PDA

View Full Version : Too Sentimental to Purge?

Jezebella
05-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Currently putting away a bunch of my old clothes in plastic storage tubs because, alas, many of the dresses from my high school and college days no longer fit me. I'm not sure they ever will fit me again, either. But I can't seem to bring myself to throw anything out. Too sentimental, I guess. There are memories attached to nearly every item I look at. Just wondering if any of the rest of you girls have ever had this problem... or if I'm just a hoarder on top of being a CD. :heehee:

Maria in heels
05-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I have to tell you that I have several of my "first" purchases and no, I don't wear them anymore..they are hanging in a special closet, just so that I do have them...You will learn over time to keep a few things, and others you pass to fellow sisters that befriend you, or just donate because you can't keep everything!

KayleeDahl
05-22-2010, 08:25 PM
I am holding on to a couple LBD's that I am 10 lbs away from fitting back into... but I KNOW i'll get there. Its all about willpower and wanting it.

Maybe share the ones that you are sure you'll never use again with someone in the community? then you'll know they are going to a good place

Hugs
Kaylee

AmandaM
05-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Geez, I still wish I had some of my 80's skirts.

Jocelyn Quivers
05-22-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm also unable to get rid of any of my first outfits I bought even though they no longer fit me. I also like seeing what I thought was attractive when I first started dressing and how my dressing styles have changed.

Dressing Jill
05-23-2010, 01:13 AM
I have pursed to many times. I now control myself and put things in storage. I wish I had some of the clothes back. I still wear the same size I did 30 yrs ago. Sad Sad Sad. All the clothes have come back in style several times.

Stephenie S
05-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Just look at any woman's closet, dear.

Jenny Beth
05-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Guilty as charged. I still have the very first bra set I got for Christmas :D more than twenty years ago as well as my first pair of high heels.

Jezebella
05-23-2010, 02:22 PM
I came to a compromise. I'm keeping the most favorite of my first dresses, but I'll be giving to charity the other things in teen misses sizes that I've been holding onto all these years. I'd have to shrink a few inches in height and lose a number of pounds to get back to the size I was at age 16 to ever wear any of those clothes again. Better to free up some space in the closet and reward myself soon with something new. ;)

Kickin' Crosser
05-23-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm regretting getting rid of the first couple of items I got my hands on when my CDing became a more prominent behavior in my life. :o

clandestine322
05-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't think I have anything left from the time I first began. Doesn't matter anyway as I am hardly that size any longer!

Jenny Green
05-24-2010, 08:16 AM
The "cure" to my purging was when I realized that Bali had stopped making my then-favorite bra, the Sky Bali, and I'd thrown all my clothes away. While shopping one day ("for my wife"), I found 2 remaining Sky Bali bras in my size, 5 months after they'd been discontinued. I bought both, and haven't purged since, which was 10 years ago.

So, I now have some things that can't be bought any more, including a bra from Montgomery Wards, and, yes, they have sentimental value as well as real value, as purging is just expensive, as almost all of us know.