PDA

View Full Version : Little things to get used to while cd'ing

Sabrina Duran
05-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Just wondering if we could have a light hearted thread on small things you need to get used to while crossdressing, either from when you started, or even things that still kinda trip you up.

For me, its button up shirts. It's just awkward to button them up with the buttons being on the opposite side. I'm so used to men's shirts and being able to button em up in a snap. But give me a women's button top, and I'm fumbling away trying to put it on.

Tasha McIntyre
05-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah, two things I have to work on. One is that I walk like a big ape :doh:, the other is when I am sitting down I am yet to come to terms with crossing my legs :eek:

I am quite new to all of this though!!!!

Deborah Jane
05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Everything was a struggle to start with, but I'm getting there slowly.
I'm not sure I'm really cut out for this trying to be a woman idea :brolleyes: :heehee:

LisaElizabeth
05-14-2010, 02:02 PM
When I'm out it's hard to let someone open a door for me or to walk in first! Both things my wife takes for granted!! I'm getting better the more often I get out though...
Lisa E

Alice B
05-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Putting on bracelets. I'm all thumbs in that department and it takes forever. And trying to lne my eyes without poking out an eye.

DonnaT
05-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm a swimmer and swim laps most every morning. It took a little while to get used to how much colder the pool was when shaved.

Hard to believe how much difference a little hair makes.

Phyliss
05-14-2010, 02:42 PM
When putting on a tank top, remember to do that first before you do you hair / wig. Learning how to pull up my stockings without stuffing my thumb through a brand new pair.
The toughest was teaching myself to have my money and car keys at the top of my purse when getting a manicure. Fishing through my wallet to pay and digging out my keys has caused many "redo" jobs.

mapletree
05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
i just have to allow for so much more time and sometimes i get side tracked tring stuff so --- i have so much to learn

t-girlxsophie
05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
praise be,a lighthearted thread things been getting too serious around here.I still have trouble keeping my meat and two out of the way:o,never mind when your out on special occasion and needing to (cough)powder your nose with false nails on...tricky:heehee:

Kate Jennings
05-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Constantly having to brush back my hair so I don't stain it with lip gloss! I have very short hair in guy mode.

kimdl93
05-14-2010, 02:57 PM
getting the clasp undone on neclasses - I can't do much when the clasp is behind my head!

NV Susan
05-14-2010, 03:31 PM
For me it's putting on my eye makeup..... :sigh:

mike1989
05-14-2010, 04:05 PM
for me its shaving my face everyday is getting used to

Leslie Langford
05-14-2010, 04:13 PM
For me, some of the items that I am still working on include:

Being careful not to catch the top of my pantyhose in the zipper when trying on a skirt or dress. Also, avoiding getting lipstick or make up smudges on the clothing that I am trying on if I have to pull the items over my head.

Getting used to GG's giving me unsolicited compliments on something I am wearing or buying.

Having GG's engage me in small talk when standing in line to pay for an item, or else asking my opinion on something that they are considering buying.

Making extended eye contact with other GG's or smiling at them when passing them in a mall etc., or when having other dealings with them.

Listening to all the chatter (some of it of a very personal nature) that goes on in a women's washroom while sitting in a stall doing my "business".

Keeping the long hair of my wig away from my mouth when eating.

And above all, WEARING COMFORTABLE SHOES WHEN OUT ON AN EXTENDED SHOPPING TRIP :doh::heehee:!

JackieInPA
05-14-2010, 04:25 PM
NOT responding to my male name!!!

JenniferB
05-14-2010, 04:42 PM
For me, one of the hardest things to get used to was wearing a bra fulltime, especially in hot weather. Please don't get me wrong, I actually love wearing a bra now, it was just a learning process. Also, driving in 4" or 5" heels is a learning process. :battingeyelashes:

carhill2mn
05-14-2010, 05:41 PM
The answer to this question sort of depends upon the extent to which you are CDing. If you are home alone and not going anywhere the list is much smaller.
As to buttons on a blouse - eventually you will become adept; meanwhile, you can leave all but the top 2 or 3 buttoned and just slip the blouse over your head - do be careful not to have it touch your makeup. Tuck the blouse into your skirt/slacks and then pull the front out just a little bit to make a "blouse" effect.
Bracelets and necklaces can be a problem. There is a device available from certain catalogs that allows you to hold one end of the bracelet so that you can manipulate the bracelet with your other hand. If a necklace will not slip over your head it takes practice to learn to hold and clasp/unclasp it.
There are many "little things" that are different. For instance, while wearing lipstick, eating "finger foods"; using your fork and spoon; taking a pill; touching your face or wiping your mouth all require a certain "carefulness".
Freshly polished nails are a challenge; it takes much longer for them to dry completely than you might think. A little bump that you hardly notice may cause a big problem.
Learning to makeup your eyes is a problem for many; practice, practice, practice!
Moving gracefully takes practice; keep your legs together at the ankles or have one leg crossed over the other; do not stride, walk using small steps.
If you are going out in public there are many "little things" that need your attention. Learn how to "handle" your purse; have your car keys in your hand before you get to your car; depending upon the vehicle, there are graceful ways to enter and exit.
Look at others briefly, smile and then look away. Women rarely stare at anyone and are much quicker to give a little smile. A smile may be your best friend when out in public.
Choose clothing, shoes and accessories that fit the locale to which you are going. You
can still be the "best dressed lady there" and yet not be over-dressed.
Obviuosly, this is not a complete list. Pay close attention to women whom you admire and emulate them as best you can.
Have fun and good luck!

Nicole Erin
05-14-2010, 07:33 PM
When I go to school and I am not made up and not have my hair done, they tell me I need to do it.

It is like some people expect me to be pretty all the time...

I now have a taste of why GG's get so aggrivated at the "women should dress pretty all the time" threads. :heehee:

It's a lot of work, and being how I am lazy butt Erin sometimes, I might forego makeup.

So, I am getting used to the fact that being pretty is no longer about pink fog but is now a chore.

jenna_woods
05-14-2010, 08:11 PM
for me it was putting on nylons wirh out getting a run,

Abbey Lane
05-14-2010, 09:43 PM
I been dressing for years and home all the time so not much new but just started with the makeup scene. Putting on mascara drives me crazy. I know it;ll come with practice and I read all the to dos but still smear it. So I practice some more.

Tranny Tee
05-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Most womens jeans have the button on the left just like mens. I have one pair that has the button on the left. I always fumble around with it and it is no fun when I have an urgent need to use the facilities.
Girls got little lessons from their mothers and friends like how to use makeup, how to sit and how to put on a bra, we poor crossdressers are mostly self taught.

makin' it real
05-14-2010, 11:16 PM
I epilate my legs, and for some reason, I can NEVER get the hamstring area to fully cooperate with me. I don't care how many times I go over it, that area will always get irritated from all the sitting I do. The only way I can get it to feel all the way smooth is to shave it, even after epilating. Sheesh!

AriannaVillota
05-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Setting aside enough time to get ready!

It will be like 8:30 and I'll say, oh I can wait an hour!

Then it's 11:30 and I'm just finishing the makeup and rushing around the house and back into the house from my car with that rushed heels walk. =D

Sally24
05-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Learning how to follow instead of lead when dancing!

msginaadoll
05-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Not getting hair in my mouth when eating- long wigs can be tough!

lilmissjenny
05-15-2010, 09:22 AM
wearing tight fitting clothing to show off my figure (well in my case lack of since im a bean pole...lol)

Sarah Doepner
05-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Attempting to put mascara on my eyelashes and not my wig when strands fall out of place.

Finding enough time to not only do a good job of getting ready but having the time to relax just a little and enjoy a quiet moment en femme.

The constant attraction of new clothes, even though I already have more than I can wear in a month.

Get the newspaper from the driveway before getting dressed (the in-laws live next door).

Understanding that putting on the clothing, makeup, wig and forms is not the same as being a genetic woman.

I like to laugh, but not laughing when I'm out and about because I can't even come close to controlling the obvious male sound of it.

Sherry-Stephanie
05-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Pain!!! becoming so picky as a girl that I wasn't as a guy and as my wifes says from time to time a "bitch" when outfits don't work as I expected...

Loni
05-15-2010, 10:57 AM
eye liner, and trying to remember to not be loni when i go to work.:heehee:

Joanne Curl
05-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Putting on eye lashes. I love long full lashes but it takes soo long to get them just right. Most important is keeping my knees together when sitting. Sometimes I forget and it just isn't pretty!

minalost
05-15-2010, 04:13 PM
But mostly sizes for clothing and shoes! That one was the worst!
:hugs:

bianca66
05-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Walking in 6" heels ~ once you get used to it and stop knocking over the bookshelf or riping pictures from the wall...When I put on my 3" heels I tend to started clomping around like a boy again...

