PDA

View Full Version : Doctor appt. Tomorrow - what i plan to wear

ellenwannabe
05-20-2010, 09:27 AM
I have an appt. with my female N.P. tomorrow and want to wear my white bikini panties, short shorts, bobby socks and sneakers and a tee shirt but don't think I'll wear a bra for this visit - this is my annual visit with EKG and the prostate check so it will be interesting how she reacts to my attire - I want to bring up the subject of T-blocking drugs as I have family history of prostste cancer plus I want desperately to block as much as I can for other reasons - if she mentions anything to me about the way I dress I plan to be honest with her about my CDing - I've read other posts here about doctor visits and am actually looking forward to mine - I'll post update soon - Ellen

kimdl93
05-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi Ellen,

I go to a female primary care doc and have always worn bikini panties. She's never batted an eye - or asked anything about it. I don't think it will be an issue for your NP either.

However, if you are interested in opening up a conversation you might want to bring it up yourself. I think both the health concerns and the personal preferences are legitimate reasons to discuss T blocking meds with her.

KayleeDahl
05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
You'd probably have a tough time shocking your doctor, I'd say be yourself, and be honest with her, and i'm sure you'll have a good experience.

Hugs
Kaylee

Annie D
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
On my first visit to my new female doc, I wore a feminine top, women's jeans, some clogs, small stud and small hoop earrings in each ear, light powder makeup, did my eyes and brows and wore a light pink shade of lipstick. I was underdressed, of course. I signed in and upon entering the inner office I was requested to weigh in and upon removing my clogs the PA couldn't help but to see my toenail polish. Since I knew that upon removing my top, whoever was in the room would surely see my bikini top tan lines, I saw no reason to conceal myself with male clothing.

Every visit since the first, I no longer wear pants/jeans but an age appropriate skirt or dress. I am always treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. My physician, who is Asian, spends a considerable amount of time with me, asks questions about my lifestyle and how "out" I am, etc. She seems to be interested in me as a person and not just a patient.

On my last visit of 2 weeks ago I learned that we go to the same Catholic Church and she said that if I saw her at mass, to make sure to say hello and she was sure "not to recognize me" dressed in male clothing. We both shared a laugh and she gave me the feeling that she was going to be looking for me every Sunday.

Cristi
05-20-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't have any men's undies, so when I go to the doctor I pick out the most plain cotton or nylon pair of bikini panties I have (no pretty patterns or lace!)

I'm sure the cut is still feminine enough that he can tell they are panties, but he's never reacted in any way. I think I'm going to come out to him on my next visit anyway. I'd rather have him know for sure than feel I have to hide something from him every time I visit. That way, if I have an emergency visit and happen to be wearing a bra or pantyhose, I won't have the added stress of him 'discovering my secret'.

I really don't think it will be an issue at all. The office I go to strikes me as the kind of place that would be very LBGT friendly.

Stephenie S
05-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Don't wait for your doctor to bring up the subject. He/she won't. You can't shock your doctor. Just think, they see people all day long. every day. They have seen it all.

If you want to talk about something with your doctor, BRING IT UP YOURSELF!!!! Doctors are not mind readers, and they are VERY busy. They don't care what you wear (and nobody else does either), and they have no time to waste. TALK to your doctor. There is no way on God's green earth that your doctor will pick up on a "hint" and bring up the subject of your wanting a "T" blocker. Just SAY IT!!! If you don't, it won't happen.

Be warned, your doctor will probably shut you off. The proper, orthodox way to do this is to see a therapist who then gives you a referral to an endocrinologist, which is where you get your hormones. Most doctors are not trained in hormone therapy and don't want to prescribe them. But do bring it up. You shouldn't be hiding ANYTHING from your doctor.

Stephie

maggiecdva
05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
You know I see this topic come up every now and then. Doctors are not concerned what you wear. I've always worn panties to doctors appointment regardless if its a male or female doctor.

I have to wonder if down deep we are hoping to get a rise out of someone, expecially if its a woman doctor. I will admit at one point I secretly hoped that I would. I soon found out that health care professional don't care and probably have seen worse than our undies.

On a more practical note ... if Prostate cancer runs in your family please take all the steps you can to do the right thing. And early detection does help. I am suffering with Stage 4 Metastic Colon Cancer. I orginally ignored signs of a problem 6 years ago and wonder if I would have avoided the problems I have now if I did the right thing.

Anyway stay healthy and happy!

hugs - maggie

Sheila
05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Ellen trust me you could go in full fem mode and your DR would not bat an eye lid, they are used to dealing with things and your dress will not even raise an eyebrow, you could always use this check up to discuss where you want to go/feel you are heading with your TG status :)

missdanie
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
As someone who might well walk into an exam room as someone's "new female NP," I have to say that feminine undergarments would be the most refreshingly un-weird thing I might see in a given day. It wouldn't faze me or any of my colleagues in the slightest.

The ensuing conversation on the topic, if any, would depend on personal style (of the NP, not the undies), the reason for the visit, and how jam-packed busy the day is. I have a lot on my mind during a visit, many things to assess, examine, and document.

One of the reasons I chose to become a NP instead of a PA or an MD is that I like the nursing model of care vs. the medical model. We're taught to assess holistically, and this includes many aspects of lifestyle that impact a patient's physical and emotional health. If it's on your mind, I want to know about it! If I get the sense that you're dressing up as a way to open a dialogue, I'll gently try to find out, sure.

In general, though, since I wouldn't say to a genetically female patient, "Hey, nice bra!" I wouldn't make any sort of off-hand comment about yours.

-D

ellenwannabe
05-20-2010, 03:41 PM
thanks ladies for all the comments and I feel more comfortable about tomorrow's visit now - actually I worked as an RN in an ER for over 10 years and have "seen it all" and am aware of the "shop talk" that goes on and I guess that is what made me anxious but now I realize that my N.P.will probably handle my visit the same way as I would have when I saw the panties and enlarged breasts and painted toenails on men visiting my ER on an unscheduled basis - when I noticed that a pt. was wearing pantyhose and was a little embarrassed with that I would pull up my white jeans leg and show him my white pantyhose that I wore daily and we then shared a smile and his visit was more bearable - I'll update how my visit was soon - thanks again for your support - your sis Ellen

sissystephanie
05-20-2010, 05:02 PM
My Cardiologist is a lady and my other 3 doctors are all male. Yeah, I am older and have lots of problems! They have all seen me in my silk or satin panties and have never said a word. My primary doctor's nurse did compliment me on a pair of hot pink silk panties I had on a few months ago. They all know I am a CD and don't care!! I do go in entirely femme sometimes!

MWCMDarlene
05-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Years ago, early 1990's, I injured my back at work. Was determined that I had a Psyatic (sp) nerve. I refer to it as my psychotic nerve. Anyway, I eventually ended up going to a chiropractor for treatments and manipulations. One day, I had an appointment with him in the late morning. i had been dressing in the early part of the day, wearing my wife's bra (don't do that anymore because I now have my own). It was considerably small and left indentation marks across my back. When I arrived, the nurse had me to remove my shirt and lie flat on my stomach in the treatment room. I had a 30 minute or so manipulation treatment, and there was no doubt that he could see the marks. I didn't realize the marks were there until i took my shirt off in the dressing room and saw them in the mirror. I thought about canceling the appointment, coming up with the excuse that I was feeling nauseated, but I thought, "What the heck?". The doctor never said a word to me about it whatsoever. I have often wandered what he thought and if he wrote down anything in my chart.

Loni
05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
my only fear with my Dr knowing, is that all info goes online for "storage" when someone hacks the system all well be posted for the world to know about.
unknow about my Dr, he might suspect/know all ready. (some ways he has treated me) just do not want my male name listed as such. some I know would just not understand.

Maija
05-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I have been seeing a cardiologist for the last four or five years every six months. I regularly underdress, but i didn't on days I went there. A couple of visits ago, I was wearing a pair of sheer knee highs instead of socks. When he was checking my ankles for swelling he says "Your wife's ?" --- I looked at him and said, no they are mine.

Nothing else was said. I have to go in next week and i plan on underdressing.

We'll see.

kathie225
05-20-2010, 10:50 PM
panties to wear when it's time to visit the doctors is plain bikini panties. Male docs don't seem to know the difference and my woman physician is in denial, doesn't know the difference or is being professional and not commenting. At any rate things go smoothly and their demeanor toward me hasn't changed. In many ways I think the fear that grips us at being found out (if we're still in the closet) is more imagined that real. Yet each of us must decide for ourselves and do what's comfortable.

Enjoy and good luck.......
Kathie

Kerigirl2009
05-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Reading about your concern that you will be outed because they might write something about you in your medical records. I guess it sould happen but are you running for office or just living your life. I know for sure that if my doctors looked through my medical record that they could figure it out because of the doctors I have seen and the insurance claims that I have had to explain over the phone and to the receptionist making the appointments.
This has been going on a year and you know what NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. I have even seen a doctor who is also a friend of mine that I used top play basketball with and who is a member at my church. Don't worry unless your running for office.
I have often thought about running for mayor of my city. :)

Mya Summers
05-21-2010, 12:06 AM
In my town I know the DR would say something if I was to go in wearing panties under my male jeans or wear a somewhat fem shirt, cause I live in a small town. But even if he did I would tell him, sure he might get a laugh or two out of it but oh well he knows I'm straight cause he see's my SO and children as well, even though he did question me when I had stripper pole accident on New Years eve and broke 2 bones in my back:heehee:.
But reallity is especially in bigger towns and city's a DR generally won't say anything to you.
Good luck

erickka
05-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Hi, Ellen, I agree that you'll have nothing to worry about, since I'm sure that a Dr. or a N.P. has "seen it all". IMO, it's not the clothes that they are interested in, it's the human body beneath them that they are caring for.

suzy
05-21-2010, 06:21 AM
I went to my doctor for a "routine" visit that turned into an unexpected test. I was wearing pantyhose and the nurse had me pull up my pant legs in order to attach some electrodes to my legs. She seemed bewildered and confused because she couldn't put the electrodes on over the hose.

Then she elected to place the electrodes on my chest instead and got the information that way. I was very uncomfortable and wished that I hadn't worn the pantyhose that day. Now when I go to the doctor I make sure to wear only male clothes and change back when I get home.:o

Claire Cook
05-21-2010, 06:30 AM
I've never gone to my doctors dressed, but have always worn panties. I have been upfront about my CD'sing to both male and female physicians. I told them I was trying Estoven for a while and when they told me that it could cause liver problems, I stopped. It's interesting that I am more comfortable with my female MD and her GG nurse practitioner.

Like the rest of you, there hasn't been an issue about wearing panties.

ellenwannabe
05-22-2010, 09:38 AM
again a heartfelt thank you to my sisters out there for your support and stories you shared with me - yesterday when I went to my appt. wearing my white bikini panties, short denim shorts, bobbi socks, sneakers and a tee, I was very surprised when the LPN called me into the exam room as it was a gal I used to run ambulance calls with 20-25 years ago and she got me ready for the N.P. exam and said nothing about the way I was dressed - I hadn't expacted that as I did not know she worked there - the N.P. was very professional and also said nothing and we had a conversation about prostate cancer risks and possible use of a T-blocker and she confessed that she had little knowledge of those drugs but said it might be a good idea and said I should take that up with my urologist - some surprise at first with my visit but all in all a comfortable visit and I'll now be more comfortable going dressed in the future - Thanks again - your sis Ellen