PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe the mirror or the camera?

minalost
05-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I finally got a chance to dress up enfemme on Sunday :). It’s literally the first time I’ve put on makeup in over seven years. Some of it came back – just like riding a bike - but some not so much! I’ve always had a hard time with foundation; I used to use way too much, so this time I really, really tried to use less and I think I ended up using too little instead :doh:! Arg! It’s too bad I didn’t have time to do it more than once, because I’d like to try a couple of variations, to see what difference it would make. Practice, practice, practice as they say…

Anyway, when all was said and done I don’t think it looked TOO bad, judging from what I saw in the mirror. But when I took some photos, I looked all washed out, like some vampire or bloodless zombie :eek:! Ick! (Yes, I found the best photo of the bunch and updated my profile… but beware, only the strong of stomach should venture there; or maybe use the old mirror trick to avoid being turned to stone… shudder…). I’m not really much of a shutter bug, so my lack of skill might have something to do with it too.

So, do the rest of you have this same problem with those darn lying cameras? Or is it the darn lying mirrors?
:hugs:

Tracy_Victoria
05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Camera, Image in a mirror is a refection, a picture from a camera is correct, the mirror is reversed, you can only get a true, representation from a mirror, by using a second mirror, ie the refection is reversed twice.

AKAMichelle
05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
I personally don't like either of them. No matter how hard I try I never seem to be happy with the results.

Mea GG
05-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Well, a lot of time the flash is going to overlight the face or part of it. Or emphasize shadows or blemishes worse than real life.

In the picture in my profile the pic looks better than the mirror re the horrid lines between my eyes. But the camera looks worse on my jaw area which is fine in the mirror, and in the pic I look like a ventriloquist dummy. One person at work said it made my nose too big from being so close (Jiminy Cricket look, she calls it), and the others said it looked like me.

I don't think flipping the image makes much difference but you can do that in Photobucket or Photoshop or whatever if you want to see your phot the same as the mirror pic.

kimdl93
05-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I would prefer to believe the mirror, but the camera seems to be more objective.

docrobbysherry
05-17-2010, 10:10 AM
If so, I think u look very cute in your profile pic!:thumbsup:

As for improving your pics, try working on the liting, as well as finding a LOOK u like!:)

As for ME, I'm fortunate to be NEARSITED! So, I pretty much see the SAME image in my mirror as in my pics!:brolleyes:

Sarah Doepner
05-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I prefer not to believe in either one and go with the fantasy image the voices in my head tell me looks just like a V.S. model. :eek:

For you color, the mirror may be the best choice if you have good lighting. All too often the flash on a camera will wash out all the color, giving you that pale complexion you mention. Unless you have mulitiple mirrors you can use to see your profile, you have to believe the camera when it comes to how you look from any angle other than straight on.

Deborah Jane
05-17-2010, 10:15 AM
I prefer the mirror :battingeyelashes:

I'm sure the camera lies [well mine does :sad:]

sherri52
05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Wether your in front of a camera or a mirror there is still the difference of lighting. The mirror is usually affixed to a wall and doesn't get the light that you really want for a close up look. The camera can be brought to another room or even outside to help you get the look you are looking for. The right lighting can also make your pic look better than than the real thing. Have fun with it. Find a pic you like and make it a keeper.

Carol A
05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
I prefer the mirror but must believe what the camera tells me. Sometimes I am very happy with a picture other times I wonder why the camera didn't break.:heehee:

EnglishRose
05-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Put it this way. When I sifted through 90 or so webcam shots I liked only three or so of them. However if I showed those three as my only shots they'd be unrepresentative of my looks. So I don't think the camera lies; however it's how we use its results that really affects how we're perceived, right?

Time to put in my avatar I guess. Yes, this is one I liked which goes to show how bad the others are :p (fish, fish)

Kate Simmons
05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Neither. The safest bet is to go by how others react to us.:)

LisaElizabeth
05-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I think when we dress, whether CD or GG, we have a tendency to look in the mirror and at the camera through 'rose colored glasses'. I mean, we just spent an awful lot of time and money, putting together an outfit, makeup, hair, jewlery and shoes!!!
So-o-o we would feel feminine. If you looked at the image and didn't like what you saw, you would either change your outfit or your makeup or your jewlery until you liked what you saw!!
SO both actually lie to you!!!
I have to agree with Denise Rhodes!! It's how you are treated once you are out the door and mixing with the general population that determines how well you did, not your opinion or another crossdresser's opinion.
Lisa E

minalost
05-17-2010, 12:11 PM
If so, I think u look very cute in your profile pic!:thumbsup:

As for improving your pics, try working on the liting, as well as finding a LOOK u like!:)

As for ME, I'm fortunate to be NEARSITED! So, I pretty much see the SAME image in my mirror as in my pics!:brolleyes:

No, but I'll take it :o! Thanks :)!

You're right of course, but it would be nice to have a photo to post that I really like...

Mickeytgurl
05-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I usually choose to believe the camera. When I do the makeup in the mirror, it is usually with glasses on, and quite close. As a result, I see every line, every pore, every tiny flaw. Most often, I am stunned at how wonderful the camera shots come out!

BRANDYJ
05-17-2010, 12:24 PM
I trust the mirror. In the mirror I see a real foxy woman. The camera 'must' be lying. Don't believe me? Just look at my pictures! The mirror says I'm 10 times better looking then those pictures! Honest! LOL:daydreaming:

Crissy Kay
05-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Very interesting and different subject. I tend to belive the camera myself. I take a lot of webcam pics, but have only posted a few. I like the looks of the girl in the mirror, but the camera tells the truth!!

jenna_woods
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I go by the camera, its helped me a lot in looking better

Super Amanda
05-17-2010, 12:37 PM
I used to put it in perspective like this : When you look at someone else in a mirror, a spouse or friend or whatever, do they look much different? To me they don't, and that tells me that people look more like their reflection than they do in most photos.

The flash is your worst enemy, and I didn't start seeing better pics until I got rid of the flash and tried natural light.

ClaudiaDawn
05-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi Mina,

I looked at your profile picture and you looked terrific, I don't know what you don't like about the picture.

Myself I prefer the mirror, when I look in the mirror the pink fog is in full force and what I see is a beautiful, young woman looking back at me; when I look at the pictures after the fact then I can see why the cats hide and try to claw their way out of the house.

Hugs,
Claudia Dawn

kimberly ann487
05-17-2010, 01:23 PM
My perspective is that of an amateur photographer. There are many more ways to screw up a portrait than there are to make the subject look good. All the wonderful photos of the girls on this site look great in spite of our little point and shoot, built in flash cameras. Not only that a camera takes one brief moment in time. Morrors are more dynamic, we move around, tilt our heads, smile, etc. to improve what we see.
Just to put another slant on the subject, how about videos ?
:idontknow:

Karen564
05-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Mirror or camera....I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

Unless your a professional studio photographer with high end lighting & lenses & know what your doing...which most of us are not..

So for now, I'll just keep using my magic mirror..because my pictures look like total crap....lol

Lorileah
05-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I like the camera....and photoshop :)

To get good pictures you have to overdo the make up

Alice B
05-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Our eyes, which have the ability to be selective in what they see, which allows the brain a wide variety of options in what it perceives. However the camera lens sees all and is not selective unless you have the photographic skills to control lighting, depth of field, etc. So, while we practice our skills at dressing, make up, etc. we must refine our photographic skills to make ourselfs look our best.

Juliemckay
05-17-2010, 04:08 PM
My imagination never lies. I'm sticking to that.

I prefer the look in the camera (photoshop anyone?), but the mirror is more accurate

minalost
05-17-2010, 04:25 PM
My imagination never lies. I'm sticking to that.

I'm all for that! I alway look good with my eyes shut and my minds eye wide open :D!

My thanks to all for your advise on make up and lighting with a camera. I'll have to give some of it a try next time out...

Additional thanks to eveyone who said nice things about my profile photo...

TGMarla
05-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I believe the camera way more than I believe the mirror. In the mirror, I often love the way I look when en femme. But the camera doesn't lie, and for every really good photo I take of myself, I have four or five others that prove I'm little more than a guy in a dress. I think that when we look in the mirror, we see more of what we want to see, rather than what we are actually seeing. Cameras are the opposite; they show us the reality of the situation, whether we like it or not.

Super Amanda
05-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I think that when we look in the mirror, we see more of what we want to see, rather than what we are actually seeing. Cameras are the opposite; they show us the reality of the situation, whether we like it or not.

I think it's just the opposite...the completely motionless, unchanging image of a photograph seems more like a misrepresentation, IMO. Not to mention any kind of artifacts that may show up that change a picture slightly.

In a mirror, you see what is being reflected, unbiased, just reversed.

Imagine walking down the street along a building with highly reflective windows. Now imagine that there are dozens of other people around walking along with you. When you look over at the reflections walking along, do they all look "better" somehow than they do when you just look at them?

I agree that we can see what we want to see to a degree, but I think mood makes more of a difference. There were times when I took a few dozen pictures and hated all of them when I reviewed them. But after a day or so, I found that I did in fact like many of the pics after all. And on the flip side, I've had pics that I thought I looked soooooo beautiful that I had to make an avatar pic out of it, then a few days later I look at the picture and wonder what the heck I was thinking...

So which one to believe in? I live full time, so I have to believe in my reflection, and whether in a bank, or a grocery store or my sons elementary school, when I catch my reflection, standing there among the general public, I smile, and I like what I see, because it's me! :)

ReineD
05-17-2010, 04:55 PM
I believe the camera is more accurate too, but the issue at least with me, is stiffening up in front of it and having a forced or an unnatural appearance. I hate having my picture taken. This shows, in just about every shot.

Andromeda
05-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I would go with the mirror. The camera's image is influenced by many other elements such as lighting and the camera's settings.

Kaz
05-17-2010, 05:37 PM
I love the profile pic... it is a real person!

I look better in "some" photos and not others - oh the joy of digital photography!

I do "not too bad" pics occasionally (no photoshop)... but real life (mirror) I am a middle-aged guy doing what he shouldn't!

But when in the pink fog... it all looks good!

xx

Tasha McIntyre
05-17-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't like my camera sometimes :Angry3:

Sometimes its just little things like the flash lighting seems to emphasise every flaw in my sometimes woeful attempts at applying makeup.

Other times I look in the mirror and think "hey that looks great, let's go shopping" and take a few photos before stepping out. Later when I see the photos it's like uggggh uh ohhh, that skirt's too short girl, or something similar :doh:

Tash

Sheila
05-17-2010, 05:39 PM
I hate both if I am in front of them, they show a fat short middle aged woman who is nothing like the sexy svelte girl I feel inside :sad:

NicoleScott
05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I like and use both the mirror and the camera. The mirror gives me feedback for the present. The camera gives me feedback for the future.
The camera lets me see myself from an angle other than the straight on view the mirror gives me, unless I use two or mirrors for side and back views.
To see yourself best with either mirror or camera, lighting is vitally important.
One trick I use to see if the picture might turn out good is to set a mirror on a stand (I use a makeup mirror on a pedestal stand) next to my camera on a mini-tripod. I can check the lighting (shadows don't like me, and the feeling is mutual) and the pose. When it looks right in the mirror, I click. I use a shutter timer and know within a second when the picture will be snapped.
Doing all this, trying to make the best photos possible, within the limitations of the equipment, I still feel lucky if 1 in 10 or more turn out good. Yes, we are our own worst critics, but I know a bad pic when I see one.
When cd's post questions on how to do good makeup, I often reply: practice.
I think the same goes for good picture taking: practice. In both cases, make mistakes and learn from them.

Angiemead12
05-17-2010, 07:54 PM
i love the camera!

NancyTO
05-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Camera seem more critical and captures you from different perspectives and angles. Yes the flash tends to go through your make up at times and not give you a great complexion.

When I look at my friends in the camera, they look exactly like I reconize them looking like at the time of the picture. So I trust the camera more.

Say Cheese. :D

Debb
05-17-2010, 08:37 PM
I would prefer to believe the mirror, but the camera seems to be more objective.

I had to quote both of these, for accuracy. I also prefer the mirror; I must get close, as I'm near-sighted, and the mirror I use is not a full-length one... this gives the result of it being only my face, and all I see is the makeup/eye shadow/lipstick/earrings, and I'm pretty for a moment.

Then I go and screw-up and take a photo. Back to reality (sigh)...

But yeah, Denise has it. Reactions tell us a lot, and really it's the fact that we're live-action, smiling, etc .. that makes all the difference. Just being people.

Barbara Dugan
05-17-2010, 08:56 PM
I think the mirror because for better or for worse looks more real:hugs:

Lynn Marie
05-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Lighting is everything and your profile picture looks great. You made me look!

skylance
05-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Interesting question, my opinion is that neither one can lie, they r both accurate, but there tends to be a lot of differeneces with lighting, environment, the photographer, perceptions, etc. in the mirrors and the cameras. I honestly believe that use both can help to improve your image, if your willign to put in the effort. :) Anyways, just my :2c:

Frédérique
05-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Do you believe the mirror or the camera?

What about a camera with a mirror? :heehee:

I believe in what I see, which means I believe in reflected light and how we (as humans) perceive it. This is my religion – see my profile page. Mirrors don’t lie, but you can fool yourself (if you’re not careful) by only seeing what you wish to see. On the other hand, photography is a selective, artistic process that can be manipulated to bring out what you want to see, or, in this case, how you want to look. It takes a little knowledge and practice to be able to shape your images as you see fit, using a camera as a tool of expression. This "education" comes by way of trial-and-error, so keep trying…:doh:

missdanie
05-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Helloooo, ladies...

Here's a question right up my alley! I've been a professional makeup artist for almost 20 years and in the last decade, I've performed portrait photography, mostly for artists in the music industry. Before I switched course and pursued a nursing degree, I worked as a graphic designer, doing more photo editing than one can shake a stick at. These days, I teach anatomy & physiology while I pursue my MSN, but I maintain and continue to professionally use my makeup/photo/graphics skills. I'm genetically female and stereotypically female, too.

I give all this background to let you know that I understand the 9,392 factors involved in image and portraying it, including: physical anatomy, cosmetics, styling, posture, cameras, lighting, image capture, and attitude. So here are some random, unordered observations based on that experience:

1. Cameras do, in fact, lie. They can see things human eyes do not. Yes, it's possible that your mirror image perception is based on imagination, but before jumping to the conclusion that this is so, consider other possibilities first. I'm assuming no one here is using professional lighting.

2. If your foundation or concealer contains physical SPF like zinc or titanium, the camera will tend to skew the color, usually for the lighter, even if you are not using a flash. For a host of reasons, I like using professional brands for CDs and MtFs, like Cinema Secrets, Make Up For Ever, or RCMA. The finish is less flat, more natural.

3. If you are photographing yourself and you are using a flash, this problem will be even worse, and this will tend to happen even without physical SPF. The flash will reflect off of any light pigments, any shinier spots on your face, anything that is closer to the camera, etc. Skin tones pretty much have no hope of looking even.

4. If you are lit from the back or from above or below, this will emphasize shadows in places where you probably do not wish to see shadows. If you have applied contour makeup, the camera and lighting will probably conspire to make some areas look gaunt and other areas look bloated. Again, this isn't how things actually look.

5. The best lighting is natural light, or at least enough nicely toned artificial light, from behind the camera. Lighting yourself well gives you a fighting chance at appearing as lovely as you actually do.

6. Back to the foundation and concealer. Use less makeup and more blending. I'll say it again: less makeup, more blending. If you need more coverage, apply several thin layers rather than one thick layer. This will always look better -- always! -- both in life and on camera.

7. Make sure the undertone of your makeup matches the undertone of your actual skin. This is something that is far more obvious on camera than in life, though it's fairly noticeable to others in life. Don't stop the makeup at some arbitrary point on your chin, either. Blend it into your hairline, onto your ears, down your neck. Go all the way down to the decollete depending on how you're dressing.

8. Use great lighting and a good mirror to do your makeup! This will help you to develop a critical eye. Flip frequently between magnifying and regular mirrors.

9. If you see a tinge of blue/grey color at the facial hair areas, consider using a salmon-toned "beard cover" before applying foundation. Don't cake on foundation or concealer to solve the problem; you need to neutralize, not pile on more skin-toned makeup.

10. One problem I notice a lot is that people go "makeup-happy" and go all-out with eyes AND cheeks AND lips. This doesn't photograph well. In life, it doesn't look so hot, but in photos, without benefit of an animated expression, it's even worse. Pick a feature and go with it. Use makeup on the rest, yes, but consider them supporting actors.

11. An eye makeup problem I've noticed frequently is that most eyes should not be lined all the way around. Try lining and shadowing the outer 2/3 of the eyelid only. This creates the illusion of wider-set eyes.

12. Resign yourself to taking 100 photos for each one you like. Just decide ahead of time that that's the way it is. Pro photographers throw away a lot of photos, too.

13. Keep in mind that a photo is a moment in time. It could be the moment you're blinking or the moment that you're changing position or a moment when you're feeling awkward. It's difficult to capture a dynamic personality in a photo. I find that animated faces are harder to photograph than others. Some of the most attractive people I know look really bad in most photos of them. This is why photographers are employable! ;)

14. When posing, to start: Try to look UP slightly at the camera. Lean TOWARD the camera and think about keeping your neck LONG. Pretend there's someone just behind and above the camera and you're telling him or her a sly, funny, wry story. See what happens to your expression.

15. If you feel stiff or awkward, jump up and down a few times and keep taking photos. You might be surprised.

Okay, I've written a novel!

I don't have the time or the space here to talk about application techniques or cosmetic formulations, but these are important. I'm going to hang out at crossdressers.com for a little while, so if you have specific questions, feel free to ask them.

-D

t-girlxsophie
05-18-2010, 11:49 PM
They both take turns at telling me giant porkies.They gang up on little ol' me :tongueout at me lol. thats why my fave pics are always from a distance,I've only took maybe half a dozen that I'm really happy with