PDA

View Full Version : Fly on the wall

kellycan27
05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
On Sunday I had arranged to meet my b/f at a local restaurant for breakfast near the hospital where he works.He arrived before we did ( we being myself and my g/f's kids, aged 1 and 4 years) and secured us a table. ( My friend is having a difficult pregnancy and has been ordered to stay in bed for the time being, her husband is a fireman and he works 3 days straight at a time, so I watch the kids while he's at work)... so much for setting things up.
Seated next to us was a couple who appeared to be in their mid 40's along with their twin teen aged daughters. The woman noticed my purse and asked me about it. A short conversation ensued. My b/f wolfed down his breakfast and excused himself as he had to get back to the hospital. He gave me a kiss on the cheek and departed. The woman said.. Your children are adorable. The little one looks like you, but i think she ( the four year old) looks more like her daddy, over all a good mix of both of you.
Just then one of the twins sat straight up.. mom ,dad look! those are guys. Two cder's had entered the restaurant and were waiting to be seated. One looked to be about 50, and the other maybe 30 something. The older of the two was obviously a bit tipsy, and a bit boisterous, but not obnoxious, and seemed to be oblivious to the crowd, while the younger one seemed a bit apprehensive. The girls were watching them and when the mom noticed said.. it's not polite to stare. One girl asked her father.. What do you think dad? He looked over his glasses and said.. The tall one could use a shave, and I am not crazy about the fishnets, but other than that she's kinda cute, but not as cute as your mom. Now mind your own business and eat your breakfast. The girls gave a little giggle at that and went about eating their food. The woman said. I think it's disgusting. The husband set down the paper he was reading and asked what was so disgusting. That he is drunk at 9:00 am on a Sunday morning. ( That kind of made me laugh inside) It's Las Vegas he said, people come here to let go. It looked to me like they had in deed been partying all night and hadn't had or taken time to "freshen up".
As I mentioned.. the older of the two was being a little loud so people were taking notice. As I scanned the room I noticed that while people were looking, nobody was really staring and the general reaction seemed to be indifference. I didn't hear any laughing or negative comments which I thought was pretty cool. In a city who's population is so diverse it was nice to see that maybe society is beginning to be more tolerant of those who are different. This restaurant is a bit off the beaten path, and most of the patrons are locals. I was actually quite proud of the way my neighbors just took things in stride, and didn't make things uncomfortable for these too people.

Kel

Katesback
05-17-2010, 02:08 PM
So I take it that they did not construct the gallows or burn them at the stake. So its not just me that never experienced all these terrible things that sooo many are afraid of!

Katie

carhill2mn
05-17-2010, 02:13 PM
The people in the restaurant are to be commended. It is too bad that the CDs did not display the same kind of good manners. Unfortunately, CDs like this make it tougher for society to be more accepting of the rest of us.

Sara Jessica
05-17-2010, 02:25 PM
This illustrates why every time I go out I'm mindful that the impression I make could impact those who come after me. This is especially important to help (or at least not hurt) those who are 24/7. But when all was said and done, it looks like this situation was pretty much no harm, no foul.

BTW, what is also evident in your story is that no one paid any mind to your gender Kelly which of course is a wonderful thing.

kellycan27
05-17-2010, 02:38 PM
This illustrates why every time I go out I'm mindful that the impression I make could impact those who come after me. This is especially important to help (or at least not hurt) those who are 24/7. But when all was said and done, it looks like this situation was pretty much no harm, no foul.

BTW, what is also evident in your story is that no one paid any mind to your gender Kelly which of course is a wonderful thing.

They must not have made a bad impression because nobody seemd to pay them much mind.. they were having a good time.

Me? Nobody pays me much attention anymore, except maybe the boys...LOL

Kel

jennifer easton
05-17-2010, 02:41 PM
why would any one pay any attention to Kelly, other than be envious of her boy friend,and his very good taste in women

Karen564
05-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Hey Kel,
I loved the story, since it made me feel like I was sitting at the table with you.....lol

I love that cool laid back attitude the twins father had...which he handled his daughters very well..

Just like you've said a million times, most people just don't give a rats a** what others do since their so wrapped up with their own lives.....life goes on...

Thanks for sharing here,
:hugs:

Jilmac
05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
That is so cool, but then in LV I suppose the locals are quite used to seeing people in every way, shape or form. I have been out and about in the Milwaukee area (I consider myself a local) and seldom receive a sideways glance. So maybe we are becoming more accepted. :thumbsup:

kellycan27
05-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey Kel,
I loved the story, since it made me feel like I was sitting at the table with you.....lol

I love that cool laid back attitude the twins father had...which he handled his daughters very well..

Just like you've said a million times, most people just don't give a rats a** what others do since their so wrapped up with their own lives.....life goes on...

