PDA

View Full Version : hormone blockers?

Myojine
05-24-2010, 11:55 AM
So due to my military situation...
Do you think it would be adventagous to for me to use hormone blockers until i can get on female hormones? or would it be at my age pointless?(im 20)

Traci Elizabeth
05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Do you think it would be adventagous to for me to use hormone blockers until i can get on female hormones? or would it be at my age pointless?(im 20)

I think you need to see a doctor for that answer. Plus I am not sure what you are seeking for a result.

Katesback
05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeppers the doctor is the one to ask that question to.

Karen564
05-24-2010, 03:25 PM
I know if I was 20 again, I sure would...

Monica93304
05-25-2010, 12:21 AM
When I was 20 I should've come out and gone on hormones. My body would've developed nicely...

I know that doesnt answer your question, but I would love to be 20 again.

jennifer easton
05-25-2010, 12:38 AM
amen to 20 again!! and the old saying go's and know what I know now

StaceyJane
05-25-2010, 10:23 AM
You really should wait until you are out of the military to do anything.
Then see a therapist and discuss what you want and make a plan together for accomplishing it.

The military just isn't a good place to start transitioning.I know you want to but you still have time.

Traci Elizabeth
05-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Being a long time military person myself, you need to keep in mind that it could be a crime under the UCMJ for you to attempt to alter your body while on active duty. And if anything that would alert a military doctor to a foreign drug when you get your routine annual physical could be reported.

Bottom line, I would hold off until you got discharged from active duty.

carolinoakland
05-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Doctor time....

Myojine
05-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Being a long time military person myself, you need to keep in mind that it could be a crime under the UCMJ for you to attempt to alter your body while on active duty. And if anything that would alert a military doctor to a foreign drug when you get your routine annual physical could be reported.

Bottom line, I would hold off until you got discharged from active duty.

good thing im not on Active duty then right? im National Guard, and chances of me ever being deployed are like...next to none now. GREAT! (not great, i wanted to go) anyways hormone blockers to stop any more male development, not to start transitioning, i just wanna stop before anymore "damage" is done.

SandraM
06-04-2010, 01:15 AM
By all means, talk with a knowledgeable civilian doctor about it first before starting testosterone blockers as the others suggest (which I assume you were going to do anyway because you are "smart" enough to consider that there may be negative consequences in your particular case medically, and you are already planning on being monitored by the doctor and getting hormone blockers using prescriptions from the doctor, not from some street girl or opportunistic internet pharmacy, right? :) ) Of course any knowledgeable civilian doctor worth a hoot will insist on an evaluation from a qualified therapist before writing you a script for the testosterone blockers. There are a few servicemen, including a brave fighter pilot who has been on full hormone therapy for nine months, that have recently came out as transsexual and asked to transition in service. I suspect they will be medically discharged, but we'll have to wait and see in this changing era. I am former military myself, so I understand your situation completely. You can ask your doctor to keep your status confidential, the same of the therapist you might decide to see.

However, we digress from the root of your question, which was whether or not it was advantageous to start at the age of twenty. Here are a rundown of the potential benefits for you to consider (I suspect you may know them anyway, but want to hear it from someone who has been there done that):

Benefits:
Stop excess bone growth (or "damage" as any m2f would call it) - you will continue to grow extra bone structure in your orbital sockets and forehead ridges due to the effects of testosterone (man tough, man fight, man need to protect eyes from other neanderthal men). An anti-androgen (such as spironolactone) will help save you a ton of $$ on FFS procedures later in life which could be necessary to remove excess bone in this area to help you "pass" as a women. Some older m2f girls don't have this procedure, but many of them simply can't because it is so darn expensive. It is also possible to stop additional bone growth in your hands, shoulders, rib cage, etc., that would occur otherwise without testosterone blockers for several more years as a young man.

Impede facial hair growth - Although at 20 you probably already have some facial hair, it will continue to grow much thicker and more dense as you age for many more years. If you are going to transition, you need to stop this facial hair advancement as soon as possible. Again, this will save you much $$ down the road, and much pain from electrolysis.

Impede male body hair growth - You probably don't have much body hair at 20 (I didn't at that age), but it will start coming in faster and faster as you age. In your 40s you will begin to look like a lemur or other furry mammal with a carpet on your back and only small patches of bare skin to be found, and it will be completely disgusting to you as a female stuck in that furry rug of a body. Body hair may be reduced later in life if you wait to start hormone blockers, but it will not all go away. The earlier you start hormone therapy, the better it will be, and save you possibly some more $$ on body laser surgery or electrolysis.

Impede male pattern baldness - if you wait until MPB has set in and lost some hair, then you face more $$ to replace the lost hair in the crown/top/widows peaks (if you even have enough donor hair later).

Stop progression of voice any lower than it already is - self explanatory. Your voice will possibly continue to get bit deeper for a couple more years without testosterone blockers, but not too much deeper than it already is at age 20.

The root of the story is the combination the above will help you to obtain a more feminine face and body later. The hormone blockers you asked about will help stop the male testosterone "damage" that you will have to pay $$ out the nose to "correct" later. Trust me on this, I am going through it in my late 40s. Transitioning from male lemur to female homo sapien hottie in your 30's and beyond (if you choose) is not cheap in many cases. Of course this also depends on whether you want to strive for "passing", or are comfortable with your body and soul just as it is.

However, the secondary female sex characteristics such as wider hips, breasts, puffier cheeks, smooth/translucent skin, longer eye lashes, etc., will not kick in until you actually start on female hormones (estrogen) after exiting from the military (if you wait).

Many times I wish I had started at your age. But then again, I have lived a good life and have a wonderful grown son... which brings me to the consequences of starting at your age: Are you sure you never want children? The combination of anti-androgens and estrogen will chemically castrate you after only a few months of use (possibly 3-6?). Even taking only the anti-androgens (testosterone blockers) by themselves for a while may have long term sexual reproduction consequences. Do not start hormone blockers if you do not have an answer to that simple question: Do you want children down the road?

Simply_Vanessa
06-07-2010, 07:22 AM
as a 20 year old on testosterone blockers....i say YES! anything you can do to help delay the masculinity will help in the end..

CharleneT
06-07-2010, 11:21 AM
How much longer do you intend on staying in the NG ? I think that may affect your decision on things like the androgen blockers. If it is only a couple of years, I'd wait for sure.

BUT, as others have said, go see a doctor. Probably better if she/he is civilian.

Schatten Lupus
06-07-2010, 01:41 PM
If your starting to bald, the military might allow some drugs like propecia. I don't know what military policy is though.
I was trying to get on it myself (because at 23 I have a nasty, almost uncoverable case of male pattern baldness going on), but I lost my job and lost my insurance.