's who are also a caricature of females, maybe most of us, and CD's often choose the ****tiest females to emulate in dress and manner, so let's not go there, as many CD's are at least as bad in that department. :2c:

Just plain lip-syncing is pretty boring, agreed, but the best FI/DQ performers also have amazing dance routines that definitely take a lot of talent to pull off, not to mention having great outfits and great makeup/hair.

Carol

Prissy Linda
06-20-2010, 02:41 PM

I agree with TxKimberly, not a fan

Kitty Sue
06-22-2010, 04:01 PM
I like Drag shows generally. I just wish I had some of their confidence. I have frequently been approached by the queens which is rather flattering. I know, I am easily impressed. :)