Thanks for sharing here,

Hi sis... I wondered who ate my toast! lol
Kel

AllieSF
05-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks Kelly for the uplifting thread. I really liked the way the dad handled his wife's question. Regarding setting a bad example for the rest of us CD's, I say, bulls**t to that. As Kelly and the husband clearly said it is Vegas, maybe a bit out of the way for this particular restaurant. People go there to party, let loose and enjoy, or at least get to know the experience, and many do stay up all night and maybe are at the end, at that time of the morning, of a wonderful night out. Now if a "normal" couple of ladies came in, no one would have said a thing, except look at them like they did in this case and recognize that it is Vegas, life as usual. So I say, they were just being like so many other people are while in Vegas, locals or visitors.

kellycan27
05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks Kelly for the uplifting thread. I really liked the way the dad handled his wife's question. Regarding setting a bad example for the rest of us CD's, I say, bulls**t to that. As Kelly and the husband clearly said it is Vegas, maybe a bit out of the way for this particular restaurant. People go there to party, let loose and enjoy, or at least get to know the experience, and many do stay up all night and maybe are at the end, at that time of the morning, of a wonderful night out. Now if a "normal" couple of ladies came in, no one would have said a thing, except look at them like they did in this case and recognize that it is Vegas, life as usual. So I say, they were just being like so many other people are while in Vegas, locals or visitors.

Exactly right Allie, if you could measure setting an example on a scale of 1 to 10, these two maybe rated a 2 in comparison to what I have witnessed in the many years I have lived here. Not even on the radar. Just people enjoying themselves.

Karen564
05-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi sis... I wondered who ate my toast! lol
Kel

Hey Sis !,
Um,....sorry about that, but I was so hungry!...lol

Loni
05-17-2010, 03:40 PM
sounds like a great plot for a story,
a boy friend,
a girl friend,
you in the middle,
kids,
and the fire dept.
a couple late night tranies,
and the good ol town wholesome family.

linnea
05-17-2010, 03:43 PM
It's nice to read stories like yours, Kelly. Thank you.

Lorileah
05-17-2010, 03:44 PM
nice Kel. Will have to find out the name of this restaurant for next time I have been out on the town all night there

Sheila
05-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Nice Kelly, it seems it is as we already know, most folks don't care what others do so long as you ain't pinching their parking space in the mall :D, but there will always be one or two idiots in every crowd who just gotta say summat, dad id good :thumbsup:

Kathi Lake
05-17-2010, 04:58 PM
I like how the father defused the situation to his kids with humor, essentially saying, "Nothing to see here. Move along." Good for him - especially trying to get his wife's perspective corrected as well. I certainly hope that the rest of the world is moving in that direction.

Kathi

Fab Karen
05-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Nice to hear. Though that woman seems to imply it'd be ok to be drunk on a Monday morning for example. If she doesn't think Sunday morning has some special meaning ( as opposed to a Monday ), why mention the day?

kellycan27
05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Nice to hear. Though that woman seems to imply it'd be ok to be drunk on a Monday morning for example.:strugglin

I suppose you can read into it whatever you like :)

Kaitlyn Michele
05-17-2010, 10:54 PM
great story! thnx

~Michelle~
05-18-2010, 03:54 AM
In a city who's population is so diverse it was nice to see that maybe society is beginning to be more tolerant of those who are different.

Let's stay realistic, people in larger cities are on average a lot more tolerant than in small towns, your experience is sadly in no way an accurate reflection of society in the USA or other countries.

kellycan27
05-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Let's stay realistic, people in larger cities are on average a lot more tolerant than in small towns, your experience is sadly in no way an accurate reflection of society in the USA or other countries.

I didn't say a lot more tolerant, I said more tolerant.And I am not just basing my statement on this single incident. I am basing it on 8 years of living as a woman in mainstream society,working,playing, and traveling the in the states and abroad. I am basing my statement on all of the positive outings that people right here on this site rave about, I am basing my statement on all of the really nice mainstream people that I interact with on a daily basis and who accept me for who and what I am, and I am basing my statement on the experiences of my own personal tg friends and acquaintances. And lastly I am basing my statement on the fact that I see and hear about many many more positive experiences as opposed to negative. How many ..I got beat up, I got threatened, or chased.. threads have you read here? I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that more of the closeted types seem to think that society is out to get them then the ones who are brave enough to try it. " I was so scared, but it was no big deal" "nobody paid me any mind" " it was great". "I can't wait until I can do it again". No it's not perfect, but we are making progress.
With that being said I am curious as to what you base your statement on? Personal experience?, hearsay? ( what you read) Are you out? Do you live it?
Do you interact with mainstream society? Have you been attacked, shunned,or rejected on a semi or regular basis? :strugglin

pamela_a
05-18-2010, 08:51 AM
That's a great story Kelly. I keep trying to tell people it's not as bad as they imagine it is out there. Thanks for the story backing it up

He gave me a kiss on the cheek and departed. The woman said.. Your children are adorable. The little one looks like you, but i think she ( the four year old) looks more like her daddy, over all a good mix of both of you.

At risk of causing the pain of regret. Congratulations Kelly :hugs:

EnglishRose
05-18-2010, 09:04 AM
I like stories like this. I've read so many of them in my bid to conquer internalized fears and get out there for once; having heard how it really isn't that bad out there helps. Of course, knowing and doing are two separate entities. Someday :daydreaming: