PDA

View Full Version : Week 3 Inquiring Minds Want To Know !

Di
05-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Thank you all for your input the past two weeks.:D Here are week 3's questions We GG's look forward to your answers!

Week 3
7) When you say that you "pass", do you mean that you do not stand out as a guy if people don't look too closely, or do you mean that strangers will mistake you for a GG when they stare at you?

8) Do you feel it is only your voice that gives you away when you are read?

9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do?

PretzelGirl
05-02-2010, 09:30 AM
7) When you say that you "pass", do you mean that you do not stand out as a guy if people don't look too closely, or do you mean that strangers will mistake you for a GG when they stare at you?

If they looks closely at all or stare, then they will know. I think they will always know, but I will try and get better at my presentation to make it not as obvious. My goal is to blend. IOW, just to be able to walk along and not draw attention just based on my looks. So that people just going about their business may not even notice me. Those that pay attention will likely know.

I am still a bit of a beginner. So the baratone voice is definately one thing. But I think there are many appearance things that can still give me a way. This is a journey for me and not a destination. So I hope to improve as I go along and drive down that "read" percentage.

9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do?

I have never posted anything like that. I can only aspire to look as good as a GG. I just hope to learn from the ladies that are willing to assist me.

Jonianne
05-02-2010, 09:59 AM

I have never gone out expecting to pass (being taken as a female while interacting with others). I try to dress the best and most appropiate I can, while still being comfortable, and just be OK even if others see me as a crossdresser.

My voice has definatly given me away in the past. Once, a couple ladies asked me a question and I answered in my male voice, they said "you just gave yourself away!" I think they were wondering anyway. My stocky build and gait and not so feminine face kind of gives me away too. There have been some who have thought I was female. A lady I know saw me once and said to herself "wow, that lady sure has a masculine face!" At least she thought I was a lady with a masculine face! She soon recognized me though.

First of all, ALL women are beautiful and most could be gorgeous! I don't hold a candle to the least of women.

msginaadoll
05-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Well lets see in order 1) I dont pass- I just expect(and hope) people to treat me with respect, or just plain ignore me. I try to dress appropriately for situation so I guess I try to fit in. 2) My voice is what it is not especially deep or masculine or feminine. I figure it is the least of my concerns about passability. 3) I find women as a whole beautiful and only try not to embarrass them by looking like a WLO(Woman Like Object).

Deborah Jane
05-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Week 3

I've never felt I pass, so "I pass" is not a statement I make.

I try to avoid talking when out, as with my deep voice it would be a dead giveaway regardless.

I've never made this statement, as I believe it to be untrue.

BRANDYJ
05-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Thank you all for your input the past two weeks.:D Here are week 3's questions We GG's look forward to your answers!

Week 3
I don't say I pass. That is unless it's in a dark nightclub. I would not make it in daylight I don't think.

Very rare that I've been out in public. But no, I would not think it is "only" my voice, but it sure would out me. I have a deep voice.

How to answer this without sounding vain? There are people, male and female, that just do not look attractive at all. Some, sadly are what many would call ugly. so I would say that in fem mode I look more feminine, prettier, etc, then some or many GG's look.

Blaire
05-02-2010, 10:17 AM
7) Passing to me means doing my thing, whatever it happens to be that day, without significant incident.

8) I'm sure that by the time I'm close enough to say something, they already know.

9) All things equal, not a chance. More stereotypically "girly" maybe, but that's not the same thing as "feminine".

TxKimberly
05-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Fascinating to see what our GG's are concerned about or interested in!

I think that in the strictest sense, passing would mean that no one would know we were male, even upon close inspection or interaction. Alas, I myself fall more in to the category of ". . . do not stand out as a guy if people don't look too closely".
I've always been honest here that all I've ever posted are my best pictures. You don't get to see the ones that clearly show a tired old man in makeup.

Lord no. When you have been out and about enough, you get to where you know when you have been read. The smiles, or the frowns, and probably a dozen other cues that I can't put my finger on tell me when I'm read. While there have been a few notable exceptions, most of the time when I am read, it is well before I open my mouth.

9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do?[/QUOTE]

I don't for a moment think that I can hold a candle to your average GG. In all honesty, this has sometimes depressed the hell out of me. LOL Do you know what I long for and wish I had experienced? Just being your average run of the mill woman, that's what. How neat it would be to head out the door without half an inch of makeup, false breasts, and hip pads. How neat to be able to throw on jeans and a top and still look cute.
No, I have no illusions of competing with your average GG.

Sara Jessica
05-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Personally, I avoid use of the word pass. How do we really know if we pass? Silence of those we encounter doesn't tell us for sure so as far as I'm concerned, no one can ever say for sure one way or the other. Blend, in my opinion, is a much more achievable goal. This means being accepted for who you are, whether it be as a woman at a glance or as a transgendered woman on closer inspection. My personal expectation is that I will be read as tg, that I hope those who do so will say "hey, she pulls it off pretty well".

Trust me, I have plenty of flaws to give me away before I even open my mouth!!! That said, the voice thing is not too much of a concern of mine. I can raise it an octave or so which gives me a presentable voice without sounding too swishy. And since I don't care so much about being read, I don't worry that this is "the thing" that puts me over the edge when it comes to blending in.

I would NEVER make such an assertion. As far as I am concerned, any natal woman has scoreboard on me and I would never profess to have an ounce more femininity. Just as women are all different in how they project femininity, so is our community. But when all is said and done, women are women and despite what I have in my heart and what I can do from an appearance standpoint, I will always be envious of them (in speaking to any gg reading this, envious of you).

Deidra Cowen
05-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Week 3

Passing means going out interacting in public or ok one on one and not being spotted as being Trans. I can't pull that off. Very few Tgirls can. Maybe 2%.

Yes my voice is my biggest weakness, but beyond that full coverage makeup and wigs are other clues. But when I got 'da look' going I can blend in out in public and get a big kick out of that. :devil:

9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do.