Fab Karen
05-15-2010, 04:55 PM
But mostly sizes for clothing and shoes! That one was the worst!
:hugs:
Clothing- you mean the "false advertising"- it says it's a 12, but it's cut like a 10! I'd like to see the clothing industry try that with men's clothes ( I think there'd be rioting ).

Terrihoney
05-15-2010, 05:14 PM
All of the above mentioned. And keeping hands and nails clean. After working on a greasy car, or gardening all day, no amount of nail polish will cover a mess.

Terri

Karen564
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
The only difficulty I ever have with anything is putting the strap through that 2nd small buckle like opening after I get the prong through the tiny hole on some strappy heels I have with my long nails...it's like the strap is slightly too wide to fit through that buckle thingy..not all of them give me a hassle, but some do...guess that's why I wear pumps more, just slip my foot in & go....but I love the looks & feel of my strappy heels better...

Oh well, maybe it's just me....lol
:o

islandgirl
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Doing virtually ANYTHING with long false nails on!!!!!
:Pullhair:

charlytuna
05-15-2010, 06:13 PM
putting the clothes on is the easy part for me. I'm having major problems with most everything else like make=up, styling my wig, walking ,talking, and fashion,which I have none

ColbyInTx
05-15-2010, 08:01 PM
For me it was learning to bend my arms in that particular way to hook or unhook my bra.

Rita B
05-15-2010, 08:23 PM
getting the clasp undone on neclasses - I can't do much when the clasp is behind my head!

They make and sell magnetic catches for necklaces that work well except that they sometimes tend to rotate in view

Frédérique
05-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Just wondering if we could have a light hearted thread on small things you need to get used to while crossdressing, either from when you started, or even things that still kinda trip you up.

I don’t know, everything seems natural and obvious, like I was meant to be doing it from day one. I just laugh at the buttons on the “wrong” side – it’s like paying an entrance fee by way of male awkwardness. I can deal with the cute frustrations I bump into quite easily. I suppose heels trip me up, which may explain why I don’t wear them, but I get dizzy (motion-sick) very easily – flats are my “thing.” I am most clumsy with wigs, simply because they are hard to handle – I’m used to the inconvenience by now, but the little stray hairs invading my facial “space” are annoying yet comforting at the same time. Other than that, I can’t think of many things I’m not used to, except, of course, being male by birth in the first place – that trips me up BIG time…:heehee:

kaitlin
05-15-2010, 11:43 PM
For me it's two little things. One is liquid eyeliner..I love the look but can't ever get it right. Most of the time if I'm going to wear it, my wife has to put it on. Thank God for the pencil type! And the second is trying to hook or unhook my bra from behind! Mostly due to a shoulder injury years ago. So i try only to buy front hook style or I do the "hook and spin" thingy!

AllieSF
05-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Wow, I could just write what everyone else have written, which I will as they apply to me:

Buttons on tops on the opposite side

Starting the zipper on the opposite side on jackets

Undoing the clasp of a necklace

Closing the clasp on a bracelet that is just a bit smaller than the others and has a small clasp and eye ring

Eating my wig with my meal

Trying to get that stray hair out of my mouth when not eating. It just won't let me find it to start with!

Getting the strap buckled on heels with your leg and foot at some uncomfortable and odd angle and still doing it all blind.

trever_zander
05-16-2010, 01:07 AM
#1 has to be; getting a sports bra off after a good workout. these things are so tight that after working out my arms i don't seem to have enough strenght left to pry off a sports bra.

#2 by a distance has to be; the number of times you have to reapply lipstick.

#3 a sticky one; those darn fake nails are so dam hard to get off.

prene
05-16-2010, 02:42 AM
Doing virtually ANYTHING with long false nails on!!!!!
:Pullhair:

I agree doing anything with long painted nails.
Buttons on the opposite side.
Small pockets on my GG jeans.
Shaving your legs almost all the time -otherwise stubbles.
Always keeping my legs together or crossed

These are only my first 5.

PretzelGirl
05-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I have my own hair. I usually put make-up on with my hair clipped back and then style (or attempt to) my hair. Well, once the blow dryer and curling iron and straighener get going, the bathroom gets a bit hot. Add that I am a heavy sweater and panic sets in fast. And how do girls get the hair on the back of their head just right?

Rianna Humble
05-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Several people have said it before, but some of mine include:

Having GG's engage me in small talk when standing in line to pay for an item, or else asking my opinion on something that they are considering buying.

Taking off a top and being careful not to have it touch my make-up.

Freshly varnished nails are a challenge - I usually knock one nail just as I am on the way out the door :sad:

Eye shadow - and I haven't even tried mascara yet!

I try not to eat wigs :heehee:, but I have got my (wig) hair caught in my soup before now - it takes an awful lot of washing afterwards :eek:

Oh yes, the way that men's shirts do up on the wrong side when I have to go in drab :sad:

Gerrijerry
05-16-2010, 10:57 AM
I have to keep remembering to take my bag when I shop or go out to eat. I have almost left it a few times

Audrey34
05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
For me it's two things. Having a more graceful walk and getting into and out of a car gracefully in a skirt. I never realized how difficult it was to get into a car without showing a lot of leg!
-Audrey

Sakura Rini
05-17-2010, 03:39 AM
alittle thing i have trouble getting used to is when laying down in one of my dresses and have to get up without have the bottom ride up showing my underwear

Sweet Sabrina
06-01-2010, 11:18 AM
learning how to hide a few things, learning all the terms. still not sue what some are, GG? where's the dictionary for the new girl? gettingg the right sizes in kingerie and dresses. why are two things that say an 8 always different?

Rianna Humble
06-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Some of the acronyms may take a bit of getting used to, but there is a dictionary (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-120927.html)

annecwesley
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't get out in public, but I take private walks in the woods. So learning to walk gracefully without snagging my hosiery on the trail has been a challenge. But it is also good practice - I have to pay very careful attention to my walk, and I certainly don't walk like an ape now when I'm in a skirt.

btelchy
06-01-2010, 11:14 PM
...Actually picking out what to wear!

t-girlxsophie
06-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I think I cope pretty well at this Crossdressing Lark :devil: but one or two things really take some getting used to ,the tiny clasps on necklaces are a pain,do they have to be so darn small,and when applying Nail Varnish,no matter how careful I am I always either miss the nail and hit my finger or while waiting for it to dry,smudge it so I have to start over again:doh:

carbonara
06-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Trying to stay cool under the wig, makeup, and shaping garments in the hot and humid weather here in Singapore. It's always around 32 degrees C (90 F) with humidity of around 80 to 90%. I always end up sweating like a pig after just a short while.

Wish I can go with the strappy tops n dresses but my shoulders are a big giveaway

crusadergirl
06-02-2010, 03:04 AM
The one thing i can't get use to is not having pockets to put stuff in. It feels so out of place.

carbonara
06-02-2010, 03:08 AM
The one thing i can't get use to is not having pockets to put stuff in. It feels so out of place.

Or with the next to useless shallow pockets on ladies pants

erickka
06-02-2010, 05:50 AM
The thing that really takes getting used to is the small clasps and buttons on the clothing, and fastening them with FINGERNAILS! Walking in stilettos a piece of cake compared to this!

Sally24
06-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Coming back home last night I realized I had to readjust my rearview mirrors. It seems my rearview affects my rearview! LOL My booty forms seem to raise me up off the car seat by at least an inch.

Ashley S
06-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Trying to put tight jeans on after moisturizing! Also, not rubbing your eyes after you've finished your makeup :doh:

Kenix
06-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Don't touch my face after applying makeup.
Eating while wearing a wig.
More laundry :sad:
Exercising fiscal responsibility :D
Carrying a purse around and don't hold it like a running back with a football.

KristyPa
06-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Taking to long to do my makeup. I know better than to try to make it look so good. Just curl my lashes and finish the rest. I spend entirely to long of time to do my lashes.
For whatever reason sometimes I have issues getting a corsett right.

AshCross
06-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Posture!!!!! I'm not as graceful as I want to be!

abigail43
06-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Yes it's setting enough time aside to get ready before going out I have to make sure to start getting ready an hour or so before I have to leave and the other thing is making sure to no get make up on clothes i am trying on

alice clair
06-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Hi Girls
Do you know why the buttons are on the wrong side? I read somewhere that the reason they are backwards is that way back in the 18th century the girls had mammys that dressed them and they would struggle with the little girls buttons, so they were moved to the other side so it would be easier to button them up when facing the other person. Have a fem day.

Michelle

fresan
06-07-2010, 07:45 AM
A lot of the cute trendy clothes come in smaller sizes.

Your feet get chilly when driving with heels and the AC is on.

Things keep falling out of the tiny jeans pockets.

If you bend over, your undies WILL show.

Marcie R.
06-07-2010, 07:48 AM
It took a while but I have now mastered fastening the hooks on a bra behind my back. I know many women fasten them in front and then turn the bra around. I personally don't like doing that.:)

JulieMcKie
06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
For me, it took a while to learn to use my left hand to put nail polish on my right without painting my fingers too.

Also learning how long a bra mark will stay on your chest and back after you take it off.

NathalieX66
06-07-2010, 09:12 PM

yeah, hot pizza. :heehee:

How about trying to remove red nail polish on your toes only to find out they stained your nails, and you have a barbeque with family or friends to go to?

Heisthebride
06-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I am 6'4" and I find it difficult to find shoes that will fit me, unless they are ridiculously high stillettos in red, white or black. Why can't they make cute shoes or in larger sizes.

Nikki A.
06-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Having the patience to let the polish dry. Keeping the hair out of my face and staying cool. Other than that I'm pretty comfy.

Susan4
06-08-2010, 10:31 PM
For me ... there are three:

1 - I wear glasses .. eye makeup is challenge enough ... try it with poor eyesight and the impediment of glasses. You can either see what you are doing and try to steer the various wands in the limited space between your glasses and your eyes ... or you can fly free but blind.

2 - Walking and moving with grace. I have decades of bad habits to overcome or forget. I feel like a caterpillar frozen on the rim of a glass - not knowing what foot to move next. At one point, I even paid for a couple of hours of instruction from a pole dancer. She put me through a class in high heels. She looked like a cloud moving across the floor in 5 inch heels .. I followed along like an elephant in 3 inch heels. I haven't given up ... but.

and,

3 - Putting on earrings (especially studs), bracelets and necklaces with long nails.

Hugs
Susan

Bernadina
06-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Remembering to brush teeth first, then lipstick.

busker
06-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Remebering to zip up in guy mode after I have had a skirt on with no zipper in front.

sophieporter
06-09-2010, 09:22 AM
When I'm out it's hard to let someone open a door for me or to walk in first! Both things my wife takes for granted!! I'm getting better the more often I get out though...
Lisa E

when people open doors for me and stand aside and say "ladies first", i've never been more conflicted, but hell do I love it.

suchacutie
06-10-2010, 04:48 PM
When I started my wife explained that girls have an entire youth to learn and experiment. So, how fast we can relive all of that is a question, but there are a million-zillion things to learn and try and experience. Ok, she's been terrific in covering most of the million-zillion, but there are some things no one thinks to say:

The hair in the mouth thing is just so annoying...and lipstick is such a hair magnet!!!

Time...this going back and forth from one gender to another is a nightmare of time. A great set of polished nails takes a good hour to harden fully! No wonder girls learn to talk about everything! They have all this time to kill, but if you're trying to spend some "en femme" time, this is just lost time :(

The fact that a femme voice has such a dramatic effect on how you think about yourself (at least for me!). Once you leave the male voice behind, the way you talk has to change, and suddenly you aren't who you think you were! Scary, but electric!

And what's with this urge to shop all the time???? I have tons of heels, but I look at the catelogues EVERY time they arrive! I look for dresses all the time! and I look for jean sales all the time! Amazing!

And lastly, avoiding a conversation with a woman that suddenly makes it clear you know way too much about being a woman!!!

But it is all sooooo worth it!!

tina

tammygirl79
06-11-2010, 02:59 AM
A couple things that took awhile for me to get used to was
1) Just how much longer it takes to get ready. As a man it doesn't take long to get dressed or brush my hair. But as a woman it takes so much longer.
2) Learning how to cross my legs were it looked natural, and felt comfortable....and also just remembering to cross them.
3) Trying to keep my long hair out of my mouth/face.

GBNatarii
06-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Having a bra on that felt like it was stabbing my back... I'm seriously starting to wonder if the one I've got is too small... I mean, question for all the GGs and MTFs, is it supposed to feel like it's stabbing ya in the back? I'm guessing "no" but I'm not even remotely close to being a half way decent person to ask that to.

Also... Embarrassing, but there nonetheless... Sitting in any random way so that no one can SEE UP MY SKIRT! It's just so not instinctual yet for me to realize that people can see my parts, ya know? I'm still so used to "spreading," if ya know what I mean. :heehee: