PDA

View Full Version : O.K., So we really do have it pretty good.

Stephanie Miller
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
We sure complain a lot about the good US of A. Maybe we should think twice before opening our mouths. Let's hear from girls in other places that don't quite have it as good as us. I don't give it a second thought when I get changed and go to the mall to pick up a new dress or some make-up. How lucky we are. Now I know there are places where the "Sheriff Buford T Justice" still creates his own laws and sure there are a lot of bigoted, narrow minded, ill bred, ill informed etc. etc. (sorry, got carried away) type people in the USA, but as a whole I'm talking about.
For instance in Nigeria the crime of dressing as a woman is punishable by up to a year in prison. LGBT rights in Iran took a huge hit after the Iranian Revolution in 1979. and in early 2006, the United Arab Emirates imposed six years jail on 11 gay men arrested at a private party. They were imprisoned not for sexual acts, but merely for being gay and attending a gay social gathering.
I really don't think about hiding what I type, for fear of someone confiscating my computer and putting me in jail. Or worry about a knock on the door because a neighbor saw me as I walked past my bedroom window and felt "religiously compelled" to turn me in.
(Although it does make one question how many crossdressers are hiding under burkas where they can't be seen? Talk about camouflage!)
So, how about you girls from other countries enlightening us more ignorant about the ways of the world.

minalost
05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Having lived overseas much of my life (air force brat...) I have to agree. And I'm not even talking about crossdressing!
:hugs:

Kate Simmons
05-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Well the NSA knows all about us Stephanie but evidently doesn't consider us a threat or take us seriously, otherwise we would not have the freedom to post this stuff. Yeah we do have it pretty easy compared to some.:)

Leslie Langford
05-17-2010, 11:12 PM
"...LGBT rights in Iran took a huge hit after the Iranian Revolution...", they are also in such *denial* about homosexuality over there that you'd think the Nile River ran through their country rather than the tributaries to the Tigris and the Euphrates.

Bizarre as it may sound, they are so freaked out over there by the concept of men being gay that they actually push them into having SRS surgery, even if they aren't transsexual per se. Seems that to their way of thinking, it is O.K. for a gay man to have sexual relations with another gay man as long as the "equipment" possessed by one of them fits the conventional mold.

So while some countries (and alleged medical "experts") still don't consider gender dysphoria and transgenderism to be legitimate conditions calling for surgical intervention (and national health and/or medical insurance plans often don't cover them), here's this religiously fundamentalist country all gung ho over them.

We live in strange times :doh:.

vikki2020
05-17-2010, 11:17 PM
So true! And it really has been getting even better with more and more acceptance, and laws to back us up. Workplace policies have been getting changed, and the list goes on. I do feel for the girls in some of the worlds less tolerant countries.

Tanya C
05-18-2010, 01:34 AM
You make a good point. We do have it pretty good here.
Imagine being caught dressing in a place like North Korea where they don't even permit the internet.

Loni
05-18-2010, 01:46 AM
America, the land everybody loves to hate.
America, land of the free, home of the brave...and some do it in heels.:heehee:

there is this news commentator, he once said something kinda like this. "pick a better country".

there is no place better than the United States of America.
so many freedoms on so many levels, people here take them for granted. i have never lived in another country, but have talked to many that have lived else ware, and all i hear is how there governments just run over them.
so yes we here in America do have it pretty easy.

Tasha McIntyre
05-18-2010, 04:02 AM
yes we here in America do have it pretty easy..

Here in Australia it's often joked that we are just another state of the USA. Sure, we have our fair share of neanderthals and associated rednecks but our freedoms pretty much mirror those you enjoy across the ocean in the US. Those freedoms extend to CDing (thank goodness for small mercies).

When I'm out and about I have had nothing more than the infrequent bewildered and amused "what the heck " look thrown my way.

Tash

Deborah Jane
05-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Here in Australia it's often joked that we are just another state of the USA.

It's the same in the UK, in fact we're are closer to the USA than we are to Europe in many ways, hell, we even speak the same language as America [English] :)

Tasha McIntyre
05-18-2010, 04:20 AM
It's the same in the UK, in fact we're are closer to the USA than we are to Europe in many ways, hell, we even speak the same language as America [English] :)

Maybe so Debs, but would any of the Americans be able to tell you this weeks spectacularly dreadful result in the T20 cricket world cup final?

Deborah Jane
05-18-2010, 04:24 AM
Maybe so Debs, but would any of the Americans be able to tell you this weeks spectacularly dreadful result in the T20 cricket world cup final?

Ahh, good point Tasha :thinking:
Two countries separated by a common language, I guess our closest relative is really Australia :)

pamela_a
05-18-2010, 09:00 AM

I'm forced to disagree with you on the language thing Debs. We speak American here across the pond. It's loosely based on the English language and there are a few similarities but it's certainly NOT the same.

Renelle
05-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Deborah Jane

I guess our closest relative is really Australia

Hold on there pardner, when's the last time you "put a shrimp on the barbi"?

Frédérique
05-18-2010, 09:40 AM
We sure complain a lot about the good US of A. Maybe we should think twice before opening our mouths.

You mean in terms of crossdressing? I have nothing to compare the United States of Distinction to, but I imagine there is no Utopian state anywhere on the globe where we can walk around unnoticed, un-challenged, or un-censored. However, I did see open, JOYFUL crossdressing on display in the stands at a Sri Lanka cricket match a few years ago – lots of smiles all around, no big deal. That was heartwarming, I can tell you…:)

LGBT rights in Iran took a huge hit after the Iranian Revolution in 1979. and in early 2006, the United Arab Emirates imposed six years jail on 11 gay men arrested at a private party. They were imprisoned not for sexual acts, but merely for being gay and attending a gay social gathering.

This reminds me of the TV program I saw about the phenomenon of Bacha Bazi in Afghanistan a few weeks ago. These are dancing boys, crossdressing for the benefit of their male benefactors/warlords. I was going to start a thread about this, but the crossdressing is only a minor element, stuck among the more distasteful aspects of this “culture.” The quite literally poor boys are apprenticed and trained as bacchás, and then they entertain at homosexual gatherings with their dancing – later they “entertain” in other ways as well, since this is child sexual slavery for the benefit of the socially powerful, taking advantage of underprivileged (but attractive) youths. At the very least, it was interesting to see homosexuality in a Moslem country, replete with music, singing, and dancing, but fundamentalists are against the practice and its proliferation (even though it is an older Central Asian tradition). To me, it was verification that all humans are essentially the same, a simple truth behind the propaganda, but I already knew that. Poor boys, though…:sad:

Leslie Langford
05-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm forced to disagree with you on the language thing Debs. We speak American here across the pond. It's loosely based on the English language and there are a few similarities but it's certainly NOT the same.

...because in the U.K when they get a flat tyre they have to open the boot of their Reliant Scimitar or Vauxhall saloon car to look for the spanner so that they can replace it with the the spare? Well, that safely done, they should hopefully be on their way forth with, assuming, of course, that there is enough petrol in the reservoir. But it's always best to check under the bonnet just in case there is another problem as well.

Of course, they could always enlist the assistance of a copper from the local constabulary to find a nearby garage to do any further repairs that might be necessary. And if he's really a good chap, he'll even take them to the nearest underground station that is near the roundabout just off the motorway so that they can take the tube to go to their destination instead.

And if they are transvestites en route to the Way Out Club for a night of dancing (might even catch a glimpse of Eddie Izzard there), no doubt they will be wearing their prettiest frocks together with seamed stockings held up by the daintiest of suspenders, as tights- even the sheerest ones from Marks and Spencer, Harrods, or Selfridges just won't do for such an outing.

