PDA

View Full Version : How to walk in high heels

kinkycd
05-18-2010, 09:08 AM
So I bought a pair of high heels about a week ago and I've been trying to walk in them but I know I look horrible doing it. The worst was a flight of steps. Any tips or suggestions on how to look feminine and graciful in high heels?

Kathi Lake
05-18-2010, 09:11 AM
There are actually plenty of resources out there, if you care enough to search for them - some on this site (use the search, Luke!).

The two main things to remember, put one foot in front of the other, and practice.

Kathi

ellenwannabe
05-18-2010, 09:45 AM
practice, practice and more practice - and when you get a bit better with them try running about a hundred yards or so in them and before you know it you'll walk better than 80% of the women that attempt to wear them - I love mine - enjoy yours - Ellen

Sweeterica
05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I agree just practice, try not to focus on how bad you think you look just do a few everyday jobs about the house, i bet you will suddenly find you walk very well. You didnt say how high your heels were,if you new to wearing any sort of heel maybe you should try lower one to get used to it then work up.Personally i find i walk terrible in anything over 3inches.Any way best of luck .

Blaire
05-18-2010, 10:25 AM
With a screen name of kinkycd, I'm having visions of 6" fetish shoes, not an auspicious beginning!

The biggest thing to remember IMHO is to shorten your stride. The higher the heel, the shorter you should make it. The rest comes with practice.

DonnaT
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Head up, shoulders back, arms in, chest out, and take shorter steps one foot nearly in front of the other. Heels touch first.

Going up the stairs, leave the heels off the tread. Going down, try a sort of side step, toes touch first.

suzy1
05-18-2010, 11:35 AM
If you use heels that are too high for you, they will push your knees forward and you will walk like an ape. Men and women are both bipeds and even the same species [I think?] so there is no reason why any of us should not be able to wear heels.

SUZY

suchacutie
05-18-2010, 12:42 PM
We all have our opinions on how to get there, and when you are completely comfortable in heels you will have your own!

So, in my opinion:

watch GGs in serious heels. They are almost dancing. The hips turn at each step. Steps are short. The heel usually doesn't hit first, but if it does it's not by much. They lead with their hips and the whole upper leg. The lower torso does twist at each step.

They do NOT stride as men do. You cannot walk in heels passively. Walking in heels is an aerobic activity :).

As for stairs, going up is not any different, really. Most places say to make sure the heel lands on the step as well as the toe, but both work for me. Going down is the issue as the knee will take more pressure having to bend it as you stride to the next step. The upper leg muscle must be strong. But, just look forward, keep your posture, and hang on to the rail the first time you do it, and many times thereafter.

With all this in mind...practice a little as often as you can.

Lastly, each shoe will take a little bit of a different technique. If you are strapped into the shoe it's a bit easier to learn, but then a strapless shoe, a clog, a full shoe but with no strap, are all different. Use the same technique for a clog and most other shoes you will "walk out of".

Practice!

tina :)

pernille d
05-18-2010, 02:40 PM
"you tube it " there are some interesting videos , i learnt a lot and i walk 1000 times better in 3 " heels than my SO does in her much smaler excuseses of heels .

practice,practice, practice , or just get out there and walk those heels its the only way girl !!!

Brooke A
05-18-2010, 08:20 PM
I will tell you how I navigate stairs when I'm wearing heels. I turn my whole body slightly to one side, about 30 to 45 degrees off center, so that my entire foot lands on the tread. This is fairly easy to do & provides much more support for you, whether going up or down.
Don't have a nice trip or a good fall.
Elegantly, Brooke A.

Cristi
05-18-2010, 08:48 PM
The funny thing is, where I work plenty of women wear heels and I don't think they know how to walk in them any more than you do! I see more than my share of girls/women in fancy heels 'clumping' along like they are trying to walk in sneakers.

So don't think you have to be perfect at it, most girls certainly aren't! It will come with time.

minalost
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
The funny thing is, where I work plenty of women wear heels and I don't think they know how to walk in them any more than you do! I see more than my share of girls/women in fancy heels 'clumping' along like they are trying to walk in sneakers.

So don't think you have to be perfect at it, most girls certainly aren't! It will come with time.

Cristi is so right about this. I see women all the time in heals who have less idea how to walk in them that I do. Also, as mentioned above, "You Tube" is a great place to learn to walk in heals. Some great instructional video.
:hugs:

Traci Elizabeth
05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
For most (me included) when starting to wear heels, our ankles are weak since we don't use our muscles in that elevated position.

Start off wearing them for very short periods of time to strengthen your ankles. You don't want to pull any ligaments or cause a sprain or worse broken bones. You may find your ankles are wobbling back and forth in the beginning.

Increase time in the heels each day. Soon they will be second nature as though you have always worn them.

Take "soft" steps. No "clunking" as you walk announcing to the world you are a "newbie."

Others have offered up some good tips too above.

NathalieX66
05-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, Rule Number One is Don't walk like Stompy the elephant. In fact, in the book Miss Vera's Finishing School for Boys Who Want to Be Girls explains that guys walk as if they are trying to take command of the ground. The trick is to float over the ground. This requires a certain amount of practice. "Raise your buttocks and make your legs appear longer" is the exact quote. She stresses keeping the legs close together, and carry the torso with the legs so the upper body floats smoothly. As a female your weight is on the balls of your feet.

kymmieLorain
05-18-2010, 09:56 PM
I got a coplement from my wife on V day. We were getting ready to go out. She was wearing the mother of the groom dress she had gotten. ( the wedding was canceled ) I mentioned that I wish I could wear a skirt. ( haven't dressed fully and never out of the house) She said you do have the legs for it and can handle heels better than me.
I don't wear heels that often so practice makes perfect. I am getting up the nerve to try dancing in heels. ( look for my broken leg story soon, LOL)

Kymmie

joann07
05-18-2010, 10:17 PM
It's simple, watch how a GG walks in high heels. Observe them from the side and from the front and pay careful attention to every single detail in what they do when they walk and then practice what you see.

One thing that typical everyday women do not do is walk with one foot in front of the other. The only time you would see women doing that, as well as really swinging their hips, is when they're in a beauty pagent or a fashion show because they want to look hot and sexy on the catwalk. If you do that in public, it's obvious your overdoing it and that's when people will notice something isn't right.

If you can focus on a particular person (i.e. friend, associate, aquaintenance, whomever) and watch how she walks, then go out and try to emulate her movements.

Women tend to walk with smaller steps and they're more graceful and fluid in their movements. Their backs are straight, never slouching, and they walk with this sense of confidence in themselves.

Once you've practiced it enough times, your walk will become second nature.

Hugs!

t-girlxsophie
05-18-2010, 10:25 PM
You just have to practise as has been said,maybe start with smaller heels and work your way up,even GGs have had troubles with their heels,Last xmas my wife while on a night out with her work,ended up in Casualty with a badly sprained ankle due to her 4inch heels,she was in crutches for ages,And the heels,well they ended up in the Trash

Maria in heels
05-18-2010, 10:28 PM
My thoughts and things that I have learned about heels.....first and most importantly, you have to get a good, no great pair of shoes. They have to fit comfortable, not too tight, and the "ball of your foot" area should not hurt when wearing shoes at all, unless you are standing for periods of time. Next, make sure to take steps that are about 2/3 of your normal stride, and no matter what some of the you tube videos say, it is not toes down first, then heel...your calf muscles will thank me for that hint! Practice with lower heels first...you didn't say what type of shoe you bought, or the heel height either...and , lastly, as everyone says...practice - practice - practice!!!

AriannaVillota
05-18-2010, 11:17 PM
When you practice the heels, exaggerate. Work it like RuPaul. xD

That way when you are out and about and in the heels, a normal casual elegant walk will be hopefully what happens. =)

I was told to pretend I'm royalty. Head high, back straight, short smooth strides. If I put one foot directly in front of the other I look like a penguin, so I usually aim for a couple inches away. Just my :2c: ^^