PDA

View Full Version : Taking too many pictures?

Jessica Kelly
05-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Is it possible that taking photos of yourself whilst dressed in woman's clothing can stop you from feeling feminine?
I had a mini revelation yesterday whilst I was dressed and it got me thinking... Every time I've "become Jessica" the last few weeks I've been so obsessed with documenting my looks by taking webcam and phone photos, and then either uploading them or editing in my remaining time as Jessica. It almost feels like an obligation to have some record of how I looked and, to be honest, it feels almost unhealthy.
Every time I get dressed (usually for a 2 hour period on wednesdays or thursdays) I take between 10 and 50 mobile phone shots and occassionally up to 20 webcam shots if I have the laptop to hand.
So yesterday, after taking about 10 photos in total, I stopped and looked around for something to do that would actually make me feel feminine and not like a manequinn. I ended up putting on some of my sisters old CDs and kind of singing and dancing along (the kind of dancing thats embaressing in public but fine when alone :P). I followed this by reading some magazines like Cosmopolitan and Real Women (haha irony) and then did some housework - which I did manage to make feel feminine somehow!
It sounds lame but I had such a blast and it made me realise that taking photos isn't all there is to my dressing life. Jessica just wants to have some fun!!!
Thanks for reading x

Deborah Jane
05-20-2010, 03:52 PM
I often take photos when I'm "dressed", then just carry on with my usual hobbies, go on the comp, reading, playing the Playstation, etc

Basically I just do as I normally do, just dressed "en femme" :)

paulinescotlandcd
05-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Yes, agree with you 100%. However, it is nice to look back and view the pictures between the times when I can't dress. I also think that looking at pictures you become quite self critical and, I like to think, you do try harder the next time to look that bit better.But yes,whe all the stuff is put away I sometimes wish I had just had a day in the house and not bothered getting my little camera out and just enjoy being dressed and nothing else.

ReneeT
05-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I do take photos most time i dress, but not all that many. I try and document each presentation and use them to work on my look. I am often amazed at how differrent what I see in the mirror vs thru the camera are! In particulal, i try to takee some profile and off-angle shots to "see" what the mirror doesn't show

msniki48
05-20-2010, 04:31 PM
So yesterday, after taking about 10 photos in total, I stopped and looked around for something to do that would actually make me feel feminine and not like a manequinn. I ended up putting on some of my sisters old CDs and kind of singing and dancing along (the kind of dancing thats embaressing in public but fine when alone :P). I followed this by reading some magazines like Cosmopolitan and Real Women (haha irony) and then did some housework - which I did manage to make feel feminine somehow!
It sounds lame but I had such a blast and it made me realise that taking photos isn't all there is to my dressing life. Jessica just wants to have some fun!!!
Thanks for reading x

Jessica, I don't know how long you have been dressing, but seeing yourself in a whole different persona...is exciting. So the picture taking for documentation is many times important. i see it as my evolution. i look back on about 11 or 12 yrs and see how i have developed and changed over the years. BUT your also finding there is so much more to being feminine than being a manaquinn. enjoy being a girl..we do!

hugs

msniki48

KayleeDahl
05-20-2010, 05:05 PM
I have been there too! the pictures are so helpful for working on your craft, but you have to remember to enjoy the time that you get as well.

So do what pleases you, and if that turns out to be photos one day, and dancing the next, then so be it!

Hugs
Kaylee

Lexine
05-20-2010, 05:11 PM
I do find myself taking more photos and documenting my look, but I don't think it's a bad thing.

The only thing I wish is that people would document me outside of my apartment in my looks so that I can remind myself that once upon a time, Lexi did leave the apartment to interact with the unsuspecting Los Angelenos population ^^

Super Amanda
05-20-2010, 06:09 PM
...I take between 10 and 50 mobile phone shots and occassionally up to 20 webcam shots....

That's it? At my best (worst?) I would take up to 150-300 digital pics in one night! I had around 15 GB of pictures stored at a point....

I did feel obligated, as you do, to get that visual record of my times dressed....Also I was trying to get as many different angles as I could to "see what I looked like to others", or so I thought. It was my time of realization, and after a while, it slowed down, and I even *GASP!* dressed and took no pics at all sometimes. Once I got over trying so hard to pass, and I came out to my family, the pics got to a healthy, every-once-in-a-while, or if I think I look really good that day! ;)

Kerrylee61
05-20-2010, 06:39 PM
I've been dressing all my life and in total, I think there may be about fifteen pictures of "moi". Interesting thing is that I'm a rather advanced prolific amature photographer.

Like I said, I guess I'm weird...:straightface:

Kerry

NicoleScott
05-20-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one that takes lots of pics. I take probably 50 or more pics EVERY time I dress, hoping to get just a handful of good ones. After the dressup session ends, and the clean-up and put-away is complete, I go straight to the computer so I can view them. I enjoy looking at them later, even years later. Taking pics document the session for me, and helps me look at myself at ways I can't see in a mirror, like at a side angle or where there aren't mirrors.
I don't have expensive equipment. Basically just a no-frills digital camera (but with a shutter timer - that's important. I wish I had a shutter remote), a mini-tripod, a clamp light for places where light is inadequate (I like Reveal bulbs), and a laptop computer to transfer from the camera's memory card, which also travels with me for hotel room dressup/photo sessions.

Barbara Dugan
05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
I agree with Jessica I haven't take many pictures lately but I am thinking video will be a step forward:hugs:

jenna_woods
05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
I always try and take pic of my self, it helps me find what i am doing wrong and tells me how great I look and feel.

Cynthia Rose
05-20-2010, 08:07 PM
I am in the camp that you can never take too many pictures. It's nice to see the progress you've made, and have something you can look back on. It seems we never regret taking too many pictures, but have regretted not taking any...

Sheren Kelly
05-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Taking photos for me is a special event, something I don't do often and usually for a specific reason. I try to do "normal" activities in my feminine mode. Does it make me feel more feminine? Not actually, but it makes me feel more "real" and at peace with myself.

msginaadoll
05-20-2010, 08:11 PM
I generally take pics every time I dres up completely-at least to go out. However I find In most cases I'm not really happy with them. I think if I ever get to the wowI think I'm gorgeous stage I will quit taking pics and seek professional counseling. I do understand what you mean you can get so fixed on taking pics that you dont enjoy the moment. That is why most of my pics take place before I go out.

Traci Elizabeth
05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Since I am transitioning, I take tons of pics at set intervals. Keep the good ones & delete the poor or out-of-focus ones.

I think it is important to have a record of the transformation I am going through. And I actually really enjoy them.

Nothing wrong with that.

But then again, my wife & I are photo nuts and I have to confess that every time we go on vacation, we wind up taking over 2,000 photos. Not all of us! :D

Sarah Doepner
05-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I think the only problem with taking lots of photos is the tendency to make that the focus of getting dressed. I started to worry more about finding the right backdrop and making sure I changed outfits as many times as I could. The photos were becoming the controling factor rather than just the enjoyment of getting en femme. Now I find that I'll dress a dozen or more times in between sessions where I take photos. Those are opportunities to relax, to try new combinations of things or do a little work around the house. I try to take a few photos when I get out with others. I like to document those moments because the time I share with them is special.

There is one other problem with a library of old photos. Now it's much to easy to see how much weight I have to lose.

dilane
05-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I've never been much of a photo person. First of all, I'm way too critical of the way I look and don't really want to spend time staring at my images :)

Second, I like to interact with the world (and with people, too!) I dress go to out, not to hang around and take pictures of myself. I take pictures mainly because it's nice to show someone how I looked when writing about an experience I've had. It also makes it much more likely that your posting will be read :)

I also think that whenever we're going to brag a bit about what we've done (I freely admit I enjoy the feedback I get when I write), it's only right to show this group what the world at large saw. It also helps that I don't think I'm very recognizable when en-femme.

-- Diane

TxKimberly
05-20-2010, 10:39 PM
For almost a decade I had exactly three pictures of Kimberly, all were from my make over with Jamie Austin. When I would feel depressed or ugly, I would pull them out and look at them and think to myself "See, you can be pretty". At some point the thought struck me that I looked so much younger back then, and even though at the time I thought I was plain, I now wished I had taken more pictures before the wrinkles arrived. That led to the thought that some day i may look back on today with the same thought - "Damn, why didn't you take more pics when you were younger?"
Shortly after that I bought a digital camera and started snapping pics. God help me, in two or three years I went from having only three pics to having a couple of thousand. The good news with digital is that it costs you nothing to take lots of pics. The bad news with digital is that it costs you nothing to take lots of pics. LOL
Having recently begun to feel embarrassed by the sheer number if pics I've amassed, I am cutting back on it. As with so many other things in my life, once I started, I took it to the extremes

docrobbysherry
05-20-2010, 10:55 PM
That way, you can take 1000's of individual frames in only a few minutes of relaxed filming!:D

That's what I do! Along WITH individual pics from my still camera!
My BEST pics USUALLY come from the video frames, tho! Because often, I'm NOT posing!:)

Angiemead12
05-20-2010, 11:49 PM
same here, I will document all my outfits most of the time, the nice thing with digital photos is I can delete the ones I dont like!

Kate Simmons
05-21-2010, 06:53 AM
I was never one much for pictures. When I came here though some were inferring I was not who I said I was, so I got a little camera. Not that I had to prove anything to anyone really but for myself it also became a tool for trying out different looks.:)

NicoleScott
05-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Doc, I take videos too, but the still frame shots aren't very sharp. Maybe I need a video cam with higher resolution.
About ten years ago, I began a scrap book for my favorite photos. I keep my scrap book with my femme stuff, so it doesn't increase my chance of getting busted. I have gotten lazy over the years, and just store my photos in the computer or on cd's or flash drives. I still enjoy looking at the scrap book and old images on the computer. I may update the scrapbook.

Does anyone else keep a scrapbook of their dressup photos?

t-girlxsophie
05-21-2010, 07:38 AM
I keep taking pics hopeing one day I will take a half decent shot,before losing the rag:itsok:,then I have to do something femme to relax again.

Crissy Kay
05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I take a lot of pics too with my new webcam. But, I still like looking at "Crissy"!!!

t-girlxsophie
05-21-2010, 07:47 AM
I keep taking pics hopeing one day I will take a half decent shot,before losing the rag:itsok:,then I have to do something femme to relax again.

MargaretJ
05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I am a vain old cow when en femme, I love taking pics of myself. When I first started, I used to photoshop them, and take out all the wrinkles, and fix the make up mistakes. I was really impressed with the look, but as I got better at the make up, I did less photoshoping, and as a result, I was no longer looking at the rose tinted version, and seeing the reality. It was a bit of a downer for a few months, but as I got used to the real me, I was actually much happier with myself. I actually hate being photgraphed when in male mode, but over the last year I have become more relaxed with it, and have been able to project a bit of my inner self when being photographed, so my crossdressing has had that benefit. As for the number of pics I will take at one time, it is usually in the hundreds, but I never edit them en femme, that would just be a waste of femme time. I usually save that for the next day.

Fab Karen
05-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Yes of course do other things, but you should know that young GG's like to take pics of themselves. On a tangent, at the end of her life, Betty Page would look at her famous pics from her modeling days & say,"oh I never looked that good."

Jenna Stunned
05-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Your only taking to many pics if your not enjoying yourself. Some people just like to dress and thats it, Others {Myself Included} Like to have photoshoots sometimes. Dressing is about enjoying yourself, So do whatever makes you happy. I myself, Take a lot of pictures. But half cause I like to and half cause I use them so see what Im doing wrong. How the flash makes my makeup look, Or how to better carry myself as a woman. So its really fun for me to not only take the pictures, But also to see just how much like a woman can I be.

So next time you dress up, ask yourself what it is that you really want to do. Then just enjoy the fact that your doing what you want while being Girly.:)

docrobbysherry
05-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Doc, I take videos too, but the still frame shots aren't very sharp. Maybe I need a video cam with higher resolution.
About ten years ago, I began a scrap book for my favorite photos. I keep my scrap book with my femme stuff, so it doesn't increase my chance of getting busted. I have gotten lazy over the years, and just store my photos in the computer or on cd's or flash drives. I still enjoy looking at the scrap book and old images on the computer. I may update the scrapbook.

Does anyone else keep a scrapbook of their dressup photos?

I purchased a new HD videocam over a year ago. I believe my pics r a bit better, but, so is my LITING now! :brolleyes:
Maybe u should work on your liting?

A problem with the new cam, it MUST be kept far away from me, to get my entire body in the frames!

I have a number of old scrap books with Sherry's pics in them, too. Because I used to DELETE all her photos while my older girl lived at home! :doh:
I stopped that about 3 years ago, when I came out online!:D Now, I seem to keep EVERYTHING, and have MANY 1,000's of pics on my computer!:eek:

maryannnite
05-21-2010, 06:51 PM
i take to many too but do like to it helps me see what looks good and what i thought looked good on me at a later time .

diane51
05-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Pictures, did someone say pictures? Lol I have a weeks vacation leading into Memorial day holiday and plan to spend some of that time taking pictures of Diane. She just can't help herself!!

Nancie64
05-22-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm kind of not tech smart. Would love to have some pics taken of Nancie but my SO is a little up tight with this. I did a short photo shoot at the Glamour Boutique in Vegas after having a make over and every now and than I pull them out and take a look and I love them.. Would love to take a video, maybe in the great outdoors. Trouble is, I like the dress up look, heels, nylons, full make up, the works. Will have to slowly work on my SO to maybe do this.

MargaretJ
05-22-2010, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=Jenna Stun;2155711]Your only taking to many pics if your not enjoying yourself. QUOTE]

Jenna, great comment.

Danielle Gee
05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I think the only problem with taking lots of photos is the tendency to make that the focus of getting dressed. I started to worry more about finding the right backdrop and making sure I changed outfits as many times as I could. The photos were becoming the controling factor rather than just the enjoyment of getting en femme. Now I find that I'll dress a dozen or more times in between sessions where I take photos. Those are opportunities to relax, to try new combinations of things or do a little work around the house. I try to take a few photos when I get out with others. I like to document those moments because the time I share with them is special.

There is one other problem with a library of old photos. Now it's much to easy to see how much weight I have to lose.

I agree with Sarah, sometime the need to take photos takes me over. Even though I have considerable freedom to dress from my spouse, she seems to imply sometimes that she can't understand my compulsoion to take photos.

Midnight Skye
05-22-2010, 02:53 PM
That's it? At my best (worst?) I would take up to 150-300 digital pics in one night! I had around 15 GB of pictures stored at a point....)

What Amanda said covers my experience of this aswell. I've literally filled my camera some nights... only to upload the pictures and feel like I was still missing what I wanted.

Unhealthy... maybe... but its hard to say so if you find yourself smiling in 90% of the pictures :o So if you feel depressed afterwards... backoff... but if you're still full of steam and somewhere off in pink-space. I'd say its not bad... unless you're putting off homework or loved ones! :hugs:

Jane G
05-22-2010, 05:27 PM
The joys of the digital age. In twenty five years I had two Photo's of Jane. In the past 15 years I have hundreds. It's great to look back at the Photos I have and a fantastic outlet to be able to share a few with the girls here.

daviolin
05-22-2010, 06:22 PM
OMG pictures of Daviolin. I have probally 10,000 digital pictures and 24 hours of video. I love photoshoots and lip-sync videos. Like the title say's I'm so vain:tongueout

Kaz
05-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I do understand where you are coming from Jessica...

Since I finally accepted Kaz as being someone who isn't going away, I have tried to work on her a bit, and digital photos are great feedback... not sure about the mirror/photo test, but...

But yeah, so when I get a real chance to be Kaz, I want to photodocument it, and this starts to become the "raison d'etre". Sometimes when I have been staying away, I have actually woken up realising I didn't take any photos and actually felt "guilty"... it is like I lost the opportunity to capture the moment.

I think we just need a sense of balance. Posting pics here has helped me figure out who I am and what Kaz looks like... or should I say "can look like".... Like most of us I don't post the "bad" ones, but then my SO has spent a large chunk of her life getting rid of bad photos of her (some of which I liked!)... so we are all vain really!

But yeah, do we do it to take photos or to enjoy? Some of the best times I have had in the last month haven't been photographed... which is a shame as I would have liked to have shared... but then I wouldn't have enjoyed in the same way...

Kaz xx

Carly D.
05-22-2010, 07:50 PM
There was a point where I wouldn't dress up without the goal of taking pictures.. I might have taken around a thousand pictures of myself all dressed up, and how many did I delete?? Absolutely none.. Obsessed??? I'd say so..

kristinacd55
06-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I take a lot of pics......& 95% get deleted!! lol :daydreaming:

Barbara Jo
06-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I've been dressing all my life and in total, I think there may be about fifteen pictures of "moi". Interesting thing is that I'm a rather advanced prolific amature photographer.

Like I said, I guess I'm weird...:straightface:

Kerry
Actually, I'm exactly the same way.
I never had an obsession with photographing myself.:)