But I digress...:heehee::D

Veronica Nowakowski
05-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I'll let someone else speak for me:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article25166.htm

The argument that because acceptance is much worse elsewhere we should just shut up and accept our demeaned role as people are driven to suicide is absolutely ridiculous. Why don't we compare our lives with those of sociopathic Wall Street brokers and medieval royalty if we want to bring irrelevant comparisons into it? Seriously, the way the transgendered are treated in America is wrong. Just as the Manson Family murders weren't suddenly okay in the realization that 12 million people were murdered in the Halocaust for various reasons, it does not make it okay for our treatment in the US because it's worse somewhere else.

Seriously, I find the statement seriously patronizing and detrimental to the self worth of members here.

t-girlxsophie
05-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Two countries separated by a common language, I guess our closest relative is really Australia :)

Once us Scots get out from under the Merciless boot of England we will have attained FREEEEEDOM
Only kidding Debs:hugs:

Scotland,The greatest little country in the world:thumbsup:

Deborah Jane
05-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Once us Scots get out from under the Merciless boot of England we will have attained FREEEEEDOM
Only kidding Debs:hugs:

Scotland,The greatest little country in the world:thumbsup:

I have to agree with this, otherwise Sheila [my Scottish wife] will slap me :sad:

zoe m
05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
ok, i have to respond to the america-firsters on here - yes, your country has a lot of cool stuff, but i´ve always thought that saying that your country is the best in the world is a form of collective psychosis that people in the states suffer from. i mean, top 50% sure, but the best? that´s just silly to say, even if it objectively were true (which i doubt it is). and i do like the u.s., btw.

on the other hand, on the specific issue of sexual tolerance, it´s true the u.s. has made huge leaps in recent decades which many countries have not. more so for gay people than for crossdressers or trans people, but still. so yeah, i would say as i have said on an earlier post that it´s easier in the u.s. right now. but there are still gay and trans people who get killed in the u.s. actually what i think it is is that there´s a more diverse range of attitudes in the states - you have the bigots but you also have these tolerant spaces. those spaces are more missing in many countries, that´s the difference.

i should mention that a lot of cultures have some form of traditional crossdressing - something that western civilization repressed for hundreds of years. it´s just that many of those cultures didn´t grow the same kind of modern, hip, freer crossdressing that the u.k., u.s., etc. have developed in the last decades.

Michaela42
05-18-2010, 09:46 PM
My parents are both veterans (Dad was drafted into Vietnam War) and he and my Mother always told me as a child about how great we have it here in the States. I did not truly understand what they meant until I joined the service and saw some of the world for myself.

And I am one of those obnoxious types that will say "We are #1!" all of the time, but I would think that any member of any nation would do the same. I mean it is your home for goodness sake, of course it is the best! The trick is not becoming too wrapped up in the propaganda and realizing that no matter the country, form of government, language, culture, etc . . . there is always something to learn from one another, despite our differences! :hugs:

Stephanie Miller
05-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Glass half empty, glass half full Veronica. I’m happy with America’s acceptance of alternate genders. Sorry you don’t see it that way. Could it be done faster? Of course. Should we stop striving? Hell no. Nowhere did I see it said that we should “shut up and accept”. The statement was about thinking twice before talking. For instance, inferring that ALL Wall Street brokers are sociopathic is like comparing ALL crossdressers are drug users. I know several brokers – not one is a sociopath. Think twice before talking is what I said. In some ways the transgendered ARE treated wrong – but have we done a bang up job in policing our own? There are some in the transgendered community that cause the general public to think in the poor way they do. The same as there are some in the Muslim community that make people think badly of them. Some in the white community that make people think bad of them, the same as in the black community that some think bad of them, the same as…… I can cover ANY race, religion or gender and come up with the same. If we continue to fill our eyes and ears with the bad we leave no room to see the good, in order to help it overcome the bad. I really don’t see the world turning into a utopia for any one section of society without harm to another. There has to be a balance.
That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be happy for the gains we have made – OR does it mean we stop striving for more.

Poor Lance. It was probably good for the author to leave. Malcontents are best served in a setting that makes them feel wanted.
By the way when are you continuing with your journey? Don’t forget to write or send us a photo of your Utopia. I want to see how it differs from what I would guess it looks like.

