PDA

View Full Version : What is with you crossdressers?

Karren H
05-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah that's right... you! Why do so many crossdressers call people "hun".. Or "hon".... its totally annoying to me... AND real women don't call other people "hon".. Ok the 85 year old waitress down at the truck stop called me hon once!! And I've heard creapy old guys call young girls hun... Which weirds me out... But that's it! Like your giving your self away!!

Many time on Makeuptalk I'll be reading a thread and someone will say "Thanks hon" and right away I'm thinking Crossdresser alert! Woo wooo wooo... Lol. And 9 times out of 10 they are crossdressers trying to "sneak" in under the radar and pass online.. The 1 out of 10 I assume is the old waitress.. Her kids probably got her a PC and lord knows she could use makeup help big time!

So not that it really matters to me but if you are one of the afore mentioned "hon" speakers... Why??

paulinescotlandcd
05-01-2010, 05:54 PM
No idea, you got me hon...

Karren H
05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
No idea, you got me hon...

Right. Like I totally didn't see that coming!! Hahah!!

PretzelGirl
05-01-2010, 05:59 PM
My ex-wife always called everyone Hon. No she wasn't a crossdresser (I think I have that one covered). I think it is common for those from the south, sweetie.

Danielle Gee
05-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I with you Karen, It creeps me out and I try not to ever use the word myself....To ANYONE!!!

Deborah Jane
05-01-2010, 06:05 PM
MY SO calls people hon, she sure as hell ain't a crossdresser or an 85 year old though
I guess it's like asking why some people call everyone guys, it's just something people do.

Karren H
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
...... I think it is common for those from the south, sweetie.

And there's another good reason I'll never move south of the Mason-Dixon line ever again! Lol.

BRANDYJ
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
I've heard it and usually from the senior set. But I wonder Karen, do you feel the same way about someone calling others honey? It's funny, the ladies I work with call each other Honey all the time, but I don't think I have heard any of them use the shorter version. How about Sweetie, or Darling? Yes, some CD'ers use those terms in talking to each other, just like the women do.
But I guess there's a lot worse things to be called.

Renelle
05-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Would "Hugs and snuggles" be better? To each his/her own, I guess. I think you're just upset because hockey season is almost over.

Toni_Lynn
05-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I dunno -- sure beats being called bee poop :doh:

But what if that CDer being addressed has the first name Atilla?

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Kaz
05-01-2010, 06:11 PM
It's in the same category as "mate", "guys", la de da.... I try not to use it... it is intended as a "welcome in" term, but does it work? For me no, for my SO no too... So hun/hon...!!

Love Kaz xx

RADER
05-01-2010, 06:17 PM
My wifes home health care people call my wife "Missy"
Now she is over 65, and it has been a long time that she was
a "Miss". I get tired of them calling her that, But I just figure the
source. :doh: Rader

TxKimberly
05-01-2010, 06:21 PM
That has always been a sore point with me too. Besides, I think those terms are reserved for loved ones. My wife is free to refer to me as "dear" (often does) or "hun" (never done it) but anyone else addressing me that way kind of annoys me.

AllieSF
05-01-2010, 06:22 PM
"Hon", "Deary", sweetie" and all the rest of those sweet endearments from total strangers tend to turn me off too. I especially do not like it when a stranger says that to me in guy mode in restaurants, stores or anywhere. I appreciate that some people grew up with that and that is OK, however, I feel sometimes that they are invading my personal territory, almost like that mystical personal space that we sometimes have and feel uncomfortable when someone invades it and stands too close. And last but not least, like that advertisement song that you just can't stand hearing and all of a sudden find your self singing to yourself, some bad habits get picked up like a toenail fungus, (that I have just discovered is what I have! - drats) and that is just as hard to get rid of!

Sheila
05-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I would think it sure as heck beats being called Mister :D

Sandra
05-01-2010, 06:26 PM
It's better than what I call some of you :tongueout

Sara Jessica
05-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Using flowery language like that, in my honest opinion, is an attempt by some to exhibit femininity in their speak. The clothes are there, as might be the overall look and mannerisms, etc. So for many it seems natural to add the flowery speech but to my ears, it comes across as forced and contrived more often than not. I listen for what's in the heart as stated by mere words in determining in my mind whether I'm hearing a soprano or baritone in these pages. Contrived speach usually makes me hear a baritone.

BTW, just watched the Kentucky Derby. The winning jockey kept calling the woman who was interviewing him "sweetie" and "baby". D'ya think he was one of us? Nah, that was likely southern-speak which means that my perception described above likely should be tempered somewhat in knowing that people simply speak in that manner in different parts of the country.

SherriePall
05-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Karren -- I will have to now remember to never again use the term Hun in any of my postings. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront. Thanks to you, dear, I pledge not to use that term of endearment.

Christina2008
05-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Ha Ha , nice question.
I get called honey, sweetheart, darling at work in male mode at work, so "hon" here is less than I'm used too. (unless I don't manage to fix their computer problem, in which case its ... useless £$%@ !!!)
But since I personally have never used the word myself on this forum I guess I won't reply to this post. oops

Bobbie Bee
05-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Lighten up Francis! I don't see anything wrong with the Hon label. It's like the other short names or titles used in everyday life like Babe, Sweetie, etc. None of them bother me. Just don't call me late for dinner.

Simply_Vanessa
05-01-2010, 06:34 PM
actually hun, the young GGs I come into come into contact with say hun all the time. including my sisters, and my ex gf. linguistics is ever changing, dont feel bad if you feel left behind you old bat :)

Rachel Morley
05-01-2010, 06:46 PM
My own personal view is that I don't like it because it sounds condescending. IMHO mothers, and others often seem to say it to children and that's why (for me) it sounds condescending ..... although, granted, it does depend on the context of how it's said, even so I don't happen to personally like it. :2c:

Karren H
05-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Karren -- I will have to now remember to never again use the term Hun in any of my postings. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront. Thanks to you, dear, I pledge not to use that term of endearment.

Yeah! I could put "No hon zone" in my signature just to remind everyone!! Lol

Kate Simmons
05-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Damn, I thought I had the copyright on that endearing nickname.:battingeyelashes::)

CharleneT
05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Sweetie, calm down ... it isn't that bad honey, you have just read the wrong threads ! Really going forward won't you just die if I don't call you dear (even though we've never met and probably never will?) ??? Why are you getting your panties in a bunch for anyway hun ? HUH ? I mean really, don't you think this is how all women talk ?? I do ... :eek:

Truth is, some do, most don't.

janelle
05-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Just have to comment here hun. I have many ladies(GG) at work that talk that way & this is un a factory. Also it is done alot in restaurants, which to me is better than hearing " what will you guy's have". This is not just when my lady friend & I go out to eat I have seen & heard it from other tables. I believe it just depends are where you are living at any special time.

Good luck dear, sweetheart ( like those better)

Hugs

docrobbysherry
05-01-2010, 07:08 PM
My ex-wife always called everyone Hon. No she wasn't a crossdresser (I think I have that one covered). I think it is common for those from the south, sweetie.

When someone I know here says something particularly kind or "SWEET", to me! Because THAT'S how I think of them at that moment!:)

No one's EVER said anything THAT sweet to me, tho. That I thot of them as a "HONEY"!:brolleyes:

renee k
05-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Karren, I agree when I hear "hon" all I can think of is "Flo", down at the dinner cracking gum and pouring coffee. And yes it really bugs me!

Renee

Karren H
05-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Ok there are exceptions to every rule.. Especally when I'm making the rules.. :D but I'll bet if I look hard enough I'll find a correlation to people who say "hon" and people who wear their purses on the wrong sholder? :)

AllieSF
05-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I am actively practicing to keep my purse on my left shoulder when en femme and on my right shoulder when in drab mode. That is why I got both of my ears pierced instead of just one. I just couldn't figure out which side was for gays only. Now I am gay on both sides!

Ellen James
05-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Oops - sorry, luv :sad:

I promise to do better, really! :heehee:

Bobbie Bee
05-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Karen, what side is the purse suppoed to be carried? I thought this was a personal preference and not a rule.

BrendaAlexandra
05-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I agree with Karen on the Hon thing. Not so much on the Pens thing though. You hear "hon" a bit more around the Baltimore-Washington area. I get hon, honied, sweetied, and sugared a lot mostly by older women. There is even an annual Hon Fest in Baltimore.

http://www.honfest.net/

Carrie R
05-01-2010, 08:06 PM
A young woman working at a tanning salon called me hon the other day, she didn't seem manly at all. :D
Didn't bother me a bit.

Midnight Skye
05-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I live in the south... no one I'm around every uses Hun (me either... that'd just be weird at my age). On the other hand I did have a Hispanic woman call me something strange at the register... what was it... "sweetie" She said it a number of times though because I ended up having a technical problem at the register. It was very cute... I hadn't had anyone call me that before.

Ms Jennifer
05-01-2010, 08:11 PM
:daydreaming:O.K. How about PUMPKIN :brolleyes:Must be a southern thing .I don't think anyone meant any harm.Have a nice day.:love:

Jannette H
05-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Thank You Karren, The only one that calls me Hon is my SO no one else...
We are all Ladies here, I think that's kind of what we're striving for here isn't it?

christinek
05-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I live in the South and I get called dear, sweetie, and the like all the time.

The lingo to watch for is this one "Bless his/her heart" that usually follows some bad comments but makes it ok due to the blessing part :sad:

It is an easy and polite way to talk trash about others and still look good in the graces of those around you. To bad those who say it need to spend more time in gods house and practice what they preach :sb: OK sorry!

Back to the prepaid advertisement :D

For those of us old! You can call me Jane, You can call me Jill, You can call my Jenny, You can call me Jennifer! :D The younger crowd will have no clue what I am referring too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egr3HFB7hc4

Annaliese2010
05-01-2010, 08:32 PM
So not that it really matters to me but if you are one of the afore mentioned "hon" speakers... Why??"Hun" is cool but there's others if that bothers you. Hell...it's a spur of the moment kinda thingy. Don't you ever feel moved by someone, a stranger even? A kind of instant simpatico? A genuine sympathy, empathy, lovey-dovey thing? A transient feeling of endearment? To me it just sorta happens...and u can tell if it's ok or not by her vibe, her sign, smile, shine or misery...and by how genuine or innocent is you're feeling.

It's called 'being in the moment' hun honey babe baby baby-doll angel sunshine sweetie sweet-thing sweetie-pie lil darlin freckles blue-eyes bird boo beautiful bunny chick cutie cutesy-pie cupcake doll dish dahlin dream-girl girlfriend gorgeous hottie hot-stuff lover good-lookin peach pet precious princess pussy-cat sugar girly-girl hot-stuff woman... :battingeyelashes:

Jason+
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Add to the list "baby." This is a form of what I heard best described as verbal fondling that I will not miss when/if I end up leaving the south. It bothers me when the waitress does it equally as much as when the "admirer" who hasn't taken the time to read my profile and find out that "baby" is closer to a linebacker than his concept of an admirable object. :brolleyes:

Angiemead12
05-01-2010, 08:46 PM
I use dear sometimes not hon! thats for my SO!

AlexaRay
05-01-2010, 08:51 PM
To me it just sorta happens...and u can tell if it's ok or not by her vibe, her sign, smile, shine or misery...and by how genuine or innocent is you're feeling.

I used to be a chef at a restaurant, many of the employees were a lot older than I was. I wasn't called sir (or ma'am for that matter hehe) I was "Hun, hunny, sweetie, or chef" The younger ones called me chef the older ones called me hun. It never bothered me. Then again, I am from the south, and have been around it my whole life. Perhaps it's the common courtesy I feel when I'm there. When I was on the Subway in DC once a tourist asked a nicely dressed business woman if she would switch seats so she could sit next to her husband, the nicely dressed business woman replied in no uncertain terms "f*4% no!" and began complaining to the phone about the *%&#$ tourists" Isolated incident? Perhaps, perhaps not :) I just feel like we could all be nicer to each other and a simple term of endearment never offended me, really only makes me smile :)

Of course, to each their own :)

mapletree
05-01-2010, 08:53 PM
not my style and so i do not know

Annaliese2010
05-01-2010, 09:11 PM
What I hate is when I'm really crushin on a waitress...no, I mean like for real...like, I wanna make a move, ask her out or something...then get called 'honey'...wishing so much it actually meant something, knowing it doesn't...but then...I mean sometimes is actually does but because of the casual use of such a word the meaning or significance is blurred and so you never know if you're blowing-off something that's good and real and possible by assuming she means one thing when it's really the other thing... hmm. Then again, GG women do that to you like...constantly. Never know where u stand, which ways up or down... and if you're too loose with your feelings she'll read u like a book play u like a violin have you stut stut stuttering ur words trippin over feet and fallin down hard 'fore u know it! WOMEN! It's a losing battle from the get-go, she's holding all the high cards, all u can do is pose, bluff, try to hide ur love, ur intentions - though goodly and true they may be...ugh... (god I LOVE it though...aint no such thing as a bad GG babe - even the bad one's are oh...so...goood, yeah!)

Wen4cd
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm from Baltimore. 'Hon' is the common parlance I grew up with. I shall use the pleasantries and endearments of my native Baltimorian culture without shame, hon.

Melinda G
05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't use that term. But I have been called Hon several times recently, mostly by waitresses.

cdsara88
05-01-2010, 09:50 PM
actually, when i'm shopping as a guy a lot of GGs (store employees) call me hun

Tracii G
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Can't say I use that term.kinda makes me feel odd to get called that.

Jonianne
05-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Here in Virginia every woman 30 and over, in a store, calls everyone Hun. Hear it all the time, don't bother me none. Actually, I like it.

victoriamwilliams1
05-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I think those are regional words used by women over 50, I am hearing the new word to be sweaty.

DeniseCA
05-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Too funny, I think I've done that! Thanks for pointing it out hun, I'll try to be more careful next time! :)

Marla
05-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Way to go Karen!

AmandaM
05-01-2010, 10:44 PM
And there's another good reason I'll never move south of the Mason-Dixon line ever again! Lol.

Except'n maybe with your carpet bag? Dang Yankee! :devil::tongueout

MsJanessa
05-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Sorry Ho---whoops, I mean Darling---I suppose people like to call you hon because youre so cute :) and like the girl above said--it sure beats the hell out of being called Mister, sir or buddy

RachelPortugal
05-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Ok the 85 year old waitress down at the truck stop called me hon once!! .. The 1 out of 10 I assume is the old waitress.. Her kids probably got her a PC and lord knows she could use makeup help big time!

So not that it really matters to me but if you are one of the afore mentioned "hon" speakers... Why??

Use the term very rarely myself, but my 26 year old daughter says "hun" all the time to her female friends, colleagues and customers. She's not in the old waitress category but maybe its a regional thing. She's in southern England, where the 85 year old waitress is more likely to call you "ducks" or "duckie", whether your male or female.

Rachael

Lover girl
05-02-2010, 03:38 AM
Karren brings the point about the word " HUN " I don't give it a second thought. There are much worse out there. I guess that if that word bothers people, Then I must be in a peck of trouble. In my signature I have the saying " Love Ya Girlfriend ". To me it's like a closing statement or a catch phase. It is not to be taken that " I love you " or that your my girlfriend. What about my screen name " Lover Girl " Does that offend people as well??? I don't see these phrases as bad or condesending. I just see it as an opening or closing statement and not to be taken literaly. Any thoughts on this???

eluuzion
05-02-2010, 03:52 AM
I get that fingernails down a blackboard feeling with most "pet/endearing" type references. Similar to my annoyance trying to read something where the author uses third person perspective. I feel like I am in a schizophrenic trance, lol.

Just curious if adding a "g" on the end of that "hun" would make it more palatable?

just a thought...:battingeyelashes:

Rianna Humble
05-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Yeah that's right... you! Why do so many crossdressers call people "hun".. Or "hon".... its totally annoying to me... AND real women don't call other people "hon"..

Seems that the GG's I frequent must not be real women!

My boss is half my age and she called my other self "hun", and now uses it for me.

Two GG's I know "oop north" also call both "him" and me "hun" (one of them only twigged recently that "he" is my old self).

My local MP is about my own age and only knows my old self, she often calls me either "hun" or "darling". We're what the other two would call "Bloomin sutherners".

None of these is even remotely TG, but I guess from what you have said they can't be real women either - so what does that make them?

Or could it just be regional variations on speech?

It's better than what I call some of you :tongueout

Do tell!

IMHO mothers, and others often seem to say it to children and that's why (for me) it sounds condescending .....

OMG does that mean my boss is my mother and I never knew? :eek:
Now that would be a miracle of science. As my other self reminded her they other day I'm old enough to be her mum :heehee:

DAVIDA
05-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Well, Karren, the last time I crossed the Mason-Dixon line it was in Maryland.
Karren, Maryland is nowhere near the south!
Bless your heart!:heehee:

Sheila
05-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Actually I perfer to be called by my name.. It just seems more personal..

Well give us your name and we will call you that if you like :tongueout:tongueout

Michelle Charles
05-02-2010, 05:26 AM
Lot's of women in my world use it, feels natural and feminine to me. I married a Lousiana girl and she uses it all the time

Billie1
05-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Just curious if adding a "g" on the end of that "hun" would make it more palatable?

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Tamara Croft
05-02-2010, 05:45 AM
So now we know how to wind up Karren Hutton... call her 'hon' or 'hun' when replying to her :devil:

Tell me something, do your makeuptalk staff know you're a CD?

BRANDYJ
05-02-2010, 05:57 AM
I know how names or references about us can make some of us cringe. HON or HUN does not bother me. But being in retail, one name that really bothers me is 'clerk'. IE: "is there a sales clerk that can help me"?
Or the term 'sissy'. If anyone ever called me a sissy, they'd find out real fast how UN-sissy I am. I am a CD and I am submissive to my lady, but one thing I'm not is a sissy.

My Lady hates the term 'Mistress', so I learned a long time ago to never refer to her as 'Mistress' I also learned to not like that term for a dominant woman either.
So while some in a D/s lifestyle embrace those terms, we chose to not like them or use them.
Funny how some titles, names or terms bother some of us. But I'd rather be called most anything but 'sissy' HUN or HON is a lot more friendly.

bredalee25
05-02-2010, 06:12 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!
So karen you asked whats with you crossdressers as if to say that you aren't one. Whats up with that as long as i've been a member here you've been and ever shall be a crossdresser.

Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree here but I call them as I see them.

The young girl at the mini mart always calls me hon and i'm ok with that as well as anyone else using the word ever heard of freedom of speech it's a god givin right for anyone in the USA to say what ever the hell they want to say no matter what damage it does.

My advice karen is if ya can't run with the big dogs then keep you puppy a** on the porch.

Raychel
05-02-2010, 06:15 AM
My father used to call my mother "hun", other then that the only time that I hear it now is at the coffee shop. One of the waitresses there calls everyone "hun", she is always so happy and pleasant, It pissed me off. No one should be that happy all the time. I even asked here if she was a total bitch at home. She laughed of course.

I won't tell you what my wife calls me. Tamara would certainly ban me. :heehee:

Karren H
05-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Well, Karren, the last time I crossed the Mason-Dixon line it was in Maryland.
Karren, Maryland is nowhere near the south!
Bless your heart!:heehee:

Yeah... I live 30 miles north of the MD line and except to visit.... TO DAMN HOT below the line and getting hotter...... May have to migrat northward and change my rule to the Artic Circle.... Bet Canadians don't say "hon", Eha? Except Maybe Christina!! lol

WOW!!!!!!!!
So karen you asked whats with you crossdressers as if to say that you aren't one. Whats up with that as long as i've been a member here you've been and ever shall be a crossdresser.

Nooo... It's an impleid "You crossdressers... that say hon"... vs those that don't.... By the time this thread is closed I'll be my new bra that everyone will be saying it!! hahahaha

So now we know how to wind up Karren Hutton... call her 'hon' or 'hun' when replying to her :devil:

Tell me something, do your makeuptalk staff know you're a CD?

hahaha... I tend to wind myself up for some unknown reason... and Yes they do... From day one.... I was straight up with every one and when the Jr Admin's came to me and asked if I wanted to be a mod, the owner, a guy, was very leary about "hiring" a "guy", but things have worked out great and we get along very well... A couple of the mods and I even call each other and exchange gifts.... :):):)

skirtsuit
05-02-2010, 06:28 AM
If you think Maryland is nowhere near the south, then you haven't spent much time on the Eastern Shore. Philly's far enough south for me!

I think Karen's OP was about people using 'hon' on the forum, not people using it real life. I suppose if you could somehow prove that you do call people 'hon' in real life, we might let you do it here.

All the Best,
Ann / SS

Philipa Jane
05-02-2010, 07:20 AM
As sad as it may be I am just glad that somebody speaks to me.LOL
PJ

Perlita85
05-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Like many of you I spend some time looking at guys and gals and observing their manerims and lagauge usage. In my place of work there is 3 to 1 female to male ratio; this is a local abnormality as in other part of my orgnization the ratio is reverted. In any case, i have notice that almost all of my female coworkers call everbody a sweetie, hooney, hon, sugar, girl (yes I seen woman calling other woman girl, and on ocasion even to man). I do not call anybody any name except the name they give themselves, but I do not mind being called any "sweet name." My Lady boos always startsa meeting by saying" "OK gilrs, let see" I alwys look at her, and she winks her eye.

Karren H
05-02-2010, 07:48 AM
As sad as it may be I am just glad that somebody speaks to me.LOL
PJ

Awwwww. :(

Lol.

Sandra
05-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Do tell!

Alphabetical, numerical.....sorry if I posted them, then I'd have to mod myself :devil:

msniki48
05-02-2010, 07:56 AM
well my wife calls me hun, my neighbor sharon calls me hun..[when she sees niki] I guess no matter what we say....we are gonna PISS someone off.

somehow nobody let's anything just roll off their backs anymore....someone has to be offended, and the rest of the world has to stop what they naturally do....:eek:

just my thoughts Hun!

:hugs:

AKAMichelle
05-02-2010, 09:08 AM
I personally don't say "HUN". Although I did spend a lot of time in the Knoxville where you heard "HUN" as an everyday word.

Your post reminded me of a very funny story. A woman was working at an antique store in Townsend, TN which is very close to Gatlinburg, TN and she had several customers in the store. One of the couples was from the northeast. The wife of one couple was looking through the store for that piece she couldn't live without. The husband was talking to the woman running the store. All of a sudden the wife came up to the woman and told her to quit flirting with her husband. The woman running the store protested and said she wasn't. But the wife persisted. The woman running the store asked why she felt like she was flirting with her husband. The wife said because you keep calling my husband - HUN!

In the southeast the word "HUN" is a part of everyday life. I have a client in Atlanta who calls me HUN all of the time. I don't think anything about it, but it does remind me of home.

Tina B.
05-02-2010, 09:34 AM
While I will admit my wife was a waitress at one time, and she is over 60, she uses Hon/hun all the time. She also carries her purse on her right shoulder.
Now after 37 years of marriage I am pretty sure I'm the one thats the cross dresser, not her. But since I carry my purse on the left shoulder (even before you pointed it out) I am now confused. To make matters worse, the other night as we where getting ready for bed she noticed what I was wearing, and told me it was a good thing she was not the jealous type. When I asked her why she said "Your so cute and coordinated, and I'm all just what ever I pull out of the drawer". Well I started to tell her she was very handsome, and then thought better of it. Does this mean she should be a member here instead of me?
Oh , and she has never lived in the south.
And if you think about it a waitress or sales person talk to so many people a day, and Hun sounds so much more friendly than, Hey you, what do you want.
Tina B.
Besides Karren sometimes when you get to page 3 of these post you forget how some of this names are spelled you know things like Karren with two r's instead of one, so hun is an easy way to get around that.

Andy66
05-02-2010, 09:48 AM
My own personal view is that I don't like it because it sounds condescending.

<snip>

..... although, granted, it does depend on the context of how it's said
Exactly! I only call people names like that if I really like them. Or if I'm being sarcastic or something.

...It creeps me out too when old men call people hun.

PortiaHoney
05-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Well hun, it's better than another shortening of the term - "ho". Or was that "ho hum".

I never used the term while I was CD, but now I am FT, I am finding myself using the terms hun, darl, sweetie, biatch, buddy....... a lot. I am having an awful time remembering names and I would like to keep the relationships with the people I know on a more initmate level than, "excuse me but I don't remember your name" especially when it's my sister or cousin.

Pleasant days to you

Portia

msginaadoll
05-02-2010, 10:09 AM
It used to bother me. I had a coworker who was younger than me and she called me hun but she called others that too. I have been called that numerous times by waitresses both younger and older than me. I think it is like a disease and it is spreading. I have even begun to drop it into my vocabulary.

michelle2020cd
05-02-2010, 10:11 AM
You better stay out of the south, Karen, Hon

Moolissa
05-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Not a big problem with hon or hun. What really bad to me is when I'm called "babe" or "baby" This is to me just demeaning to us girls, said by anyone.

NathalieX66
05-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Hun (Hon) is a Baltimore thing. I hear women say it in various parts of the city, notably the eastern potion

Stephanie Anne
05-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I call my friend skirts, is that better?

Jamie001
05-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I would much rather be called "hun" rather than "sir".

Deidra Cowen
05-02-2010, 11:28 AM
I never use "hon" but plead guilty to saying "sweetie" alot in girl mode.

weekend woman
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Whenever dealing with unknown females such as in a retail situation I almost always refer to that person as "dear". Never had a negative reaction. Besides it beats calling them 'hey you". Got that hun! Oh! I almost forgot, I carry my bag on my right shoulder.

Eagle2000
05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Personally any girl over here (Ireland) who lives in a village/town seems to use especially alot of the shopkeepers.

Tess
05-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I grew up in an age when there was less sensitivity to many parts of the language that now can only be used with caution. Hon doesn't bother me. It's much better than what I got called in Air Force basic training.

Elsa Larson
05-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I hear "hon" a lot while in guy mode.

Maybe because I look a bit like Santa or a kindly grandfather.

Tina Dixon
05-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Got me, but hey hun why can't your hockey team stick with one logo?

Frédérique
05-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Why do so many crossdressers call people "hun".. Or "hon".... its totally annoying to me... AND real women don't call other people "hon"..

Let’s see…:thinking:

I’ve been called ”hun” only once around here, so far. It’s kind of a “flat” comment that has no love in it, as far as I’m concerned. I felt strangely…old…when I first heard it…:sad:

I like to call other members “dear,” or “darling,” but it all depends what the context is. I try to come across as endearing to my friends, since that is how I sincerely feel – you have to get to know me first, though. It’s better to be affectionate among my “fellow” crossdressers, but things don’t always work out that way, so I tailor my language to fit each situation. But, I would never call anyone “hun,” simply because of the Golden Rule – if the word put me off, it will most likely put you off, too, which is not my ultimate intention on this site (believe me!)…:doh:

sissystephanie
05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
The word "Hon" or more recent "Hun" is generally used because the person speaking does not know the real name of the person they are speaking to. And I think most people would agree that it is nicer than than saying Hey you, or what's up, or something like that. I do think it is more prevalent in the South than elsewhere. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and rarely ever heard it used until we moved to the Atlanta, GA area in 1983. I get called that all the time in restaurants and some other places. The places where Stephanie shops mostly have SA's who know Stephanie and call me by that name! But as long as people talk to me, they can call me almost anything they want! Especially when it is time to eat!:heehee:

Aubrey Green
05-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Yo bub! Hey you! Mac! doesn't someone have their panties in a bind!

Yes, those are alot better then "Old fart, senior citizen, old dude"

Babette
05-02-2010, 06:08 PM
For years, I have been reading about the lifestyle of the infamous Karren Hutton. The same person who has tried more kinds of makeup than shopping mall full of teenage girls; who is a regular on numerous forums including a makeup forum; who uses a stall in the office men's rooms for changing into "Uber Woman" and then takes pictures; who uses sandpaper to smooth her legs and suggests that we all try a belt sander.

I was beginning to worry if Karren Hutton had no boundaries. At last, the CD world has received news of her limitations. Thank goodness for small insights. She might have done something a little crazy if one of us accidentally called her the "H" word. :eek: Don't worry sugar, no one here will ever call you hon again.:tongueout

Babette

ReineD
05-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Karen, is it just "hun", or is it also "sweetie", "dear", "love", etc?

I might get blasted for bringing this up, but I wonder if it is irksome for you because it seems like an affectation .. a way some members like to emphasize their femininity? It does seem overly-emphasized because in RL few women use these terms with people they do not know. Some do, but just looking at the GG posts in this forum for example, most don't. It sounds condescending to me as well, unless it comes from someone I know well and it is heartfelt.

I'm almost afraid to say this, but the only other place I hear these terms used excessively is within the gay community. It's almost as if there is an attempt to be familiar in order to achieve a group cohesion.

Karren H
05-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I was beginning to worry if Karren Hutton had no boundaries. At last, the CD world has received news of her limitations. Thank goodness for small insights. She might have done something a little crazy if one of us accidentally called her the "H" word. :eek: Don't worry sugar, no one here will ever call you hon again.:tongueout

Babette

Ohh yeah. I still have no limitations!! (Please don't tell my wife I said that). Not doing things you want to is limiting yourself. Not doing things you don't want to do is just being a smart.. Cookie, Babe.. Cutie pie.. Sweetie... Me I'm just a smart... Ass most of the time.. Just ask my mother-in-law.. "With a little paint and wall paper that storage unit looks a lot like an assisted living facility.. $65 a month vs $5 000!!". She almost bought it.

Sophie Lynne
05-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Actually "Hon" is quite common in Baltimore...

Shelly67
05-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Perhaps "Oi" is the worst thing anyone can be called .... either gender !:eek:

noeleena
05-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi ..

Well i spos its time for the kiwi to say,
get a grip ,,,,MATE...or else . he he ,,,,,,us lot over here in the deep south & oz e is a part as well, use that term a lot so if you are a part of the group or work mates its common for us wether your male or female.
For many of us the other terms are used as well as youv said,
its manly the older ones who use those words & for us it means , hey your wellcome ,
I see most of you who have replyed are from the u s . i see one from the u k .
You all so have to understand our own way of expressing our selfs will be different as well, & many of our word meanings are different too. for me i have no problem at all . come over here & you may just like it , or you may think they or we are different .
Any way Karran , & dare i say it. see ya ....mate....

...noeleena,,,

maggiecdva
05-03-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't know why I use certain terms ... perhaps I make the mistake that certain words are more fem than others. Words like hun, sweetie, darling etc.

I'm guilty of using sweetie and your right hun sounds like the waitress at the truck stop.

For Karen since you are a Penguins fan .... hun and sweetie do seem inappropriate .... I was once a hockey player myself ... where else could I get away with wearing a garter in a locker room :D.

Karen ... On an unrelated note ... HBO is showing a film about the Philly Flyers from 1974 / 1975 on Tuesday May 4 (I believe). You might remember the bullies of Philly.

If you are interested I thought you might want to see it.

Hugs - Maggie

EllieOPKS
05-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Well, You know Like - I Totally agree with you Shugg

Sarah Doepner
05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Karren,

It seems that Hon gets used when you want to show you care about the individual but don't know their name. Flo can't know every customer, but if she treats them like family, she gets bigger tips. Around here we all have some kind of name, so there shouldn't be a problem.

When I'm out and about I'd be happy with "Hon" over "Sir", "Buddy", "Mac", or "Hey You, Fella. Yeah, the guy in the skirt. No, the other guy, the one in the blue skirt." You know, that sort of thing.

Ashley Allen
05-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Hmmm this thread seems odd to me.

I don't call peeps hun too often, but think I do have in femme. But that'snot what makes this thread seem odd. All my life I have had women GG call me hun. Clerks at stores and waitresses especially. It's a commonly used casual term of endearment in the world I have existed in, and until I started openly CD'ing I had never met another CD in my life.

As I stated it's more common to hear GGs use it, my SO uses it with her sisters and friends all the time. My Nana uses it, but then she falls into the older generation. My daughters even use the term hun, and I don't mean occasionally.

It's the most common casual term of endearment I've experianced between strangers in our society and that's why I find this thread very odd. Maybe I really come from Venus or something!!!!

Karren H
05-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Hmmm this thread seems odd to me.

And that surprises you because? :) Odd is my middle name. I thought about doing a test yesterday and calling my wife "hon" but the thought of all the possible repercussions and pain being involved...

Don't ya just love the smell of controversy in the morning.. Lol.

JOY445
05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Ha Ha , nice question.
I get called honey, sweetheart, darling at work in male mode at work, so "hon" here is less than I'm used too. (unless I don't manage to fix their computer problem, in which case its ... useless £$%@ !!!)
But since I personally have never used the word myself on this forum I guess I won't reply to this post. oops
i like to be called Honey by my wife however im dressed...i dont see how the diminutive is any less affectionate....well to each their own!
you can call me hun if you want...ur so pretty, you could call me anything you wnat hahaah...nice to meet you hun
love joy

suzy1
05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I had never had any contact with another C.D. girl till I found this site early this year.
So I got lots of warm welcomes from lovely girls calling me Hon, which gave me a thrill and mad me feel happy.
Don’t spoil it for me.
Better than you are likely to get here in the U.K. Sweetheart, yuk!

SUZY

Ashley Allen
05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
.... calling my wife "hon" but the thought of all the possible repercussions and pain being involved...

Oh I hear you load and clear on that level.

Try sitting down on the couch in drab sometime and casually pick up the nail file and start buffing your nails. Normal enough right? It may not even get a verbal response... but the dirty looks until you become aware of what it is you just started doing... enough said. giggle... it's all good

Annette_boy
05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I am from Baltimore and hon is a common term here and is even celabrated with its own festival,any excuse to party and lots of us here call everyone Hon.
Hugs "Hon"
Annette

Lexine
05-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Would "sweetie" count as part of that Karren? :o

Karren H
05-03-2010, 02:23 PM
I am from Baltimore and hon is a common term here and is even celabrated with its own festival,any excuse to party and lots of us here call everyone Hon.
Hugs "Hon"
Annette

See... I just knew there had to be something more than just the evil Ravens.... Why I have never been to Baltimore!!

Would "sweetie" count as part of that Karren? :o

I could let Sweetie slide by only if their were Stanley Cup playoff tickets involved! :)

Mirani
05-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Courtesy prefix of "The Honourable"

The younger sons of earls, along with the sons and daughters of Viscounts and Barons are granted the courtesy title of "The Honourable" before their name. This is usually abbreviated to "The Hon." The title persists after the death of the holder's father, but it may not be inherited by the holder's children.

So there!:tongueout

Frédérique
05-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I might get blasted for bringing this up, but I wonder if it is irksome for you because it seems like an affectation .. a way some members like to emphasize their femininity?

Thanks for pointing this out. Speaking as a male (by birth), displays of affection are considered to be a weakness by other, stronger males. Hey, I think I know what’s going on around here! :eek:

Personally, I like to display heaping spoonfuls of anti-maleness wherever and whenever I can. It makes me smile, and I feel good afterwards. What’s the point of taking this feminine form if you’re not going to distance yourself, at least in some degree, from your male self? I don’t get it…:idontknow:

I'm almost afraid to say this, but the only other place I hear these terms used excessively is within the gay community. It's almost as if there is an attempt to be familiar in order to achieve a group cohesion.

Why would you be afraid to say something like that? This particular “community” of ours could use a little group cohesion, since we can’t even agree on what to call ourselves…:sad:

You know, if your name is Attila, “hun” may be appropriate, and perfectly acceptable…:heehee:

AmandaM
05-03-2010, 08:03 PM
What a Ditzy Broad!

kristinacd55
05-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Welp, hon is a big saying way down SOUTH here in Jersey too. South of the Trenton line. lol :heehee:

Renelle
05-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Good gravy, is this thread still going? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was started in jest and it somehow turned serious.

For the record, out here in the wild west, the only places you'll hear "hon" is in truck stops, casino's, and bordello's. Of course, about all we have around here are truck stops, casino's, and bordello's, so you hear it a lot.

rachellegsep
05-04-2010, 07:49 AM
I will always remember it as a Scottish term of endearment. (Spoken by a friends mother in a thick Glaswegian accent lol )

ReineD
05-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for pointing this out. Speaking as a male (by birth), displays of affection are considered to be a weakness by other, stronger males.

But peppering posts with "hun" is not always display of affection. Many times it does sound condescending. Snippy even. You know, overdone. The displays of affection, which I and I'm sure many others wholeheartedly appreciate, come in the form of a lack of sarcasm and a tolerance for other people's opinions. I'm not speaking of your comment (it was not sarcastic :)), but in the many intolerant responses there are in this forum; responses that are saturated with the male ethos.

Why would you be afraid to say something like that? This particular “community” of ours could use a little group cohesion, since we can’t even agree on what to call ourselves…:sad:

Again, this can be achieved through overall respect and not by adopting superficial and perhaps even disingenuous mannerisms.

darla_g
05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Actually in Baltimore (Bawl-more in local speak) it is common for everyone to be called "Hon". But that seems gg rather than CDs, but can't say i know many CDs around these parts

Karren H
05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Good gravy, is this thread still going? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was started in jest and it somehow turned serious.

We may never know and I'm not telling. Lol

I thought "hun" had something to do with Atilla??

Mirani
05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
nah the Hun were the 1st WW enemy! :)

kimdl93
05-04-2010, 12:26 PM
As a typically reserved yankee and Scandinavian, I can say that we're not big on terms of endearment generally, and certainly not with casual acquaintances! I save "hun" for my wife.

Karren H
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
nah the Hun were the 1st WW enemy! :)

Then that's two strikes for "hun". I think we can safely say "hun" is associated with bad things... The jury is still out on "hon". Lol.

NathalieX66
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Actually in Baltimore (Bawl-more in local speak) it is common for everyone to be called "Hon". But that seems gg rather than CDs, but can't say i know many CDs around these parts

And there's even a "Hon"-contest in Baltimore....blame it on John Waters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHYwoJVeqew

Raquel June
05-04-2010, 06:08 PM
What an odd thread. Saying "hun" certainly doesn't make my list of top 10 ridiculous things CDs do as a failed attempt to be feminine. It's just people trying to sound cute, and I don't think it's particularly unnatural.

The bad ones are the 50-year-old CDs trying to sound like 10-year-old girls by typing *giggles* ... although not even 10-year-olds type that. Nobody types it except CDs.

Lighten up Francis! I don't see anything wrong with the Hon label. It's like the other short names or titles used in everyday life like Babe, Sweetie, etc. None of them bother me. Just don't call me late for dinner.

Just don't tell us what you're thinking of doing with your big toe.

And BTW, my GG GF calls people hun quite a bit (especially her patients - she's a nurse), and she's a 29-year-old black girl from Ohio.

She also is kinda fond of complaining about stupid things my gender-confused friends do trying to be feminine and why nobody's interested in her giving them a little advice from a GG.

Renelle
05-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Raquel June

Saying "hun" certainly doesn't make my list of top 10 ridiculous things CDs do as a failed attempt to be feminine.

She also is kinda fond of complaining about stupid things my gender-confused friends do trying to be feminine and why nobody's interested in her giving them a little advice from a GG.

My apologies if the quote thingy doesn't come out right, but this gives me an idea. I'm heading over to the "ask the GG's" thread and see what their "top 10 list of dumb things CD'ers do" would be. That should spice-up the conversation a little. It's getting too serious around here.

Margot
05-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Karren sweetie; I think you need to take a chill pill.
Margot

Kendra Irene
05-05-2010, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=christinek;2134213]I live in the South and I get called dear, sweetie, and the like all the time.

The lingo to watch for is this one "Bless his/her heart" that usually follows some bad comments but makes it ok due to the blessing part :sad:

It is an easy and polite way to talk trash about others and still look good in the graces of those around you. To bad those who say it need to spend more time in gods house and practice what they preach :sb: OK sorry!

Christine

This one kind of funny as we are on vacation at Hilton Head and last night at a local restaurant I heard that line. "Bless her heart" and the woman behind went on about her neighbour. Also our waitress called everyone dear (the older people) and sweetie.

Yep must be a South thing.

Karren H
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Karren sweetie; I think you need to take a chill pill.
Margot

Actually I haven't played hockey in a month... I really need to check someone! Any volunteers? Lol

Girl
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I would love to be called "honey", "sweetie" etc by the girls on this site. I think we should all be supportive of each other. Hugs and kisses to all of you! :battingeyelashes:

Rachaelb64
05-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi Karen, if you think someone calling you 'hon' is annoying here's a local English term ' 'Ello me duck' which is just.................. :D

Karen564
05-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Well Hun,

Oops, I mean Karren,

I'm not a CDer, but I use the "Hun" word every once in a while...among many other words...depending on my mood..
To me, it seems less formal & more friendly to start off a conversation..

It's just short for Honey...which relates to Sweet, and fills in instead of saying sweetie...
So I don't really view it as a bad thing to say.....just the same as other woman that call me Hun or Sweetie out there in the general population..

Last time I was in Nashville, I heard Hun so many times, I lost count, but it didn't bother me in the least & they were all GG's..

If you or others find that disturbing, then what would you all prefer ?

Something more Tart sounding?

:D

Lacyfem
05-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I guess I've been guilty of that but don't think I over use it. However, in that we are men loving our fem sides I do believe that we may tend to try and push that fem side with these types of endearments. It's not all bad if it's done nicely.

Sandy Banks
05-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Irks me too, can't stand "hon", "hun"...................................:Angry3:

AndreaCD 2007
05-05-2010, 07:26 PM
yes its a southern thang 'specially in southern calif....:heehee:

cdterri
05-06-2010, 02:40 PM
What would you prefer? ms, miss, mrs, sweet stuff, little lady, or how about hey you. I use it simply because there is no other way to be sure i've got it right. I would think any lady would rather be called hon than any of the afore mentioned

Karren H
05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
What would you prefer? ms, miss, mrs, sweet stuff, little lady, or how about hey you. I use it simply because there is no other way to be sure i've got it right. I would think any lady would rather be called hon than any of the afore mentioned

Actually "Karren" works really good for me... Might now work for everyone? :D. And if someone didn't know my name... Maam or even Sir! Both work and just sound respectful.. Its what I would refer to others by...

Stitch
05-06-2010, 03:04 PM
I hate being called Hon/Hun too, but the main person who used to use it would usually use it at the end of a very patronising sentences addressed at me. Drove me mad. I like to be addressed as my name, unless I am visibly upset and need comforting or the person is close to me.

Something that amuses me is that in Cornwall England (where I live) one of our Dear/Hon/Sweetie is "My Lover" The oldest generation of Cornish men and women use it as a greeting, which is quite sweet. It's never used as a sexual term and is usually started with the word "Alright" as to ask how your day is going. Sadly its dieing out now. :sad:

Karen564
05-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Actually "Karren" works really good for me... Might now work for everyone? :D...

Well, That works for me too, just drop the 2nd r......:D.lol

NatashaCD
05-06-2010, 03:17 PM
my SO is always calling me hun a 26yo GG :s oh well she loves me and thats the only thing that matters

Shelly67
05-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Hi Karen, if you think someone calling you 'hon' is annoying here's a local English term ' 'Ello me duck' which is just.................. :D

Yep - use this one more often than not , being an East Anglian Englerlander !

Check someone ...?

Golly , round here thats a term used by youngsters , normally associated with illegal activities. Its weird how our language mutates , offending some , humouring others .

Quack quack .

Empress Lainie
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Working and associating mostly with gg's and being accepted as one, I hear honey, sweety, dear, and all other such words used on me and the others, and I use them all in speaking with gg's. It's just the sisterhood, and I am so glad I am part of it.

Even the guys my customers call me those things too.

Rianna Humble
05-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Actually "Karren" works really good for me... Might now work for everyone? :D.

Sorry, doesn't work for me! If someone wants to use a name for me other than "Oyyu" it has to be Rianna or Rianna Joyce

JOJO44
05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Well Hun,

Oops, I mean Karren,

I'm not a CDer, but I use the "Hun" word every once in a while...among many other words...depending on my mood..
To me, it seems less formal & more friendly to start off a conversation..

It's just short for Honey...which relates to Sweet, and fills in instead of saying sweetie...
So I don't really view it as a bad thing to say.....just the same as other woman that call me Hun or Sweetie out there in the general population..

Last time I was in Nashville, I heard Hun so many times, I lost count, but it didn't bother me in the least & they were all GG's..

If you or others find that disturbing, then what would you all prefer ?

Sometime more Tart sounding?

:D

Really now, I mean "you all"

Sounds more like a 'suuuutherrrrrnnn' gal to me! :D

Sharon B.
05-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Karen, seems to me your being bias of the Mason-Dixie line.
I agree with you when it comes to hon or any other name then the one we want to call ourselves.

minalost
05-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Karren,

After reading most of this thread and another tread you started after this one, I’ve come to the conclusion that the only reason you started this was to goad everyone into calling you hon :eek:. I mean, it seams like everyone is now taking every opportunity they can get to call you hon, sweetie, or what ever else they can think of, hoping to get under your skin. I think you new this would happen and so started this tread just so you could get “hon’ed” a lot more :tongueout.

Just kidding :devil:, of course, but that does seam to be the end result… And far be it from me to NOT jump on the band wagon: sugar.
:love:

carolinoakland
05-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I use hon and sweetie and dear...

Karren H
05-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Karren,

After reading most of this thread and another tread you started after this one, I’ve come to the conclusion that the only reason you started this was to goad everyone into calling you hon :eek:. :

If I were really that smart... I'd get everyone to send me money. Lol.

MarcieBflo
05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Is this the waitress you were talking about?

Robyn2006
05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Love this thread! I too hate... I mean, ABSOLUTELY HATE it when people respond with the "sweetie, hun, honey, etc." monikers. It so leaves me cold, and so often seems to be coming from someone with some unknown agenda within which I can hardly relate. I want to say it's condescending, but it's more than that... It's really just rude, and so off-the-chart presumptuous, with the bearer seemingly thinking themselves above what's being discussed. If not intended, it's how it's perceived. So please, ladies with whom I speak... stop it already. It's really, REALLY irritating!

Robyn

Karren H
05-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Is this the waitress you were talking about?

Actually that's my photo... Without my makeup.. Over at Long John Silvers.. All you can eat deep fat fried lard night. Yum. Lol.

ReineD
05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
I want to say it's condescending, but it's more than that... It's really just rude, and so off-the-chart presumptuous,

Earlier in this thread I wrote that using these terms struck me as being an affectation. Now I'm wondering if perhaps it is a regional thing. I run into very few women who call people they don't know "hun", but I guess there are some parts of the country where it is common? Even then, using the terms face-to-face seems a bit more sincere than in writing.

Also I agree with Raquel about using terms like *giggles* or *hugs & kisses*. They do seem a little out of character unless someone is in middle-school. :)

joyce483
05-08-2010, 03:39 PM
karren, i think that is the way some things have to be HON!!!

Cassandra Lynn
05-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Like if you some how bumped into Sidney Crosby while out and he called you hun, you wouldn't like it? uh huh, rriigghhtttt!

Karen564
05-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Really now, I mean "you all"

Sounds more like a 'suuuutherrrrrnnn' gal to me! :D

Thanks Hun,
I do love the South,
Sometimes I wonder if I should of been the daughter of very wealthy Southern family....But think everything got screwed up somehow.....lol

:hugs:

Stacye Rose
05-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Maybe I'm old fashioned, maybe I'm too country, or maybe it's the way I was raised-don't know, don't care. I've called waitresses, co-workers, salespeople, friends, and customers "hon" darlin" "sweetheart, and the like all my adult life. I've been called all those things (and a few others) when I've taken Stacye out in public also. It is merely a polite, form of address, used to put people at ease. To me it's comfortable to both give and receive politeness.

Only some yankee could get that upset over people being polite to folks:D

Rianna Humble
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Earlier in this thread I wrote that using these terms struck me as being an affectation. Now I'm wondering if perhaps it is a regional thing. I run into very few women who call people they don't know "hun", but I guess there are some parts of the country where it is common? Even then, using the terms face-to-face seems a bit more sincere than in writing.

You might be right about it being a regional thing, but I'm not so sure about the lack of sincerity. One of the few people who knows both of my identities is from oop north and we "met" on facebook because I know her sister. When she writes to me she calls me "hon" but I don't perceive it as affected or insincere - it's just the way she speaks. My manager is from dan saaf and she often uses "hon" when writing or speaking to "him".

Empress Lainie
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
``Since I'm southern born, I think it was more a southern thing originally, but seems common in the west.

I look at it as affirmation of my womanhood.

People generally don't use these terms in talking to a strange man, only a strange woman.

Now by "strange" I mean someone you don't know.

Of course after I see them a few times I begin to know my customers, and they also know me and start to sometimes use my name (if they remember it.) But i am fine with the other terms.

irmichelle
05-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Must be an American term eh! Like, how's it going eh? Gotta go arn my blouse. My wife is from one province in Canada and I'm from another. It's kind of strange sometimes how the regional difference affects our language and the meaning of some little word.

KristyPa
05-09-2010, 06:42 PM
I agree with you Karen.
When I first started going out to clubs dressed, I went to gay bars because I thought I would be more acceptable there.
Another little similar thing I noticed was a lot of the people giving each other quick little kisses on the lips and the calling of each other hon.
I just couldn't follow and let myself do either one. Hey if someone else wanted to do either that was fine with me but I couldn't do it.

ReineD
05-09-2010, 09:23 PM
You might be right about it being a regional thing, but I'm not so sure about the lack of sincerity.

Yes, of course you're right. :) But it really is impossible to know individual motives. Some people will say "hon" naturally and with full sincerity since it is a part of their regional culture, while for others it is an affectation because they believe it will make them sound more femme. And I've also seen it and the terms "sweetie" and "dear" used repeatedly in posts where the message tone was most definitely condescending (I'm thinking of a particular post but I won't link it here since it isn't my place to do this).

As with anything else, it is impossible to generalize. :) I can only say that in my neck of the woods, women don't use these terms.

Raquel June
05-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Love this thread! I too hate... I mean, ABSOLUTELY HATE it when people respond with the "sweetie, hun, honey, etc." monikers. It so leaves me cold, and so often seems to be coming from someone with some unknown agenda within which I can hardly relate. I want to say it's condescending, but it's more than that... It's really just rude, and so off-the-chart presumptuous, with the bearer seemingly thinking themselves above what's being discussed. If not intended, it's how it's perceived. So please, ladies with whom I speak... stop it already. It's really, REALLY irritating!

Robyn

Wow. You sound psychotic.

The things you're saying could apply to anything that obnoxious people say in a condescending sarcastic fashion, and maybe you're used to people saying "hon" and "well bless her heart" when they actually mean, "What a dumbass."

But not everybody is a sarcastic a-hole, even people that use the word "hon." That southern waitress who calls you "hon" probably isn't being a b*tch. When my girlfriend says "hon," it's usually in a very sweet compassionate way, usually with someone she's taking care of who has a very short life expectancy. If she doesn't like you she's not going to call you "hon"; she's going to be up-front instead of passive-aggressive. To say that anybody using the word is "rude, off-the-chart presumptuous and VERY irritating" is rude and presumptuous on your part.

It's not what you say; it's how you say it. When my GF calls me "princess" she's being endearing. When anybody else says it they usually mean "You gay b*stard."