PDA

View Full Version : What are the best Trans Friendly Universities/Colleges?

inessa
05-22-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm interested to find out if anyone knows which colleges/universities are the most trans friendly. I guess what I mean is which is the most friendly campus environment and perhaps even the surrounding community. Thanks!

Sedona
05-22-2010, 08:25 PM
I think that instead of looking for trans friendly colleges, look for trans friendly communities first. That said, I've personally seen trans students walking around campus at San Francisco State University, Portland State University, and UC Berkeley, and nobody batted an eye from what I saw. Honestly, I think you'll be okay at most universities if you approach it right and pick a campus with a liberal record.

If I were you, I'd definitely find out if the campuses your looking at have an active GLBSA (google this). Contact them and they'll let you know what the situation is.

Stephenie S
05-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Unless you plan on attending a conservative religious right university, ANY university is OK. Really. Any university. You will NEVER be in a more accepting environment ever in your life again. There is no better place.

Stephie

Schatten Lupus
05-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Most Universities have a very diversified lifestyle. Last time I visited Ball State (which is where I plan on going) I saw fliers for a pro-pot group, GLBT group, Bible group, and a few others. Unless the campus is a religious one, most Universities are known for being liberal.

Annie D
05-23-2010, 06:23 PM
How about Central Delaware University? CD-U.......

JenniferR771
05-23-2010, 09:57 PM
So sad. Religious Hope College of Holland Michigan is probably out of the running.
Anti-gay policy.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/10/hope-college-gay-policy-c_n_569729.html
Likewise Methodist Spring Arbor University--fired a cd professor--Julie Nemicek who was a fine person and outstanding professor.
http://www.heartstrong.org/HeartStrong/SpringArborUniversityDisrespect.html

Tranny Tee
05-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Send a letter to Bob Jones University asking about their policies regarding transgendered students, it might be good for a laugh.
Most colleges in most reasonably progressive states will be very accepting. Many religous schools will not be.

georgia_937
05-26-2010, 11:49 PM
I go to Rhodes State College / Ohio State Lima branch (a combined campus) and I've not experienced any problems (though this is my first quarter). With over 5000 enrollment, I know there are some other groups represented here - for example, there is an active Wiccan group meets regularly and advertises in the campus online newsletter. I have frequently underdressed ( and it's kinda hard to hide the stockings under the jeans - just cross your legs and find out) with no comments, and I know my (female) English Comp instructor is in a committed relationship with another woman (and noone cares). I've shopped in drab for women's underwear at the local Walmart, and they know me at VS as a good customer. I feel that college towns in general have a much more tolerant attitude than the general population. Hope this helps.:battingeyelashes:

tamarav
05-27-2010, 06:24 AM
I worked on 7 of the 9 campuses and for the Office of the President in Berkeley in the University of California system during my career in human resources. At every campus I found CDs, either active or attempting to remain quiet.

Most university or college campuses are pretty liberal places. You really wouldn't believe what I saw on the Berkeley campus, no one paid any attention to anyone.

Madame George
05-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Since it's unknown where you are geographically, or what discipline you're interested in pursuing, that's not an easy question to answer. There are a lot of liberal art universities and colleges that have gender identity and expression in their nondiscrimination policies all over the country.

I would suggest you start looking into which schools have the program you're interested in, and are in the locations you're considering. Take that list and check out the nondiscrimination policies of those schools. Take those schools' locations and check out the nondiscrimination policies of the city, county, and state (if relevant) those schools are located in.

Personally, I would also check to see if any of the cities have specific trans organizations or LGBT centers since that is a good indicator of a present and possibly active trans community.

Ruikki
05-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I go to a small private liberal arts school in Illinois... Illinois Wesleyan University... I dont know of any cross dressers around my school. Its a small campus, (2500 apx) so everyone knows about everyone here. Im not considering myself a fulltime dresser so Im not out to anyone. We do have a solid LGBT group here on campus and there is even a transvestite ball every year which is a night for us crossdressers to really strut our stuff without anyone noticing... well I guess they notice how well we do it and then start to wonder. I know Im going to make a HIT next year but I have to find out how to do it without making people ask too many questions...

AKAMichelle
05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
With today's generation I would say any of them. They all seem to be far different from when I went to school.

Madame George
05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Since it's unknown where you are geographically, or what discipline you're interested in pursuing, that's not an easy question to answer. There are a lot of liberal art universities and colleges that have gender identity and expression in their nondiscrimination policies all over the country.

I would suggest you start looking into which schools have the program you're interested in, and are in the locations you're considering. Take that list and check out the nondiscrimination policies of those schools. Take those schools' locations and check out the nondiscrimination policies of the city, county, and state (if relevant) those schools are located in.

Personally, I would also check to see if any of the cities have specific trans organizations or LGBT centers since that is a good indicator of a present and possibly active trans community.

If you want better feedback on your thread you might consider providing some details such as your intended major or interests, the size of university or college you think you would prefer, and an idea of what area of the country you're looking at.