JulieK1980
05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I'll let someone else speak for me:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article25166.htm

The argument that because acceptance is much worse elsewhere we should just shut up and accept our demeaned role as people are driven to suicide is absolutely ridiculous. Why don't we compare our lives with those of sociopathic Wall Street brokers and medieval royalty if we want to bring irrelevant comparisons into it? Seriously, the way the transgendered are treated in America is wrong. Just as the Manson Family murders weren't suddenly okay in the realization that 12 million people were murdered in the Halocaust for various reasons, it does not make it okay for our treatment in the US because it's worse somewhere else.

Seriously, I find the statement seriously patronizing and detrimental to the self worth of members here.

These were almost my exact thoughts. In some ways we really do have a lot more freedom than a lot of other countries, and we have made significant strides towards more tolerance specifically related to transgendered and Homosexuality. But that doesn't mean its "good" as I still wouldn't feel particularly safe going out dressed in some states in this country, and crimes against transexuals do exist. If we stop fighting for more tolerance and understanding, we could very easily back-step.

Satrana
05-19-2010, 07:25 AM
but I imagine there is no Utopian state anywhere on the globe where we can walk around unnoticed, un-challenged, or un-censored.

You are quite wrong. There are several South East Asian countries like Thailand and the Philippines where large numbers of openly transgendered people can walk around without issues. Usually they are openly accepted by their families and local communities and are not treated differently. I have personally attended beauty pageants where all the contestants are young crossdressers taking the whole event very seriously and totally supported by their proud parents as the pose in their evening gowns. These pageants take place in every town across the country.

So when it comes to transgendered rights I can assure you there are much better places to live than the USA.

Frédérique
05-19-2010, 07:48 AM
You are quite wrong. There are several South East Asian countries like Thailand and the Philippines where large numbers of openly transgendered people can walk around without issues.

Well, that’s nice. Please read my previous post carefully and you’ll see I mentioned Sri Lanka in a positive way. However, I must say I have no idea what actual daily life is like for those transgendered people...

jenna_woods
05-19-2010, 07:52 AM
yes I agree and have thought of this my self, where else would we have so much freedom to dress and go out and about.

Satrana
05-19-2010, 08:25 AM
[ you’ll see I mentioned Sri Lanka in a positive way. Yes but what you saw could have been just a stunt or dare, it says nothing about whether their society is truly accepting.

However, I must say I have no idea what actual daily life is like for those transgendered people. You mean never having to be in the closet, never having to pretend to be something you are not, never having to be scared of stepping outside your front door wearing a skirt. Pretty good I would say. Of course they are living in a third world country so there are economic disadvantages and you wont find them in company boardrooms and professional offices etc. But otherwise they are able to live as normal a lifestyle as everyone else around them.

They are a common sight. Go to a shopping mall and you will see dozens of them just doing their shopping and hanging our with family and friends. I know it is hard for people to believe that there are some countries which have never had a problem with the transgendered - this goes back to their historic cultural roots. Indeed in Buddhist philosophy people who show their true selves and do not hide behind false masks are respected and honored.

AmandaM
05-19-2010, 08:43 PM

If'n you like Englishmen living like it's Southern California, you are correct!

Stephanie Miller
05-19-2010, 09:37 PM
So I waited. And I watched. Did the rest of you also notice that everyone that has posted (didn't matter if they were happy with the acceptance level of their country, or not) still came from countries that were still on the upper end of the acceptance level? I know we have members from other "non-accepting" cultures on this site. So why haven't they weighed in?

Frédérique
05-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Yes but what you saw could have been just a stunt or dare, it says nothing about whether their society is truly accepting.

