PDA

View Full Version : how to keep cool ?

Loni
05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
how does one keep there cool when wearing a wig. i find just eating a meal i over heat and must take the wig off.:eek:
it is a shoulder length wig. looking at buying a short cropped style? would that help?

Jessy
05-20-2010, 11:21 PM
You'll have it with shorter style wigs too. After all, you're wearing something on your head and especially on warm days, it can get a bit sweaty underneath.
If it's more the hair itself bothering you, you can always wear it in a ponytail to keep it out of your face.

Chris7ina
05-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Don't know if it will help you but I keep my boy hair really short.

Loni
05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
i am lucky to have any boy hair on my head. :eek:

Angiemead12
05-20-2010, 11:42 PM
even real hair is warm, I usually tie my hair up or clip it up!

Stephenie S
05-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Sweetie, wigs are hot. That's why I don't wear them. There's really not much you can do about it. Real hair is hot too, though, but you can flip it around to help cool your head. If you want the look, ya gotta live with it.

KayleeDahl
05-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I usually keep the AC a little higher :)

But seriously, a hair clip near the top back of your head will keep the hair off your shoulders and alot of your neck which will help you feel cooler.

Hugs
Kaylee

Jenny Doolittle
05-21-2010, 07:55 AM
OMG I love it.... reading all the post,,,,, we are a bunch of girls!

TxKimberly
05-21-2010, 07:58 AM
I usually keep the AC a little higher :) . . .

I'm with Kaylee! I turn the AC down to "Arctic". Not much help when you leave the house though . . .

bianca66
05-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes, eating is an artform if you do not like eating hair...Usually I tie it back with an elastic at home...When going out to eat I find that hairspray down the sides of the face keeps things together so you don't get those pesky single flyaway hairs that are attracted to your fork.

JenniferB
05-21-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm not a fan of wigs. Oh sure, I wore one for a long time, but not anymore since my hair grew out. Yep, way too hot, especially in the south. :heehee:

sometimes_miss
05-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm with Kaylee! I turn the AC down to "Arctic". Not much help when you leave the house though . . .
Which is just another reason not to leave the house. Just kidding. GG's go through this with real hair; ex-wife said during the summer, it's like having a blanket on her head, so she always had it back in a pony tail. Basically, your body is trying to shed heat; another option is making sure you have plenty of other body surface areas uncovered. Oh, and, lose weight. Turns out fat is a great insulator to keep you hot.

Jenny Green
05-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Not just the hair, but how do you manage to keep your makeup looking nice when it's 95 degrees and humid?

Loni
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
well i have the added problem of just being a hot person :D:eek:.

not that way. i just produce a lot of heat. always have,(my ex loved it as she is a cold hared :eek: ) and i work in a very cold truck unloading frozen foods, in just a thin pair of pants and short sleeve shirt.(most of my fur is shaved off) can not take the heat when it gets over 80F out side....but i am not moving to the frozen north. burrrrrr.
and yes i use the ac a LOT.

just seeing if maybe a trick or too out there.

DonnaT
05-21-2010, 10:41 AM
When choosing a wig for hot weather look for lightweight hand tied wigs; each strand of hair is tied by hand to a base and can be combed in any direction like your natural hair. These wigs are softer and cooler to wear than traditional machine wefted wigs.

In addition to hand tied wigs you should also try to purchase a wig with a breathable base. Anytime you see a wig described as capless, open cap, comfort cap, or monafilment that means it is constructed with a breathable base and will provide you with the most comfort during the summer months. Less material in the cap allows for greater air circulation and a cooler head.

docrobbysherry
05-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Hang with the "in crowd"!:devil:

No, seriously, keep your shoulders, arms and neck uncovered. That works for ME. And, I wear a silicone suit and mask!:eek:
As well as a wig!

Yes, Bianca! Last year at the SCC, I chewed off a number of strands from my wigs during meals!:heehee:

Cassiecd
05-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I do not mean to sound trite here...but I LOVE hair so much that for me it is part of the price I pay to enjoy my long girl hair!

That being said, i agree with most of those tips: keep other parts bare to aid in cooling (shoulders, etc) and keep the ac on low!

joann07
05-21-2010, 12:17 PM
I have no issues keeping cool when wearing a wig. Here in Florida, I deal with the heat and humidity and it doesn't bother me at all.
It could be the type of wig you're wearing.
Used to wear synthetic wigs, but now all I wear are human hair and I always wear a wig cap.

Hugs!

Ronni Seymour
05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=Loni;2154985]how does one keep there cool when wearing a wig. /QUOTE]

A/C, A/C, A/C! But, if you find another way let us know.

joandher
05-21-2010, 03:47 PM
The Lady at the wig shop that i go to told me to allways wear a wig cap, i do and dont have any problems with over heating, try it they are only cheap i have about 5/6

:hugs:

J-JAY

msginaadoll
05-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I wear a wig cap. i like Joann also find that my human hair wigs are cooler. I know many folks say the are too expensive but I pay about $90 for mine and they appear to be decent quality.