PDA

View Full Version : Night at the opera - third time.

jenniferj
05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
As I said in another thread, DSW and I just had an impromptu weekend trip to see the opera. We have done this three times now, and it just gets better and better.

I wore a long black dress of a drapey soft knit; the bodice is gathered from the shoulders down into a very deep V neckline. This was definitely the time for the girls to come out and play - and play they did. The combination of a ChicShaper (thanks for the tip, Karren) and a Qbra and a whole lot of pulling and tugging provided a very respectable amount of cleavage - people looked down my front the whole night.:o

The opera was magnificent (Wagner rules!) and the very elegant Lincoln center is just the place to show off your finest fancy clothes. As we waited for the doors to open, we each had a glass of wine and watched the other ladies stroll by; wonderful, wonderful dresses! BTW, DSW dressed pretty much out of my closet for this trip - it is so cool when we share clothes!

An interesting shoe story: I had brought two pairs of heels to choose between for that dress. One pair had a 3 1/2 inch heel, are black patent leather and consist of a single 1/2 inch wide strap over the foot at the ball and a heel cup with a skinny ankle strap - I've worn these before with other dresses. The other pair are black velvet open-toe Tstrap, with a 1 inch platform and a 4 3/4 inch stiletto heel. I asked DSW which she thought were better - and she went with the taller ones! (She wore flats). They are surprisingly comfortable and stayed on my feet for the whole show.

We had to walk maybe three blocks to get our cab, and a couple blocks once we got there. No problem - delightful high heel scrape sound as I walked (strutted?) over the concrete sidewalks and walkways. Same two blocks after the show with another one thrown in for moving up-block so a cab would pick us up. The cab dropped us off about 4 blocks from our hotel (the street was blocked) and we started to walk that last bit. I then I discovered that I kept falling off my left foot (to the outside) At first I thought that the tilt of the sidewalk was to blame, but I tried walking in the other direction and it still happened. Sprained ankle? No, I didn't have a any pain...

Finally I took the left shoe off ( I felt like such a tart, undressing on the street:battingeyelashes:) and discovered that the heel tip had warn almost completely away on one side (the outside) - thus causing the shoe to tilt in that direction and me to "fall off". I took off the other shoe and carefully walked the rest of the way in my stocking feet.

The tip is easily replaced, but I had never seen this happen before. It's something I'll have to watch out for in the future.

We scooted up to our room, I put the other shoes on, and we went across the street for drinks and a late dinner. I love New York!

-jj

KayleeDahl
05-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Sounds like an amazing gown! would love to see a pic

Hugs
Kaylee

carolinewalker_2000
05-19-2010, 03:07 PM
You lucky - (brave) - girl. I too am an opera lover and have fantisised about attending in a beautiful evening gown but have never had the opportunity/courage. Congratulations!!!

rachael j.
05-19-2010, 04:00 PM
I've worn off the heel tips on several of my shoes also. Such a pain. It's from scuffing your heels while you walk and the reason it's worn on the outer edge is due to pronation ( a natural bend in the ankle while walking). I envy your great adventure!

Mea GG
05-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow, what a lovely story. Oh, it just sounds fabulous. I think you'll always remember these opera evenings!

pattyv
05-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Was it the Flying Dutchman? I'm jealous of your elegant evening at the opera with your wife. Any photos? Thanks for sharing.

jenniferj
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Yes Patty, It was the Flying Dutchman. I mentioned it in the other thread but not here.

It was wonderful!

DSW actually took a couple of pictures the next night but they came out terribly. Besides, I am much too much of a wussy-wuss to post pictures. But thanks for asking!

-jj

Sophie_C
05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Sorry, I know almost all the lingo, but what's DSW, other than a shoe warehouse? :doh:

jenniferj
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
DSW is shorthand for my DearSweetWife who has been wonderfully supportive of all of this. I owe her a lot!
-jj

docrobbysherry
05-20-2010, 12:04 AM
No pics!?:eek:

If it had been me, I have 1000's!:brolleyes:

Michaella
05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I've gone to operas three times en femme, and yes, it is a wonderful opportunity to dress up, though I suspect it is better in New York than in Philadelphia though; not so many people here dress up to go out.

First time I wore a mid-calf length very slim-fitting black leather skirt and red blouse with black patent high heels and black nylons. The second time was another leather skirt, but full, in brown, with lace blouse, beige nylons and high heels in brown leather to match the skirt. The third time was with a couple of friends, and we went out to eat afterwards, which was good fun. I wore a slim black satin skirt and a irridescent blue blouse, blue nail polish (which I love) the black patent heels, and black nylons. Each time I wore a garter belt and stockings, much dressier than pantyhose.

I'd really like to go out to more such events dressed up and presenting as a woman. Don't know if it will be possible.

Michael