I assure you that what I saw was definitely NOT a stunt. If it had been, I wouldn’t have reported it as a miraculous sighting – these visions are quite unique and special to me, and I need to tell you that I take crossdressing very seriously. I have seen crossdressing stunts on occasion, however. For instance, at another cricket match in London, some years ago, there was an entire row of males dressed as the Queen, complete with hats and handbags. They made it “on camera,” looking rather reserved in an amusing way, so I would say that qualifies as a stunt. The boys in Sri Lanka were different, part of a celebratory atmosphere during that particular game (part of Independence Day), and they were all dancing and smiling among their peers. But for the feminine clothing and a curious sense of happiness, you could hardly make a distinction between males and crossdressing males. From this I gleaned evidence of a culture or “community” of transgendered behavior in the sub-continent, but I want to sincerely believe that. I knew about Southeast Asia, specifically Thailand, but, like I say, I’m unaware of what life is actually like outside (or even inside) of the aforementioned community that may or may not exist in a specific country…

The thing that gets me is the dearth of crossdressing exhibitionism in this country, like the kind I’ve seen at sporting events abroad. It says a lot about the place, wouldn’t you agree? Other than ridiculous stunts for attention, such activities (tasteful or otherwise) would never be shown or tolerated in this polarized culture (my opinion), nor would anybody think of doing them in the first place. It’s too bad, because I think young people need to see something out of the ordinary to shake them out of the mindless complacency that passes for existence these days. The fact that I’m seeking out such rare and (dare I say) interesting slices of life tells you I long for a hidden world where everything is questioned, the basis for personal exploration both outer and inner. This is a work in progress…:straightface:

Did the rest of you also notice that everyone that has posted (didn't matter if they were happy with the acceptance level of their country, or not) still came from countries that were still on the upper end of the acceptance level?

It depends what you mean by “acceptance.” Whether or not we “have it good” is relative, but I appreciate a climate where secrecy can be nurtured according to one’s own comfort level…

Satrana
05-20-2010, 09:16 PM
The thing that gets me is the dearth of crossdressing exhibitionism in this country True but exhibitionism by definition is indicative of doing something out of the ordinary. That is what we are actually trying to get away from though, we want to be considered normal. In the SE Asian countries I was mentioning it would be irrelevant for TG boys to be in a crowd since they are just in their everyday clothes.

A quick wiki search indicates that TGs in Sri Lanka are discriminated against as homosexuality is technically a crime and most TGs work as prostitutes. I guess they are an unusual sight at a sporting event hence the spectacle.

I think young people need to see something out of the ordinary to shake them out of the mindless complacency Agreed but I would prefer them to see TGs looking and behaving normally so they also get the message that there is nothing special about the situation. There is a fine balancing act required.

In that respect TGs in the West are their own worst enemy in that few of them appear in public, and even fewer are comfortable being recognized and interacting as a TG person.
In SE Asia passing as a GG is not a goal as these TGs are interacting normally with society and so cannot hide who they are.

zoe m
05-22-2010, 10:46 AM
So I waited. And I watched. Did the rest of you also notice that everyone that has posted (didn't matter if they were happy with the acceptance level of their country, or not) still came from countries that were still on the upper end of the acceptance level? I know we have members from other "non-accepting" cultures on this site. So why haven't they weighed in?

i'm from south america, i did weigh in (see above). my country is probably not on the lowest end of acceptance level, but not on the upper end either. actually there's a lot of intolerance, but there's also crossdressers who go out and about in spite of everything, even if they're marginalized. and there's a general obsession with crossdressing at the level of jokes, etc., which i think says something about it being repressed.

JanetHarper
05-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Hold on there pardner, when's the last time you "put a shrimp on the barbi"?

:2c: No one in Oz says "put a shrimp on the barbie" (not in rural NSW anyway) or "Strewth" and the only person called Sheila I know is Welsh.

Sophie_C
05-23-2010, 04:28 AM
We sure complain a lot about the good US of A. Maybe we should think twice before opening our mouths. Let's hear from girls in other places that don't quite have it as good as us. I don't give it a second thought when I get changed and go to the mall to pick up a new dress or some make-up. How lucky we are. Now I know there are places where the "Sheriff Buford T Justice" still creates his own laws and sure there are a lot of bigoted, narrow minded, ill bred, ill informed etc. etc. (sorry, got carried away) type people in the USA, but as a whole I'm talking about.
For instance in Nigeria the crime of dressing as a woman is punishable by up to a year in prison. LGBT rights in Iran took a huge hit after the Iranian Revolution in 1979. and in early 2006, the United Arab Emirates imposed six years jail on 11 gay men arrested at a private party. They were imprisoned not for sexual acts, but merely for being gay and attending a gay social gathering.
I really don't think about hiding what I type, for fear of someone confiscating my computer and putting me in jail. Or worry about a knock on the door because a neighbor saw me as I walked past my bedroom window and felt "religiously compelled" to turn me in.
(Although it does make one question how many crossdressers are hiding under burkas where they can't be seen? Talk about camouflage!)
So, how about you girls from other countries enlightening us more ignorant about the ways of the world.

Sorry, I don't buy this garbage. Just because other places are utterly twisted doesn't mean we should thank our lucky stars that we're not. Yes, I am appreciative it is not like that, But, I believe that the bar for humanity should be set higher.

So, those other areas of the world have some serious work to be done, not that we're privileged, which is exactly what you're saying, ok? What you're saying is akin to someone being Jewish in 1940 and saying "thank God we're just alive, look at Germany!" when there's no inherent privilege in being simply alive. The other area is screwed up.

I don't like this thread at all, since it lowers the bar of what the world should expect of itself completely.

Andrea's Lynne
05-23-2010, 08:02 AM
True dat!

TxKimberly
05-23-2010, 08:32 AM
ok, i have to respond to the america-firsters on here - yes, your country has a lot of cool stuff, but i´ve always thought that saying that your country is the best in the world is a form of collective psychosis that people in the states suffer from. . . .

Why would you live in a country that you didn't think was the best? Of course we take pride in our nation and feel that it is the best in the world, and I'd fully expect you to take pride in yours.
The majority of Americans are well aware that our country has it's share of flaws, short comings, and faults. After all, no one and no nation is perfect. Still, given the choice, I would pick the USA to be my home every time.

Stephanie Miller
05-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Thank our luck stars Sophie? Hell, luck had so little to do with it - if it weren’t for the many people that fought, voted and worked their ass’s off to get where we, as a nation, are today. And we are still at it, and will be for a long time. If someone isn’t “appreciative” of that then I feel they should go find somewhere else to live. Do you feel the “bar for humanity” is just placed at some indiscriminate height because we ASK it to be? It is placed where it is because of blood and sweat of many. Yes, other countries have work to be done. That’s just my point. To show how our country has brought itself to the level of acceptance – albeit not as high as I think it should be- and how other have not. And we are where we are, not because we were given that “privilege” as if we are some spoiled little brat whining that it isn’t the way they want it, but hard work over time. Is there a problem with being thankful for what you do have – while still striving for better? You make it sound as if I am happy at the status quo and not willing to put forth any more effort. So far from the truth. When was the last time YOU were at a school or university informing classes on what a CD is? When was the last time YOU ventured out in public -knowing that someone was going to question what you were doing and you having the ability to educate them? When was the last time YOU were at a GLBT rally? I do these often. These are on the small scale compared to combat fighting for freedom – but I feel nonetheless needed. That is what’s so good about this country. You can hide in a closet and let others take the hits for your agenda – but still voice an opinion on this “garbage” and how it’s not just getting handed to you. I never said we were “privileged”. You put that word in my mouth. To appreciate where we are and how we got here does not – in my opinion – “lower the bar”. It makes me happy to see that we are making progress and should strive harder to do more.

Kayla Shadows
05-23-2010, 10:47 AM
In the US we do have it good compared to some.I was talking to a girl from Turkey who I met recently,not so good over there it seems.She wants to go out but other girls as well will not leave home or ever have anybody know who they are.

zoe m
05-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Why would you live in a country that you didn't think was the best? Of course we take pride in our nation and feel that it is the best in the world, and I'd fully expect you to take pride in yours.
The majority of Americans are well aware that our country has it's share of flaws, short comings, and faults. After all, no one and no nation is perfect. Still, given the choice, I would pick the USA to be my home every time.

The thing is, if you actually go to most countries, at least to Third World countries, people there don´t think their country is the best. Ok, at least it´s that way in my country. People here love their country, but they think it´s pretty messed up. It´s like this - you may take pride in the way you look and not want to change, but do you really think you´re the best-looking crossdresser in the world? Maybe you are, I haven´t had the pleasure of meeting you - but I know I´m not :) So my objection is not to people loving their country, but to them really thinking it´s better than others. I like the U.S., but looking at the facts it seems like Sweden has a better society. I still love the U.S. more because I´ve lived there and I have friends there.

JulieK1980
05-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Sorry, I don't buy this garbage. Just because other places are utterly twisted doesn't mean we should thank our lucky stars that we're not. Yes, I am appreciative it is not like that, But, I believe that the bar for humanity should be set higher.

So, those other areas of the world have some serious work to be done, not that we're privileged, which is exactly what you're saying, ok? What you're saying is akin to someone being Jewish in 1940 and saying "thank God we're just alive, look at Germany!" when there's no inherent privilege in being simply alive. The other area is screwed up.

I don't like this thread at all, since it lowers the bar of what the world should expect of itself completely.

Nailed it square on the head.

Sophie_C
05-24-2010, 03:52 AM
Oh, more explaning to do....

Yes, I am well aware "luck had nothing to do with it." I've knowlegable of the history of everything trans-related, from Chevalier d'Eon to Stonewall, to Jamie Clayton, the ENDA bills being messed up until recently, us being thrown under the bus by Barney Frank, etc. What I was saying is that we are lucky to have that happen before us. That we're "lucky" to be born now and have what we have today, already done by others.

Now, i'm sorry if you were thinking of it, but where in your initial post did you say "striving for better" here? I don't see it anywhere. All I saw was you acting like we're "spoiled brats" when you said "We sure complain a lot about the good US of A. Maybe we should think twice before opening our mouths." I mean, how else should I take it? It sounds like you're saying we're children in a candy store, wanting more, so we had better shut up, not demanding a higher bar for the world to follow (of course, forgetting that places like Spain are light years ahead of us, of course). Maybe all of those people who helped fight for the rights we have today should have thought twice about opening their mouths too?

I don't mean to belittle what you're saying, but I hope you see where i'm coming from, here. I think the current situation is crap. A comprehensive ENDA bill needs to be in law. Full-on minority-rights laws need to be set to apply, on every possible level, starting with a separate law for all the countless trans murders, that biased judges just let go. Transition should be considered a normal thing, addressed in youth, covered by insurance and considered something just typical by society. People should be allowed to follow whatever gender role they are most comfortable as, without consequence. I can go on forever with this, but I hope you see that we're somewhat saying the same thing here.

As for making "my own effort" as you are questioning (I must ask you the same), I will point out that I do all that's possible for being in the closet, meaning properly educating and correcting people in a way that makes my knowledge not obvious and going to GLBT pride events here and there, providing my support. I am not going to go down that avenue of "since I'm in the closet I should not have an opinion", since I believe everyone has the right to their own.

TxKimberly
05-24-2010, 10:23 AM
The thing is, if you actually go to most countries, at least to Third World countries, people there don´t think their country is the best. Ok, at least it´s that way in my country. People here love their country, but they think it´s pretty messed up. It´s like this - you may take pride in the way you look and not want to change, but do you really think you´re the best-looking crossdresser in the world? Maybe you are, I haven´t had the pleasure of meeting you - but I know I´m not :) So my objection is not to people loving their country, but to them really thinking it´s better than others. I like the U.S., but looking at the facts it seems like Sweden has a better society. I still love the U.S. more because I´ve lived there and I have friends there.

Well, I'm getting the impression that it would do me no good to expand on my thought process so I'll just answer your questions:
Nope, I do not think I'm the best looking cross dresser by a long shot. I've seen far too many pics of TG's that are truly stunning for me to have any illusions about that.

Yes, I really DO think that the U.S. is the best nation in the world. If the USA were to throw me out because I'm, oh, say, an ugly cross dresser, I would consider Canada and Australia. Personally I have a soft spot for Australians because they seem to be at least as irreverent and sarcastic as your average US citizen. Any way, YES, I do think the USA is the best nation in the world. :D

Billijo49504
05-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Why is it when some country has people starving, the Americans jump in to help. When there is a disaster any where in the world. Who jumps in to help. Our President's wife was even asking us to help Hait. When the sunamia hit, who's hospital ships were there first. BUT when we have a disaster, such as all the tornados that have been lately, WHO comes to help us. NO ONE!!! Why are all the Mexicans coming acrossed the border? It's not because their standard of living is so great. I read an artical in the news that rich Canadians were going to New York to get operations, that would have made them wait a long time for, if they could get them. Why in Japan do 3 generations live in the same house. I've been to Okinawa and knew a few people there, even went to their homes, Nothing like here. Sure it's not perfect, far from it. But it's home for me. BJ:2c:

Deborah Jane
05-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Having read this thread through I think the USA sounds great :daydreaming:

Any chance of me getting asylum there to escape where I am now?

Stephanie Miller
05-24-2010, 03:47 PM
You are right Sophie, I did not mention striving for better in my first post - NOR did I say we should be complacent and sit on our ass's because acceptance is at a tolerable level. I guess it's just the way I always look and work at things. I see where something is good - but never stop trying to make it better. I don't hold up a banner or talk about my intentions prior - I just do it. Therefore it was my fault by not adding the alternate.
The transgender/human rights issue is not the best here in the states. You bring up Spain as if it is the pinnacle we should strive for. (They just voted to give Great Apes human rights for cripes sake. I don't want to get into a PETA argument, but it's an animal not a "human". Keep animal rights separate from human rights.). Their acceptance needs work still. Do they have a level we should attain on our way past? Of course. They are ahead of us in transgender issues and I see that as good. But it did not happen overnight. It will not here either.
You say the current "situation here is crap". I do not think it is as bad as you make it sound. It has come a long way - needs to go further - but has come a long way. You want a perfect transgender world. Yes, that would be nice. But it will come at a cost. Who pays? It will come at a balance. A balance will take concessions by all. "Covered by insurance" , maybe. Maybe not. Some are not agreeable to the current healthcare for everyone, with only those that can afford to have to pay. (another topic in and of itself for another thread in a political forum). I just use that as an example of concessions. A change in societal as well as religious beliefs come with time, if at all. It is not something that will happen overnight. Possibly not even in yours or my lifetime.
But to get to my initial point - I am happy to be in a country that is above so many in the acceptance level. I want to hear from others, in other countries who do not have it as good. I want validation that the work that has been done, the lives that have been lost have not been in vain. I want to be proud that we are headed in the right direction. I want to hear it from real people that live it every day. Not the "unbiased" main stream media or special interest groups with their own special spin. Maybe the information we forgot about from our past, that is being lived still by others, might give us additional information to move further ahead faster.
I certainly did not say I was innocent of opening my mouth before talking. ( My wife will vouch for that :doh:) I, on purpose, said "we". What started me thinking about this thread in the first place was when I was walking to the men's room at the mall the other day. I passed by the women's room and just outside was this little girl doing the "have to go potty dance". She was mumbling about can't get jumper unbuttoned. I looked around and her mom was oblivious talking on the phone. As a GG I probably would have helped her in the door and helped her unbuttoned. As a plain clothed male or as a CD I would have been arrested. (even though my thought were as pure as the sympathetic GG's) It got me to thinking about how narrow minded the nation is. Of course that led to other thoughts and finally ended up with "even with all her faults - it's a damn great country"

Billijo49504
05-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Sure Debrah Jane, It's easy. I saw how it's done on 60 minutes. You get on a plane with your papers, then once you're in the air, you flush your paper down the potty. Then when you get here, ask for asylum. You get a court date and let go. Then just don't show up. Then go to the welfare office and apply....BJ:drink: