PDA

View Full Version : bras

janetmellor
08-20-2005, 02:08 AM
Hi girls
Why is it that I can never get a bra that fits me properly? The first bra I had was a 34a cup which belonged to my wife. I never really expected it to fit me but I wore it because it was the only one I had (she never found out were it disappeared to). For my next bra I tried to measure myself from instructions in a lingerie catalogue and decided I needed a size 36b which I sent for and after waiting eagely for over a week it came. I must admit it fit much better than my first but I was still not satified the straps felt to tight even though I let them out as far as they would go. Incidentally I bought two one soft and the other underwired the underwired bra was much better. I have just measured myself again this time from a chart I found on the Lady-B-Ware web-site this chart tells me I need a 38c bra. Lets hope this time I have found one that fits.

Love Janet xxx

kazeparker
08-20-2005, 07:05 PM
It is recommended that two measurements are made, one of the chest underneath where the breasts are positioned, and one right above the breasts' positions (basically at the armpit). If the second measurement is larger than the first measurement by two or more inches, it's recommended to move up to the next size bra measurement for the band. Measuring the cups is a different matter though, I believe, and shouldn't affect the band size that you need for things to feel comfortable.

Marlena Dahlstrom
08-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Bra-fitting is an art rather than a science -- in fact reportedly most GGs wear the wrong sized bra.

FYI, the standard rule for band sizing (measurement below the bust + 5 inches) actually doesn't work that well at larger sizes, where you need to drop the amount of increase to 3 inches above 35 inches.

Shaping's has a good bra sizing chart, (http://shapings.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?screen=cstm&category=brasizing_1) and if you look around you'll find other resources online.

If you've done weight-lifting and built-up "lat wings" that can throw the measurements off a little bit. You usually want to subtract an inch or so from the band measurement, since they'll compress comfortably under the sides of the bra.

Cup size is calculated by the difference between the over the nipple measurement and the band size. Fortunately, we've got an advantage over GGs in that we can choose our cup size. Generally, smaller is better. If you're on the smaller side go B/C, if you're larger C/D. (Going over a C cup does make it harder to zip up clothes.) Shaping's bra fitting clinic (http://shapings.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?screen=cstm&category=braclinic_1) has good info on how the cup should fit properly.

When you order forms, you need to make sure to account for your pec size. Folks at a good store like The Breast Form Store or Glamour Boutique can help you get the right-sized forms.

Incidently, for forms a "full coverage" bra is best, since it will fully cover the forms. The less you see of the bra model's breasts the better. Do not use a sports bra -- they're designed to squash the breast down, much like a jockstrap, so clothes won't look right. Minimizer bras, designed for really big girls, do a similar things, so stay away from them as well. As you might have guessed there's different bras for different purposes. For example, long-line bras are often used with backless dresses (just as long as the exposed back doesn't go too far down).

Speaking of forms, convential wisdom for band sizing is to go up to the next even-sized band if you've got an odd-numbered measurement (i.e. 37). But you may want to go down a size because typically forms aren't attached to your chestwall, so you minimize the possibility that they can slide under the bra's band.

Another challenge is we're often bigger in the shoulders, which makes the straps not always long enough. But the band, not the shoulders, should support the bulk of the weight of the breasts anyway.

A final challenge is that different bras have a different amount of stretch. My Victoria's Secret bras don't stretch very much, so I had to go up a size compared to the cheap bras I bought initially, which stretched enough I could've used them for slingshots.

Unfortunately, unless you go into to a bra fitter, the only way to figure it out is through trial and error. So it's often good to start with cheap bras and only move to the quality bras after you've narrowed down your probable size.

But if you get frustrated, just remember you're living out a true GG experience. ;)

CharleneCD
08-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Another problem with bra's is that like all clothes sizes are not standardized. I go with a 38c but wife bought a 40d for herself and it wouldnt even fit me. I do find that most of the marked sizes are accurate but there is the occasional off one.

Natalie x
08-21-2005, 06:13 AM
Borrow an Avon catalogue and look at the back, they give a chart and guidance on measuring :thumbsup: