PDA

View Full Version : How Do you handle slip ups

Sheila
05-05-2010, 06:55 AM
If when you are in Drab and your wife/partner/family member or friend calls you by your fem name or Male name if you are F2M CDER ......... how do you handle the situation, ignore it, pretend they are talking about someone else .... (e.g a family member or friend )

Do you as an SO mix and match names/genders often/occasionally & if so how do you rectify it

Katesback
05-05-2010, 07:07 AM
THink I would simply ignore it. Call it getting old. MY parents when I was growing up would sometimes mix up my sisters and my names when refering to us.

Sheila
05-05-2010, 07:15 AM
oppppppssssss I do that all the time, even going so far as to mix up my sister and daughters names :eek::doh:, and my sons and sometimes my daughter and my sons names :doh:

DAVIDA
05-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Sheila, a situation that comes to mind is when I might be in drab and Jean says something like "Davida would never go out looking like that!":heehee:

I used to tease my mother. I would tell people that I was six before I realised my name wasn't "LarryDavid"!:D

christina marie
05-05-2010, 08:26 AM
on the rare occasion that my wife calls me by anything other than my given name,it certainly is not my chosen one,and usually not anything near as polite. . .:doh:

kimdl93
05-05-2010, 08:34 AM
never happens - my name is Kim - so its right either way :)

aprilgirl
05-05-2010, 09:43 AM
It has'nt happened among family and friends. In public, she's mentioned as a third person, not that it matters among strangers.

Chickhe
05-05-2010, 10:34 AM
She used to use my 'pet name' until I got mad at her... the truth is, I didn't mind the name, but like you say, it was not something I wanted to explain around my friends or family. The explain, it is similar to talking about the style of your underwear in the presence of your grandma...

suchacutie
05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
The two normal situations that arise for my wife and me are 1) she and I are talking and one of us will start talking about Tina as in, "that would look good on Tina" or "What would Tina think about that?" and 2) Tina and she start talking about me as in, "I wished he'd finally lose those 5 pounds so I could fit into that skirt!".

When I'm in male mode there's never been a misdirected name, so far. When Tina is around, there are times, usually when she first arrives, that a reference to an activity of hers that is really an activity of his will be made, or an endearment will be used that is clearly meant for husband, not for girlfriend. When that happens we smile at each other and use it as an opportunity for Tina to learn how to giggle (she doesn't giggle well, yet!).

The one thing that hasn't happened, yet, is to be overheard talking with each other about Tina. That would be an interesting occurance, for sure!

Nicole Erin
05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I didn't adopt a solid femme name until I was getting more serious about things.
I never had the problem though cause very few people know/knew my previous femme name that was horrible and uncommon. :thumbsdn:

But freaking out if someone called me by my femme name, that would not be very Erin-like

Freddy12
05-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Don't make a big deal about it. Something like She calls me the wrong name all the time might work. If you make a big thing about it, others will also.

Lexine
05-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Since I go by "Alex" as a femme too, and just recently as "Lexi" it's not really too big of a deal to me. If I ever decide to come out to my family (which is highly unlikely), their nickname for me is also "Alex" and, to a lesser extent, "Sunny" (no idea where that came from). So in those terms I'm covered and no one will freak out.

The only problem I see is if I'm in boy mode and someone calls me "Lexi," in which case, I won't know how I'd react!

sherri52
05-05-2010, 08:24 PM
At one auction I go to it is getting all to familiar with people calling me by my fem name. Most of them have seen me dressed.

Brooke Anderson
05-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Well my family slips up and calls my girlfriend by my ex girlfriends name all the time and it has happened so much that it is just quietly ignored like it never happened. My girlfriend has slipped up and called me Brooke on occasion and we pretty much apply the ignore it like it never happened to it.

Leslie Langford
05-05-2010, 10:54 PM
...let me answer your question with a bit of a different variation on that theme, seeing as it arose out of a recent personal experience wherein I nearly shot myself in the foot in the process :heehee:.

A few weeks ago while out shopping en femme, I passed by a Sears store to return a dress that I had bought previously but no longer wanted. My real name is "different" and not necessarily masculine sounding, so I normally use my regular credit cards even when making purchases in girl mode without worrying about it too much. This time, when I handed the cashier my VISA card and she called up my account, she looked a bit puzzled at first and then said that the name on the account doesn't match the one on the card. It was, in fact my wife's name, and since I don't often use this particular card and she has a VISA account in her own name, I have no recollection of how her name ever got linked to my card in Sears' system.

Without thinking, I blurted out "Oh, that's my wife's name!", and as soon as those words left my mouth, it was like watching a car accident unfold in slo-mo, and I could just see my life flash in front of my eyes. "Your wife?" she repeated without blinking or even taking her eyes off the screen, and she then proceeded to update the account with my name on it now as well, taking the information directly from my credit card. As I was still at a loss for words while the enormity of my gaffe sunk in, it was just as well that she didn't make any other comments or ask any further questions. Basically, I just let it slide, tried to act as nonchalant as possible under the circumstances, and waited for her to complete the transaction while expecting the other shoe to drop - which, thankfully, it never did. I should add here that the reason I was especially nervous about being "outed" in this instance was that I was shopping very close to home (which I normally don't do), and in a smallish community like ours, most people are linked by even less than the proverbial six degrees of separation - and who knows how quickly the rumours around this "transvestite husband" of my wife's could then have been triggered.

Well, in the end, no harm was done, my return was processed satisfactorily, and there have been no further repercussions arising out of my momentary foot-in-mouth disease. I can only hope that the cashier took me for a real GG and assumed that the existence of a female spouse indicated a lesbian relationship, which these days people seem to take in stride. Still, those were among the longest 10 minutes of my life...:eek::doh:!

Mya Summers
05-06-2010, 03:14 AM
I get called by my Fem name all the time by everyone that knows me, mostly cause it is short for my real name, but every one spells it Miah, so I went with Mya for my girly name. It makes me want to get into a comfortable skirt, or jeans when I hear it..lol guess that's the perks of adopting what everyone calls u in drab mode and turning it into a Fem name :D

noeleena
05-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Hi.

Oh easy for me, no-el, or noeleena both are female & being so well known is okay .
We, Jos & i have friends who will allways call me no-el any way, it is my birth name.

...noeleena...