PDA

View Full Version : Some Makeover Experiences

Joanie
08-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Thought I would pass this along. Been lurking here awhile and finally registered tonight. I noticed some theads in which variousposters talk about calling a store before going to shop there to sound out a clerk.

Well, I have had this unrequited desire to have a full makeover, for many years now. About a year ago, our son went off to college and I started calling around to a few Merle Nomans nearby, just to see how kin they might be to giving me a makeover. With the exception of a Macs in a large city that has a separate store, I can't go to the counters in department stores since it is all too public for me.

Anyway, I soon found that some Merle Normans have private areas. Since I travel alot, I used their website and called a number of them throughout the southeast, at first to try to match one with where I was going but then to just get the positive reinforcement I kept receiving. Some samples...

One woman at a small town store kept calling me "Hon" and in the sweetest voice told me to come in and she would take care of me in their private area on a Saturday morning.

Another woman said no, we don't have a private area but I was welcome to come in and borrow a video tape on how to use makeup. This was in a small Southern town and I was a strange male voice on the phone. She said, "just be sure to return the tape." She trusted me and was full of Southern hospitality.

Concerned about my desire for privacy (my job takes me all over the state, I know people in cities and towns and am scared of running into someone I know) one woman offered to let me in and out of there back door! Decided not to go there though, as I passed my own rule to not try this in state.

Some locations said they have given makeovers to guys either before or after hours. One laughingly chided me to come on in, that it would be fun, she would make up half my face and teach me how to do the other half.

Very few negative comments. No one ever hung up or sounded cold. One older woman said she had never talked to a man about makeup but was really intrigued by my wearing it and asked me questions, in a very friendly way. One woman said I should go to an Estee Lauder she used to work for as the products are better.

The only one I have actually been to thus far is owned and operated by a 70 year old woman, who looks about 60. Very nice, I spent about $140.00 there. I couldn't be there before or after hours because of meetings and social committments but she did my lips with a number of different lipsticks and glosses before the store closed late one afternoon with no other customers there.

My wife heads out of town with her mother in about a month or so, so I am finally going back for a full make over. My wife knows I visited a Merle Norman as I showed her my makeup but she really didn't have a lot to say, excpet her sister used to wear that brand. She tolerates my dressing away from her.

Anyway, my point, most women I have talked to in what turned into almost a telephone survey were terrific! I couldn't have asked for more supportive, sweet females to talk with as I called around. So, anyone who is shy like myself, don't fear, you will be helped and accepted.

P.S.--As far as makeovers, go to Macs if you can as they have a policy of treating males and females the same, as many of you have noted on here.

Laurie Ann
08-19-2005, 09:32 PM
A question what is Macs?

tifftg
08-19-2005, 09:41 PM
MAC is a brand of cosmetics. Wonderfully open to all, great stuff, somewhat pricey, but the experience of being treated so well is worth it in my opinion. They have standalone stores in some cities and often are in high end department stores. Go to their website www.maccosmetics.com They have a terrific site with lots of help and the ability to pose questions to their makeup artists. You can also buy online.

Joanie
08-19-2005, 10:01 PM
You right, it seems to be a great store, at least it is over the phone. The stand alone store in Atlanta told me that they have a program that they call Beauty For Men. One is if you want to laern how to wear everyday makeup, the other is a much more flamboyant look that she decribed as drag queen. I told her I would be interested in the everyday if and when I can get there.

The makeover lasts about an hour and a half, $90.00. I am anxious to try their lipsticks. Also, MAC is owned by Estee Lauder.

Krystal Lee
08-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Joanie,
It has been my experiance that calling ahead for anything makes the process go so much smoother. I have had some ladies say no they would rather not or, (for trying things on) that I could use the mens area.

Only had one really negitive reaction and that was in Kansas City. A woman laughed at me over the phone and said NO!!! and then hung up. Needless to say I spent my money in another store and she will never know how much in sales she lost.

Have done the same thing for makeovers and found not all salons are interested in doing a man, but those that are are worth the effort of finding. Even after you have been doing your own makeup for a length of time, and you feel comfortable doing it, a makeover will show you things you forgot or because it's a different person showing you, things you did not know before.

It sound like you travel about a bit so you should be able to locate about any service you would need out of your home area and state. I understand your feer of being sighted by someone you know, but have found personally that, people see what they want to see and that dosen't include a man in drag. They see a woman and don't think any more about it unless you draw attention to your self.

Have fun shopping and getting your personal attention it always makes me feel so special whenever I get to do those kinds of things.

Hugs Krystal

Joanie
08-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi Crystal in Wyoming.

I am sorry the narrow minded woman laughed at you. I can understand a woman being uncomfortable with working with a guy, after all, my wife doesn't want to give me a makeover but there is no excuse to laugh and be rude to someone. Think of her everytime you spend money that might have been spent there.

Yes, my main goal is getting out of state for this as my work demands that I make somewhat frequent workshop talks and I never know who all has seen me at that and if they are in, say, the Merle Norman fifty miles that would be "safe" except I have probably spoken to a few people from there in one of these groups and wouldn't recognize them if I saw them.

Sounds like from your experience you have had some enjoyable times shopping. I imagine being pampered with a facial, make over, or pedicure can be wonderful, hope to soon find out!

Hugs,

Joanie