No I am not more pretty than the average GG...dammit!!! But I will be honest here and not be politically correct. When I was in my prime yeap I could give da GGs a run for their money! :devil: Thats GGs in my age bracket by the way.

But closing in on 50 years of age and gaining weight has taken its toll. Full coverage makeup and wrinkles are a bad combo.

gabimartini
05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
7. I think only a handful of us are able to manage 100% stealth passing. That said, when I say pass, I mean blend in a crowd, and be thought of as a GG by the majority. Of course, a careful second look should give most of us away.

8. Voice is a biggie to most. It will give anybody away, no matter how good the transformation.

9. No matter how hard I try to emulate what GGs are by birth, I always come out behind. So, no, I don't think I'm prettier or more feminine than the average GG. Heck, I'm not prettier than the below-average GG. I'm a man, for cryingoutloud!! :)

t-girlxsophie
05-02-2010, 11:50 AM
#1Have never said I "pass" more like,get away with it on occasion lol

#2No,Spotted well before then

#3Have never said It

Well lets see in order 1) I dont pass- I just expect(and hope) people to treat me with respect, or just plain ignore me. I try to dress appropriately for situation so I guess I try to fit in.

Really good answer,I think rather than pass,just to have most ppl show respect and leave you be,Is a more realistic aim for most of us

Rachel Morley
05-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Mostly I would say that I don't stand out as a guy if people don't look too closely. I like to think that I'm giving off lots of feminine clues and it seems to be working most of the time as most people do seem to treat me as a woman when I go out in mainstream places. Did I really pass? ... who knows? We can't know what people are truly thinking but not saying. It is quite strange though just how often people ignore me, but I think that's got more to do with them not paying attention rather than my being passable.

Well I do quite often get wide eyed looks or sudden smiles when I speak, but "only my voice" .... no. I'm sure there are other things that give me away.

I think you have the wrong person. To my knowledge, I have never indicated that I think or feel this way. There is no way on earth, not even slightly, that I could be more feminine or prettier than the average GG. They're the real deal. I'm a fake.

joandher
05-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Week 3

I don't pass, far from it, but I just try my hardest to blend in, as long as they don't look too close,I've probably been lucky as not too many incidents,or I've not noticed them ,at 63 yrs of age do you think i care ,either

I don't think its just my voice,it could be a number of things ,but as long as I am treated with respect I don't mind or really care, I'm just enjoying myself, and some people just don't care how you are dressed

I've never posted anything that says I'm even in the same league as a GG, though I wouldn't mine looking as good ,GGs are in a class of there own

:hugs: to all

J-JAY

MiraM
05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Week 3

I don't pass at all

It's a combination oif my voice, my gut, my ugly mug and my particular choice of tattoo design and placement.

It would be a sad day if I were considered prettier than your average GG.

Joanne f
05-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Week 3
I would never pass so this does not apply to me .

No it would not be only my voice that would give me away, it would be the whole body language

I do not believe that i have ever posted any suggestion that i am prettier than any GG let alone an average looking one (whatever that is) and do i really believe that i am more feminine or prettier that a GG , well i know i am mad and a bit insane , but not that mad , ( unfortunately i am a realist)
I must admit that i have felt a bit silly even answering this one as i feel that it is aimed more at the younger ones.

Ronni Seymour
05-02-2010, 12:59 PM
7) I rather like to use the word "blend" instead of "pass", and I try to do a good enough presentation to do that. I don't think I'm fooling anyone into believing I'm a GW.

8) My body build (broad shoulders, narrow hips), adam's apple, masculine facial characteristics, etc. all combine to give the careful observer combined clues that what we have here is a crossdressing male.

9) I would be in La-La Land to think so! I just do it for fun and self expression.

5150 Girl
05-02-2010, 01:04 PM
hmmm... I feel truly passing is a subjective term. Did I pass or simply blend in? Hard to say really.
Do I seem to atract a lot of attention when I go out? No.
Do people react to me even when I hold a close up, face to face conversation? No.
Arround here people let you know when you don't "pass"... Pointing, whispering, snickering, ect. (Note to self, leave the blonde wig at home, only go out a a brunet, or red head)

When I'm read, my voice is the last thing to give me away! If I'm read it's usualy because my mustache cover failed. A couple times I've been told (by freinds) it was somting about my arms taht gave me away. Somting they couldn't quite put their finger on... I did find a pic of myself that explained it to me. I have stong forearms like Popeye.

I really don't think I'm any prettier than most GG's. I think of myself as average or maybe even a tick below average for my age-groupe.
How-some-ever.... In this day and age of the flip - flop wearing, overly casual dress code, I do feel I dress better than the average GG, which might get that 1 tick below averae back to my pretty status.

bredalee25
05-02-2010, 01:15 PM
#7 I wouldn't pass as a woman in daylight maybe at night in poor light. To answer your question it's passing if you get a quick look and you're thought to be a GG

#8Hell no my entire body gives me away. My pappy always said a few more days in the oven and you'd be a gorilla with all that body hair.

#9No I don't I only wish I was

Kelly Greene
05-02-2010, 01:32 PM

for me the concept of "passing" means that I look nice/pretty. I may be read by every soul that sees me but I will at least look nice/pretty and not have anything showing that should not be showing.

I am sure that everything from the size of my hands to the way I cary myself leads to be being read. I may fool some people some of the time, but thats because they are not looking

I Don't think I am prettier or more feminine that any GG, the best I can do is to follow the examples I see in the GG's that are in my life. GG's provide excellent examples of looks that are pretty and it is my plan to see if I can adopt/adapt some of the ideas I get from watching GG's into a style that works for me.

AKAMichelle
05-02-2010, 01:32 PM

For some cd'ers they may be able to pass, I don't. My definition of passing would be that somebody would think I was a female until they got close. Myabe when I lose the 80 pounds then maybe I can fit into the definition of pass. Right now I just look like a beached whale in female clothing.

It is the hardest to cover up. Most of the cd'ers that I think pass are given away with this one. One time when I played golf with a close friend of mine, I was asked if she was my girlfriend. So at least one of us passes close enough to be confused for a GG.

Not at all. We can never compete. Our dressing is not a competition.

Kerigirl2009
05-02-2010, 01:36 PM

Week 3

I don't think I pass for a GG, such as a manly chin, adam's apple (yuk) brows are more pronounced. I like to think that I can blend in if I do my makeup right so I have the illusion of feeling pretty and that I can hide some of my manly features. Plus the fact that I am 6' 2" I will never be mistaken for a GG but as long as I feel like I present well enough I won't stick out as a man in a skirt.

Actually, even though I do not work on my voice as much as I could, I get mistaken for a female on the phone, and drive thrus, it is only when they see me that they do not, If I was dressed feminine and used my voice they might have a short pause while they process what they heard and see.

No, Never. GGs are so much prettier than I can ever imagine to be. As well as their additude. Women are so much more confident in themselves.
However, I LOVE getting compliments from everyone that tell me I look pretty. Even more so than the He is handsome compliment. :)

Midnight Skye
05-02-2010, 01:43 PM

I've been out enough to know... I don't pass. I think its the beard shadow mostly.

My voice and speech are actually rather passable. Its my skin complexion (beardshadow), slightly wider shoulders/ribcage, and crazy hair which give me away. Oh no earrings doesn't help when I wear necklaces and whatnot.

My fashion choices are more feminine than the average GG in my area... skirts, tights, and other elements which are getting lost to our jeans n t-shirt populace. Prettier? Only in phantom world where men like tall masculine woman with a surprise underneath ;)

Kate Simmons
05-02-2010, 02:46 PM
7--It means I "pass muster" for myself.:)

8--I could care less about this one.:battingeyelashes:

9--You are kidding Di, right?:heehee:

sissystephanie
05-02-2010, 02:55 PM
7. I don't even try to pass now!
8. No!
9. No!

carhill2mn
05-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Week 3

I think it is difficult to determine if I "pass" as circumstances may have an impact. My GW friend says that I pass as do my "T" friends. I have carried on conversations with many (some fairly long) and have had no indication that the other people did not think that I was a woman. I have been en femme in many venues and have had no indication that I was "read" (hate that term).

No, I do not think that it does.

This sounds like a "trick" question! If I assume that the "average GG" is what I see most often, then I am tempted to answer in the positive. I do think that I make more of an effort to appear and act "lady-like" than the "average GG", per the above.

Tina Dixon
05-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Week 3

7) Only time I pass is when I'm on my Harley.

8) My voice is bad even for a male, yuk

9) I feel some time that way after I have a professional do me up but thats the only time I come close to that.

sara_also
05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't believe I pass very well
more than my voice would give me away
Absolutly not. You gg's are much better in every way

Mary Jane
05-02-2010, 05:51 PM
7) When you say that you "pass", do you mean that you do not stand out as a guy if people don't look too closely, or do you mean that strangers will mistake you for a GG when they stare at you? I never go out in public but I don't think I would fool anyone for long.

8) Do you feel it is only your voice that gives you away when you are read? No, My large hands and short fingers would be another thing I would be worried about.

9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do? I have not posted anything to that effect and I would not say I was prettier than most GGs.

Di
05-02-2010, 07:49 PM
We GG;s really appreciate everyone being so up front and helpful.:love::love::love::love::love::love::love: :love:

msniki48
05-03-2010, 06:53 AM

I feel that my passing is viewed at 15 ft with a glance. not getting the 2nd look is what i strive for. upoc further inspection, i am sure that i would be read.

I have a decent girls voice, although in extended conversation, the voice may trail downward at the end of a sentance, instead of upward as i see most GG's do. [ lack of concentration...lol]

This is an awful broad stroke here. I pride myself in striving to be just the girl next door..i don't do Glamorous presentations.
if a woman travels dailey in bib jeans and a plaid work shirt as normal attire...then i feel i can be more feminine. If you compare me to any woman wearing the same ensemble as me in a picture shoot, I believe the GG would win hands down every time.:sad: but i guess this is as it should be, sorta:daydreaming:

Working with what God Gave me to find my place in the middle:hugs:

WendyH
05-03-2010, 09:18 AM

I don't normally use the word "pass" and don't place much value on the concept. However, I have been told by some GGs that they would never guess I'm not a GG if they saw me on the street. I take that with a grain of salt because I have been clocked at times, most notably by teenage girls.

That's the primary reason, but not the only. The usual suspects--large hands and feet, Adam's apple, etc.--also factor in.

I've never posted or expressed such thoughts. I'm not sure what the average GG is, as women are so varied in real life. I'm not in competition with them, I just want to look and feel the best that I can.

Kathi Lake
05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
7) When you say that you "pass", do you mean that you do not stand out as a guy if people don't look too closely, or do you mean that strangers will mistake you for a GG when they stare at you? Wow, there aren't enough laughing smilies in the world for that question. People know immediately when I'm out there. From a distance, to someone very nearsighted, from the back, and with many other caveats, I might be mistaken for a woman. A very skinny, angular, big-armed, broad-shouldered, ham-handed woman. :)

8) Do you feel it is only your voice that gives you away when you are read? Once again, I need more smileys. Although some (very kind, very nearsighted) women have said they didn't know until I spoke, my voice definitely does give me away - especially since I don't change it at all.

9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do? Again with the laugh-inducing questions?! It's a good thing I'm not drinking milk right now, or it would be spraying from my nose. :)

Women rock. They are all wonderful, gorgeous, amazing creations - all women! They just have a natural beauty inside them - whether due to nature or nurture, who knows? That beauty manifests itself in everything they do. Most of us do not have that beauty. We can pad ourselves perfectly, we can cover ourselves in pretty clothes, we can bring the MAC girls to their knees with our cosmetic might, but we're just missing the spark - that essential feminine spark - that brings everything together.

Am I more feminine or prettier than an "average GG" (if there is such a thing)? No. I may be more so than some at the low end of the bell curve, but most women are so far past me in those departments that I can't even get close enough to see the target that they represent.

Kathi

Babette
05-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Week 3

Oh my goodness! First of all, I would never say that I pass. Any assessment about me would have to come from someone else.

Voice maybe. My typical male figure takes a lot of padding and carefully selected clothing to hide.

9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do

Never, never, never! Did I mention never! Regardless of how they fix their hair, apply makeup or not, or manner of dress, natural born females exude femininity. That is something I can only aspire too but never achieve.

Babette

Tina B.
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Pass, If I thought I could, I would not be in this closet, If I passed there would be no reason to stay in it, who would know!

Voice, in 8th grade I started singing bass, and in all these years it has not gotten any higher, I did try to create a feminine voice once, but the wife didn't seem comfortable with it, so I gave it up.

Prettier than the average GG, at my age, size, and weight it's not going to happen, I have been told I looked cute, but that was the clothes, not the guy inside. Am I prettier than some GG's then maybe I could say yes, I remember some of the "women" weight lifters the U.S.S.R. used to send to the Olympics, I might have given a couple of them a run for it. But the rest of you, your all Miss Universe, standing next to me!
Tina B.
By the way, I think the CD's are enjoying these questions allot, it was a good idea.

Nicole Brown
05-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Hmmm, interesting questions.

As many others have already stated, I do not use or give much value to the term passing. When I look in the mirror I see a somewhat respectable imitation of a female. But that is according to my eye which I am sure is bias on my side. I venture out often and have almost never had people start jumping up and down and yelling about the guy in a dress so I must also be blending in somewhat.

Sure, my voice is a give away along with some other issues. My hands are not small enough, nor are the boats I lovingly refer to as my feet. I am too tall and could shed a few, ok more than a few, pounds.

I have never even thought about comparing myself to a gg because I hate to loose. Oh I am sure that there are 1 or 2 females in the world who I might compete with, but on a whole there is now way I can compare with the average looking gg.

Jessy
05-03-2010, 11:54 AM

Never really thought about it that far...
Usually when referring to the second, I say things like "passing all the way"... So I guess when just saying "passing" I'm referring to the first. To me, the first is a realistic goal, while the second is probably a dream that won't happen for most of us.

At this moment (not out yet) I can't say. I do know that the voice is surely the hardest thing to change, and could still be giving myself away on a silver plate when looks and appearance do pass.

I never posted such thoughts, and I don't see myself as prettier than average GGs. But what is an "average GG" anyway? Every person is unique.
I do crossdressing for myself, so I try to aim in being as pretty as possible. When looking at other girls and actually comparing myself with them, it's more to find things I can learn from them. I don't believe myself to be more feminine, because I just am myself and I try to act normally, not overdoing anything. I do know I'm definitely more feminine than the "average guy" though ;)

Sarah Doepner
05-03-2010, 11:56 AM

I have always strived for "Pass me by" before they do their double take. I just want folks to not have a reason to start laughing in my face. I prefer to have it take place behind me so I don't join in and ruin my makeup with tears of laughter.

Only if I'm not standing up (6'1"), they can't see my face or hands or shoulders or feet. Actually my voice is the best part of my presentation and it's not very good at all. Particularly when I join in with the people who started laughing at me.

No way, not in any way, shape or form. I hope I've never posted anything that would be interpreted that way. I do believe that I can use padding, clothing, wigs, accessories and makeup to approach, but not achieve, how women appear naturally. I also want to believe that I can be a bit more fashionable than some women who don't seem to want to expend the same energy. Style and effort has to take the place of femininity and actually being pretty. I have to give some positive self-feedback or I wouldn't keep doing this. If I live in a bit of a fantasy world and it makes me feel better, I guess I'll do that.

Now there are a small number of crossdressers here who are built to pass and do it well. I hope they are willing to post their responses, because I've seen some of them in person and they Pass visually, have a good voice and can behave in a very feminine manner.

Lorileah
05-03-2010, 12:42 PM

I don't "pass" I don't want to "Pass". I don't expect to "Pass" I wish I could post a picture I have with three guys standing next to me...I look like I am 25% larger than the others in the pictures and they were male...If there were a female in the photo I would dwarf them. Passing is over rated and most of the time beyond the ability for any male without surgery. Males stare at me anyway.

See above. I know there are women out there who are over 6 feet tall and I know women with deeper voices.

This sounds like someone looking for an argument. Did I miss these posts? Most the TG's here would kill to look as good as a GG not better than a GG. I have a challange for all the people here who go out in public. It is called "spot the person who reads all the posts on CD.com in a crowd". It is an easy game, with all the "advice" that is posted here about how to look more feminine (walking talking drinking whatever) these people end up exactly how we don't want to be seen...as parodies. What would more feminine be? Over the top, blatantly gay? The contestants on RuPaul's show (which some here seem to see an ideal...if that is your aspiration you are trying to look or act as a female). You know that the posts where someone says "I am much more feminine than...(my wife, GF, the girls at the mall, female wrestlers, Jennifer Lopez)" are posted in anger or jealousy. I have not read any responses above but if anyone says they are more feminine or prettier than the average woman, they will need help desperately (and we wonder why the divorce rate on thees boards is so high?). Given the two answers to choose from, for fun would win. How about because I like it?

kimdl93
05-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Week 3

7. not stand out as a guy
8) nope height, shoulders, hands as well
9) not hardly - only in my dreams

Ashley Allen
05-03-2010, 01:04 PM
First off, when a guy in the bar tries to break the ice by saying you are so passable, that says just the opposite... giggle

Been in the mall and no body saying anything and smiles from the sales ladies. Been alone in a normal crowd bar all dressed up and treated more kindly than normal. Even had a bump into with someone once, where I dropped what I was carrying and he helped me pick the things up, and then after being right in my face commenting, I'm sorry I thought you were a woman. (No apology required.)

All these things are what passable means to my in-experianced CD ego, and they make me feel good.

I have been told by someone before that she didn't realize I was a CD until I spoke... and at other times people just don't seem to be phased when I speak... I assume that would mean they already know.

As far as being prettier than GG. Now that is certianly not true, as my biggest admiration is when I see a beautiful woman with short hair and drab clothes and you can still tell, and she is still gorgeous. On the otherhand, there are so many GG that go ouyt of their way to dress as masculine as possible, and I don't mean butch either. Aloyt of GG are more comfy in jeans and a tshirt. My duaghters for example, save their pretty dresses only for special occasions. I see them in pictures looking like woman, but not very often do I see them first hand all dolled up and feminine.

A bunch of good looking CDs in dresses would be prettier than a group of GG super models in jeans and tshirts. For the simple fact that presentation matters.

Way too few GGs that prefer to wear a dress or skirt these days.

stephanie100
05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Week 3
I dont beleave i "pass" but I have met some GG that look like men I just try to look my best for me and the mood i am in.

I have a deep voice so yes it is one thing we cant change easily wish we could. yes it is a give away

Do GGs think we dress because we beleave we a prettier than them mmm interesting if they do. I do not know anyone who has ever said that on this or any forum. I certainly have not.

anna kate
05-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't pass, I present. Watching the expressions on the faces when I'm "made" is all part of the fun.

Like I said, I don't pass and the deep voice is part of not passing.

No way I could compete with a GG for looks. Can only hope to look good enough, that my presentation is accepted for what it is. Nobody yet has said, "Hey, you're a guy!" I do get "maamed" quite often, but I think it's more because they want me to come back and spend more dollars.

suchacutie
05-03-2010, 10:46 PM
7) To me passing means that you've downplayed your male "clues" and played up the feminine "clues" to every extent possible. Almost all of us have something that is just so "male" that no matter what we do we will be "read" is someone takes the time to do so (for me it's my hands and some masculine facial features). In the best of all worlds, there are so many feminine "clues" that they swamp the male clues almost all of the time.

8) My voice quality is almost ok, but I still don't use it well enough to be flawless in using the non-bass voice patterns. Also I'm not sure I use words properly yet, but I'm getting there. I doubt that I could be read on the phone at this point :)

9) more feminine or prettier than the average GG?? from your mouth to God's ears! LOL Not a chance. Anyway, what is an average GG, anyway? To me it's not a competition but a desire for acceptance. Why would I do anything to jeapardize that acceptance with some kind of arrogant comments? yuck!

eluuzion
05-04-2010, 12:20 AM
I think I missed the train on the past weeks, but...

7) Passing to me is similar to being "invisible" in a crowd. I have only been out a couple of times in a downtown setting, briefly to document some activities of people I was hired to track. (long story, business related). I am confident I accomplished the mission on both counts. (invisibility and the other job).

8) So far I have not been "read", but l have only gone in public a couple of times. My voice would surely reveal me, as well as other things, I am sure...if I was to give anyone face-to-face time at any length during daylight.

9) I like to fool myself on some issues. But this is not one of them. If I could pull that off, I would probably be in porn movies by now...which unfortunately where many of the "hotties" seem to be. (just my observation, lol):love:

Alice Torn
05-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Passing, when i throw the basketball, football. OK, I very seldom go out, but, i think it is when i stay at a distance, and quiet, mind my own business, but, at 6'6", 250, huge hands, long chin, and jaw, and size16 womens shoes, I stick out like a defensive end! Voice? Bad, even for a guy! I think i have legs, that look like a GG's, and dress more classy, than most, but, if they all dressed classy, I would be dull in comparison.

MichelleOBrien
05-04-2010, 12:28 AM

For me it's more of not being known as a guy in a dress by people walking past. If you look close enough, telltale signs are gonna show unless you're transitioning, and even then...

voice, chin, hands... from a distance I get confused for a girl most times, but up close, it's easy. fortunately, i don't have an adam's apple, otherwise it'd be really easy.

it's neither really for me. It's more of... an ideal... a standard I try to meet, though admittedly it's become easier through practice.

RachelPortugal
05-04-2010, 01:37 AM

I would never say I pass, except perhaps as a silhouette in the distance.

If I have not bee reead by my appearance, my voide would be a dead giveaway.

Hell no! I have never posted such thoughts. I'm just a guy who loves to wear feminine things.

Rachael

Connie D50
05-04-2010, 05:53 AM
7.I use the words blend in. In my case I think they fit better.

8. I use my voice very little when I go out. I,s sure it gives me away.

9. No I do not.

P.S. I think the idea of weekly question is GREAT :-)

Petra Bellejambes
05-04-2010, 08:48 AM

I believe, and experience in the great vanilla daylight outdoors indicate that I do pass until I am quite close to the observer. If people stare, they will see that some things are perhaps just out of phase. I try and mostly succeed in fitting in with my environments, and so I do not attract any more attention than the average GG gets.

Per last answer, no. I require a good amount of foundation to obscure shadow. That is a good tell. I do not really alter my voice when I engage with people though, so, when I do, the cat is fully out of the bag.

Far from it. I believe that I have junior membership in a female sorority, much to learn, and much to aspire to. I do wish I had started my apprenticeship much earlier in life though. Alas.

Great survey. Looking forward to more questions, and your notes and findings.

xxoo - Petra

Jorja
05-04-2010, 08:51 AM

I have never tried to "pass". I do like it when I blend in though.

I have worked enough over the years that one can't really tell anymore :)

It is a damn shame when the boys are looking prettier than the girls!!!!! You know it is going to be a doubles night.:)

StacyCD
05-04-2010, 08:57 AM

I would like to think my presentation is as a well groomed female. However, some times I feel I look like a linebacker in heels. From a distance I may be confused for a GG. However, close inspection reveals that I'm a guy in a dress. I define 'passing' as being accepted based on my gender presentation. If someone recognizes me as a guy in a dress is not the issue, I just want to be treated with respect that my behavior deserves.

My voice is hard to disguise as a female's. With practice I am at least 50/50 being read immediately when I open my mouth.

I would never assert that I am prettier or more feminine that the average GG. However, there are some women that I would compare very well against because some women do not spend any time on their physical presentation. Just walk around Walmart on a Saturday and you'll see a number of women that do not look very feminine.

CharlotteB
05-04-2010, 10:12 AM
1. I do not pass. There have been times I have driven and not been made, but no illusions about completely passing
2. See above --
3. No illusions about being better than a GG either -- but it doesnt matter. Feeling me is enough.

Alicia.80
05-04-2010, 11:39 AM

I've never stated that I pass. I know that I never will and am finally OK with this. The best I can hope for is to somewhat blend into a crowd.

No, my height, my frame, the way I move and yes my voice all give me away or at the very least draw attention to me. The voice is something I'm working on, my height I obviously will never be able to change, but hey I got nice legs at least, my frame... well I'm hoping when I start hormones it'll help to some degree...

I have never claimed to be prettier, etc; than the average GG, nor do I recall seeing anyone claim such here.

I have my own question... Do the people who come up with these questions actually read the forums?

zoe m
05-04-2010, 12:47 PM

"Passing" is not really my ultimate aim, my aim is more to just look like a transvestite who has his/her act together and looks like they know what they´re doing. On the other hand, it´s of course true that being out in public is a lot easier if you´re not "read" right away. I haven´t been out in public a lot. I think I can pass if people don´t look too closely or if they look at me from behind or the side, as I´m no different in size from a lot of women. But if they stare at my face, then no, I wouldn´t pass.

No, it´s my voice plus my jaw and other facial features.

No I don´t, and I wouldn´t post that. I think there probably are CDs who look prettier than the average GG, but they´re few, and I´m not one of them.

charlie
05-04-2010, 12:52 PM

I pass when I do not get heckled, bothered or laughed at in public.

I believe it is my face that gives me away. My body look is good. I dress conservatively. I have worked on my voice, mannerisms, and walk.

A man can never be more feminine then any woman. We are afterall the impersonators of a woman. We only get more dressed up then the average GG, never more feminine or prettier.

giuseppina
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Week 3

I don't go out dressed. Passing isn't one of my goals. If it was, I would try to blend and not attract unwanted attention.

I'm nowhere close to that.

No, not really. Masculinity and femininity are largely social constructs, anyway.

Rianna Humble
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM

If I "pass" at all, it is that I don't stand out too much as a guy if short-sighted people don't look too closely. Only twice has anyone referred to me as "madam", but I am under no illusion that anyone looking closely would mistake me for a GG at this stage..

My voice is certainly the biggest give-away, but I'm sure I have other tells as well. At least GG's have said that I dress appropriately.

I consider myself to be more feminine than the average GM. I might even consider myself prettier than the average ugly old crone, but I have never considered myself even as pretty as let alone prettier than the average GG. I would not post thoughts that suggested the opposite.

Sally24
05-04-2010, 07:06 PM
7) "passing"?
I always try to look as good as possible. When I say passing I mean that people take me as female. That's at a distance or close-up. If I say "blending" then that's just at a distance or casual glances in my direction.

8) What gives you away?
My voice is definitely a biggie. I can raise and soften it but it still needs years of work! I'm 6' so that gains me attention anywhere, but I am slim. I can manage pretty good cleavage, which hopefull keeps their attention from the male bump on my nose. At times my posture and movement are pretty female, but I don't always maintain that well.

9) Prettier than a GG?
I like to think I dress better than many GGs, but more feminine?? prettier?? No Way! I carry off a pretty good "cute" but beautiful is not in me.

sherri52
05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Di I can answer all three questions with the answer to the first
7: I do not pass
8: My facial features give me away before my voice does
9: I'm still a man in a dress and can't compete with GG's

Michelle55
05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
It seems from most people's (especially women's) reaction that they think I am either a woman or at least a CD or TG that is putting forth a good effort.

My voice is the hardest part, but I did get stopped by the local police for having a headlight out. He took my license and registration and came back shortly and looked at me, the license, back at me, back at the license, etc. at least 3 times before deciding it really was me, and I did speak to him.

9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do? _
I dress and have my makeup nicer than the average GG does most of the time, but I don't have to do it all the time everyday like they would have to. I'm an average slightly sloppy person most of the time just like most GGs._________________

Samantha_Smile
05-05-2010, 02:46 AM

I don't CD out of the house, so I wouldn't say it myself.
If it's of any use to you, my personal definition of passsing is to go completely un-detected even if someone has a good-old eyeball of you. I understand that mingling and being a face in the crowd has merit too, but it's not passing if you get read like a book.

Again, I don't go out, so cant comment. Even at home, I dont try to use a femme voice, because I just sound like a man trying to sound like a woman.

If you can quote me saying that Im more femme/prettier than a GG I'll give you my cat.
Im well aware that I am not and am under no illusion that I might be. (However walking through town on some days makes me think otherwise.... Some women should just have their breasts removed and have done with it :D)

johnboy23
05-05-2010, 02:53 AM
These questions do not pertain to me. I dont wear wigs or make up, I have never talked like a girl unless I am speaking to my dogs. Last, I am not really feminine at all. I just like the clothes

Mirani
05-05-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't bother with caring about "passing" now. However, in the spirit of the question I defined "passing" as not receiving any negative responses from anyone when out.[/I]
I have never asked. If I think about it, it is probably a combination of issues - from the way I walk/stand/sit, eye contact, lack of self confidence, then voice.
9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do?[/QUOTE]
mmmm just what IS an average GG? I don't think that there really is such a thing. Some women are happy to do nothing to "enhance" their appearance, some are meticulous. People are just different with some similarities at times. I actually think it is judgemental to make such a comparison and any CDer would have to have a hefty portion of self awareness before any comparison on femininity.
Well - you did ask! :)

Renee_E
05-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Week 3

For me there is no such thing as pass except in my own mind. Too many masculine traits to this body.

If I came close to passing my voice would definitely give me away

Never said anything like that. The average female has me beat hands down.

christina marie
05-05-2010, 08:17 AM
7. i occasionally get mistaken for a female, rarely. . . i can "pass" really well if you close your eyes tightly,stick your fingers in your ears,and sing la la la,otherwise,not so much

8. no,see above. it doesnt help much though.

9.no,no comparison. i can dream, but reality has a way of getting your attention like a shovel to the forehead.if i was ever to think that about myself,the aforementioned shovel would be in order.

cd300
05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Week 3
Cant answer this one as i have never gone out to find out about this. if i had a full makeover maybe but otherwise i doubt it..

dont even know what to do about the voice as i could never pass with my male given voice. unless i acted as a 80 yr old women who smokes 3 packs a day.. :doh:

not a chance just like to dress up and feel fem and sexy. i might be able to be prettier than a handful of gg's (if properly done say in a transformation) if not no. i do have fun dressed and the feelings it gives me are great but as a part(part time) girl this is not in the cards..

thanks for letting me get this off my chest!! :battingeyelashes:
Jessica

minalost
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM

I only pass from a distance - you know, from the other side of the galaxy!

Yep, that and everything else!

Never ever thought or said or posted anything like this. Sorry, but I've liked all the questions so far, but this one is kind of dumb.
:hugs:

MissKara
05-05-2010, 06:15 PM

50/50. I know I will probally never attain looking like a girl at scuteny, but I would be happy looking like a girl if guys dont look too closely.

That, and my manish face.

I don't believe I am prettier than them, but I also believe in that we are all equal.

Michaela42
05-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Week 3

7. I have only ever gone out once and that was for Halloween(go figure). Did I "pass" probably not, but I did receive a good number of complements on my legs:D
8. I have a very deep voice, but my general size works against me as well.
9. So what you are asking is do I think I can "out girl" your average girl? Yes and no. Can I look, act, etc more feminine than some women I know? Oh hells yes! But that being said those girls are not trying, as in they are Tom-boys.

Tess
05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
7. If I went out and it was a dark night, perhaps I'd pass from a distance.

8. Many things would give me away before my voice, but yes, the voice would give me away too.

9. No contest...the girls win hands down.

KarenEdwards
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
1. I usually "pass" or blend well enough in most non-speaking environments. For example, it's been a long time since anyone screamed, threw up or pointed fingers if I'm simply wandering about in a department store or sitting in a restaurant. Or, for that matter, in a Home Depot.

2. Yep, got me on that one! My voice is decidedly male and the clothing itself is never going to change that. But, so far, I've had absolutely no problem interacting with folks, even those with whom I have to speak as, for example, ordering from a menu in a restaurant.

3. No, I don't feel prettier or more feminine than your average GG. In fact, I don't really "feel" different in either boy or girl mode. I'm still me, either way.

Chickhe
05-06-2010, 11:14 AM
7. Passing is a feeling that the people you interact with treat you as they do other women. Maybe it is easier to answer 'not passing' which is having people stop and stare at you because you look like a guy in a dress...or because they notice something about you is unusual.
Also, add that passing is the goal, but I'll take just being respected as any other human being.

8. In some cases this has happened to me so, yes. But, it is probably not the only thing that gives me away.

9. There is no doubt a fantasy aspect and some personal pride in trying to look good...I mean the whole effort is geared towards looking our best. It think the question comes from a GG's female insecurity and misunderstanding that the CDer is not is not in a competition with them. What you need to understand is to offset the male image we have about ourselves we might need to exagerate the female part.

Elsa von Spielburg
05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
7) The first time I went out dressed, one of my GF's friends didn't realize it was me til I spoke. Of course I want to be as pretty/fem as possible under scrutiny, but If I can manage something like that (simply just not standing out like a sore thumb as a guy), then I'll be happy.

8) Hrm, it certainly is my #1 concern, but I'm sure that there are other things, mostly facial structure, that can't be avoided.

9) Heck no! I want to look as good as possible, sure, but the real deal will almost always be better, and I'm cool with that.

Empress Lainie
05-06-2010, 01:17 PM

I hope all you CD's don't get mad at me for barging into this section as I am TS.

Week 3

I am accepted as a gg everywhere and have been hired 3 times as a gg. When I go out with my gg girlfriend, I am the one that gets greeted and checked out more than she does. I have been told I am beautiful so many times by both gg's and men that I finally came to believe it.

The only time I have been read is when I was close dancing with a cowboy, maybe I didn't feel like a gg, I didn't ask him. He came back for another dance later, and wanted to be friends. I saw him again later at the same place and he was very pleasant to me. I had many doubts about my voice doing that, but it has never happened. My mother had a low voice and was always called sir on the phone, I usually get sir on the phone too, but in RL I guess my voice is androgynous enough it doesn't matter. I have never been questioned. I work with gg's and interact with gg's all day long. I am accepted as one of them.

I believe that I am at least in the middle say 50% look better and and 50% worse than me. I always envy anyone with an hourglass figure and being young. (I'm 75 but most people take me for 55. It used to be 42 4 years ago. Must be aging rapidly.)

I am frequently the center of attention particularly when I go dancing. I have had the dance floor to myself between sets with DJ music and usually get applauded. I am a flirt and have had guys actually come to my work station and flirt with me.

Why can I achieve this? I can only attribute it to the fact that this body fortunately looks more female than male: no adam's apple, curvy face, smaller arms than most men, and my best point beautiful legs. I put up some leg pinups on the net and there were 4000 downloads in a week.

!!!

kellycan27
05-06-2010, 01:49 PM
7. Passing ..... NOT being read

8. NO

9. No, but I can give them a run for their money :heehee:

Shelly Preston
05-06-2010, 01:58 PM

I would say passing means being able to get around without getting any abuse or hassle. yes people will notice. I doubt I would get mistaken for a GG if anyone was to look properly

No its not just my voice it will be some of my movements as well ( you cant fool all of the people all the time )

I might on a good day be prettier than a few GG's but the average woman is way prettier than me even without trying

anouk
05-06-2010, 02:45 PM
7) I don't really think I pass in either way. It would definitely happen otherwise but my male face either shows too apparently or has to be covered also too apparently.

8) I have practiced some female frequences and "melody" so I could cheat for a while. However it would uncover me after all, it's not that perfect.

9) I'm definitely more feminine than many Finnish genetic girls, regarding my gestures, makeup, clothes ond so on. I might be prettier than some but don't know if it's fair competition for ladies not trying to be particularly feminine and pretty.

Lexine
05-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Strangers mistake me for a GG when they stare at me. It's happened several times now and now that my voice is a tad more feminine, I think I can now officially go from "passing" to "stealth" just because I blend in well now! :D

A month ago the answer to that would've been a "Yes." Since I grew up with my mostly girls with barely any male role models I've had my entire life to observe feminine behavior and am able to act like one.

When in "stealth (i.e. girl) mode" I think of myself as just another one of the girls. While a man's world is filled with competition, I feel more complacent and just at ease without having to work to impress anyone of the opposite gender - and since I'm not trying to attract guys (or girls, for that matter) as a girl, this relieves a lot of stress in me personally. Wearing women's clothing doesn't give me a boost of hyper-femininity. I'm just a normal girl at that point! So the answer is no, I don't feel more of anything than the average GG.

Sarahwithanh11
05-14-2010, 12:45 AM
1) Passing to me means blending in, which is all I'm trying for!

2) Yes, most of the time. I haven't noticed a strained look as I walk by for quite a while now. But it's happened a couple of times after I've spoken. A while back I was buying a soda and another customer asked how I was this evening. After I answered he's like "wow, you're a dude???" He had a distraught look on his face, and I got out of there as quickly as I could (wearing heels...) but by the time I got to the car I thought it was pretty funny. And an illustration of why not to try to pick up girls at the mini-mart!

3) No, and I've never said anthing to that effect. I do what I want for myself, and to blend in. I'm probably any more feminine than most GGs and I hope to be about average in looks for someone of my age group, which for me is still a fairly ambitious quest.

pj
05-16-2010, 01:43 PM
7) When you say that you "pass", do you mean that you do not stand out as a guy if people don't look too closely, or do you mean that strangers will mistake you for a GG when they stare at you?I think "passing" is an interesting concept, but a rare reality. But that might be because I'm (we're) more hyper-aware of the telltale signs. I suppose for someone who didn't have crossdressing on the brain, they might overlook some of those signs.

8) Do you feel it is only your voice that gives you away when you are read?I've got nothing for this one. Next.

9) Do you really believe yourself to be more feminine, prettier, etc, than the average GG, or do you post these thoughts just because it is a fun thing to do?I guess I haven't seen all these posts by CDs claiming to be prettier than GGs or making GGs jealous. I think the average GG is always going to be prettier than me. Bones are bones and skin is skin. But some of you (CDs) seem to be able to overcome that to a great extent. I suppose it's easier when you are really young or really old. It's that 30 or 40 years in between that are rough. ;)

AmandaM
05-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Week 3

For me, passing is when people think I'm a woman in public. Being thought of as a real woman under scrutiny, that's fantasy for 99% of us, though I would like to be that passable.

No, some mannerisms, some physical guy traits. We can't hide them all. I've worked on my voice a lot, so soon it might not give me away.

I have never felt I was more those things than the average GG. Though, in my 20's, I could look like the average GG. To be thought of as one of them? That would be heaven. As for femininity, I have gone overboard with it. I do consider myself more feminine than most GG's in clothing, makeup, etc. But that's outward femininity, not inward femininity with which I cannot compete. I guess you could say CDers over-compensate because of this.

flatlander_48
05-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Week 3

I don't try to pass, but my response would probably be more like the former.

N/A

No, I wouldn't say that.

corrinediane
06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
There have been times that I thought I mite pass but then I've never had the courage to actually go out.
No

No

RozalynLove
06-27-2010, 10:52 AM

I don't say that I pass, and I never want to pass, I am a male and am happy with people knowing this about me. What I would consider 'passing' to be is that I personally could not tell that a person is actually the opposite gender from what they are presenting without them having to tell me.

As I stated in the previous question, I never attempt to pass and so my voice gives away nothing. Although, if I did try to pass there would be many more things which would make people 'read' me before I even opened my mouth.

I don't consider myself to be anymore feminine than anyone, and I believe that me being prettier than the average girl is a matter of opinion, and other people's opinion at that.

JulieK1980
06-27-2010, 12:41 PM

More like able to pass under the radar without being noticed.

I wish that was all I had to worry about.....

I don't post those thoughts, and I could only dream of being as pretty as the ugliest gg on the planet.

sometimes_miss
06-27-2010, 10:50 PM
I couldn't pass in a coal mine during a power failure and an eclipse.
Nope, because I don't go out dressed up, and never try to change my walk or bodily motions to a female style.
Basically, I don't. I just wish I were.

Karen__Starr
06-27-2010, 11:02 PM
7 I do pretty good when not even trying. In regards to when strangers stare when in female mode there are some people who are just not sure while others see me as female.

8 When properly on top of voice control I am passable. My trans doctor said I was pretty good with my voice. My Adams apple is my worst give away.

9 Never more prettier than a GG and never tried to be. I am posting to give my own views.